Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

e-Nope

Not only do you need an ID, you need a cellphone too.

e2-Maybe not? I was able to log into the account and finish the questionnaire.

He meant that to verify your account, you need a Korean cell-phone number. After running into the same problem with the MS2 closed beta a few days ago, I was expecting this. Oh well, probably wouldn't get into such a limited beta anyways... :smith:

Hope there's no NDA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crateria
Jun 16, 2013

Silento posted:

He meant that to verify your account, you need a Korean cell-phone number. After running into the same problem with the MS2 closed beta a few days ago, I was expecting this. Oh well, probably wouldn't get into such a limited beta anyways... :smith:

Hope there's no NDA!

Yup this. I made an account and then finished the questionnaire. From there it guided me back to my account to verify my ID which is through having a korean cell phone.

My fingers are crossed for no NDA too!

edit:
:(
There will be an NDA as well. What a bummer, man!
http://tos.nexon.com/customer/center/policy.aspx
Section 3.

Crateria fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 29, 2014

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Welp, I know what I'm listening to for the next few hours: https://soundcloud.com/spadow/sets/tree-of-savior

Also some pretty loading screens: http://spadow.tumblr.com/post/108079154943

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Soundtrack is fantastic, didnt think it was going to be so big in this stage already.

e-Woman Peeling Potatoes has to be the most ironically named track in the soundtrack given that its this heroic folk metal tune.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 15, 2015

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzllhC783i-JIcV-XcxSwZsFJwyDEkjKS

This dude is uploading videos of the CBT~

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Looks pretty

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Well, I am hyped for the second coming of Anime Hat Jesus: The MMO. With jumping and even more awesome music and spritish artwork.

Thread success.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Are there any signs at all of this working its way out of Korea?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
There is not a single boring track on this playlist is there. Which is surprising considering the variety.

Jackard posted:

Are there any signs at all of this working its way out of Korea?
They are doing english translations of their dev blog, and have a couple of screenshots using an english version.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 17, 2015

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I keep going back to some form of RO and it's terrible. Hopefully this game is able to scratch that itch (and isn't plagued with bots, an awful economy, and terrible microtransactions).

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Dear Bio, please tell us more about working for nexon and what we should be expecting when ToS comes out.

tia

Crateria
Jun 16, 2013

:dance: Yippee!

This is some exciting stuff.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
I'm still unreasonably hyped for this game and I know that it will likely be hot garbage by the time it is released. The classes man, the classes.

quote:

There are a few classes in TOS that are able to change their stances by wearing a mask. Plague Doctor is one of them.

It involves in your allies’ or enemies’ abnormal status or use a skill that purifies polluted areas.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think the next beta stage is international or something.

The only thing that bothered me from what I saw was how high some cooldowns were. The charge system seem fine but then having to wait 30 seconds for a pretty mainstay skill to come off cooldown was balls.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
This game will probably be:

1. A horrible grind fest.
2. Cash shop
3. Managed terribly

And..I am still super excited for it and will jump in the first chance I get. Like many others, Ragnarok Online was my first MMO as well and even after I made the move to more streamline/accessible/better stuff like WoW, I always missed the charm of RO. Its something I can't quite put my finger on, probably the music, graphics and the griiiiind.

Sign me up for this train wreck.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I think it depends on just how early the stage of beta it's in. It could be the beginning of balance changes, and maybe they won't be lovely about balance like such notable MMOs as: every mmo released in recent history.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Ragnarok Online was my first MMO

Chiming in. Been watching the thread and am probably more excited than is reasonable.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dolphin Fetus posted:

This game will probably be:

1. A horrible grind fest.
2. Cash shop
3. Managed terribly

And..I am still super excited for it and will jump in the first chance I get. Like many others, Ragnarok Online was my first MMO as well and even after I made the move to more streamline/accessible/better stuff like WoW, I always missed the charm of RO. Its something I can't quite put my finger on, probably the music, graphics and the griiiiind.

Sign me up for this train wreck.

Well I think cap is like 150 or 200 and you have both a base and job level soooooo...
Apparently you can get over 100 in like a day though and Steparu mentioned that it didnt feel like a grind at all. Cash Shop + Manage Terribly go hand in hand here because Nexon though so expect those to happen in some way.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ahhhhh I really can't wait to play this game.

Shevmo
Jan 19, 2015
Ugh and I just had some friends recently nostalgia trip me hardcore on Ragnarok Online by playing the Morroc Theme he'd imported into Starbound. Stupid friends and their stupid Nostalgia. Then I was reminded that Tree of Savior was going to be a thing. I had managed to wipe the memory of this development away so that I wouldn't get sucked in and loose years hours of my life to this. Welps, too late now hyped to hell and can't wait for this game to exist. And, honestly, of all the North American publishers to get it, I'm glad it's Nexon. Lesser of the evils and all that.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Shevmo posted:

Then I was reminded that Tree of Savior was going to be a thing. ... And, honestly, of all the North American publishers to get it, I'm glad it's Nexon. Lesser of the evils and all that.
Any news on this, then?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Jackard posted:

Any news on this, then?

If you're asking if it's confirmed that Nexon is the NA publisher, the answer is no. But they are the KR publisher and I doubt they'd give this game up to some other company in NA. NA Nexon actually had an increase in profit change year over year this past quarter, so yeah.

Here's a source for the financial info, with a lot more details: http://pdf.irpocket.com/C3659/nKx5/ChgD/Ovq1.pdf
Excuse me if I described it wrong, I don't know anything about investments. :cheeky:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Why do Korean games always have so much style, charm and atmosphere and then they are brought down by horrible grind and other assorted idiocy? What is wrong with Korean players?

I will definitely try this game though. No matter what.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The market has been evolving recently just at an incredibly slow pace. Its really weird that mechanically and artistically some of the most unique MMOs come from korea but they all share inhuman grind as some of their tenets.

Its getting better though! Newer korean MMOs tend to have really fast leveling in comparison to their older ones and although some have uncapped level limits no healthy person would be able to get to them and even if they do the diminishing gains are so big that its just not worth it. Modern korean MMOs gear upgrade system are also way more forgiving than they were during ROs time. Gear in modern kmmos dont break anymore, they dont even de-level anymore.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Superior Coreagame's are better than oegug-in trash.

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Gear in modern kmmos dont break anymore
If only this held true for Vindictus.

Count me in as a has-been RO player who's unreasonably hopeful for this game. My main issue right now is there being too many classes I want to take for a spin as-is, who knows how many once they're all there.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
I started iRO again because of this game and have a few buddies who play that explained some of the new stuff to me. I leveled a mage to wizard then decided I'd rather have a hunter, got to job level 50, thinking I could skip the item part but lo' and behold the game still forces me to do it. I still enjoy RO, even with its many flaws but its still fun IMO. If you like cute sprite work and just want to mindlessly kill stuff forever to good music its still the go to game IMO. What I find funny is that the community feels more active than bigger mmos like WoW because you have hundreds of vendor merchants in the streets and the Eden Group HQ...well, I don't know what Gravity was thinking.

Anyone still play RO? I didn't see a topic for the game, which is a shame, because its really not that horrible...if you dig korean mmo grinds (I really am starting to think I do).

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I started iRO again because of this game and have a few buddies who play that explained some of the new stuff to me. I leveled a mage to wizard then decided I'd rather have a hunter, got to job level 50, thinking I could skip the item part but lo' and behold the game still forces me to do it. I still enjoy RO, even with its many flaws but its still fun IMO. If you like cute sprite work and just want to mindlessly kill stuff forever to good music its still the go to game IMO. What I find funny is that the community feels more active than bigger mmos like WoW because you have hundreds of vendor merchants in the streets and the Eden Group HQ...well, I don't know what Gravity was thinking.

Anyone still play RO? I didn't see a topic for the game, which is a shame, because its really not that horrible...if you dig korean mmo grinds (I really am starting to think I do).

personally I have a tendency of picking out a private server and then dropping it after realizing that level grinds tend to be replaced with money grinds

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Dolphin Fetus posted:

A few months ago all of the tree of savior hype made me go and roll up on whatever the #1 low-rate server was on ratemyserver.net at the time and i merrily mage->wizard'd my way to about level 75 before i remembered the kind of insane grind that awaited me to get 2nd/3rd characters up to speed with actual gear as well as the dual-boxed priestess becoming less useful in crazy areas and i just kinda dropped it. at least i still remembered to vertical firewall things!

now i'm not so sure i'm actually all that excited to play a new version of it anymore.

Crateria
Jun 16, 2013

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I still do on and off. I have a habit of playing for a month or two every year. I have some characters on iRO and TrueRO.

It's all nostalgia for me with RO being my first MMO 12 years ago.

I gotta say RO is more fun when played with others!

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
RO died for me when I came back to it after a few months-long break and saw that some big patch made everyone abandon the archer city. I liked hanging out outside of the zombie dungeon.

brizzley
Sep 12, 2011

:sun: Tryin' to be happy.
I started RO again (private server) because of hearing about TOS.

I'm actually way into it more than I was before because I'm an adult now versus haven't gone through puberty. I love all the formulas for different things and the diversity in what you can do with your equipment with all the available cards and new equipment is just amazing. It's a great game and it has aged well (if you're on a private server). RO2 was horrible though. Hopefully TOS will be a different, but just as charming game as RO was.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

brizzley posted:

I started RO again (private server) because of hearing about TOS.

I'm actually way into it more than I was before because I'm an adult now versus haven't gone through puberty. I love all the formulas for different things and the diversity in what you can do with your equipment with all the available cards and new equipment is just amazing. It's a great game and it has aged well (if you're on a private server). RO2 was horrible though. Hopefully TOS will be a different, but just as charming game as RO was.

RO was a miracle. The designers had no idea what they were doing, but it turned out to be just the right kind of terrible to be great. I think the best designed system is the stats system--each stat has unique characteristics, and there's situations you would want each of them (even luk!) on most classes. A lot of games have very basic stat systems, which is a waste of a perfectly good customization area IMO. Hopefully ToS's system will be as good as RO's.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Silento posted:

RO was a miracle. The designers had no idea what they were doing, but it turned out to be just the right kind of terrible to be great. I think the best designed system is the stats system--each stat has unique characteristics, and there's situations you would want each of them (even luk!) on most classes. A lot of games have very basic stat systems, which is a waste of a perfectly good customization area IMO. Hopefully ToS's system will be as good as RO's.

Stats are a double edged sword. I really really love them (if you want something a little more modern with stat builds, check out dungeons and dragons online, it's really build-friendly and has fun dungeons after the first couple levels), and they make any game triple the fun when you're screwing about with them.

But, stats also throw any resemblance of balance out the window. A 186+ aspd agi knight or a dodge wizard are lots of fun to play imo, but holy poo poo you'll get laughed at by everyone not playing one because it's "not optimal for anything". Enjoy not getting into any group based activity :v:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Truga posted:

Stats are a double edged sword. I really really love them (if you want something a little more modern with stat builds, check out dungeons and dragons online, it's really build-friendly and has fun dungeons after the first couple levels), and they make any game triple the fun when you're screwing about with them.

But, stats also throw any resemblance of balance out the window. A 186+ aspd agi knight or a dodge wizard are lots of fun to play imo, but holy poo poo you'll get laughed at by everyone not playing one because it's "not optimal for anything". Enjoy not getting into any group based activity :v:

RIP autocast Prof. :smith:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Truga posted:

yeah after a while everyone just started copying builds almost out of necessity because often the harder MVPs and endgame enemies would be designed around the assumption you were doing so

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I still loved it though. Back in 2-2 a lot of the builds people used were set in stone but you'd see a few people gently caress around with unconventional builds that were hilariously effective. I remember a girl in one of our allied guilds used to roll around in an ASPD crusader with spear quicken and a bapho lance with extra luck and she'd break emperiums almost as fast as assassins. Remember the first time she told me to hit her in the pvp zone and being dumbfounded when I couldn't hit her, then she just melted me. This was the time where just about every sader was either holy cross or grand cross.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I still loved it though. Back in 2-2 a lot of the builds people used were set in stone but you'd see a few people gently caress around with unconventional builds that were hilariously effective. I remember a girl in one of our allied guilds used to roll around in an ASPD crusader with spear quicken and a bapho lance with extra luck and she'd break emperiums almost as fast as assassins. Remember the first time she told me to hit her in the pvp zone and being dumbfounded when I couldn't hit her, then she just melted me. This was the time where just about every sader was either holy cross or grand cross.

The issue for me was that unconventional builds, or even many 'conventional' PVP builds added many hundreds of hours onto your leveling time as opposed to a strictly PVE build. Like, at the end of the day you still have to kill 4000 of X mob for that level, and doing it with a build that is not optimized for the task is torturous.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Baldbeard posted:

The issue for me was that unconventional builds, or even many 'conventional' PVP builds added many hundreds of hours onto your leveling time as opposed to a strictly PVE build. Like, at the end of the day you still have to kill 4000 of X mob for that level, and doing it with a build that is not optimized for the task is torturous.

if you aren't on a private server with resets experimenting is gonna be a huge sunk cost, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clicky Pen
Sep 23, 2007
Hello, would you like anything duct taped to your walls?
Hello, I am a dumb idiot that still cannot escape RO. Not renewal, the old stuff. Dolphin Fetus nailed one of the main reasons I still play this game, which is to sit down and mindlessly kill things, although I would like to add that anime hats keep me around. There are a few things going on the official servers to make leveling in general easier, though it is still quite a slog if you're into quickly getting to the end content. I just happen to enjoy the slog, especially with weirder characters (woot toot tootles battle priest). Even if I wanted to level fast, I have a few characters I could trade in exchange for leeching something more fun at the killcount flavor of the week/month/???

That said, I'm obviously gonna give ToS a shot, but it might be hard to give up on my original anime mmo love. I read the dev blog once a month or so, but yeah, I still love my RO.

Also, curious, but Quantas, are you the dude I see while I stream?

• Locked thread