Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Hundreds of bosses, 80 classes, 200 enemy types... how many types of food can I put on my head???

I said come in! posted:

Does anyone even care about these anymore though? The only reason why it really happened was to get around the monthly fee.

Private servers run on the microtransaction model (donate :10bux: and pick an item from this list!) and in their heyday the more popular pay to win servers actually made a decent profit. Doubt many are running in the black these days but there's still multiple servers with online populations of 1k+. My point is that a fair number of people threw a lot of money at private server operators in the guise of donations and that the reason private servers took off is that officially run RO servers are unplayable to most people for gameplay reasons. "Just" tripling the amount of experience you get from baseline is considered the extreme low end and multiplying experience by 75 times is still considered "mid-rate" by sane standards.

Sacro fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

Q) Are there Assassin or Thief classes?

A) No. We don’t have any criminal classes at the moment.

:smug:

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I'm still unreasonably hyped for this game and I know that it will likely be hot garbage by the time it is released. The classes man, the classes.

quote:

There are a few classes in TOS that are able to change their stances by wearing a mask. Plague Doctor is one of them.

It involves in your allies’ or enemies’ abnormal status or use a skill that purifies polluted areas.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

The game looks like it would be much better with keyboard controls so I can see why they decided on it. It's not a carbon copy of RO.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I am going to collect all of the hats.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Also afaik they are aiming for 10 ranks of classes at release, and 888 class combinations is only up to rank 6. :getin:

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I would like to play the video game 트리 오브 세이비어.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFuck yeah gonna play some korean anime poo poo :sun:

I'll be the shadow dictator, dick tating how all hats are worn

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I'm the ATGM

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

The Groaning Tree

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Considering the stupid wannabe spy poo poo we got into in RO I can only hope we get something half as hilarious out of this. Kmmos require strict opsec and elaborate counter intelligence, lest the whole world know how we get our pretty anime pixels. God forbid they have :10bux: though.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

rip guilty cross

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Wind Tempest posted:

Okay, I am curious, what class is this? I wouldn't mind bringing a Bazooka to a knife fight.

Cannoneer, they revealed it a month ago along with Kabbalist, who changes the names of things to numbers and fucks them up. Also revealed but not available for testing include Army Chaplain, Taoist Priest, Mimic, Shepherd, Murmillo, Pied Piper, Shinobi, Plague Doctor, Hackapell, Templar, Dragoon, Appraiser, Musketeer, Warlock, Sage, and Featherfoot(?) poo poo's gonna get wild by the time we get to end game classes.

Arzachel posted:

Holy crap, the game's based on Lithuanian/Baltic mythology. The starting town is even named Klaipeda.

:getin:

Sacro fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 20, 2015

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

It's a support class, doesn't seem to be the best class around but if you like the theme for any classes go for it. Balance changes are still sweeping.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

It's not in my email. Where's the beta key. Who took my beta key. I'll find my beta key. :froggonk:

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Zegreiart is the best goon, thanks Zegreiart. Gonna give my extra keys to goons when they come in.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

It's tempting to play on the European server because it will have fewer Brazilians and "people" from SEA.

e: gently caress people are saying they are all in Ashburn, Virginia. Zenmya for the name and being second on the list.

Sacro fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 22, 2015

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Let's do this http://strawpoll.me/5803006

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

They are all in Virginia.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Laima is in a dead heat with gently caress anime. Let's make kmmos great again and pick Zemyna.

Dash O Pepper posted:

Holy poo poo, how did I not know about this sooner. I ran into a goonstack on a private server by pure chance and then 4+ years later I registered here and started seeing some of the same names pop up and then got totally mindfucked

I forget the name of the server though since that was more than 10 years ago, they were all dumb, Eclipse maybe??

Essence? Though I think that was in 2007/8.

whalestory posted:

Is everyone just going to ignore Sacro's racism like it's no big thing?

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

There isn't a way to sign into their website without using a google+ or facebook account at all. If you signed up for the beta last weekend and didn't get an email yet, log in to the website and click the beta key button and you should get one. Then you put that into your steam account as a product key and steam is your login to the actual game.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I've got 2 keys for cool dudes, message me on slack today. I'll flip a coin or something if a lot of people want them. I've given them out

Sacro fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 23, 2015

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I am amazed that we can actually log in and play with only some lag spurts here and there. The chat ticker at the top of the screen really gives it a twitch chat feel too, which is actually great and it's small enough to ignore when you don't care.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Don't go c2 swordsman it blows. I ran into a c2 swordsman around level 30 that was begging for help to kill bosses so another goon and I obliged and I hope he feels real bad about his choice after seeing the magnificence of cartar stroke. Highlander 2 shots bosses with cartar stroke and peltasta looks good too. If you're level ~34 and the enemies suddenly jump to 42, you've missed a lot of quests. Which is understandable, because right after the mines the game stops marking npcs with quests on the map or in any other way and you need to talk to every npc you see to find quests. Hope you don't miss them among the throng of people standing around it waiting for the dialogue to stop lagging!

Really though, I am still in awe of how well the servers have coped with so many nerds hammering them. The launch day of this lovely kmmo beta was better than some Blizzard games :v: And yes I know the order of magnitude less players but ToS was probably expecting at least 5 times fewer players than this.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

DO NOT GO C2 BASE CLASS UNLESS YOU ARE ARCHER AND EVEN THEN MAYBE NOT

You are gimping yourself for no reason the base class skills really blow compared to other classes. Peltasta is fine if you're going to be a spear guy, and hoplite is your next step and you can either go all in with hoplite or pick up cataphract or rodelero, whatever you want. You can even go spear doppel or use the spear skills with a rapier as a fencer.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

The ultra nerds are still trying to figure out the ~optimal stat ratio~ but I can tell you that pure str no dex is bad, and pure dex no str is probably not good.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

The pessimistic take: this game has the potential to be great but it's looking more and more like private servers will be required to realize it. Unless they decide to charge full price for the game and religiously ban cheaters (neither of these are ever going to happen) it will be destroyed by how easy it is to hack. Class balance is going to be hilariously bad because the game mechanics are wonky as gently caress. The leveling is actually very tame by Korean standards thanks to the quests and group dungeons but god help you if you miss a few quests that have no markers because straight grinding for experience is worse than Ragnarok Online. The silver grind to buy attributes and gear and repair your gear though, well please look forward to paying $5 for a set of 20 repair tokens or to level an attribute a few times, assuming you can navigate in town under the constant cloud of chat bubbles of RMT silver selling spammers. :unsmigghh:

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Fun fact you can kill other players in town as a psychokino, and giant swing from barbarian also destroys peoples anvils. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L98lIZ5Z2s4

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Last night I tried an experiment. I set up a buy shop with the name "The NPC Buys Talt for 5k" buying talt for 3k, and people sold me 22 talts. Today the shop will be named "NPCs buy talt for 5k, I will sell it to an NPC" and if people still sell me a lot of talt then I just do not know how to discourage people from giving me their silver. The shop is 1 screen length away from a vendor NPC in town.

I suppose next I will try naming an item "This is a scam" and then have the item description be "Dexterity +1000" and list it way overpriced and see if someone buys it.

Sacro fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 13, 2015

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Sacro posted:

Last night I tried an experiment. I set up a buy shop with the name "The NPC Buys Talt for 5k" buying talt for 3k, and people sold me 22 talts. Today the shop will be named "NPCs buy talt for 5k, I will sell it to an NPC" and if people still sell me a lot of talt then I just do not know how to discourage people from giving me their silver. The shop is 1 screen length away from a vendor NPC in town.

I suppose next I will try naming an item "This is a scam" and then have the item description be "Dexterity +1000" and list it way overpriced and see if someone buys it.

Update: 15 talts purchased with the shop name "NPCs buy talt for 5k, I will sell it to an NPC." New shop name "Talt. This is a scam, NPC buys it for 5k."

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

$50 for headstart is pretty steep and 3 months is an insanely long period for a headstart, though it does come with the pay currency for the game too so if you were planning on being a Real Subscriber of the game anyways it's just asking for 3 months upfront.

The upside to this is that if you read the official forums or reddit you can find a lot of people being enraged at the concept of a video game costing money. Not that $50 is too much for the game, or that the headstart system is going to hurt the player base, but that the devs have the audacity to charge money at all. They've also been pretty pissed at the idea of the premium subscription since that was revealed and I think you can even buy that with ingame currency. People getting real upset about free to play is amusing to me for some reason.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I'd say that you'd play there if your friends bought in early, but the draconian restrictions on player trading makes that worse than it should be.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

You can download the client right now, you can pay right now, but you can't play until the 29th. You can play starting on the 29th if you pay 10, 30, or 50 bucks. If you don't pay anything you can play April 28th.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

If you get drunk enough you can pretend it is diablo 3 with way less monster density but it's not incredibly close. It has active dodging and you have a handful of abilities with cooldowns and a spamable attack or two, but it has more traditional mmo equipment/skill min/maxing and other things.

Group content is NOT trinity tank/dps/heal, you have basically no use for a traditional tank and having someone that can heal is nice but not required for most things. You do want a support or two though, their buffs get strong in groups and a linker makes dungeons go a lot quicker.

Sacro fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 19, 2016

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Falconer was garbage in cbt2 but they got buffed quite a bit and are usable. However if you go 2 circles into falconer you'll pass up musketeer or cannoneer, both of which are overpowered right now.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

MotU posted:

if I wanted to play a Swordsman based character that runs with a couple of support classes (mage and cleric of some sort idk???) all the time what should i make to be super good + efficient +cute&cool

Hey bud, here's my builds you can use them as a starting point.

Fencer rapier + dagger, cute rank: 1
https://tos.neet.tv/skill-planner#112666ee.25344551.152535.719faabf.2a394a61

Doppelsoeldner 2h sword, cute rank: 2
https://tos.neet.tv/skill-planner#11266699.24354551.152535.719faabf.1a5a6575

Dragoon 2h spear, cute rank: 3, but can ride a hamster if we get those at some point
https://tos.neet.tv/skill-planner#1134477f.24354551.152535.1a2a3a.2a3a4a.253545

Sophism posted:

I'm thinking of going with a Hunter/Falconer build, as I really like the idea of having two pets out.

How does this build look?

https://tos.neet.tv/skill-planner#311222ee.354a5a65.1f293f4581.11214a5a6385

I don't know if you can have 2 pets out I haven't seen it before.

More builds I was thinking of, but keep in mind pretty much anything will work so do what you want. Though I'd advise avoiding Rodelero, Oracle, Pardoner, Alchemist, or Squire unless you know what you're getting into.

Musketeer, the most generic shootman I can come up with
https://tos.neet.tv/skill-planner#31444bbg.154551.1f4f6575.253a4a55.152535

Chaplain/Druid, int based, autoattacks hit hard, lots of healing and a large nuke from druid.
https://tos.neet.tv/skill-planner#41222c55.153545.1f3a559aa5.152545.112a31455568

Tentative Warlock, pyromancer/linker and elementalist 3, together with a chaplain autoattacks get crazy. Frost cloud is a workhorse. Warlock might not actually be good.
https://tos.neet.tv/skill-planner#2127bbbf.153555.153575.253545.3f517a85.15

Also we have a steam group going, get on discord or post steam name here if you care to join.

Sacro fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 20, 2016

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Controller works well, possibly preferable to mouse and keyboard in some cases.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

FYI the steam reviews are a wonderful source of chuckles for this game right now.

quote:

Not Recommended
568.0 hrs on record
I played it a lot during the closed betas. The game itself is great,

quote:

Not Recommended
0.3 hrs on record
Is this some kind of a joke? Why don’t you remove the install button on FREE product people can’t play? Don’t waste our time. I literally feel like someone came to me and spited to my face and told me "Pay 9.99 to play a “Free-to-play” game...and don’t forget to wash your dirty face you greedy ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥!"

quote:

Not Recommended
192.8 hrs on record
Nothing special to see here.

quote:

Not Recommended
1.2 hrs on record
why i cant start the game ?

quote:

I'm going to be clear on this, I shouldn't be allowed to reveiw this game. This game is unplayable in it's current state.

The reason is that the Devs decided to allow the game to be downloaded, bought, and played before it can even be played for the public. This is a horrible move for a few reasons.

Sacro fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 20, 2016

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Does Dragoon serious not have a jump skill?

Trying to figure out what Swordsman class has the coolest attacks so I can build towards that, but I haven't found a clean video with all the higher rank classes yet.

Dragoon will eventually get 2 more circles and I have complete faith they will get a jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

Silento posted:

Hoplite already has a jump! At c2.

IMC will build a glorious, yooge wall and the dragoon will jump over it. Hoplite's a great guy, but he's a disaster for jumps.

• Locked thread