Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

GreenMetalSun posted:

Of course it has 50,000 notes. OF COURSE IT DOES.

It's got over 100,000 now. In a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
"I work at a middle school in West Philly. I intercepted this note today."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Beware of anti-bitcoin sentiments; lost job due to bitcoin hating boss posted:

Until recently I worked as an IT admin at a medium sized insurance firm in the midwest with seven locations. The firm offers a range of products and also has a dedicated financial products salesman.

Recently I was doing some on-site maintenance on a server and adding a new ip phone at a branch office. While I was setting up the phone at a receptionists desk I happened to get into a conversation with a customer that was waiting for a meeting with the financial products guy.

Of course I mentioned during the conversation that I was into bitcoin but didn't push the topic. The customer asked me a bunch of questions about bitcoin and I told him about satoshi and how the federal reserve prints money and how inflation is destroying the dollar. I really wasn't pushing it, just rattling off a few comments while I punched in the phone settings. We also talked about college football and other normal stuff. I was just trying to be friendly.

The next day a company VP at the main office asked me why I was giving financial advice to "our clients". I was taken aback and asked what he was talking about. He said the financial products guy met with a client that was supposed to invest six figures in a fund but got cold feet after I spoke to him.

I explained the brief conversation I had with someone in the lobby but told him it was just about football and bitcoin. Right away he got really flustered and said that bitcoin was a scam and only dumb financially illiterate people buy it. I told him, as calmly as I could, that this wasn't the case and many successful CEOs own bitcoin. I also volunteered to show him some Andreas videos to help educate him on bitcoin. He just walked away from me mid-sentence.

Well last Friday which was four days after this conversation, I got fired. No explanation was given at all although I did get three months severance pay (I'll probably invest this in bitcoin as payback).

The only reason I can think I got fired is because I'm into bitcoin and my bosses didn't understand it. It's really frustrating to understand something as complicated as bitcoin but be unable to share this knowledge with others. So many people hate bitcoin without even trying to understand it. I honestly don't understand why people go out of their way to suppress bitcoin. I never bought into all of the conspiracy stuff but now I'm starting to think the existing financial system is beginning to fight back.

This is a throwaway and I won't claim any tips. I have some job leads and will come out fine if not better from this experience. I just wanted to share my story as a warning to others that not everyone has an open mind when it comes to bitcoin. There is still a lot of progress that needs to be made on the education front.

Edit: Just checked this post and noticed a lot of comments about me giving improper financial advice. In case it wasn't obvious above, I'm not a financial person I did IT work for this company. I told the client that I did IT and there shouldn't have been any confusion that I was a financial planner or anything.

Also, some people thought this was a huge client for the firm. I called a friend of mine back at the office and she told me that even though it was a six figure investment, the firm would have only made a single-digit percentage commission.

After reading some of the comments I still don't think I did anything wrong. I think the company overracted and wrongly assumed this client backed away due to bitcoin. Thanks to those of you that gave some positive feedback and advice.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Of course, his inclusion of "Le-a" completely ruins his credibility even if some of those stories might be realistic.

Also, why do people tell stories in the form of "memes," that's stupid.

• Locked thread