Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The game supports mouse-driven movement, the aforementioned keyboard movement, and the gamepad support feels surprisingly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I'm also really impressed the the servers are not a smouldering wreckage. Lag is more pronounced than the smaller first test, but it's still totally playable for a stress test.

Some changes I've noticed from the first test so far:

I found a rad named shield called "Meteor" from the infamous giant red kepa near the mining town, it has a chance on being hit to proc a self regen that almost heals me to full. I never found any kind of interesting named loot in the entire first test. Seems like they're implementing more gear.

There's a new monster in the crystal mines that's like a stationary vine that lives on its one tile and seems to spawn more of itself and have no upper limit on how much it can grow. As a result, I found a secluded corner of the mine where they had literally grown into every tile in the entire room, like a thick jungle. I gained half a level just clearing them out with numbers flying everywhere, and found a (rare) level 2 treausre chest at the end of the corridor, which gave a sweet necklace.

The best change I've noticed is that the exp curve so far is muuuuch more bearable than the first test (at least in the lower levels). In the first test, unless you were grinding, by the time you get into the crystal mines the minibosses start becoming absolute chores because they have so much HP and you're not leveling fast enough to keep up via quests. Now, I'm about level 30 as I cleared the crystal mines (this took the entire next zone and some grinding to hit in the first test) and I've been slam dunking every boss so far on my not particularly min-maxed Krivis, which is how it should be in the first few hours of the game.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Controller support works surprisingly well (for combat), especially for melee guys. I encourage everyone to give it a try.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The stat/skill reset scrolls already exist and are in the game to buy with their iCoin currency.

Who knows if you will be able to get them without paying money in the final product. I doubt it.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Someone who understands the game's stats more than I, explain to me why this sword hits harder than this mace, even against enemies who aren't granting the 50% slash vulnerability. My character sheet shows me having a decidedly higher physical attack stat with the mace on, and obviously the weapon itself has a higher range, so what gives. The mace has a red gem in it but unless I'm completely misunderstanding it, that shouldn't matter.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

wfwon posted:

Anyone using controller/keypad for this game? Thinking of buying a 360 controller for this game.

Yes, combat feels great on a gamepad, been playing with one the entire time, though navigating inventory/skill menus is clunky with it and you'll probably still want your mouse nearby for when you need it.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Horizontal Tree posted:

I'd love using a DS3 or DS4 though.. can a DS3 be made to work wired and trick the game into thinking its a 360 controller?

I use a DS3 with ToS and all my other PC controller games in fact. The SCP tool linked above works well.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Third World Reggin posted:

the experience curve has a hell level

http://www.tosbase.com/game/exp-tables/base/

go look at level 46 and 47

This explains a lot.

I was about to come in and report that the exp curve hadn't actually been fixed, they just postponed the exp "drought" by one or two zones into the 40's instead of late 20's like the first test, but then suddenly the exp started flowing like water again and I caught back up to the level of the zones I was in after leaving Tenet chapel. The level of the next outdoor zone is also actually lower than the end of the Tenet chapel dungeon too, which contributed somewhat to this hiccup.

Does nobody have an explanation for the weapon/basic attack damage question I posed earlier? I'm totally stumped and it feels like I'm missing something fundamental about the game mechanics.

Also, in the first test there was an option setting to show the numeric exp gain on each kill as floating text and it was really helpful for figuring out which enemies were best to hunt, but I can't seem to find this setting anymore. Anyone else find a way to turn it on?

Scoss fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 28, 2015

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Bosses are really wildly inconsistent for me. On my Cleric/Krivis if I ever got a boss that was weak to Magic, Holy, or especially Lightning it would get absolutely obliterated, but otherwise past the late 40's it's just been a pretty boring matter of slugging it out.

Problem is further exacerbated by bizarre fluctuations in the zone levels that the main story guides you through. There's a spike at the end of Tenet chapel, then the zone levels go back down, then you proceed through some other outdoor areas and complete a level 64 zone before you get put into a level 58 zone, and the boss levels match the zones.

The fact that they all seem to dump traps periodically as a rule is also pretty underwhelming design. Most of the time I don't know what the traps are even doing, and it's pretty weird to see every boss using traps.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Ninkobei posted:

how ridiculous would it be to make a str cleric to become a paladin eventually and just beat things to death with a club? plate class + defense bonus seem like it would make a decent tank

It's pretty much exactly what I'm doing, though I've hybridized a little bit with some int and It's probably not ideal. I think you basically have to be a strength cleric if you want to become a Monk or Paladin.

If it's anything like actual Ragnarok by the time I become a Paladin the inefficiency of not being pure strength will wind up destroying my character and forcing me to reroll.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Anyone have the scoop on dex builds? I hated how gimmicky dodge and crit was in RO, I'm wondering if it's any more reliable in this game. On my Krivis at least, I'm feeling like monster damage is starting to outpace defense mitigation and I'm afraid it's going to turn out like RO where the only way to be able to take hits is to a) never actually get hit or b) be a specially built tank character with tons of HP and a source of healing.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Baldbeard posted:

Feels like I'm taking a lot of damage as a lvl 50 hoplite while leveling. Is there anything better than potions/camping when you're solo as a swordie? The downtime is kind of ridiculous.

This is part of my curiosity about dex/dodge builds. You can take hits like a champ at lower levels but at some point your passive regen goes from small to totally worthless, and the flat damage mitigation from armor/con doesn't keep up with mob damage.

My solution was to play a Cleric class for this test. Now I just spam cheap SP pots and don't deal with resting at all, I imagine the ranged classes are the same.

There's a lot of stuff like this where it's hard to tell what's deliberate design, and what's an artifact of the game still being significantly incomplete or just a facet of low level play. The game is chockablock with tools meant to clearly encourage and aid "camp" style grinding, but then these tools seem really underpowered and unnecessary in actual play. Most classes don't seem to need to stop for anything and can just chug SP pots like Red Bull, but then you have Swordsman classes that take lots of face hits and have no great way to deal with it (other than killing things fast).

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Finally got to Sadhu around level 80. Seems like a neat class, but the grind has finally become real and I don't have any desire to press on, it was hard enough to just get to rank 4. Even doing a little grinding and scouring the maps for every quest, most of the span from 40 to 80 or so is really threadbare and you have to just be very scrappy and tolerate being well below the level of the map. I really hope they add many more quests, if even just some repeatable ones (I saw only two more repeatable quests after miner's village) and ease up the curve even more than they did from the first test.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

The Quake posted:

Take a look at it this way, cbt2 has been out for a week now. There are already people level 200+. If the max level is 400, that means people will have already blasted through the content of this game in less than a month. This happens in every mmo that is an "endgame" mmo, but this isnt an "endgame" mmo. People just want to be max level in a week and then sit at endgame and complain like every other loving MMO thats ever existed?

I often see this line of argument in defense of grinding, but I think it misses the real point.

Players have a reasonable expectation to be able to see new things at regular and well paced intervals. It's not about fixating on the rush to "endgame", it's a simple matter of all games requiring some degree of novelty to stay interesting. Nearly any type of game needs to throw the player a bone periodically by rewarding them with new environments, enemies, or especially new tools in their gameplay kit. When the game makes you work too hard or too long for too stingy a reward, then this becomes a problem.

The refrain of "what are you rushing to endgame for, it's not a race!/The real game is in the middle!" become meaningless when you look at it not as people rushing to endgame, but simply cutting through the jungle wondering when they'll see something new. Even at the not particularly lofty levels between C3 and C4 I found myself becoming incredibly bored of the very limited skillset that my Krivis had access to. Hitting Sadhu injected a fresh dose of much needed novelty and interest --finally something new again-- but who knows how long that will last in the face of steep experience curves.

Making players fight the same monsters on the same maps with the same limited skills for too long becomes boring no matter what, irrespective of any concerns about "endgame". I'm not sure this is necessarily a fate that ToS will suffer, but based on what I've played so far it certainly could be heading that direction. Knowing that ToS is less egregiously horrible in this regard than other kMMOs is cold comfort.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 4, 2015

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I played a Krivis in the last CBT as well and found it pretty strong, but one of my major gripes with the class is how the gameplay boiled down to casting my one or two strong nuke spells and then waiting for them to cooldown. It was bad enough that I don't think I would want to play one again. I remember a lot of people giving feedback about how boring waiting for spell cooldowns is, particularly in contrast to something like a Barbarian where you just hop around and slam dunk things with autoattacks.

Did this ever get tuned or are mages still all about waiting for cooldowns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Is there a moneymaking/crafting profession that doesn't ruin your character?

• Locked thread