Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Literally every kickboxing organization is unable to stay open for more than like 2 years, meanwhile a fat boxercise instructor who maybe met a mob guy once turned HUMAN COCKFIGHTING into a massively profitable sport. It'd be hilarious if it didn't deny us cool fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Yuriy posted:

What is this

Thai boxer names are typically a combination of a "fight name" that is given to them when they go pro + the name of their gym. For example, Buakaw used to be Buakaw por Pramuk and now he is Buakaw Banchamek.

Saenchai used to be Sanechai sor Kingstar.

Also somtimes the last name is a sponsor instead, like this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yodsanan_Sor_Nanthachai.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

That's a pretty cool fight. It's really nice to see good kickboxing fights from people other than the 15 names I already know facing off with each other in endless recombination. I really liked Tiger Shorts guy's style throughout the event, even though he ultimately lost.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Triticum Guzzler posted:

this is the best and worst thing i've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNIM453_dgg

this just in, orangutan fighter Badr Hairy arrested on multiple battery charges after incident in Amsterdam bakery. Authorities say there is a possible banana smuggling connection. More as the story develops

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Triticum Guzzler posted:

1:30am EST on ESPN2. Congrats every body, we did it: kickboxing is now in exactly the same position it was in the 70s.

will that be before or after the iska "break bricks while laying on a bed of swords and kiyaiaing" contest?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Triticum Guzzler posted:

So the Kid/Masato "rematch" is now not going to take place because the producers found out Kid has a lot of tattoos: Lol.

Afraid it would look like yakuza involvement?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CommonShore posted:

How does adding two more bad judges fix anything?

2 are reserve judges. If a judge issues a bad decision he is beaten to death by Badr Hari and a reserve judge takes his place.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i used to love watching Chuck Norris's World Combat League at like 2am on spike or wherever it aired. That poo poo was so silly. Team-based longpants kickboxing, a passivity rule so intense that you would get warned and docked by the referee for basically ever backing away or circling ever, and Pat Barry was in it for a while.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LvK posted:

I found some DVDs in the dollar bin recently and I am in love with that goofy, goofy kick show.

Longpants kickboxing gets my respect, not really great to watch but whatever. WCL, on the other hand, was fun as hell. Everyone seemed to go into WCL with a karate-rear end-kick fantasy, and matches ended when one person was better at realizing their vision than the other.

and others were exactly what you'd expect, and it's similarly great:

Also for some reason the guy who hosted the "best knockouts" dvd kept calling the heavyweights "big boys"

serious question: Were the classic long pants kickboxing rules just an American thing? Or were they enforced elsewhere? I know there were different ruling bodies and different restrictions and etc. but was, say, the Dutch scene drastically different than the American scene back then?

in that second gif, i've seriously seen wcl refs call passivity on a guy for backing up as much as the red pants guy. they were that serious about balls-to-the-wall let-me-bang-bro punchouts.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
badr hari's mole is actually a tiny demon that has slowly been taking over his body and making him violent. one day it will finish incubating and burst free, and as he lays on the ground dying from the wound, he'll ask a passing stranger where he is, and how he got there, before finally mumbling in some incomprehensible long-forgotten language and fading into nothing. only a golden syringe and a tablet depicting strange geometric arrangements of molecules will be left behind where he lay.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lid posted:

A KICKBOXER said to be in a gay relationship with Cristiano Ronaldo has been arrested over an alleged assault at a luxury hotel in Morocco.

Amsterdam-born Badr Hadi, 31, who now lives in Morocco, is said to have been detained upon touching down in Casablanca airport following a trip to Brussels.

The kickboxer, who became the first ever K-1 heavyweight champion in 2007, stands accused of assaulting a waiter at a luxury hotel over a drinks order, then breaking the nose of a man who tried to stop the attack, The Sun reports.

lol that gay people are still so strange to people that they need to specify "gay relationship" instead of just "relationship".

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

kimbo305 posted:

Tbf, if you didn't know the gender of the name Badr, you'd never know if he was male from that phrasing.

right, but i guess my point is why does it matter? the interesting part is that a famous soccer player's significant other beat a bunch of people up and got arrested. throwing in the gay part just makes it seem like they think the gay-ness of their relationship makes it more lascivious than if a straight guy beat a bunch of people up and got arrested.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

coconono posted:

Badr sucking Renaldo's cock while he was beating up hotel staff(like a snorkel)?

lol, now im imagining badr just carrying renaldo around by clamping his dick in his mouth like a scuba rebreather.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

david carmichael posted:

He doesn't even drop his belt

i think if he maintained top control long enough he was going to flip the guy over and do a get mah belt son type of scenario with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Triticum Guzzler posted:

just try and tell me you want kata in the olympics and wouldn't rather see one of these fine athletes get a medal. just try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7zsNaj_PN0

this sport is perfect for the olympics tradition of extreme wastefulness involving construction materials

i loved watching this poo poo at 2am on TNN when i was a kiddo. one time this guy laid on a bed of katanas and then broke bricks next to him with his elbows. it was so unnecessary but SO loving COOL to my 9-year-old mind