Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Vindolanda posted:

That only happens with Italians

Holy gently caress I love these forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Noyemi K posted:

Troper STDH

You know, I read this stuff and I have to wonder if anybody on the Troper Tales boards actually believes the other Tropers' stories, or if it's just some kind of weird contest where everyone's trying to one-up each other.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

A little late, but you'd be surprised how often people do the "I'm a top secret trained assassin" thing and how many people honestly believe it without question. I watch a lot of true crime shows and this poo poo comes up all the time.

Maybe so, but I'm more inclined to believe that Kurt Busch is completely batshit insane.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Drunk Tomato posted:

There is no scientific proof of gluten sensitivity being a thing at all, beyond legit Celiac's sufferers - and do not count the self-diagnosed. It's literally something most people read in a magazine and took at face value: gluten=bad.

Pretty much this. I've got a friend who decided she was "gluten intolerant" and stopped eating gluten about 6 years ago. And of course, she can't really be tested to verify this because that would mean having to eat foods with gluten for a week to see how she reacts (so she says).

The thing is, "gluten insensitivity" or "gluten intolerance" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Guess what you have to avoid when you can't eat gluten? Foods made with refined white flours and simple carbs (think white breads, pastas, pretty much ALL junk foods). Guess what foods make you feel bloated and sick when you eat them in abundance? Foods made with refined white flours and simple carbs (think white breads, pastas, junk food). So of course you're going to feel better if you cut them out of your diet.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Minge is a very unpleasant word, almost as bad as panties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiFM0xRXlic

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

How massive would your hands have to be for "perfect hand fit" to translate to "big boobs?"

???

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

Women are such bitches about cars amirite?!

quote:

"They stole a car part that doesn't exist!" :rant:

This one... I can actually believe happened.

My mom works in the consumer protection division of the state AG's office. Basically what that means is that if a customer has an issue with a company, they can file a formal complaint with her office, and if the company in question is in violation of state law, they do whatever's necessary to get the company to comply. There are a lot of legitimately crazy people out there, and the end result is a whole lot of her job involves stuff that sounds like pure STDH.

Example (and the story I thought of when I saw this post): One time she had a woman file a complaint against a garage because she was absolutely, completely, and unequivocally convinced that they had stolen her car and replaced it with an identical one. Now, this "identical" car was the same year, make, model, and color as her old car. The radio presets were all the same as hers. The driver's seat and mirrors were all set the same as her old car. But there was nothing anybody could do to convince her that it was in fact her car. Eventually I guess she just learned to live with it, because she eventually stopped calling my mom's office.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Cross-posting from the funny pictures thread: "I think I'll just print out this email my grandma sent me and turn it into a meme for some sweet, sweet internet points."

quote:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

I really, REALLY want to believe that whoever wrote that drivel knew exactly what they were doing and wrote it to be as outrageously STDH as possible, because the alternative is just too depressing.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Now I REALLY wanna know what a Relentlessly Gay yard looks like.

... I bet it looks fabulous.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

kinmik posted:

Someone tell me why it's Doctor Who stdh that's the smuggest, most self-fellating bullshit that makes its way to the forefront.

All the comments were like "You're raising her right, OP!", "Haha, take that normies! (???)", "I wish that was my niece! (:barf:)"

Dude was so pathetic he had to Photoshop a face onto a pillow for his STDH.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Minarchist posted:

Mom signs her Christmas cards and any notes she leaves me when I'm dogsitting or whatever with a crude sketch of a wire hanger

thanks, mom, I love you :ohdear:

Your mom sounds awesome.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I feel like there is a consistent pattern with the STDH type stories. Either the narrator is way more brave or bold than he likely would be, is incredibly sarcastic and/or witty, everything gets exaggerated tenfold, etc. Did I miss anything?

If you don't also include a teacher/mentor/manager/random stranger who also happens to be a Dr. Who fan or a brony, you're doing it wrong.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Rick_Hunter posted:

Hot from imgur:

Oh yes, he's SUCH a mature adult that he had to make a lovely meme and put it on imgur for sweet sweet internet cred.

:rolleyes: :jerkbag:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Jesus loving Christ, of all the things people misunderstand about the U.S. Constitution, "mah free speech!" is the one that gets up my nose the most.

The right to free speech doesn't mean you can say whatever the hell you want to wherever the hell you want to, you rear end in a top hat. It means you have the right to speak out AGAINST THE GOVERNMENT without fear that they will come after you.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Samizdata posted:

Truthfully, I think the whole, for lack of a better term, "hashtag culture" thing is, well, #BeyondRetarded and caused by #PeopleThatFollowTrendsTheyDon'tUnderstand.

Case in point:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Splicer posted:

Who is she supposed to have written the letter for? Or is the poster saying they snooped through and ripped out a page of a 10 year olds diary?

This image has appeared here before (but it's a huge-rear end thread, so who cares). As I remember it, the "backstory" on this is that some 20something special unique snowflake posted this image to her FB/blog/whatever with a note about how she found her old diary and had forgotten what a cool kid she was, or something similarly nauseating.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Rahonavis posted:

I decided to check on what our old friend Amy Lee has been up to. Now I need a strong drink and a good, long stare at the wall. Jesus...

This is my first ever encounter with this blog. So she thinks she's the Amy Lee from Evanescence, is that the deal? Mental illness is a terrible thing.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Alaois posted:

no she gave the Amy Lee from Evanescence her name to use as a stage name, also she wrote all of Evanescence's songs and also wrote or inspired every song and movie you've ever heard/seen in your life.

That explains so much.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

trickybiscuits posted:

It's a public account so no hiding the name:

On the account he said that people weren't sure whether this story was real. GEE I WONDER WHY

eta: "This means more than you can imagine."

Good god, it turns out this one was real: http://www.wral.com/news/national_world/national/video/14882921/

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Better Business Bureau. It's sort of a pre-Internet rating system for businesses. Old and/or dumb people seem to think it's some kind of regulatory body here in the U.S. though, so that's the threat they usually hurl at managers at [BUSINESS] in [TOWN]

Sorry I left out the part where your totally not made-up soon-to-be wife saw your sonic screwdriver and you two quoted Dr. Who for an hour while everybody clapped. I was in a hurry this morning.

Fun fact! All you have to do to be rated by the BBB is pay to be a member.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

They should invent something to hold trousers up, smh at you trouser scientists.

Hmmm... perhaps something that suspends from the shoulders and attaches to the waistband of the pants.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

I guess we'll have to pull a bunch of names together and have a focus group come in.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Bobby Digital posted:

I'm going to interpret this as the creator looks like a lesbian.
http://menwholooklikeoldlesbians.blogspot.com/

Zamboni Rodeo has a new favorite as of 05:06 on Sep 18, 2015

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

goose fleet posted:

And her name was.. Helen Keller Anne Sullivan.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Regardless of whether this S did or didn't H, I'm more hung up on the part where she lost 177lbs. Good for her, but how big was she when she started, that she lost that much weight and people still made "whale" jokes?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Honestly, seeing as how this supposedly took place in SC, it wouldn't surprise me if a toned-down version of this happened. Older guys in the south don't think girls can do things. My version happened at a lumber yard, where I was trying to find quarter round molding. The clerk had no idea what I was asking for and I had to show him what it was. When I went to pay for it, the old guy behind the counter gave me this grandfatherly smile and said "Are you building something today, honey?" It was probably the most condescending thing I've ever heard.

If it had been STDH, I'd have told him off about how my dad was a hardware store manager (true) and I knew my way around tools (also true), and that I had to explain to his own employee what quarter round molding is. As it was, I just paid for my molding and left. It's just the south.

Zamboni Rodeo has a new favorite as of 14:16 on Oct 17, 2015

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

OctoberBlues posted:

As an aside, apparently people in Scotland say "aye" just as much as we think they do. I was there this summer and went to a Celtic game, the guys behind me in line for tickets had the following conversation:

1: "Aye, did he really?"
2: "Aye"
1: "Aye?"
2: "Aye"

I just loved how they could basically have a whole conversation just using "aye" by slightly changing the way it was said.

Dude.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Of ALL of the fetishes the internet has shown us that this idiot decides to write his STDH about, he picks the absolute tamest one.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Nothing makes me want to have my brain impaled with a rusty, tetanus-laden railroad spike more than the "this troper" trope. I swear I can feel my intellect atrophy a little more every time I see that phrase at the beginning of a STDH.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

A whole gallery of STDH, some of which has probably been here before:

http://imgur.com/gallery/kAbrD

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Khazar-khum posted:

All Girls want is Bad Boys

quote:

For the first fews years this troper spent in America, women consistently fell for him because they -thought- his unusually large kippah was worn just to break rules, that his stoic demeanor came from angst, rather than poor english, and that, since he trained in Krav Maga, he would beat up anyone for no reason. Two years ago, when they learned that he was reluctant to fight, kept a garden and spent more time in Synagogues than in his own home, he suddenly became gay and unattractive - coincidence?

And now this is stuck in my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnFi9Zvh4Wc

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Depressio111117 posted:

Sorry to bring it back to Ben Carson, but it turns out the good doctor ended one of his many stdhs with an ol' standby.

Ben Carson posted:

something something, burnt papers, re-taking exams, Albert Einstein, something something

That class never even existed.

I can't even begin to figure out how a re-test is supposed to demonstrate a student's honesty. :psyduck:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

oldpainless posted:

And that's why you're not a doctor

:sigh:
You don't have to rub it in. Man, if only I'd gotten that scholarship to West Point.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Khazar-khum posted:

Crowning Moment of Awesome

Was the guy with the knife Ben Carson?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

goose fleet posted:

quote:

I was sitting on the window side of a double seat on the bus. A woman hopped on, and despite lots of empty seats, she sat next to me. After two stops, I couldn't handle being squashed into the side anymore, and the feel of someone else sweaty thighs touching mine was enough to prompt me to say, and I quote " Excuse me, I just need to pass through" I then sat down on the other side where their are heaps of empty seats, and the woman began to harass me. "Whats wrong with me? Is it because I'm black?" I was horrified she thought I was being racist and I immediately said no I just needed more room. She then started being hysterical and even cried. 2 other women on the bus then began comforting her, and all three shot me horrible glances for the rest of the trip, and loudly 'whispered' things like, 'what a rude cow'. It was a horrible experience, but I don't think I was in the wrong. I just didn't want to be squashed by a huge lady.

No, pretty sure you're just racist.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

MacGowans Teeth posted:

I just saw this on the STDH behind closed ovens thing, and just :catstare:

quote:

coffee talk

I realize this is STDH and quite possibly satire, but the thing that's making me rage against this nonexistent machine the most is the part about how her friend just asks her to pick up a shift at a coffee shop where she presumably is not an employee. How does said friend not get in trouble/fired for that? There is SO MUCH loving liability involved there -- I can't imagine that even the chillest, most laid-back manager/owner on the planet would allow it.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Fathis Munk posted:

Is there anything in the US that's not a drive through?

Funeral homes.

Oh, wait...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Postal Parcel posted:

Ehhh, this is a friend though. It could be a fine joke between them. "Third time's the charm eh" "Ha-ha, very funny. Call me when you can even get a girlfriend, Neckbeard"

"You're coming to the wedding, right?"
"Dude, I'm coming to all your weddings."

• Locked thread