Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Biowarfare posted:

Nexon's monetisation will be toned down on future games, don't worry!

So the pay2win underwear with actual noticeable stat bonuses will now last forever and not just 30 calendar days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

Nexon's monetisation will be toned down on future games, don't worry!

Well, they keep saying this, buuut...

RIP Donxon, may flights of henehoes sing thee to they rest. :pray:

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

The March Hare posted:

Does your gaming vpn offer you a Korean ssn and a working Korean cellphone number?

Didn't they make it illegal, a few years back, for game companies to collect SSNs?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

pertinent posted:

Didn't they make it illegal, a few years back, for game companies to collect SSNs?

The game copmanies don't touch ssn themself. They use a third party 'approved' verification service where you need to verify both your KSSN and a korean mobile number, which then sends a signed+encrypted "ok" signature to the game company webhook

For example, there is something (i really cant call it a standard, it's terrible and piece of poo poo) called iPIN, run by various places, like credit bureaus, that have all of your personal information. You use this number to verify instead of your kssn, and the credit bureau already can match it to a kssn and lets it pass

Impotence fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 29, 2014

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Realistically how long until we would be able to play some version of this game as someone who is based in the US? The class mechanics seem amazing.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
After the devs release enough info, the OP should probably make a new thread. Maybe when the beta starts.

This hype thread got to 3 pages after 7 months. A good opening post with information, gifs and videos would probably help attract a bit more attention than that.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

SoggyGravy posted:

Realistically how long until we would be able to play some version of this game as someone who is based in the US? The class mechanics seem amazing.
do you mean in english, or do you mean in korean with korea servers, but connected from the US

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

RottenK posted:

After the devs release enough info, the OP should probably make a new thread. Maybe when the beta starts.

This hype thread got to 3 pages after 7 months. A good opening post with information, gifs and videos would probably help attract a bit more attention than that.

I'll see what I can do, but pretty much all the info released has been in the last 3 months or so. I think the game got a big publicity boost around here from the G-Star video, because it was cool and showed off a bunch of unique classes instead of just some :krad: graphics. :)

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Biowarfare posted:

do you mean in english, or do you mean in korean with korea servers, but connected from the US

Whichever comes first and let's me play without committing international crimes.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

SoggyGravy posted:

Whichever comes first and let's me play without committing international crimes.

Emphatically this.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
A friend linked this to me just now:

quote:

Warpportal.com, a website operated by Gravity Interactive, Inc. (Gravity US) has secretly censored the word “Tree of Savior” and the acronym “TOS” in the forum. The word filter built into the website will automatically filter “Tree of Savior” as “Ragnarok Online” and “TOS” as “Ragnarok Online 2”.

http://treeofsaviorgame.com/general/975/gravity-us-censors-tree-of-savior/

Must be really fun telling someone the terms of service don't allow something in that forum now.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I always knew that Gravity is a poo poo company, but this is just precious.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
22 december

tos.nexon.com

it begins

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Biowarfare posted:

22 december

tos.nexon.com

it begins

Will that be something playable for westerners or are we just gonna get a glut of information out of people playing the korean cbt?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Click this!

drat, soundTEMP does it again! :eyepop:

Reminds me of all the time I spent playing Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. :)

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

http://tos.nexon.com/main/index.aspx

Closed Beta sign-ups will be open from the 29th of December to the 11th of January, results will be out on the 14th of January, and the test servers will be open for certain hours the 15th-18th of January.

Crateria
Jun 16, 2013

Silento posted:

http://tos.nexon.com/main/index.aspx

Closed Beta sign-ups will be open from the 29th of December to the 11th of January, results will be out on the 14th of January, and the test servers will be open for certain hours the 15th-18th of January.

Yeeeeeessss.

I hope I'll be able to play from the US!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The sprites for all the classes are so goood. drat but we are still missing a thief base class

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Silento posted:

Click this!

drat, soundTEMP does it again! :eyepop:

Reminds me of all the time I spent playing Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. :)

Alright, they definitely got the music part right. I think we're getting a good successor to RO's soundtrack :allears:

Crateria
Jun 16, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The sprites for all the classes are so goood. drat but we are still missing a thief base class

omgosh yes. And the art director is so incredible I love her art style. :allears:

Her website :)

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Crateria posted:

omgosh yes. And the art director is so incredible I love her art style. :allears:

Her website :)

Oh man, I forgot Granada Espada was a game that existed. I wish more kmmos would have expanded on the having a party for a character idea.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
published by nexon, will pass

dfo's blood still drips from their hands

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

published by nexon, will pass

dfo's blood still drips from their hands

Incoming run-in from the Nexon America's only sysadmin.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
nexon korea is pretty terrible and because more or less of cultural differences all the code they turn out is vulnerability-ridden crap because it's written with "1 person = 1 account and we can prosecute them if they are dicks" in mind

i've never touched dfo so i'm not going to comment on that

out of all the american kmmo publishers, you can't beat nexon though. everything else is just so much worse if it's not self publishing.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 25, 2014

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
it's you

you are the one that mishandled, neglected, then shut down dfo

you are the hitler

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Are you sure it's OK to write about nexon kr being that lovely considering toubwork for nexon

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

Are you sure it's OK to write about nexon kr being that lovely considering toubwork for nexon

If there's a world where saying a team of programmers is crap because they write code that trusts the client, and actually asks the client what their HP is and replicates that server side afterward, I don't want to be in it.

There is way too much trust of the client in KR games. This goes for almost every korean game i've seen; it seems like it's cultural, not restricted to certain companies. It's might be something to do with people just being cheap and not wanting to consume server resources, but this is intolerable and should not be accepted anywhere. Worst practice is trusting the client. Worst practice is assuming every single user can only have one account and one account only, and balancing/designing around that.

I love korean games, but every single one of them effectively is a flaming pile of crap that ends up full of cheaters and botters by launch, much less anything past that. It's unacceptable and nothing will change if everyone just doesn't care about it

Impotence fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 25, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I get it, wasnt trying to call you out. Just surprised at how forthright you were about your opinion

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure it's partly because the Korean clients of just about any online game I've played come with gestapo grade spyware:airquote:anti-cheat:airquote:, so if you cheat you get banned instantly, in theory. Not saying that makes it in any way better, just probably one of the reasons they can afford doing it?

In the west, getting away with installing spyware is a bit harder these days, so they just don't do it. :v:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Truga posted:

Pretty sure it's partly because the Korean clients of just about any online game I've played come with gestapo grade spyware:airquote:anti-cheat:airquote:, so if you cheat you get banned instantly, in theory. Not saying that makes it in any way better, just probably one of the reasons they can afford doing it?

In the west, getting away with installing spyware is a bit harder these days, so they just don't do it. :v:

Nah, the anti-cheat sucks. It only works out okay (well, I assume it does) in Korea because you need a Korean cellphone number to sign up. You used to need a Korean Social Security number, so yeah. It's not the anti-cheat being good, it's the account sign-up being heavily restricted.

And I kinda have to agree with Bio, after thinking about it-- It's not like I'd rather have Aersia, or gPotato, or NCsoft, or Perfect World, or heaven forbid, Trion! Nexon's biggest problem as of late has been frequent DDoS attacks on the servers, and of course the ever-present customer support issues. But, to be completely honest, they are doing way better than they used to with server down-times and poo poo. Still nowhere near perfect, far from it-- But it's definitely playable.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Silento posted:

Nah, the anti-cheat sucks. It only works out okay (well, I assume it does) in Korea because you need a Korean cellphone number to sign up. You used to need a Korean Social Security number, so yeah. It's not the anti-cheat being good, it's the account sign-up being heavily restricted.

And I kinda have to agree with Bio, after thinking about it-- It's not like I'd rather have Aersia, or gPotato, or NCsoft, or Perfect World, or heaven forbid, Trion! Nexon's biggest problem as of late has been frequent DDoS attacks on the servers, and of course the ever-present customer support issues. But, to be completely honest, they are doing way better than they used to with server down-times and poo poo. Still nowhere near perfect, far from it-- But it's definitely playable.

Not being as bad as the other kmmo publishers is setting the bar so low that you can trip over it. Getting IP blocked without the game getting published in the EU/the EU published client being ages behind and filled with botters is definitely not playable.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
The anticheat is more or less required by korean law, because it comes with the whole suite for login rootkits too. The founder of hackshield company is also member of south korea parliament/legislature. That probably tells you enough as is.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

The founder of hackshield company is also member of south korea parliament/legislature. That probably tells you enough as is.

How even the gently caress

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

The Shortest Path posted:

How even the gently caress

mmo's are becoming real~

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Arzachel posted:

Not being as bad as the other kmmo publishers is setting the bar so low that you can trip over it. Getting IP blocked without the game getting published in the EU/the EU published client being ages behind and filled with botters is definitely not playable.

But... that's not Nexon NA's fault? It's a licensing issue, and is in fact one more point for Nexon NA in the not-worst-kmmo-publisher race. :cheeky:

I guess this is just another reason USA>Europe!!!! :911:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Been like this for at least a month. Not that you could expect a response within a year if you did get a ticket in anyway.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

kirbysuperstar posted:

Been like this for at least a month. Not that you could expect a response within a year if you did get a ticket in anyway.

It's always been like that. I wanted to check the forums to see why Dirty Bomb lagged the gently caress out of me, it's still a mystery to me.

Crateria
Jun 16, 2013

CBT sign ups start today-- they're inviting 3k people.

Auuughh you gotta have Korean ID verification for sign up. :gonk:

CBT sign up on official site :(

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Crateria posted:

CBT sign ups start today-- they're inviting 3k people.

Auuughh you gotta have Korean ID verification for sign up. :gonk:

CBT sign up on official site :(

Welp nevermind then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

e-Nope

Not only do you need an ID, you need a cellphone too.

e2-Maybe not? I was able to log into the account and finish the questionnaire.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 29, 2014

• Locked thread