Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you be voting for?
A Liberal
A Progressive Conservative
A New Democrat
A Comedy Option
View Results

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Lobok posted:

3. Liberals... what's their stereotype?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17pqw_back-to-power_news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Lobok posted:

Way to live up to the stereotypes it seems.

1. NDP not prepared.
2. Conservatives more like this picture than they were letting on:

I'd say the liberals characterize that photo more than the PCs.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Lobok posted:

Way to live up to the stereotypes it seems.

1. NDP not prepared.
2. Conservatives more like this picture than they were letting on:

Arrogant and corrupt.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Mojito sipping fag hags.

Or something, I don't know.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Kafka Esq. posted:

Mojito sipping fag hags.

Or something, I don't know.

Weren't they, in fact "latté-sipping, mojito-sipping"?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

bunnyofdoom posted:

Arrogant and corrupt.

[Pierre-Trudeau.jpg]

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lobok posted:

Natural governing party.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lobok posted:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Lobok posted:

Different package, same old poo poo.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Missing the :smug: reference to Noble Peace Prize.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Myself and Mr Tighclops Esq have stumbled upon how to solve the issue of parties that no-one wants to vote for

The party suggested on the screen is the best idea for Ontario politics

Of course, by best, I mean, still better than Hudak and Horwath.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Globe and Mail has a fantastic behind the scenes look at the campaign.

:ms: re: the NDP campaign.

quote:

It helped the Liberals that the NDP campaign failed to catch fire.

The party had been optimistic it could attract Liberals disaffected by the spending scandals. At the helm was Gissel Yanez, a seasoned strategist who had run both Ms. Horwath’s leadership campaign and her 2011 general election effort. The war room was led by Eoin Callan, a former journalist, while Jen Hassum ran the communications shop. They could also draw on a reserve of federal veterans, most notably Brian Topp, for advice.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
You know how we kept talking about the NDP not actually taking a look at why they lost the election, and instead blaming everyone else? Horwath has basically confirmed that.

quote:

Horwath appeared to blame some her party's lacklustre showing on "strategic voting," hinting that many left-leaning Ontarians opted to vote Liberal to block PC Leader Tim Hudak from winning seats. Hudak, whose party lost 10 seats in the election, ran on a campaign with promises to make deep public service cuts.

"People voted out of fear," said Horwath. "They strategically voted to keep Mr. Hudak's plans off the books. Many people believed in our plan, but strategic voting is something that took hold in a great way in this province."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/andrea-horwath-defends-ndp-s-election-performance-1.2686750

She also called the budget a regressive "Trojan horse" rather than the progressive budget everyone's talking about. Hmmmm, maaaaybe just maybe if she believed that she should have campaigned on that rather than the corruption thing, and made it clear how she was more progressive than this apparently-regressive OLP budget, once it was clear that her approach wasn't getting traction?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

vyelkin posted:

You know how we kept talking about the NDP not actually taking a look at why they lost the election, and instead blaming everyone else? Horwath has basically confirmed that.

She also called the budget a regressive "Trojan horse" rather than the progressive budget everyone's talking about. Hmmmm, maaaaybe just maybe if she believed that she should have campaigned on that rather than the corruption thing, and made it clear how she was more progressive than this apparently-regressive OLP budget, once it was clear that her approach wasn't getting traction?

:suicide: Replace her with a non retarded leader please so I can vote NDP again.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"Let's blame the voters for not voting for us" yes surely this is a productive line of thought that will serve the NDP well in the future.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

vyelkin posted:

You know how we kept talking about the NDP not actually taking a look at why they lost the election, and instead blaming everyone else?

These conversations are definitely happening but I'm not sure why you would expect to read about them on the CBC? If you just want to see Andrea flagellating herself in public then you're doomed to disappointment, the election didn't go that badly for her.

In other news, the Liberals have appointed Deb Matthews (who you may remember from such wise spending decisions as eHealth and ORNGE) as Minister of Savings and Accountability Treasury Board president with vastly expanded deficit-fighting powers. I imagine this comes as a terrible shock to all the people who bought into the idea of Kathleen Wynne, Totally Progressive Superstar, during the election, but then I also imagine most of those people will only hear about this if it gets a big headline on the Star's front page.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Guy DeBorgore posted:

If you just want to see Andrea flagellating herself in public then you're doomed to disappointment, the election didn't go that badly for her.

Yeah, except for the part where her party lost any pretense of power in the legislature. Or where they lost three of five seats in their core area of support in exchange for some historically fickle suburban and rural ridings. Other than that, it went great.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Guy DeBorgore posted:

In other news, the Liberals have appointed Deb Matthews (who you may remember from such wise spending decisions as eHealth and ORNGE) as Minister of Savings and Accountability Treasury Board president with vastly expanded deficit-fighting powers. I imagine this comes as a terrible shock to all the people who bought into the idea of Kathleen Wynne, Totally Progressive Superstar, during the election, but then I also imagine most of those people will only hear about this if it gets a big headline on the Star's front page.

Not to nitpick, but didn't the eHealth scandal occur under the previous health minister, David Caplan? Or have more recent criticisms come out since Matthews was in charge?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Guy DeBorgore posted:

I imagine this comes as a terrible shock to all the people who bought into the idea of Kathleen Wynne, Totally Progressive Superstar, during the election, but then I also imagine most of those people will only hear about this if it gets a big headline on the Star's front page.

No one thought the Liberals weren't bullshit. They are just better than pig poo poo the conservatives where shoveling.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Rutibex posted:

No one thought the Liberals weren't bullshit. They are just better than pig poo poo the conservatives where shoveling.

What type of poo poo is the NDP in this metaphor?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

The kind that makes you wonder when you last ate corn.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The kind you put in one hand while you wish in the other.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001

Underdogshit. The kind that almost floats but ends up dragging along the bottom of the bowl. Then, after being mildly agitated, a pocket of air escapes it's folds, causing it to sink entirely to the bottom; as the bubble escapes the shallow porcelain pool and breaks against, you think you almost hear a faint whisper.

But it's just a buzz from the fly escaping it's watery doom.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The NDP is piss; normally much less smelly than poo poo but it's first thing in the morning and they had asparagus last night.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Guy DeBorgore posted:

If you just want to see Andrea flagellating herself in public then you're doomed to disappointment, the election didn't go that badly for her.

She gained exactly zero seats, lost two Toronto strongholds, and lost all bargaining power for the next four budgets. All when she was the first one to know the election was coming. How did that go well?

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014
Donationchat: I gave $400 to my local NDP candidate because there was no Communist Party of Canada (Marxist-Leninist) candidates in my riding. The CPC(ML) didn't run provincially and essentially endorsed the NDP anyway. I'm thinking of giving around $750 to the Marxist-Leninists in the 2015 federal election if I have enough money. Just trying to do my part.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

harper is bisexual posted:

Donationchat: I gave $400 to my local NDP candidate because there was no Communist Party of Canada (Marxist-Leninist) candidates in my riding. The CPC(ML) didn't run provincially and essentially endorsed the NDP anyway. I'm thinking of giving around $750 to the Marxist-Leninists in the 2015 federal election if I have enough money. Just trying to do my part.

Take that $750 and buy a gun for a homeless person. It will have about as much revolutionary impact.

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014

Rutibex posted:

Take that $750 and buy a gun for a homeless person. It will have about as much revolutionary impact.
The donation would only cost me $275 after generous tax breaks. Also I don't know if I care about "revolutionary impact" as if I'm some Peter Singer of the Left. I just want to buy some signs for someone who wants to substitute parliamentary democracy with something more like Cuba or North Korea.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The donation would only cost me $275 after generous tax breaks. Also I don't know if I care about "revolutionary impact" as if I'm some Peter Singer of the Left. I just want to buy some signs for someone who wants to substitute parliamentary democracy with something more like Cuba or North Korea.

The homeless person could use the money a lot more than the political sign manufacturing corporation. Cuba and North Korea don't exist because of voting.

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014

Rutibex posted:

The homeless person could use the money a lot more than the political sign manufacturing corporation.
Hmm... Gonna need to see your excel sheet of optimal utility before I decide how to use my money.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

The bait here is way too overt, 0/10. But what the gently caress, I'd love to hear you defend why any sane person would want society or government to be more like North Korea in any way :allears:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
If you're making a troll account you might want to hold your fire a bit longer before saying you want Canada to be more like North Korea. A bit more foreplay is needed before you jump to full LF mode.

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014
I only mentioned those two countries because those are the ones that the CPC(ML) supports. Most revolutionary countries in the 20th Century had similar political systems. China, for example, still has a people's democracy.

Edit: Let's not derail things away from Ontario though I guess.

harper is bisexual fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 27, 2014

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The CPC ML officially "supports" North Korea?

China, for example, still has a people's democracy.

:allears:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

ok whose troll account are you

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014
Anyway I was sad that Jonah Schein lost in Davenport. He was a good guy. If the NDP had a better platform or even just anything for them to run on in Toronto it would have been easy for him to win again.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Aw HIB you are precious

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Anyway I was sad that Jonah Schein lost in Davenport. He was a good guy. If the NDP had a better platform or even just anything for them to run on in Toronto it would have been easy for him to win again.

What, are you suggesting that a combination of Horwath's pocketbook populism and "clean trains, clean trains, CLEAN TRAINS!!!!!" repeated ad nauseam wasn't good enough for Davenport?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

I would have voted for him if he had been part of that letter sent to Horwath by those NDP MPPs who didn't agree with her campaign policies or rhetoric, but he didn't. It was a pretty contested riding though -- he only won the first time by 1000 votes so I think it was always going to be pretty fierce competition.

But you're right, if the NDP had a better platform he would have probably won.

• Locked thread