Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Seltzer posted:

Is this Romanian guy any good? He wasn't that convincing the few times I've seen him.

Who knows? All I know is that Rico is really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

I want to show the people that kickboxers are not criminals or bad men

Holzken on what he wants to project on his reality show.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The ref just blew it. Anways Amrani looks good but the whole coming out of the gate at 100% thing seems like it could hurt him. I really wanted Maykol Yurk to win because I'm a big fan of his name.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I'm only half paying attention but it seems to me like Holzken's just hanging out and doing gently caress all and getting outlanded by Murthel

He is but it seems intentional. He hasn't got hit hard yet.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

That was frustrating. Holzken waited for too long and didn't commit enough when he started fighting harder. He hit Murthel harder on the few combos he actually initiated but Murthel outlanded him with sloppy strikes like 2 to 1.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I actually closed out the window thinking Holzken got blown out on the cards. Lol, amazing

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Despite glory having like 3 robberies on their last card I can't enough kickboxing. Reminder to all that ESPN3 is free and streaming in the US.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

And to top it all off, a foreigner weighed in 1lb overweight so he starts the fight deducted a point and also his Japanese opponent gets to wear thinner gloves.

lol. Please tell me the foreigner won.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

This was a really cool read. I'd love to hear him on rogans podcast. The kickboxer episodes have all been really good so far.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Imagine instead of watered down karate and tkd in the olympics we had glory rules kickboxing.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

just try and tell me you want kata in the olympics and wouldn't rather see one of these fine athletes get a medal. just try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7zsNaj_PN0

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I had no idea Glory 33 was running in Trenton with Verhoeven headlining but now I'm 100% going and incredibly amped.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

So I got tickets to Glory 33 but I'm not sure when to show up. The event "starts" at 5:30 apparently but news about the event says this.

quote:

GLORY 33 will air live on ESPN2 at 11 p.m. ET, headlined by heavyweight champion Rico Verhoeven (48-10-1, 12 KO) defending his strap for a record fifth time against Anderson “Braddock” Silva (40-14-1, 25 KO).

I assume the 11 pm portion will have all the stuff on the main card like the featherweight tournament so how are they filling time from 5:30 to 11 pm when I only see 4 superfight series fights on the undercard? I've only been to UFC and boxing shows before which are far easier to figure out when to show up. Anyone have advice on this? I was planning on showing up at like 8.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Anyone? Anyone been to a Glory event before and know how they space things timewise?

Also if you're in the tristate and on the fence this deal is a steal
https://www.groupon.com/deals/gl-glory-33-kickboxing-new-jersey
Sun Bank Arena is small so there wont really be a bad seat.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

What time does it say doors open on the tickets? Because they've had a long standing habit of saying things are broadcasting "live" when they're on several hours tape delay

5: 30 EST. I assume the card will start at 6 and I see 4 super series fights. from my ufc experience undercard fights generally take 30 mins to set up and finish. So I guess there's a chance the main will start at 8 possibly? still seems a bit early for a weekday event. I wish there was accurate info as to when stuff will be happening live and not "live"

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm trying to find the final answer on event timing for glory 33 elsewhere but I found this

quote:

This Friday night, Glory presents Glory 33 New Jersey, featuring a pair of world title fights. Glory 33 airs live this Friday, September 9 with a fight time of 11:00 p.m. ET for the main card on ESPN2. Before that, the Glory Superfight Series will air live on UFC Fight Pass with a fight time of 8:30 p.m. ET.

So I guess the main does start actually at 11 and isn't tape delayed? I don't think I've heard of fight pass delaying anything before. There's no real explanation as to why the doors are opening 3 hours before 8:30 though.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Apparently theres 19 fights and the card starts at 5:30 "main at 8:30" according to the arena. I only count 10 fights on the glory event page which is confusing. I guess the guy mightve been referencing the undercard listed for the event that fightpass is showing as the start of the main card. I'm gonna play it safe and show up at 8. Worst case scenario I see one undercard and the main otherwise I should catch all the advertised stuff. I don't know who in their right mind would go to this event from like 5 pm to 1 am.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Wilnis just wrecked Marcus and it was awesome, has that broadcasted yet?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Marcus protested for like half a second

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ray Longo is in attendance

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Weidman too

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

This card rules

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Glory 33 was a really fun event. I recommend anyone attending if they run near you. A few notes- the one negative was that the arena was only about 50% full. Of that 50% only about 25% seemed like they were kickboxing fans, the rest seemed to be there to watch people get beat up for only 30 bucks. UFC events have a lot more knowledgeable people or at least casually knowledgeable people in my experience. Essentially, the atmosphere could've been better but it did get loud for the bigger fights. I don't know why they ran in Trenton in the first place. It's not really a fight town in and it's basically right in between two massive markets that they probably would have done better business running a show in. We showed up a little after 9 right in time for the Parry vs McDonald fight which was perfect imo because the card went on quite awhile and the rest of the undercard looked pretty trash. The upside of the event being thinly attended and long was that security didn't give a gently caress and we walked down to seats incredibly close to the ring a few matches in. Every fight we saw was awesome except for Gerges vs Inocente.

Two main highlights 1- Wilnis vs Marcus 2- A drunken man in his 50's dressed like he just came from a horse track proclaiming "New Jersey is the best country in the world". :agreed:

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 10, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I might've said this before but I was like 4 feet from Ricco Verhoeven after the last glory card and he looks just as cartoonishly jacked in person.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

If you thought olympic boxing judging was a loving mess...

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I just heard Yao Ming invested in Glory last year??? Where are they at as far stability and plans going forward right now. They seemed to be doing well around ~2013 with good fighters under contract, good cards, and good tv numbers. It seems like it's been downhill since then. Watching Ricco Verhoeven in a half full arena in Trenton while fun, wasn't encouraging.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

MrBling posted:

oh also, sorry for double posting but Glory is coming to Copenhagen later this month. Is it worth the $130-$170 for seats near the ring?

Slightly different situation but I paid like 20 bucks to watch this card in New Jersey

https://www.glorykickboxing.com/en/events/view/391

The arena was half full and we ended up walking to about the 5th row. It was absolutely awesome and one of my favorite live sporting experiences. The original seats were good but being ringside was really cool. If it's not too much of a hit to your bank account and Glory doesn't come around your way that often I would leap on it. Quality kickboxing is hard to come by live most places.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

airing on Spike in Holland

Airing on Spike from Holland? Or airing on Spike in Holland?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I wish all this good kickboxing wasn't happening behind vpns at 4 am

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

So I was reading this article about the mental maturation of this hothead Serbian soccer player and stumbled across this great quote.

quote:

football saved him from a life he would rather not imagine.
‘My father tells me I would have been a criminal or a kick-boxer,’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4766100/Newcastle-s-Aleksandar-Mitrovic-insists-grown.html

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

There was a 6 month window or so where Ghita was my favorite combat sports personalty for some reason, eclipsing my massive GSP and Miguel Cotto fandom.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

More importantly I googled Krist Novoselic bagel and amsterdam and found nothing....

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Glory is still trundling along it just kinda pissed away it's chance it actually being relevant. The card I saw last year was honestly my favorite live sporting experience. Granted 99% of my sporting experiences are watching philly/ny teams getting blown out at home but whatever.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

If this is on tv at a normal time I'll watch

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i know there's different rules for thai boxing specifically and all the different promotions are a nightmare of organized crime and corruption, but how many thai fighters would be world class if there was the equivalent of a UFC of kickboxing?

are there just tons of dudes toiling in obscurity to westerners even moreso than the normal kickboxing mess? like this guy's fight with tenshin was great but even diehards in this thread had like no idea who he was

Late on this but yea it's sort of the case from what I can tell. The rules and culture are different as dunc noted and the other point I would add is that I'm pretty certain that the gyms in thailand have huge amounts of control over their fighters which makes it hard for them to negotiate stuff overseas.

Also punches either don't score or are scored less (I've read conflicting stuff about this) so there has traditionally been a lack of focus on boxing skills in MT as Dunc said. Basically from what I can tell punches only score if they are really significant and that's of course up to a lot of intepretation (this website outlines it decently well I think https://khunkaogym.wordpress.com/2012/05/22/a-laymans-guide-to-scoring-a-muay-thai-fight/). One of the ways the first wave of successful farangs made a splash in thailand was by exploiting the thai boxing deficit and chasing knockdowns and KOs. Ramon Dekkers and John Wayne Parr are examples of this (though JWP had thai style training as well).

Dekkers V Coban 2 is always worth watching. A huge milestone for the boxing aspect being appreciated in MT and farangs in the sport. It's also just crazy as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=277jm2NhymA

Also I may have linked this before but I think John Wayne Parrs documentary is really cool if you're remotely interested in MT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixMij3Gx4nU

e- ^ part of the reason I hope muay thai in thailand stays untouched- all the traditional and quirky stuff is so drat cool. "anyone who got a knockout on a nationally televised fight was gifted a gold chain." I've said it before but I'd willingly fork over 10 bucks a month for an HD feed of lumpinee fights. I'm sure I could use a VPN or dodgy sites to watch Thai sport tv or whatever but I haven't put effort into investigating it. Apologies for the word salad, i'm tired and trying to remember stuff from when I went through a MT viewing kick like two years ago.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

MrBling posted:

at least Badr Hari vs Hesdy is on last, so you can just stop watching before it starts.

What are you talking about. Badr is the draw man. How can you pass on that theme song.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I did not know the glory card was at 1 pm. Thought it was on at night.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

where can I find glory online? I've been watching soccer all day so I haven't dipped in yet.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Triticum Guzzler posted:

espn3 i think(?) if you're in america

Ah cool yeah. Probably gonna watch this on my phone at the park like a crazy person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Well espn3 has locked content now when it never used to. I got to watch entrances and then was locked out...