Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dackel posted:

Explain for us not in the know, please?

It's an anticheat that spys on your files to see if you are running (or have run, or have accessed) any hacks and such. Doesn't seem to be much evidence of exactly what or how much it monitors or reports back. But it must be run as an elevated process to begin with. It's not dissimilar to any other one of these things like Hackshield or Punkbuster.

A bigger problem is that it's literally 100% useless, it doesn't stop anything and is incredibly primitive. I'm assuming it's just corporate politics that get it pushed into games because it sure as hell doesn't stop hackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Silento posted:

From what Bio tells me, yes. Corporate and maybe national, too. :v:

Yeah I heard mention that it was something like this but I didn't get any details on it. Presumably Korea itself doesn't care too much because they tie their accounts to their SSN's anyway.

I'm kind of surprised it doesn't get flagged by virus scanners or anything. It would be interesting to get some real details on what it's doing.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Blazing Zero posted:

way it was explained to me is that it's basically a keylogger and that who it forwards to is a mystery. maybe its bad enough that anyone can hook into it and gather info, who knows?

There's no evidence that it has any sort of keylogger at all. Just a bunch of hearsay and panic from people who haven't even looked at it. Something like that would absolutely get flagged by any good virus protection.

What there actually is evidence that it does is:

- Runs while the game itself is active (and closes when the game closes).
- Must be run with elevated privileges.
- Reads your USN Journal (change log of all files on your computer).
- Scans potentially your whole harddrive (and local network) and your active running processes against a db of known hacks (it's a very simple blacklist scanner).
- Has some sort of heartbeat back to it's server and the game of course.
- Has the capability to report some information about your harddrive's files to their server if it wants (supposedly just metadata)

What Neople has claimed about it:

quote:

There are many questions about XIGNCODE 3, a security software for DFO, so we are giving you some answers.
- XIGNCODE 3 runs/ends with the game client at the same time, so if the client is off, XIGNCODE 3 is also off. It does not run as standalone.
- Unlike one of the forum postings saying, XIGNCODE 3 does not collect any information or contents of private files/folders/chatting logs at all. It only scans the existence of hacking tools or suspicious malwares

In the end you have to make the call if you're okay with it or not. It seems almost entirely benign but I wouldn't hold it against anyone for being paranoid of it. It's definitely the kind of thing that hackers are actively targeting to exploit so even if it's not doing anything itself, there's risk of someone else trying to make it do something nasty.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Did you guys actually get keys emailed you to you yet or has that not happened? Because I haven't seen anything in my email.

Looking forward to seeing just how kMMO this game is, based on the pay-for-respecs and Tales of the Grind already, I'm guessing Extremely. The music alone has convinced me to at least give it a try though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Well this game is pretty sick. Anyone else getting insane amounts of lag though? Like I talk to a guy and a minute later the dialog pops up, thank god all the combat is client side at least. It feels pretty amazing to just hit things in this game, they REALLY nailed the hit effects and combat feel.

Gamepad support wise, what is supposed to be the button to actually click things in UI mode? Nothing I push seems to do anything, but everything else with the pad seems to work fine. I'm using a DS4 for what that's worth, emulating 360 controller. Is there a gamepad shortcut to zoom in/out?

I haven't looked at any of the classes yet, is there any class centered around smashing things with hammers or anything like that? Bighuge weapon strikes and all that?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Silento posted:

What are the hacks doing? I definitely won't be surprised to see some, but I don't think I've seen any in person. Please don't be such a pessimist, you don't only have half the materials for a new hat, you already have half the materials for a new hat! :shobon:

A lot of stuff is handled Client Side in this game, you can cheat pretty easily by just knowing that. Stuff like your damage output and position, so you can zip around and kill everything instantly etc. If you've played literally any kMMO before you've probably seen tons of it already, it's everywhere in DFO, Vindictus, and Archeage was extra hilarious as well. And since it's a kMMO they are slapping on an anti-cheat engine that does nothing but set off your virus scanner (currently Xigncode3 in the Korean version, which does quite literally nothing). I wouldn't be surprised if they also add restrictions on trading and the auction house to help deal with gold farmers since that seems to be a common solution as well.

Other stuff that worries me is the grind (weird xp curve, how bad it will be on release, or towards the end game), Upgrading (you know the drill with this poo poo), cost of respecs and other cash shop related items, and of course if there will actually be anything interesting to do at the end game (not likely). Also Stamina which I can't even see the point of aside from being obnoxious for the player occasionally.

Pessimism aside anyway, I think the game is pretty fun so far and I'm looking forward to the release (or "open beta" if you will). Combat feels great, and it looks and sounds amazing in general.

Having to unlock cosmetic customization options is a little weird though, is this going to be another MMO where you have to pay real $$ to be black?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I don't think I've ever seen an MMO community that wasn't completely full of those kinds of people.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Silento posted:

Upgrading is fine, you only lose 1 upgrade on failure past +5 (or +3 on armor) along with your 1 potential, last beta it was set back to 0 so this is already a huge improvement. Upgrades also give a the same amount of attack every upgrade, it's not like in DFO where the the bonuses go from nearly nothing to completely insane. Stamina is used by Warriors to sprint, and for some classes such as Linker or Monk to use certain skills. I honestly have no issues with the exp curve, it's way better than any other similar kMMO I've ever played; people just don't know how to level (quests!), and this will solve itself as guides are written and people learn about the game.

C'mon guys, the warning signs in this game are way way smaller than the ones in other MMOs, and those MMOs had plenty of people on-board until the very end. I'm guilty of that too, but yeah, we don't need to be super hyperbolic.

So is there any way to get Potential back or are you just poo poo out of luck once it runs out? Being a linear improvement doesn't tell you anything about how important it is unless you know what the improvement is relative to the base stats either. It's hard NOT to be more completely hosed than DFO's system though :v:
E: It actually sounds like it works a bit different based on the wiki so I'll have to take a closer look at how Potential works.

I was actually not aware sprinting was a Swordsman only thing, it's the only class I've played so far. That makes a lot more sense then.

I have no problem with cosmetic cash shop items, that stuff is all good. I was mostly joking about it because in DFO you literally can't be black (or any other skin color than the default) unless you pay real money.

As far as the XP curve goes, I haven't had any problem with it in the beta but people were talking like the beta XP rate is way higher than it's intended to be at launch, like 3-5x higher. I don't mind grinding and all that, it just depends on how much and how fun it is. I'll say that not being a game based around the endgame seems like a huge improvement over DFO, after seeing its 'endgame'.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dackel posted:

Potential is used for:

That's not so bad then, and depending on how big of a bonus Upgrading even is it might be less important than adding Sockets and such. The one major downside is that it sounds like you can't even trade gear between your own characters for free?

Silento posted:

The exp thing is a common misconception. While it may be true, there's no evidence it is. There was an experience event for a few days in the kCBT after the most recent wipe last month, but we don't have those rates AFAIK. If they changed how experience worked they would have to readjust all the questing zones, it works out really well ATM if you do all the quests.

Yeah I'm sure hoping it's not true. Right now it feels pretty good, even maybe outpacing things at times using the XP Cards. Especially if you get a recipe for a cool hat that you need to grind up some ingredients for.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I would love something like Diablo 3's Adventure Mode in a game like this, a way to actually have a lot of variety in end game environments and content and an excuse to revist leveling content. As opposed to the typical hitting end game and then you either quit or grind the same 2-3 dungeons into infinity.

I guess something like GW2's scaling works better in an MMO environment though, and that's something you really have to build your game around I think.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If nothing else, we'll always have that totally sick soundtrack to listen to.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In the kr release, has the content started getting tough or interesting at any point? Probably the biggest complaint about the beta I had was that nothing was even remotely challenging or did anything of note. I only played out to 50 or so, but like, even stuff like DFO and BnS has some stuff early in the game that can blast you if you aren't paying attention.

This may or may not have something to do with the fact I was playing as Highlander.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah, I didn't play a ton of RO so I don't really remember how non-linear it actually was, but everything I've played so far of this game makes it feel exactly like every other themepark kMMO out there, in terms of structure.

I don't really mind that formula in general but I guess maybe I've just super burnt out on it at this point, I've been trying to play through BnS and hitting act 2 I'm just not feeling it at all anymore.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I wonder if we're talking character wipes or not during Open Beta. Seems to vary based on the game. Soon as I hear 'no more wipes' I'll probably be there Cartar Stroke things to death.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Eh, $50 is a little too steep for me I think. I'll look forward to F2P, but the whole April -> June timeframe is just completely saturated with releases as it is.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

BTW how bad did the respecs end up being on the KR release? Like can you get them pretty often from just playing the game or are they super expensive or pretty much $$$ only?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

That seems a lot more reasonable, yeah. $10 tier that gives you a month early access and enough TP for a month of premium is a bit tempting.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

You are right, I didn't expand the image and I thought it said 158.

I would probably spent the TP on a Skill Reset potion if anything though, since it doesn't seem like you can get those any other way anymore? Still seems totally ridiculous to me at this point.
E: Sounds like events may occasionally give them out as well for whatever that's worth.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It's not entirely a straight tube but yeah for the most part it's a straight theme park MMO.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Does Dragoon serious not have a jump skill?

Trying to figure out what Swordsman class has the coolest attacks so I can build towards that, but I haven't found a clean video with all the higher rank classes yet.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

What's a good spear user build if I don't particularly care about having a mount? Targeting Dragoon for last class I guess. Seems like you can either build 2h or spear+shield. Looking for something pretty solo-able.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Sacro posted:

Swordsman - Peltasta - Hoplite - Hoplite - Hoplite - Doppelsoeldner - Dragoon is the tryhard good build for this. It is very strong but you'll be using basic attacks a lot at early levels.

That's the exact build I was eyeballing, sweet. Is there a good breakdown on where to put stats now?

• Locked thread