Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
There is a wood carving subclass in the game. This is already the best thing ever. Also horrible, horrible memories of Ragnarok have steadily come back to me over the past few weeks since I was informed of this game's existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Done, as in done done and no more edits can be made to it? A real localization team can make or break a setting if the original setting is written even somewhat coherently (I haven't been very impressed with Korean MMO scenario/lore development but TERA's localization made it at least consumable and not skip-every-quest-text junk. I only skipped some quest lines, honest)

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Arzachel posted:

Seems like aim is tied to the direction you're facing so that won't work, I think.

There are skills in the game that allow characters to shoot in one direction while moving in a different direction, so there might be something missing?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
still hype!

I'm still a little bit in the dark about how the quests are going to be distributed in this game. I can clearly remember imcgames wanting to avoid the old themepark style, but what ended up happening to the "hidden NPC" idea for things like job change quests? Moreover, what's the point? What's the general feel of the quest system as of now?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
hype again!!!

e: I wonder what kinds of throwaway github lines I could get away with mutilating.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 27, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

pertinent posted:

It's not really that hard. You just scan through lines and go "well this sounds like something google translate would say" and you fix it up to sound better.

Oh. Is there anything that I should be careful about? I have literally never contributed to GitHub outside of grabbing ZIPs and then being confused about them because they're not compiled code. I can follow a guide to create a pull request, but I wanted to know if there was anything that wasn't obvious.

vvv genuinely curious, timing be damned

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 27, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

GlenQuagmire posted:

Initial impressions: Jesus christ, the game is beautiful. Stunning.
As for the questing question that was asked a while back, sometimes the npcs will have some sort of questline going with flags on the minimap, but for the most part, you actually have to explore maps (they have fog of war or whatever it's called nowadays, so you really do have to explore) and talk to npcs individually (who are not actually marked until you talk to them), who then may or may not give you quests. Almost to first class change! I'll keep updating this post as things progress.

Interesting. That's only one step away from roguelikes (the one step being randomly generated zones).

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Is UI mode working for anyone playing with a controller right now? I can move the cursor and highlight things, but can't select anything with any controller buttons. The button to hold down to move the cursor faster works.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
My DualShock 3 (using SCP) won't allow me to select things with the mouse cursor in UI mode (R1+start), but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the controller itself.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Horizontal Tree posted:

Controller UI mode doesn't work at all from what I can tell. Pretty sure you can't actually select anything, only move the cursor. I'm using an older razer 360 controller and its working great. I'd love using a DS3 or DS4 though.. can a DS3 be made to work wired and trick the game into thinking its a 360 controller?

Oh good, it wasn't just me and my weird set-up.

Yes, you can use a DS3, just jump through a couple of hoops with an extra service on Windows. http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-ScpToolkit-XInput-Wrapper-aka-ScpServer-Reloaded

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Concurred posted:

Whatever happened with RO2 and RO Legend of the Second and whatever other horrible games they made?

RO2 Gate of the World (2007) was an autistic mess that didn't innovate or capture the excitement of RO1 and flopped. RO2 Legend of the Second (2012) was a bland mess that didn't innovate or capture the excitement of RO1 and flopped. GungHo Online Entertainment (Japanese), who previously hosted the RO1 Japanese servers, got big enough to literally buy out Gravity in 2008. They've otherwise made several tiny low-risk, low-reward projects with the Ragnarok name slapped on to them ever since.

It's too bad, because Yoko Kanno's audio assets (i.e. her beautiful music) was pretty much the best thing in those. Except they often weren't used in very appropriate places at all.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 28, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Green Dam posted:

There's also map spreads where the closest statue is two or three maps away so going back to town or taking care of something else can be a minor annoyance.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but IIRC Warp Scrolls allow you to teleport to town to go do something and then teleport back to Previous Warp, right?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
So...how's the private server scene these days?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
imcgames is self-publishing on steam, right? they've at least acknowledged that there are complaints from international players on their english website.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Better translation and more robust servers sound good!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Open beta hype?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Third World Reggin posted:

I am almost certain that there will be a grind trap in this game no matter how much they reduce the exp requirements or give you exp scrolls since that is just how the base game was designed.

I think the success of those classes will depend on how pleasurable the traps are to those who play them

• Locked thread