Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
will I later regret not putting effort into this poll?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Kevin Spacey importing his House of Cards character into a Call of Duty game is the only noteworthy thing about this title.

Is this legal? Will Netflix/other people who created House of Cards get royalties or payments not to sue? Because this is so clearly Call Of Duty: Frank Underwood. The Call of Duty franchise is worth so much, I can't imagine that the House Of Cards showrunners wouldn't want a slice of the pie (that they undoubtedly deserve; it really does seem like his character from HoC has been imported with little changes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

1stGear posted:

Yeah, just like the Tolkien estate gets royalties from every fantasy setting with elves.

I really don't think it's quite so simple. They are clearly using "Frank Underwood" to attract gamers, not just Kevin Spacey. A more reasonable question would be to ask if someone made a game with Ian McKellen as a wise wizard, Orlando Bloom as an elf with a bow etc, would the Tolkien estate get royalties. My bet is that yes, they would.

EDIT: I mean, just look at this thread. Look at every news article about this game. Practically all of them mention House of Cards and Frank Underwood. Activision will be profiting based off a character in a tv show they don't own. Lawsuits are surely incoming or a deal was already struck.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 2, 2014

• Locked thread