Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you be voting for?
A Liberal
A Progressive Conservative
A New Democrat
A Comedy Option
View Results

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Heavy neutrino posted:

Just whom does Horwath think her party's supposed to appeal to now that she's gone and deliberately pissed off the unions in a bid for power?

Let's start a petition to force the NDP to rename itself to the New Liberal Party it so desperately wants to be.

What is the NDP platform anyways? I mean what more did they want besides what the Liberals gave them? Seemed like a pretty good budget and the NDP is just being retarded and having an election. I will hate the NDP forever if Hudak somehow wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

The best thing the OPC can do is keep Hudak from saying anything.

Just have him smile and nod.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah, this is shaping up to be an easy win for the Liberals, as far as I can see. Hudak can't open his mouth without threatening someone's livelihood, and Horwath won't survive voting down the admittedly-good proposed budget.

Have the NDP announced their platform yet? I haven't seen anything in the newspapers or online(but I didn't look very hard).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

Well.

All ministries except health would see cuts. 10% fewer teachers, which he says can be done by increasing class sizes.

:rip: 2014 PC campaign, May 7 2014-May 9 2014.

:lol: Oh little Timmy Hudak, one day you will learn not to say retarded poo poo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 9, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I love the "pfft, we can afford to get rid of teachers, we'll just increase class sizes!" bit. Like, yeah, dude, that's the ticket. Do exactly the opposite of good practice, let's just jam a hundred kids into each classroom because there's not enough teachers to run two concurrent English classes anymore.

Does he think there's only five kids per class right now? Is that it? He looked at the total number of registered teachers in Ontario and not the "full-time permanent" number and got confused?

Pfft why do we even need class "rooms"? Just shove all the kids into the gym with 1 teacher. Think of the savings! :homebrew:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

vyelkin posted:

Step one of the Million Jobs plan is out:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/hudak-says-he-would-cut-corporate-taxes-by-30-per-cent/article18596374/

Hudak says he would cut corporate taxes by 30% if elected, and that this would somehow create 120,000 new jobs, presumably to employ the 100,000 fired civil servants. Aren't Ontario's corporate taxes already some of the lowest in North America, and businesses aren't exactly flocking to create jobs out of gratitude?

Let's compare his two promises: 100,000 people will be guaranteed unemployment. Corporate taxes will be cut, which does not guarantee a rise in jobs. We could easily just end up with 100,000 more unemployed people, and less government funds and workers to help with unemployment assistance and active labour market policies. Now there's a winning economic strategy, Tim! :thumbsup:

He really is a true believer. Just lower taxes and corporate taxes and the jobs will create themselves. Why? How? They just will!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

sbaldrick posted:

In a CBC interview this morning, Hudak said he would be OK with classrooms of 60 kids. He must have gone batcrap crazy as you can't even say that in Alabama.

What

the

gently caress?

It was bad enough when there were close to 30 kids in a room when I was going through school. It was basically impossible to learn. I don't see how anyone could possibly believe this is a good thing.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Hudak just got kicked out of a TTC station by security for trying to campaign without permission. :laffo:

:lol:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

vyelkin posted:

loving :lol: what a shambles this campaign is.

e: in this interview, Hudak also says he would cut the Seniors' Home Renovation tax credit. Sweet plan, alienate the old people, Tim. Same for McGuinty's rebate on undergraduate tuition. If you listen to the interview, he really is just talking out of the GOP playbook. He goes on and on about how the only way to encourage the private sector to create jobs is to balance the budget. It makes no sense.

I bet they are kicking themselves for not booting his rear end out last year when a few members brought that up last year.

Heavy neutrino posted:

How the gently caress can the PCs be polling ahead of everyone else

Because people are stupid as gently caress. Gas plant scandal! Lower taxes!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

Here's the press release.

Nothing squeezes your typical everyday middle class family's kitchen table more than hydro bills!

What the gently caress are you doing NDP? :psyduck:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm really disappointed that the PCs are literally the only option if I want to see nuclear power developed in Ontario. Everyone else is promising to halt or revert nuke development and investment.

But but ATOMS :ohdear:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

vyelkin posted:

Wow, if tax cuts really create that many jobs then why doesn't Hudak just go all out and pledge to eliminate taxes on everything altogether? With his magic job math, that would create.... *crunches numbers* INFINITE JOBS!

Wow, we'd really be an economic powerhouse then.

As taxes approach 0, the amount of jobs created nears infinity.

Rutibex posted:

Its just backwards thinking. Companies don't hire more people when they have higher profit margins; they hire more people when they have more customers. Cutting 100,000 public service jobs means 100,000 less customers for these businesses to serve. They will need less employees not more :psyduck:

Supply and demand? Nah its a lie. Companies will just hire more people out of the goodness of their hearts and because they can afford it thanks to lower taxes. Thanks Hudak!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 13, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

Meanwhile, Andrea Horwath will stop the gravy train.

Efficiencies!

:downsgun:

With any luck, the libs will win again and Hudak and Horwath will be out on their asses as leaders. At least Horwath. Hudak can stay because he helps other parties win.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Huge Liability posted:

On the subject of yard signs, there are absolutely no NDP signs up in my riding. Not a single one. And that is because they still don't have a candidate.

Shame the election was unexpected. Wait...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

geese posted:

Personally, I would just love for us to become the government. If we have to go all-in on populism to gain another 15-20 seats to head up a minority government, then that's fine with me. Andrea Horwath has a degree in labour studies and she was a community development coordinator before getting into politics. She's as left-wing as anyone in the base, and we have a lot of great progressive candidates and I trust them to deliver. But we have to find a way to win, even if we have to find ways to get a few more yokels in Sarnia or wherever to vote for us.

You can understand if people are hesitant seeing as the NDP looks to be basically saying whatever it takes to attempt to get into power, even if the ideas are terrible.

edit: vvvv Pretty much that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Wow, they are drinking some hosed up kool aid at ONDP HQ.

Guys we totally have an awesome plan coming in a few weeks that will surely bring us all the votes.

I can only imagine what right wing talking point they will spout in a sad attempt to gain more votes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Guy DeBorgore posted:

Trick question, there's never been a Canadian government that D&D would recognize as "left wing."

Except of course for the Wynne government, who were totally going to give us all great pensions and loads of voter-friendly investment until that meanie Andrea Horwath defeated the budget.

Why yes, I'm a tad bitter that the Liberals have apparently succeeded in convincing otherwise-intelligent D&D posters that they're more leftwing than the NDP, despite having governed from the right for an entire decade.

If you just saw the election platform of each party without their names attached, are you telling me you would pick the NDP one as the left party? Be honest.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Huge Liability posted:

It's been a week since I last posted and I still haven't seen a single NDP sign in my riding. But I did see our very first Liberal sign today! One red sign on the main thoroughfare of the largest town in the riding. So far, that's it.

There's just no excuse for this kind of foot-dragging. Between this and Horwath's populist campaign, I'm feeling pretty alienated by the NDP. I signed up to volunteer in-person last week and straight up told them, "I just graduated, I have tons of time, I have a car, put me to work." I haven't heard anything since then. What the hell, guys?

You should have told them you were a temporarily down on his luck job creator. They would have given you something to do. Hell, they might let you run for them in a riding!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Where is this $200 million coming from?

Clearly you missed the 600 million in savings she will find after stopping the gravy train. I bet the 200mil comes from there :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Personally, I'm mad at the NDP for rejecting the budget because on top of leaving us with the possibility of a PC minority that's promised to disembowel the province

This is really it for me. Yea the libs might have backed out on their promises, but that would be infinitely better than a PC government.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

brucio posted:

I want whoever wrote that to do one for 10 years after Wynne wins and then 10 years after Horwath wins and then 10 years after whoever the Green one is, just because I'm curious how dark of a leftist-dystopia they can envision.

Wifi is banned. Homeopathy, chiropractors and acupuncture surge 10000%.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Goosed it. posted:

I'm in the Trinity-Spadina riding all the time and have seen loads of houses with Joe Cressy signs and no Rosario signs. I wasn't explicitly paying attention yesterday when I was there, but last week I did a mental double-take on whether Cressy was provincial or federal due to the abundance of Cressy signs and lack of other NDP signs.

I've seen a few Rosario signs, but yea its mostly Cressy. I did see a few Han Dong signs for the libs too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:lol: for anyone that still had hope for the ONDP before this. But don't worry, they will totally govern from the left if elected despite campaigning from the right because that is a thing that happens.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Helsing posted:

Nearly three quarters (72%) of Ontarians are of the opinion that ‘it is time for another provincial party to take over and run the province

:suicide: I don't get that logic at all. Let's vote for the Tories because things are ok now so clearly we need a change of leadership and have someone gently caress everything up again.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yea, outside of winning (lol) I don't see her being leader after this election.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DynamicSloth posted:

That's a terrifyingly cynical view a party blew away something in the neighbourhood of a billion dollars most of which ended up as a corporate give away but you can't be bothered to give a poo poo because "oh everyone does that"

I care about record a poo poo-tonne more than I care about rhetoric and the Liberal record beyond a budget they never expected was going to be enacted is solidly centre-right. Now I don't like everything about how Horwath is campaigning or has acted in opposition (although my chief complaint on the latter is that she propped up the Liberals for so long), but i've got no illusions about which parties are going to give away billions in corporate giveaways (above and below the table) and who respects collective bargaining.

If the budget had passed, they can't just go "lol whoops jk" and not implement it. It becomes law. And are you seriously saying that even though the NDP has shifted to the right you expect them to pull off their mask and reveal they only did that for votes and here is their true left agenda? Because that has happened never.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DynamicSloth posted:

I expect if the Liberals get a majority the first budget they pass will look very different from this one.

Then its a good thing the NDP shot down their left leaning budget to call this election.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

vyelkin posted:

Even economists don't agree with Hudak that cutting tons of stuff creates jobs.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/economists-poke-holes-in-hudaks-job-creation-plan/article18881984/

Jesus Christ.

tl;dr: Even if you take the PCs' assumptions at face value and assume that their policies actually would create jobs, which isn't guaranteed, they did their loving math wrong and counted each job eight times.

But the plan is over 8 years! Multiple jobs created by 8! Makes sense to me :downsgun:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

vyelkin posted:

Even economists don't agree with Hudak that cutting tons of stuff creates jobs.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/economists-poke-holes-in-hudaks-job-creation-plan/article18881984/

Jesus Christ.

tl;dr: Even if you take the PCs' assumptions at face value and assume that their policies actually would create jobs, which isn't guaranteed, they did their loving math wrong and counted each job eight times.

Liberals and Tories deadlocked in Ontario election support, poll says

:cripes: gently caress everything if Hudak gets a majority.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hudak looks loving ready in that poster.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Badger of Basra posted:

Is Horwath out if the NDP loses seats?

I think the only way she doesn't get booted out on her rear end is if the NDP picks up 2-4 seats. I mean the only leader I can see not being booted if they lose is Wynne. Hudak will be a two time loser and Andrea alienated a lot of traditional ndp voters with this gambit.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

geese posted:

It's been a crazy couple weeks since the platform launch at HQ. I haven't been shipped off to a campaign yet, but the office population has dwindled significantly over the last few days.

If everything goes our way we might hit as many as 30, but more like a more modest net gain of seats.. My sense is that most of the incumbents are pretty safe, but there are definitely 2 or 3 they are seriously concerned about. You can probably guess which ones.

People outside Toronto really do like Andrea and that's where the gains will be. I'm not prepared to make too many specific predictions yet, but I think we will take 2/3 of Sudbury and the two Thunder Bays, for instance.

30 seats? Do you guys hit the crackpipe every day or just when making predictions? I'd be impressed if the NDP got 25 up from their current 21.

edit: In before Tory majority but the NDP got more seats so it was worth it!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 6, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

geese posted:

I just don't trust the Liberals to implement any of the good stuff in a meaningful way before the scheduled election in 2015, and by then it would be too late. I'm convinced 100% that Tim Hudak would win a majority next year. Kathleen Wynne would not be able to point to a single significant accomplishment in 2015, even if we supported the budget. Wynne put Andrea in a really tough spot and Andrea is taking a gamble.

My very early prediction since we're a week out is 44/39/23 Liberal/PC/NDP. Currently it's 48/37/21. Some shuffling around here and there but mostly the status quo.

Ah yes, the only way to stop Hudak from winning next year is to give him a chance to win this year. Brilliant strategy!

But it's ok because the overall standings won't change and the Liberals will still push this budget through. But then they won't implement anything so then according to you Hudak would win when the next election was called anyways.

I'm glad we are giving Hudak as many chances to win as possible. He sure needs the help.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Guy DeBorgore posted:

... like what? I get that our messaging has swung right, but the platform itself is very much centre-left. Corporate tax rate increases, minimum wage increased and tied to inflation, social assistance increased, what part of it is right wing at all?

Job creators job creators job creators.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

vyelkin posted:

The Star has a lengthy article about an interview with Horwath:

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario_election/2014/06/07/an_upbeat_horwath_seems_relaxed_and_angry.html

Highlights:
  • She decided to vote against the budget before reading it or knowing what was in it.
  • “I walk in the shoes of Tommy Douglas and it’s a big responsibility to bear”
  • Her mother has pretty severe alzheimers
  • There is very little of substance there. I kept scrolling down expecting to get to the meat of the article and instead fot more fluff.

quote:

The NDP leader had skipped the budget lockup that day, a first chance to read the document before it was tabled in the legislature and for weeks had refused to sit down with Premier Kathleen Wynne to discuss what the NDP wanted the budget to include.

What was the point, Horwath asked herself. Barring a huge surprise, she had made her decision.

:lol: gently caress off Andrea. Funnier that they seemed like they were the least prepared party for the election.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

sbaldrick posted:

The OPC knows they've lost right. As there is no way to air this without getting sued.

Speaking of getting sued, how is that lawsuit that Wynne filed against Hudak for libel going?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Sorry for crossposting this but drat.

Hahahahaha gently caress You Joe Oliver.

Other FP scaremongering article attached to this one:

"Day of reckoning nears as Ontario faces risk of fresh credit downgrade"

And for hilarity's sake:

"Comment: Why Tim Hudak’s Million Jobs Plan is easy to achieve"

I read that as John Oliver first and was wondering why a comedian would care about our economy.

John Oliver would be a better finance minister anyways :colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

vyelkin posted:

Maybe the NDP should find some lawyers to run.

Are the political assistants in the NDP just interns they got to run in places they don't have a chance because they don't have enough real candidates? Because :laugh:

And I'm surprised the green is registered massage therapist and not chiropractor.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aix Athanatos posted:

How expensive would it be to build some new :krad: CANDU reactors as opposed to fixing up the old plants? I'd love to be 100% pro-nuclear but every time I bring it up folks complain about the cost. Is it actually more cost-effective than solar/wind?

Seeing as we sold the rights to CANDU to SNC-Lavalin for loving peanuts, probably a lot of money(to SNC-Lavalin).

Lumius posted:

I know my local candidate is one of the political assistants. In this case it refers to being an aide of the local Councillor which is a plus (he has shown up to a bunch of local events like tree planting etc). He ran last election (and maybe the one before that), i think he has a decent chance of winning a toronto riding that has been liberal for ~20 years.

Oh ok. I heard that early on they were having trouble fielding enough candidates that they had to use random people around the office to run in ridings.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

linoleum floors posted:

Lol @ all you suckers falling for Kathleen Wynne's scare tactics

More like Horwath going full retard. But ok

alternatively: lol @ all you suckers for thinking that Horwath will totally pull to the left despite campaigning with right-wing talking points. because this is totally a thing that happens

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ZeeBoi posted:

My riding might actually go Liberal again after 8 years.

My riding of Trinity-Spadina might go Libs as well. At least they are leading 2:1 in votes counted

ZeeBoi posted:

Egg on Andrea's face, Hudak to be turfed (:pray:), this is a good night

Is there any chance they keep Andrea around? I don't see how she can still be leader if she triggered an election that gave the libs a majority(assuming they get one).

• Locked thread