Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Willie being silenced by the dutch kickboxing Illuminati

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I still think about this video from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDZ5tg98Ak8

e- wrong thread sort of

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

So years ago now, on one of John Wayne Parr's interviews on the Rogan podcast, he mentioned a bloodsport-esque tournament that happens once a year where Burmese fighters and Thai fighters go head to head in a tournament where hands are wrapped with rope instead of gloves and the only way to win is by knockout. I filed that away in my head and thought it sounded like an exaggeration or something; a spectacle too insane to be true. Well recently I found out about Burma's version of MT and I now do not doubt that story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lethwei

Important parts below

quote:

Lethwei is considered to be one of the most aggressive and brutal martial arts in the world, because the fighters fight bareknuckle with only the use of tape and gauze on their hands.[2] The use of fists, elbows, knees, and feet, but more surprisingly, the head makes it a very unusual martial art. Although disallowed in many combat sports, in Lethwei, the use of headbutt is encouraged. This is the reason it also known as "The Art of 9 limbs".[3][4]

In ancient times, matches were held for entertainment and were popular with every strata of society. Participation was opened to any male, whether king or commoner. At that time, matches took place in sandpits instead of rings.[7] Boxers fought without protective equipment, only wrapping their hands in hemp or gauze. There were no draws and no point system—the fight went on until one of the participants was knocked out or could no longer continue.

Well naturally I had to see some of this. There is a very very new org out of Burma trying to bring Lethwei to a wider audience the rules are largely the same except there are now decisions. The org's website doesnt work but their FB page is active and has english info up. It seems they are trying to court Cambodian fighters and fans as well which is an interesting wrinkle

https://www.facebook.com/worldlethwei/
A little highlight clip from the last card- https://www.facebook.com/worldlethwei/videos/2041030902843655/

They have KSW calibre card names (Knockout Wars, Heartless Tigers) and they're running an event soon that I will try to watch and document for this thread.

quote:

Roeung Sophorn vs Yan Naing Tun at WLC: HEARTLESS TIGERS confirmed! After a 18-month hiatus from WLC - World Lethwei Championship, Yan Naing Tun returns a renewed man having won 10 of his last 16 bouts in his time away.

He will be facing the best fighter in Cambodia today, as Roeung Sophorn makes his World Lethwei Championship debut in a fight that will be watched by millions in his home country.

This will be a fight not to be missed! WLC: HEARTLESS TIGERS, 29 September 2018, Thuwunna Indoor Stadium, Yangon, Myanmar.

e- ill try to figure out how to watch this in the US

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 22, 2018

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Well Burma has been a regional pariah for ages now. They have a lot of people and this is their martial art. I assume there is a decent amount of local talent as I doubt lethwei fighters have really been given a green light to travel or train much elsewhere. I have no idea how the Cambodian striking scene is structured but if they tap into that as well I think they could have a decent amount of talented fighters on their roster. Throwing money at middling Thais could always work too.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

So I contacted WLC and they actually got back to me within hours. Pretty surprising. Anyways they said they don't have live air in the US, and that the card will run on Fight Network 3 weeks afterwards. However looking at their page it looks like they are on a lot of platforms so finding a stream shouldn't be too hard. They're on the Southeast Asian answer to Netflix (Iflix) apparently so maybe I'll sign up for that with a VPN. They also have Canal + and Fox sports listed as carriers, but they don't say in what regions. It will probably be on basic cable in Cambodia too judging by the "millions of Cambodian fans line"

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Apparently there was a card from another lethwei org on the 19th and the WLC openweight belt holder retained, but this also happened.

https://twitter.com/inxxane/status/1031136605296316422/photo/1

.....The fight ended in a draw because the congolese guy got up and they were officiating it traditional style.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The punches in bareknuckle are generally less powerful because they don't have the added mass of gloves and fighters are worrying about breaking hands but I don't know how much that matters in the big picture when full bore headkicks are involved

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Also I spent days trying to penetrate the Burmese internet to figure out how to watch this event live and I'm coming up empty. Canal + Myanmar doesn't stream, fox sports Asia doesn't have the event on their schedule and Burmese streaming inst a big enough market for our Russian pirate friends. I think some Burmese people on youtube just youtube streamed the last event live which I assume worked because I doubt WLC has a big anti-piracy team but I don't even know when the event is airing EST to even look for the streams. I was going to try and skype some random Burmese WLC fans to figure out how to watch this but I've been busy.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

WLC contacted me last night

quote:

We have just signed a deal with Fite.tv so you can watch WLC live from anywhere in the world.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I couldn't find the event after they messaged me but it's up now

https://www.fite.tv/watch/lethwei-heartless-tigers/2obcw/

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Tenshin vs floyd mayweather is going to happen in rizin

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Mekchu posted:

UFC Fight Pass put a collection on of The Best of World Lethwei Championship

https://www.ufc.tv/category/best-of-world-lethwei-championship

I've willed this into existence. Does psp still do mma watchalongs or no?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I dont recognize anyone on the card but I'll just quote my old post.

Seltzer posted:

Glory 33 was a really fun event. I recommend anyone attending if they run near you. A few notes- the one negative was that the arena was only about 50% full. Of that 50% only about 25% seemed like they were kickboxing fans, the rest seemed to be there to watch people get beat up for only 30 bucks. UFC events have a lot more knowledgeable people or at least casually knowledgeable people in my experience. Essentially, the atmosphere could've been better but it did get loud for the bigger fights. I don't know why they ran in Trenton in the first place. It's not really a fight town in and it's basically right in between two massive markets that they probably would have done better business running a show in. We showed up a little after 9 right in time for the Parry vs McDonald fight which was perfect imo because the card went on quite awhile and the rest of the undercard looked pretty trash. The upside of the event being thinly attended and long was that security didn't give a gently caress and we walked down to seats incredibly close to the ring a few matches in. Every fight we saw was awesome except for Gerges vs Inocente.

Two main highlights 1- Wilnis vs Marcus 2- A drunken man in his 50's dressed like he just came from a horse track proclaiming "New Jersey is the best country in the world". :agreed:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I've checked out of kickboxing for awhile. Is Glory still around. What are the top promotions and how do you watch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

canada jezus posted:

Glory 80 kicking off in 13 minutes. It’s got van soest, badr hari and ben sadik on the card.

Where to watch.