Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
The University in the town where I live is dealing with budget cuts and while the comments section of the local newspaper's website always contains a rich vein of STDH, today they struck gold on a story about the University Library.

quote:

Strange things happen sometimes during our morning coffee gatherings, now the five of us. A couple of other customers have suspected who we are over the weeks and give us snippets now and again. This morning we were reading of the latest cuts at the University Library when someone overheard us, came over and suggested we talk to a gentleman sitting by himself studying ’The Encyclopedia of Civil War Usage.’ Quite the character this gentleman happened to be, with quite the story, so be patient. His latest endeavor being to publish 4 books in two years. He’s now on his fifth in 3 years, hence the encyclopedia. Prior to that his resume runs thick; with farming, soldiering, firefighting, even some spook and kicker (loadmaster) work. Been arrested, deported, beaten and diseased, and in some pain while we talked. His last ‘real’ job, and the reason he came up, was as a software developer. Something he taught himself while sitting in a hangar back in 1996, apparently, and ended up making millions for a company he contracted with for eight years (leaving because they forced him into being a full-time employee - that’s not me, he said, so he left), being one of only 3 people who built software still sold globally to universities and libraries. Now the first kicker; The University library advertised a job, a primary requisite being experience with the software this gentleman had built. Since we already know from previous people, and documents we have seen, that the university is a dirty, nasty, nepotistic institution, we were sadly not surprised to learn that this job went to an intern not two years out of school. The gentleman laughed when he saw the reason for our conversation. “Ironic, no?” He said. "I made millions for this company, knew that software like the back of my hand, because it came from my hand, and could have improved on it to make even more for the University, too. But they don’t like private success, it scares them, I could see it in their eyes. They want malleable people they can control.” We asked why he didn’t do so himself. “People like me are not business minded, we hate business. I returned to this town to be left alone, do my job, do it well, and be left alone. Well, now I’m left alone, mostly, and I write.” We asked if he fought the issue and he explained that if people mess with him, he will mess with them. So he did for a while, calling out the liars and able to forever call them liars. “Sally England is well known as being the university’s corporate liar. Her job, now that Martinez is no longer there, has passed to a woman that used to head up the State Human Rights Bureau. Dots starting to come together are they?” He asked. We knew that already thanks to others who’ve had the same problems, a long list, and have seen their case files. That was the second kicker if you hadn't picked it up. The conclusion being that the university is on a collision course with total failure thanks to ballooning administration, rampant nepotism, cronyism, abject favoritism, the worst being the constant lies, of course, as well as a total failure to step into the 21st Century where education is ready for a massive change - or should we say revitalization, where administrators and sports are not the primary consideration, students and teachers are.

We started this whole thing as bit of a hobby after researching information for a chapter in someone else's book (a book being written by a friend of the man we met today strangely enough). That was completed long ago but there was so much information coming our way, which has not stopped, obviously, that we are now thinking of writing a whole book on the subject by ourselves. Seriously, there is so much overt corruption in this town it is unbelievable. That’s not to say it doesn’t also happen elsewhere. But we enjoy it here and would like to see something better. Is that really too much to ask?

And did you also know there is even favoritism, or should we say 'a certain pressurization,' in awarding degrees? That, just in through our email two minutes ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

J Miracle posted:

EDIT: I do believe that guy exists and told that story, there's a guy like that in almost every small town, they usually "made millions for" somebody else while getting screwed out of it somehow, also they're often working on a book and "know what's really going on around here."

Agreed, though I think the narrator has embellished whatever was said in this case. To me its the framing device is what makes the whole thing gloriously STDH. On first read I thought I'd stumbled across a blog post by someone with self diagnosed multiple personalities and "head mates".

quote:

Strange things happen sometimes during our morning coffee gatherings, now the five of us. A couple of other customers have suspected who we are over the weeks and give us snippets now and again.

quote:

We knew that already thanks to others who’ve had the same problems, a long list, and have seen their case files.

I suppose the writer could be the head of a band of brave citizen journalists dedicated to exposing corruption wherever it may be found. But wait, they've posted again;

quote:

That's the rumor anyway. A rumor that has spread considerably, and one that might be somewhat to blame for the lightness of the spring quarter.

This, left on our table as we went for more coffee this morning. But we wanted time to corroborate the information, which appears valid after a little basic research. So shame on the Newspaper. Clearly the paper thinks the university administrators more valuable in protecting than those parents sending their children to college.

To whoever thinking university administrators are bright, this should abrogate that notion. You do the research, otherwise you will not believe. Low enrollment explained.
:tinfoil:

• Locked thread