Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Kickboxing is the good sport. WHen people are kickboxing, the crowd goes "wow", it's good, clean fun for the whole family. The man on the street loves to see kick boxing, and that is why a variety of criminals gave it to him, until too many of them were shot, chainsawed, jailed for murder, jailed for tax evasion, or ran out of money. So now there's really only one game in town.

https://www.gloryworldseries.com

Glory is the spiritual successor to K-1, it was actually going to be K-1 (and they own a substantial part of the tape library or something) but criminals love to do stupid business dealings. In execution it's more like the spiritual successor to It's Showtime, but It's Showtime was cool as hell. They run shows all over the world but probably shouldn't, and are focusing on the American market.

How do I watch it?

They have a TV deal with Spike TV and are on there regularly except for when they take 3 to 4 month breaks for no reason. They're also starting to hold PPV shows in addition to the free TV stuff, starting with a middleweight 8 man tournament.

Upcoming shows
Glory 16 - Denver :siren: THIS SATURDAY :siren:

Main card:

Karapet Karapetyan vs Marc de Bonte - 5 round WW title fight
Pat Barry vs Zack Mwekassa - HW tournament reserve fight

HW contender tournament*
Anderson "Braddock" Silva vs Sergei Kharitonov
Ben Edwards vs Errol Zimmerman

*(Since Glory have moved towards having actual titles, tournaments are now used to determine contenders, except the contender tournaments are actually a second string tournament, with the winner being placed in the world tournament, which has its own separate title from the championship, and the world tournament winner eventually fights the champion)

There's also a "superfight series" on the card, which is just undercard stuff that you have to pay to watch live, or wait for them to upload it days/weeks later on the website for free.

http://www.k-1.tv

K-1 still exists, but it may as well not because it's loving miserable and impossible to follow. What happened to K-1? The parent company went bankrupt and they sold to a Korean businessman who has no loving idea what he's doing and it has limped on in this weird quasi-dead state for years. You may have heard the phrase "Mirko Crocop, K-1 World Grand Prix Champion" but please ignore that. They just signed Paul Daley for a year since he's been slapping people to death with his left hand recently. That's worth watching for free.

How do I watch it?
On their loving garbage Ustream poo poo that never loving works right every 6 months when they hold some turdulous show. This was supposed to be a stopgap until their TV deals kicked in 4 months ago, which of course never happened.

Upcoming shows

This one in July, Buakaw vs Kehl, Souwer vs Somebody Else, Paul Daley. They've apparently moved to a number system for their shows since it looks embarrassing to hold the 2013 MAX finals in July 2014.

News sites
https://www.liverkick.com is basically the only dedicated one, however recently MMA sites such as
https://www.mmafighting.com
https://www.bloodyelbow.com
have some coverage.

Other weird goings on
Some guys in Dubai are holding a 1 million Dirham tournament starring Badr Hari, Peter Graham, Arnold Oborotov, and Stefan Leko. Guess who's winning that? Also Peter Aerts and Dewey Cooper (lol) will be on the card

One of the Japanese orgs started putting their fights online, here's Noiri vs Tetsuya Yamato
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R1RMpGE2nE

Watch Glory this weekend. There are 3 stunning fat men in a tournament, in Denver, and the only one training at altitude is Sergei somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Bubba Smith posted:

which Dutch congressman do I write to stop this from happening

Aside from the fact it's way too early for them to be doing PPV, it's supplemental to the shows they're already running, except on the same cards. Glory 17 in LA is the first PPV show and it's going to have a tournament on the Spike broadcast, a title fight on the Spike broadcast, a tournament twice as big as the TV one on the PPV broadcast, and Ghita/Verhoeven for the title, plus reserve fights and possibly undercard stuff. And none of it will make money at all.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

vainman posted:

Whoever decided to hold the heavyweight contender matches in Denver is a genius

what's really fantastic about it is that the best place for heavyweights to train is in Holland, which is largely below sea level

only a few hours to go folks

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I was about to post that, I don't even loving know what to call it, switch turning side kick? reverse tornado kick? it's some serious wcl stuff

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Solomonic posted:

I watched a good bit of K-1 back in like 2001-2004 but haven't had a chance to see Glory until now. Very excited. Is there anything different about the rules?

Slightly different but still restrictive clinch rules to latter day K-1, otherwise mostly identical

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
this tournament is SO FAT

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Bluedeanie posted:

Is there a knockdown limit in Glory?

3 in a round (2 in tournaments), 4 in total (3 in total in tournaments) but I think tournament finals are the same as usual

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
lol they still want to ride dustin jacoby into the grave

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
let them be fat against the ropes, it's sergei's only strategy

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
extra round please, the fat men deserve nothing less

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
lol at headlining the ppv card with crocop

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
barry is dumb for doing anything but throwing leg kicks

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
good job pat

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i liked the part where he threw a bunch of dumb stuff straight at the other guy's guard, jumped around, gassed immediately, and got knocked out

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Now Back In Its Original Can

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Unforgivable Fatness

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Errol is too fast and too powerful for the lower level heavies and does this over and over again without training, but if neither Ghita or Verhoeven are in the real tournament he might just get through that even with his biggest titties yet

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
karapetyan knows what's up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX4b4eyEwI8

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
So the Crocop fight at Glory 17 is going to be on the Spike portion of the card and not headlining the PPV. Apparently it was supposed to be Pat Barry vs Crocop 2 but whelp :pwn:

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Bubba Smith posted:

might as well do that fight anyway.

they kind of can't, since he got knocked out and is suspended

however, Sergei wasn't and according to people in Croatia that's the fight now

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
well, not only is that confirmed on the glory website but they have another mma has been surprise up their sleeves, miguel torres in the featherweight tournament

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
the very same, fighting the guy who just beat up Malaipet in Lion Fight

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I don't know about Miguel Torres but the loving nutso Dustin Jacoby suicide cult, trying to put Ky Hollenbeck in a title fight, and literally paying Marc de Bonte to not fight so they could put Raymond Daniels in the tournament were all Spike's doing

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
yep and that's going to be Pat Barry's cause of death

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
via Dave Walsh:

quote:

Oh yeah, here is a fun rumor: Miguel Torres isn't really signed to GLORY yet. There have been talks but he hasn't officially signed anything yet, they just put him on their website and now things are complicated.

Good poo poo, way to go

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Also apparently K-1's Chinese TV deals haven't happened yet because of lawsuits, and they're implying that Glory are funding this, which is reasonable since there was a lot of confusion over the video library. In any case, K-1's going to be dogshit until they can get some investment, but in the meantime there's nothing from Chinese TV and their staff are already owed money again :backtowork:

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
rumours from Holland that Glory staff are going unpaid/being asked to accept late payment

it begins

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
It's Showtime was stable and sustainable until that loving moron Kim hosed them over so bad that they jumped into bed with Golden Glory, who :airquote: allegedly :airquote: used to do things like call in anonymous tips to the police to get their offices raided and cancel their shows

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

colonel_korn posted:

Doesn't seem very credible, but :lol: if this happens.

I heard this rumour too, but Tim posted on twitter begging for support, so it probably came from him. Personally I think it'll probably be some busted old timer like JLB, but you never know given their penchant for bad MMA guys.

Speaking of which, Miguel Torres is signed, Noiri is no longer under contract. Lmao.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Noiri was supposed to fight in Krush a couple of weeks ago for the 65kg belt but got injured. I guess he'll fight in Japan until the end of time. I'm really curious to know why he's no longer with Glory, if it's something on their side they're dumb for letting him go.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
1. Remember the drug dealer who Badr Hari wore shirts for? Guess who just got shot to death.

2. Ghita and Verhoeven are having some embarrassingly fake twitter spat, and now the journalist that they pay is covering it and for some reason Tyson Fury is involved

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
1. Crocop is now having a rematch with Jarrell Miller, the American boxer who beat him at the last "K-1" WGP and lost an absurd hometown decision

2. that tournament in Dubai went exactly as expected

3. The K-1 show in Thailand has been postponed due to the coup

4. Possibly related to the Noiri business, but something called the K-1 World League was announced, and as with all "world leagues" it naturally is Japanese fighters in Japan. It's being run by the guys who do Krush, and Krush owns. Dave Walsh doesn't seem to think it has anything to do with the other K-1 too.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I'm just going to quote a forum post wholesale instead of paraphrasing it and whatever

Dave Walsh posted:

I know that they got upset with me writing about this, haha.

Mr. Kim emailed me to explain that Yabuki is his agent who works in Japan for him and that Yabuki purchased KRUSH (which is true). Kim told him to start running K-1 amateur events in Japan and to start priming the market for K-1 again.

I'm really not sure how everything fits together, but Yabuki is also the guy running the K-1 Gyms in Japan.

These are basically going to be re-branded KRUSH events, just called K-1. The idea is that KRUSH doesn't draw well with some of Japan's biggest talents who drew better while featured in K-1. If they use the K-1 name fans *should* tune in again.

There is also the fact that Fuji TV has expressed interest in promoting K-1 events again, but K-1 G hasn't felt comfortable presenting their current product to them. If this team in Japan can put something together, there is a chance they'll get back on Fuji. But will they ever link up? I'm not sure.

By purchasing Krush, their Japanese shows are now 100% better than the regular shows and run by professionals

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
LeBanner had another one of those home town fights against someone completely outmatched, but the finish is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1-wkd7fJoA&t=1099s

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Dumps don't score, you can't trap the leg and punch or sweep, traditionally Thais have pretty lame boxing which puts them at a massive disadvantage against the Dutch style when they can't use most of their arsenal.

As for cards, almost every year the finals were fantastic. 2010 had two really great final 16 shows for both MAX and the WGP. But some of my favourite cards that were well received but rarely looked back upon were the MAX Japan GPs. They weren't necessarily full of the best talents but those guys would fight each other to the loving death.

The 2009 MAX Japan GP was great, and was the first step in a great 2009 for MAX. Watch it in chronological order, Japan GP, final 16, final 8, finals. Anime crossdressing, Yuya Yamamoto winning fights with his face, Giorgio Petrosyan destroying everyone in his first year, this fuckin' fight

2008 was great too, I was pissed at the time because I loved Kyshenko but Masato was gutsy as hell.

I hope the K-1 branded Krush can bring some of that back.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Oh yeah, Glory 17 and the PPV is tomorrow. Crocop is an old, slow piece of poo poo that never does anything and is going to force his unwatchable non-game into as much of this fight as he can and lose 30-27 again*. For the most part the rest will probably be good, but 30 to 27 is also a good prediction for number of PPV buys.

The event goes from 1am to 7am on UK tv and I wish I had no life or responsibilities so I could watch it all :qq:

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
hey so if anybody remembers that story about Shemsi Beqiri having to pull out of a fight for Glory earlier this year because of being beaten in his gym by masked men with baseball bats, the story is a bit more complicated

the masked men were with his former trainer, they stormed his gym and held a class hostage, including holding his brother at gunpoint, to force Beqiri to fight his former trainer, and when Beqiri started to win everybody jumped on him, and weirdly enough there's a video of it thanks to Swiss news

http://bazonline.ch/basel/land/Das-erste-Video-des-KickboxKampfes/story/28956140 starts at 7:30, is more mma than kickboxing, and is generally really loving weird to watch

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Glory 18 is probably going to be early October

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
glory is no longer a big money proposition and the guys with big contracts are gone or going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i'm pretty sure glory will continue to run shows in america and probably europe but don't expect to see any of the guys getting paid hundreds of thousands like petrosyan, spong, saki, or any of the old timers they might still have around

this has been brewing for a while and they've been off tv for ages. i don't know if it necessarily points to the death of the company because there's still about 800 suits squeezing money out of it, and they just replaced an executive (while retaining the other as a consultant, thanks for the cash hedge fund guy)