Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpj8d4DQsPA

I, uh... Not sure that you should be uploading your agents' research material, K1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Hey dudes, what would be some good particularly good kickboxing cards to watch? I'm especially interested in old K-1 cards (this has nothing to do with having a source for them, cough cough) (this also has nothing to do with my boner for 1 night/1 week tournaments, ahack, splat), but I'm down with whatever anyone can point me towards.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

turntabler posted:

Youtube homie.

Not asking for a source, homeslice.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Thanks for the recommendations, fellas. I'll see what I can scratch together of the 2009 run.

Also what the gently caress, K-1 Sumo Tournament, that's magically Japanese.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
RIP Hans Nijman, you were a'ight in RINGS and also were probably running drugs under the guise of selling Official Nijman Gym Punching Bags

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
as a pro wrestling fan first and foremost, kickboxing is great for when I feel like everyone I'm watching is a monster, and that too many of them are alive and not in jail

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

colonel_korn posted:

Dunno if much is going on these days, so here's some more vintage longpants kickboxing vs Muay Thai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GJBLZje4HM

good poo poo, thanks. I really love that one where the long pants dude is getting stretchered out while one of the commentators indignantly rants about "what kind of coward kicks a man in the legs!? It doesn't take ANY skill to kick a man in the legs!"

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i used to love watching Chuck Norris's World Combat League at like 2am on spike or wherever it aired. That poo poo was so silly. Team-based longpants kickboxing, a passivity rule so intense that you would get warned and docked by the referee for basically ever backing away or circling ever, and Pat Barry was in it for a while.

I found some DVDs in the dollar bin recently and I am in love with that goofy, goofy kick show.

Longpants kickboxing gets my respect, not really great to watch but whatever. WCL, on the other hand, was fun as hell. Everyone seemed to go into WCL with a karate-rear end-kick fantasy, and matches ended when one person was better at realizing their vision than the other.

and others were exactly what you'd expect, and it's similarly great:

Also for some reason the guy who hosted the "best knockouts" dvd kept calling the heavyweights "big boys"

serious question: Were the classic long pants kickboxing rules just an American thing? Or were they enforced elsewhere? I know there were different ruling bodies and different restrictions and etc. but was, say, the Dutch scene drastically different than the American scene back then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
If you meet Dick Vrij tell him that I love his work and also get very, very far away from him ASAP