Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you be voting for?
A Liberal
A Progressive Conservative
A New Democrat
A Comedy Option
View Results

• Locked thread
sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Leofish posted:

I really hope that doesn't happen, because that would be a load of garbage. There are plenty of issues facing the province that are way more important than some vague "family values" thing. The keyword lately seems to be more "working families" than "family values." Wynne hasn't played up her sexuality at all since becoming premier, aside from the first couple of days after she was appointed when everyone wanted to talk about it, and I hope the PCs stay away from it, too, because it means nothing in terms of her ability to lead a government or plan a budget, or anything else she'll actually be doing.

The PCO lost the because they got involved in the opublic/catholic school issue. I don't put it pasted them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

sbaldrick posted:

So I've figured out what is going to sink the PCO this time, Hudak or someone is going to talk about family values at some point and say Wynne doesn't speak for Ontario families, which will come off as an attack because of her sexuality.

You know it will happen
The people around Hudak are not nearly that stupid, he's going to be kept well away from social issues and if he hasn't said anything dumb about Wynne's sexual orientation in the last year and a half it's unlikely he does so in the next 37 days.

He does have a 300lb weak spot in the form of the disgraced Mayor of Toronto who has much less self control and no minders left who can tell him to shut up, who should be returning from his (spoiler alert: unsuccessful) forced rehab in the final week of the campaign. Hudak is very reluctant to outright condemn Ford since he is tapped directly into the unthinking id of their movement, but the odds on Ford saying something that demands condemnation are never worse than 50/50.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.
A map of the vote from the last election by individual polls.

Maybe Hudak wants to make some headway into Ford Nation? Etobicoke and Scarborough all voted Liberal or New Democrat.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DynamicSloth posted:

Hudak is very reluctant to outright condemn Ford since he is tapped directly into the unthinking id of their movement

That's a lot of spin to put on Hudak not wanting to talk about Rob Ford on budget day.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ikantski posted:

That's a lot of spin to put on Hudak not wanting to talk about Rob Ford on budget day.

The best thing the OPC can do is keep Hudak from saying anything that isn't about the economy. It doesn't really drive page views though, so the papers have to spin it somehow.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

The best thing the OPC can do is keep Hudak from saying anything.

Just have him smile and nod.

Janderbuilt
Mar 7, 2008

WoOt
If Hudak wins and the OLC gets privatized, would that mean that lottery winnings would then be taxable, like in the States?

That sounds like it would be a legitimate concern for the Conservative base.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Janderbuilt posted:

If Hudak wins and the OLC gets privatized, would that mean that lottery winnings would then be taxable, like in the States?

No. Lottery winnings are exempt from tax at the federal level, and most provinces (including Ontario) are required by agreement with the federal government to use the same definition of taxable income as the federal government does.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DynamicSloth posted:

The first thing a Liberal majority will do is stop playing lip service to the left. Their priorities under a majority (and when they were down one seat) were engineering "a very special report on the importance of austerity" and crushing the teachers and other public sector unions.

There does seem to be a pretty big risk of that happening, especially since the liberals have to fit somewhere between the NDP and the Republican Rightwing Policy Fest that is Hudak's PCs.

Seriously some of those white papers he released a few years before the election are nuts. Backtracking from right-to-work is a good start to wooing Red Tories back to the PCs, but they've got a long way to go.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I think I've discovered what the OLP campaign theme is going to be:

LEADERSHIP LEADERSHIP LEADERSHIP LEADERSHIP LEADERSHIP LEADERSHIP LEADERSHIP LEADERSHIP LEADERSHIP LEADERSHIP

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Well given how well Wynne is polling versus the actual Liberal Party, that's not a huge surprise. The liberals need to make it about personality, so that everyone can't forget that Hudak and Horwath are the only other real alternatives.

Apple Mummy
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8agcmg823Q

I saw the above ad on tv last night. To summerize, "People say leaders shouldn't involve themselves in negative ads, so instead of making personal attacks or using a surrogate let me, Kathleen Wynne, tell you why the NDP is poo poo." To me it comes off as being spiteful that an election was called, but that's probably whatever positive feelings I still have left for the NDP making me want to defend them.

Also, :derp:WELFARE:derp:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

I think I've discovered what the OLP campaign theme is going to be:

LEADERSHIP LEADERSHIP LEADERSHIP LEADERSHIP LEADERSHIP LEADERSHIP LEADERSHIP LEADERSHIP LEADERSHIP LEADERSHIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fnmhj58o0k

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish

Apple Mummy posted:

I saw the above ad on tv last night. To summerize, "People say leaders shouldn't involve themselves in negative ads, so instead of making personal attacks or using a surrogate let me, Kathleen Wynne, tell you why the NDP is poo poo." To me it comes off as being spiteful that an election was called, but that's probably whatever positive feelings I still have left for the NDP making me want to defend them.

That's a terrible ad. I know that it's meant to convey the sense that she's constantly moving forward but it mostly feels as though the camera is trying to get away from her.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Hudak is off to a good start! Awkwardly avoiding direct questions about the Ontario Music Fund while standing in a music studio.

http://globalnews.ca/video/1311719/tim-hudak-kicks-off-campaign-with-awkward-photo-op

The best part is the end when they all walk away and the owner of the music studio isn`t really sure if he should follow the politicians or hang around with the media.

Also `woooow.... He`s going to have to do better than that"

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Duck Rodgers posted:

Hudak is off to a good start! Awkwardly avoiding direct questions about the Ontario Music Fund while standing in a music studio.

http://globalnews.ca/video/1311719/tim-hudak-kicks-off-campaign-with-awkward-photo-op

The best part is the end when they all walk away and the owner of the music studio isn`t really sure if he should follow the politicians or hang around with the media.

Hahahah I came to post about this too. This is really shaping up to be 2011 Election: Part Two so far.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
What you're supposed to read between the lines: "Yep, OMF funding is getting cut. I mean hahaha funding culture and the arts and poo poo, are you serious? Of course public resources are meant for the rich, not hippies; am I speaking Persian here?"

Yeah, this is shaping up to be an easy win for the Liberals, as far as I can see. Hudak can't open his mouth without threatening someone's livelihood, and Horwath won't survive voting down the admittedly-good proposed budget.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Duck Rodgers posted:

Ahahaha this is hilarious. I love how when he realizes that they're not going to stop asking him about it he's just like "Okay bye!" and leaves.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Everyone is so optimistic I can only assume Hudak will win in a landslide.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I have no idea what the NDP think they're doing here, I really hope they have some evidence of this if they're going to start repeating it everywhere.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-votes-2014/horwath-says-liberals-intend-to-privatize-ttc-1.2632096

quote:

Galloway: “I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything from Kathleen Wynne about privatizing the TTC, though.”

Horwath: “You do need to look at what their plan is.”

Galloway: “We have.”

Interestingly, it's the same thing behind that ATU Local 113 video on the first page of this thread, so someone definitely believes it's happening.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I have no idea what the NDP think they're doing here, I really hope they have some evidence of this if they're going to start repeating it everywhere.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-votes-2014/horwath-says-liberals-intend-to-privatize-ttc-1.2632096

Interestingly, it's the same thing behind that ATU Local 113 video up above, so someone definitely believes it's happening.

I think if they're serious about this, Horwath has to give better answers than 'privatize the TTC' when she's really talking about public private partnerships. But I guess they can't explain a P3 in a soundbite?

Meanwhile Hudak is acting like this election is a gimme and not even trying to grow his base.

I'm starting to think Liberal majority.

e: A lot of time to campaign left, however.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Are the NDP going to go after Hudak at all because his plans for the TTC are much easier to explain in their crappiness. He wants Ontario to take the money-making subways and leave Toronto with money-losing buses.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I think if they're serious about this, Horwath has to give better answers than 'privatize the TTC' when she's really talking about public private partnerships. But I guess they can't explain a P3 in a soundbite?

Meanwhile Hudak is acting like this election is a gimme and not even trying to grow his base.

I'm starting to think Liberal majority.

e: A lot of time to campaign left, however.

Oh boy. A P3 to build and operate LRT lines is not even remotely privatizing the TTC, I really hope that's not what they're referring to.

That P3 arrangement has been the plan since 2010 at least, and probably as far back as whenever Transit City was approved for funding.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh boy. A P3 to build and operate LRT lines is not even remotely privatizing the TTC, I really hope that's not what they're referring to.

That P3 arrangement has been the plan since 2010 at least, and probably as far back as whenever Transit City was approved for funding.

The news that Metrolinx would seek a private operator for the LRT came out in 2012, and it certainly is partial privatization of new Toronto transit. It's certainly not privatizing existing services, which it sounds like Horwath was implying quite deliberately.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Lobok posted:

Are the NDP going to go after Hudak at all because his plans for the TTC are much easier to explain in their crappiness. He wants Ontario to take the money-making subways and leave Toronto with money-losing buses.

There are two answers to this:

1. This is day -2 of a 36 day campaign. Obviously, when Horwath's in Toronto, her main opponent is the OLP, and she's going to go after them. If she's London or Niagara Falls, she'll go after Hudak.
(Did you know the writ hasn't even been dropped yet? Weird!)

2. The OLP and the ONDP face more incentives to go after each other than they do to go after the PCs, for two reasons:
-There are more Lib/NDP swing voters than either Lib/PC or PC/NDP swing voters. If there are any large shifts in public opinion, odds are they're coming on the left.
-The unions are going to be carpet bombing the province with anti-Hudak ads. Last election, the OLP spent 5 million in ads, the PCPO spent 5 million in ads, and the ONDP spent 1.8 million in ads (4.2 million total!). Unions spent over 6 million in attacks ads with Hudak as sole target, and they're poised to do it again this year. If the PCs are already going to get flooded with negative ads, it makes sense that the ONDP and OLP would throw some mud each others' way to try to be the beneficiaries.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah, this is shaping up to be an easy win for the Liberals, as far as I can see. Hudak can't open his mouth without threatening someone's livelihood, and Horwath won't survive voting down the admittedly-good proposed budget.

Have the NDP announced their platform yet? I haven't seen anything in the newspapers or online(but I didn't look very hard).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eXXon posted:

The news that Metrolinx would seek a private operator for the LRT came out in 2012, and it certainly is partial privatization of new Toronto transit. It's certainly not privatizing existing services, which it sounds like Horwath was implying quite deliberately.

I thought I remembered it being the proposed method much earlier than that, but this is the first mention of it I can find: http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2011/11/30/ttc_may_not_run_the_eglinton_crosstown_lrt.html (Nov, 2011)

In any case it's hardly news, and they didn't seem to make this big a deal out of it when it was announced.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 6, 2014

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Have the NDP announced their platform yet? I haven't seen anything in the newspapers or online(but I didn't look very hard).

Like Pinterest Mom said, the campaign hasn't even officially started yet. It's way too early to read into where this election is going. Maybe Horwath will come up with a clear and compelling justification for forcing this election on Wednesday, who knows (don't hold your breath though).

I thought I remembered it being the proposed method much earlier than that, but this is the first mention of it I can find: http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2011/11/30/ttc_may_not_run_the_eglinton_crosstown_lrt.html (Nov, 2011)

In any case it's hardly news, and they didn't seem to make this big a deal out of it when it was announced.

Right, but as far as I can tell, it wasn't until 2012 (around a month before this article was written) that it came out that Metrolinx had told the TTC that they would definitely be going with a private operator. The article you linked just says they were considering it.

The ATU ads against P3s - which are the source for the images I posted at the beginning of this thread - only started very recently too. I found this NDP response to the news from 2012. Maybe the NDP didn't make as big of a deal of it then, but this is like a month before McGuinty resigned, so it's not surprising that nobody really cared considering that there hasn't really been any news on the Eglinton LRT operator in the nearly two years since then. I don't think they've actually chosen the operator yet.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Interestingly, the ads are from ATU Local 113, the TTC workers union. So far the ATU Canadian Council hasn't said anything. They represent, among others, the GO/Metrolinx workers union.

I'm curious to see if they'll just avoid the whole thing, especially since Local 113 isn't represented by the ATU Canadian Council. Because P3 or no, the operators are still going to be ATU members.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
So Andrea Horwath wants five leaders' debates, at least one of which will focus on JOBS and THE ECONOMY.

I guessing she wants five public debates so that Hudak says something stupid, and so she can publically harangue Wynne in a sanctioned setting.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Hudak's campaign seems to be moving from gaffe to gaffe at an incredible rate.

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2014/05/06/hudaks-ontario-job-creation-ad-uses-video-clips-outsourced-from-russian-federation/

quote:

Hudak’s Ontario job creation ad uses video clips outsourced from Russian Federation

Regular readers are now familiar with my admittedly tedious fixation with the use of stock photos and video in political communications.

Today, a new entry from the campaign of Ontario Progressive Conservative leader Tim Hudak, who last week released a video that attempts (badly) to replicate the tone and style of the 2011 Courage to Stand TV ad for putative Republican presidential nominee Gov. Tim Pawlenty.

Hudak’s ad, “Ontario Working Better ” begins with him talking about the loss of manufacturing jobs in the province over a video clip of — this is weird — a team of workers busy smoothing out cement on a construction site..

Next, we see video of office workers pointing at a computer screen and nodding sagely. “I know we can do better than this,” Hudak tells us.

This image is not, as it happens, of real Ontario professionals doing their part to steer our economy to greatness.

In fact, it is stock footage from videographer/photographer Dmitriy Shironosov, who sells his work through various online stock photo sites under the name Pressmaster.

Shiranosov resides in Chelyabinsk City, Russian Federation, according to his photo vendor profile, and there is no reason to think that he travelled to Ontario to shoot these clips. The people in them, we presume are everyday Chelyabinskians.

:ughh:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Apple Mummy posted:

I don't even know if I can really articulate why this ad bugs me, but it probably has something to do with running every single commercial break during CBC hockey games.

It's overlong and not really to the point, it opens with her making a weird and hard-to-parse statement that has little to do with the actual content of the ad and only serves to make her look either condescending or hypocritical. It's rambly and vague; seriously, it's a minute long and I don't know what the concrete takeaway from it is supposed to be. Like, were the people who made this ad not living in a country where for the last few years, every once in a while the TV would yell at us "STEPHAN DION IS NOT A LEADER" or "MICHAEL IGNATIEFF: JUST VISITING"? You'd think they'd have picked up the basics of how an effective political ad works.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DStecks posted:

I don't even know if I can really articulate why this ad bugs me, but it probably has something to do with running every single commercial break during CBC hockey games.

It's overlong and not really to the point, it opens with her making a weird and hard-to-parse statement that has little to do with the actual content of the ad and only serves to make her look either condescending or hypocritical. It's rambly and vague; seriously, it's a minute long and I don't know what the concrete takeaway from it is supposed to be. Like, were the people who made this ad not living in a country where for the last few years, every once in a while the TV would yell at us "STEPHAN DION IS NOT A LEADER" or "MICHAEL IGNATIEFF: JUST VISITING"? You'd think they'd have picked up the basics of how an effective political ad works.

My takeaway message is that Wynne enjoys long walks in bland suburbia coloured with the Quake 2 palette.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

I think you missed the best part of this story, where he wants to be like Tim Pawlenty of all people :psyduck:

Tim Hudak also said he was the least likeable of the leaders but he will win anyway, because a leader being likeable doesn't matter at all.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Tim Hudak is trying to balance the budget. Kathleen Wynne and the Liberals? They've wasted billions of your hard-earned money on scandals and boondoggles. The Million Jobs Plan will put Ontarians back to work.

Just not photographers. Or musicians.

Now, for an awkward anecdote about an old person who doesn't like the price of hydro.

(Admittedly, I don't think anyone likes the price of hydro.)

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
Today, at another press event, a journalist asked Hudak what the unemployment rate is in Ontario. He paused and stared blankly for a full six seconds, raised his eyebrows, repeated the question back at her, and then sputtered out a line about how it was above the national average. No number.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Heavy neutrino posted:

What you're supposed to read between the lines: "Yep, OMF funding is getting cut. I mean hahaha funding culture and the arts and poo poo, are you serious? Of course public resources are meant for the rich, not hippies; am I speaking Persian here?"

I sure hope so. This election has me very worried :ohdear: On one hand calling it now forces the Liberals to come out and double down on a very nice budget which could swing political discourse leftward. On the other hand if Hordak gets elected Ontarios already shaky financial position will be devastated; if Rob Fords continued support is any indication there are a lot of really stupid people out there.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Huge Liability posted:

Today, at another press event, a journalist asked Hudak what the unemployment rate is in Ontario. He paused and stared blankly for a full six seconds, raised his eyebrows, repeated the question back at her, and then sputtered out a line about how it was above the national average. No number.
Gotcha!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Andrea Horwath wants to raise the minimum wage not to $11 but $12, and will even give small businesses a 3% tax cut.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/05/06/ontarios-ndp-want-to-raise-minimum-wage-to-12-an-hour-offset-with-cut-to-small-business-tax/

quote:

In trying to appeal to both sides, Horwath said New Democrats are “sensitive” to the effect a higher minimum wage would have on job creators.

“We want to see the minimum wage increase but in a way that’s balanced and allows small businesses to absorb the impact,” Horwath said outside a coffee shop where she spent part of the morning chatting with patrons.

The plan would involve a gradual increase over the next two years while also tying the raise to inflation to ensure a fair minimum wage in the future, she said.

The Liberal government has raised the minimum wage to $11 an hour as of June 1 but its proposed legislation for inflation indexing died with the election call.

The Canadian Federation of Independent Business called Horwath’s two-pronged approach an “interesting proposal” but noted it involved very separate initiatives.

“You’re comparing apples with oranges in the sense that one’s a payroll cost and the other one’s income tax,” said senior policy analyst Nicole Troster.

“The minimum wage increase would basically put pressure on payrolls, and it’s a cost that would have to be paid if a business is making profit or not.”

A better idea, she said, would be for more provincial investment in skills training to allow people to move up from minimum-wage jobs.

Troster did say the federation would support a cut to the small business tax rate on its own.

So there's something from the NDP, playing both sides of the coin here. I like that the CFIB seemed a bit thrown off there. "Well, we LIKE the tax cut... Hmm, minimum wage, though... but the tax cut is good. Taxes are bad. But minimum wage... Can we just get the tax cut? We'd be fine with just the tax cut."

I don't know if Horwath herself specifically said "job creators" or if that was just the writing of Canadian Press reporter Diana Mehta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
To be fair, she did propose a pretty useless job skills training program increase.

Which will probably be used for Second Career.

• Locked thread