Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Saw 20 replies since yesterday. Thought maybe there's a beta starting or something.

Nope, just people arguing about Nixon :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
A friend linked this to me just now:

quote:

Warpportal.com, a website operated by Gravity Interactive, Inc. (Gravity US) has secretly censored the word “Tree of Savior” and the acronym “TOS” in the forum. The word filter built into the website will automatically filter “Tree of Savior” as “Ragnarok Online” and “TOS” as “Ragnarok Online 2”.

http://treeofsaviorgame.com/general/975/gravity-us-censors-tree-of-savior/

Must be really fun telling someone the terms of service don't allow something in that forum now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure it's partly because the Korean clients of just about any online game I've played come with gestapo grade spyware:airquote:anti-cheat:airquote:, so if you cheat you get banned instantly, in theory. Not saying that makes it in any way better, just probably one of the reasons they can afford doing it?

In the west, getting away with installing spyware is a bit harder these days, so they just don't do it. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Silento posted:

RO was a miracle. The designers had no idea what they were doing, but it turned out to be just the right kind of terrible to be great. I think the best designed system is the stats system--each stat has unique characteristics, and there's situations you would want each of them (even luk!) on most classes. A lot of games have very basic stat systems, which is a waste of a perfectly good customization area IMO. Hopefully ToS's system will be as good as RO's.

Stats are a double edged sword. I really really love them (if you want something a little more modern with stat builds, check out dungeons and dragons online, it's really build-friendly and has fun dungeons after the first couple levels), and they make any game triple the fun when you're screwing about with them.

But, stats also throw any resemblance of balance out the window. A 186+ aspd agi knight or a dodge wizard are lots of fun to play imo, but holy poo poo you'll get laughed at by everyone not playing one because it's "not optimal for anything". Enjoy not getting into any group based activity :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I swear if this MMO binding of isaac clone had mouse support it'd be way better.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'd play a diablo clone where you can move with keys and cast in the opposite direction with your mouse. Does diablo do that, or is it still that lovely mouse only ordeal?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GlenQuagmire posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVok1UzBQ9g

Mouse control! It's finally here!
Now we can all live happily ever after and stop clawing at each others' throats when control schemes are brought up.

Ideally they'll let us have a hybrid mode. I'd love to be able to move with keys and shoot with mouse.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's already July 27th, if you're trying to get in with that. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lewtt posted:

Seriously, this soundtrack is by far the best I have ever heard in an mmo, and I thought guild wars soundtrack couldn't be beat.

I was the same, but honestly, FF14 has better music. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Grind isn't even a problem for me as long as playing the game is fun. I don't mind taking 3 years to reach cap if that's the content/fun.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mavric posted:

Monks in RO would use clubs sometimes as well.

Yeah, the best monk weapon was a +10 chain with 3 cards in it back in the day. Plus, fist weapons were 2handed and having a shield is pretty essential to not dying often.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I actually like class specific outfits.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gearman posted:

The character models in TOS are 3d models that are textured and lit to look like 2d sprites.

Huh? Are you sure about that?

From what I remember, they said players are 2d, and enemies are 3d. Granted, I haven't played it yet, but they don't look "fake 2d" in the vidyas.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gearman posted:

Very sure. For one, it's the quickest and easiest way of getting multiple angles and animations for the character sprites. Having to draw each piece of armor and body part in eight different angles, and in various animations is a giant headache.

Oh I know. I just thought they went the olde RO way, but with a bigger budget/less pixel art. Guess not.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lastgirl posted:

how soon is soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeZ9HhHU86o

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The best way of going into a game is blind. Just let it happen.

e:

I'm *this* hyped right now.

Truga fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
First versions of RO also had extremely linear leveling path. There were I think 4 1-20 areas for the 4 starting towns that depended on class, 20-40 had 2 possible areas and after that there was a single path to leveling with any sort of time efficiency.

Of course, only about a year later, there were at least 4 due to the amount of maps they kept making GBS threads out, but very early on it was very limited.

• Locked thread