Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

TheObserver posted:

I'm just trying to imagine what "urban cheese" would be even made from; rat's milk?

I was trying to figure that out too. I know the US is incredibly hosed up re cheeses so maybe it is rat milk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Fathis Munk posted:

Have an intentional stdh.jpg

I think it's meant to be a response to this one, e: entitled "A baby just handed me this on my flight. I ain't mad.":

I like the one from Adolf Einstein Carl Degrasse Nye better though.

CROWS EVERYWHERE has a new favorite as of 05:03 on Dec 13, 2014

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

bringmyfishback posted:

Boy, I bet that guy ate the whole chocolate-covered pizza without even realizing that it was white chocolate and not cheese! Because those things taste SO similar!

Wait, are they pizzas or pies? :psyduck:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Noyemi K posted:

I think you're being facetious but "pie" is another way of referring to a pizza.

This must be an Americanism I've never encountered before. In Australia, this is a pizza:

And this is a pie:

I've literally never heard "pie" used to refer to a pizza. That's almost as weird as calling scones "biscuits". :psyduck:

I also agree that white chocolate on a pizza could, theoretically, be tasty. I've seen worse pizza topping combinations.

e: whoa that's a big pizza

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

oldpainless posted:

when the moon hits your eye
like a big pizza pie

I've heard the phrase "pizza pie" and always assumed it was referring to pizza pockets or something (white and round like a moon or the white of an eye, with a bit bitten out to make the iris). But hearing deep dish pizzas referred to as "pies" is weird enough, let alone referring to standard American flat pizzas as pies... It's not right, I tell you. :mad:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
In actual content (hope this hasn't already been posted): earlier this month, a lone gunman held up a cafe/chocolate shop in Sydney, Australia. I'm not sure if it made much of an impact in international news. Either way, two hostages ended up dying, and the gunman was killed. Among his demands were to have an IS flag brought to him and to talk to the Prime Minister. From what I recall he didn't actually have any real connections to IS, though they've retroactively claimed him as one of their own.

Anyway, this, in various forms popped up on quite a few people's Facebooks and in news article comments:

Yes, it's a repurposed 9/11 meme :allears: There also seem to be quite a few people whose dad's friend/cousin's fiancee/aunt's teacher did a small kindness to a Muslim gentleman who then decided to warn them of a vague event happening sometime in December or January. Needless to say many cops and other officials had to remind people that this did not, in fact, happen.

It's heartening at least that most people have been very good about this whole incident and realise it's the act of one hosed-up guy and not indicative of the Muslim community at large. :unsmith:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

That's not a pie, that's a pot pie. :eng101:

This is a pie

I think "pizza pie" was the original term, and people just dropped it over time. Maybe it was already dropped before it made it down under. I don't think its just an Americanism, but it could be.

But if you think about it, a Pizza, a Pie, and a Meat pie are all the same thing with just different "fillings". With a standard "Pie" you've got a sweet filling, but with a meat pie or a pizza pie its different. But its a big flattened circle of dough with stuff in the middle, same concept. You say "meat pie" to differentiate it from a sweet "pie", so you'd say "pizza pie" to differentiate it from a meat pie or a sweet pie.

But then 100 years go by and now people eat WAY more pizza than they do pie, so calling it "pizza pie" sounds strange. So they dropped it.

But especially in older days "pizza pie" was pretty common. I heard it a ton in NY when I was younger. And its not just deep dish pizza, its any pizza. A pizza pie!
The more you know.

sweeperbravo posted:

Yeah. You're on the phone with the pizza dude, "I'd like a large pie, half plain, half sausage" etc.

Also I somehow misread the story as it was white chocolate for a five year old, like the guy was gonna make a birthday cake for his niece or something. Ew, yeah, why would that be a thing you'd keep around?

:stare: hosed up if true.

Oh well, I guess this will be useful to know if I ever go to America. Next you'll be telling me you call chazzwazzas "bullfrogs" or some such nonsense.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Wandle Cax posted:

If you ever go to America, CROWS EVERYWHERE, what a pizza is called will be the least of your concerns.

That's true, the US is terrifying. :catstare:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

I've seen it being posted as fact on news.com.au, Australia's premier Newscorp website and renowned purveyor of STDH.txt (they were big on the three-boobs-lady back when).

I really really hope it's not true because :cry:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, those scars linked kind of don't really add up to the story. I've got much worse scars and that's just from being a kid who grew up in the country (including some sweet-rear end barbed wire scars on arms, my brother has four big lines from the same across his face). Somehow, I'd expect a Marine who survived getting a "nearly severed right leg" to be a bit more roughed up. And, uh, a bit more athletic looking.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
In addition to my sick-rear end barbed wire scars on my neck, hands, and forearm (got catapulted out of a friend's homemade five-man bicycle/go-kart contraption into the fence - my brother did the same some weeks later, twice), I also have a nice scar on the palm of my right hand from when I got an IED a rock stuck in it as a kid (I remember it taking up most of my palm and my parents trying to wash it out in the bath tub and failing to pull it out - we ended up driving 45 minutes to the nearest hospital (we lived in the country) to get it pulled out. It looks a lot smaller now of course now that I have regular sized adult hands. :(

Lots of scars on my knees and shins from being clumsy, doing lots of bike riding and wearing impractical footwear as a kid (and generally not bothering to get them looked at so I just came back home or into school and bled happily on the floor until a horrified teacher sent me to the sick bay).

One of my most recent knee scars had a better story behind it. I skinned my knee on the concrete top of a storm water drain walking home from the library (staying with my parents during the summer holidays, working in the library and looking after chooks) because as usual I was wearing shoes that look nice but have no grip. It was pretty gross and bloody and refused to stop bleeding so I actually put a whole bunch of bandaids on it for once. Eventually it was healed up enough that I let it go bandaid-less at night to let it harden up/heal by exposure to air, but then forgot to reapply bandaids the next morning before going up to release the chickens for the day. One of the chooks, Alecto, came running joyously out of her pen, then stopped suddenly... Looked at me, looked very hard at my knee, looked back at me... And then lunged, and took a chunk right out of me. (I saw her swallow something and there was blood on her beak.) There was a lot of swearing involved and for the rest of the day Alecto followed me around in her "hunting" posture.

Anyway, the rest of the wound healed up all right, but there's still a mark there where a chicken ate my flesh. :black101:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

dijon du jour posted:

So... he is the manager and he fired... himself?

I think it's just a typo.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, if they're both young white guys, that sounds pretty accurate to what goes on around the places I grew up. Cops are idiots and very willing to let you off if you let them have a turn at whatever vaguely illegal poo poo you're doing and you promise you won't do it again.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

kazil posted:

Not to defend a terrible story, but it's likely the same class all day, with the day broken up into different periods. This is how my elementary school experience was.

I was thinking that too until I reread it and it says specifically that she's a Social Studies teacher. Unless it's normal in the US for one entire day to be devoted to an entire subject? We used to have that one day a fortnight at one school I went to because it was the latest in ~*~college style~*~ teaching or something. gently caress I hated PE Line Day because I'm a goonlord.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

ajkalan posted:

According to Snopes, this is embellished but more or less shit_that_did_happen.jpg. Still very :jerkbag: tho

That actually happened? :stonk:

Starting your Military History class with a big dramatic demonstration about "Respect are soldiers dying for are freedoms!" is really loving creepy. In what kind of country is that -- oh wait, it's from Arkansas. Carry on!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

That one's bland enough that I'm willing to believe it happened.

Still no idea why they thought it'd be worth the effort uploading it to the internet.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Bobby Digital posted:

Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but from what I hear from my teacher friends this one isn't unrealistic.

Yeah, this is my experience too. You get tonnes of "But my child is an angel at home! They would never cheat/punch another kid/punch a teacher/punch a computer/punch a dog/etc" incidents, and they just get an extra level of crazy when the parents are fundies of one type or another.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Along with the old standard "I don't see why you think my grade 5 kid is reading at a grade 1 level, look at this essay they just wrote at home *produces an essay in the parent's handwriting*"

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

poo poo That Did Happen posted:

Genetically Modified Turkey
DELI | MI, USA | FOOD & DRINK, FUNNY NAMES, GEEKS RULE
Customer: “Hi, yes, could I please have a pound of mystique turkey please?”

Me: *not quite catching what they said* “I’m sorry, did you say mesquite turkey?”

Customer: “Yes, mystique turkey!”

Me: “Actually, it’s mesquite smoked turkey, Mystique is a character in X-Men.”

Customer: "Stop being a patronising b*** and get my order."

Me: "Yes [Customer's Name]."

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

:ssh: It's an edit!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

sweeperbravo posted:

Not in the quote of you, weirdly, unless I'm missing a joke here

Yeah, I'm not sure how that happened as I didn't even preview the post before posting it, much less posted the original then edited it. :confused:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I can confirm that not all Australian schools will have someone who is able to administer an EpiPen, especially poor underfunded state schools. Sauce: my mum is a teacher and isn't allowed to stab kids.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Either way, the important thing to gather from that tale is that they had to censor "the d*** phone". Two possibilities exist: either NAR is being its usual laughably over-reactive self, or the sister is actually trying to talk to her daughter's school over the dickphone.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Gridlocked posted:

This is from a long time ago, but I am sure there are people who haven't seen it.

http://imgur.com/a/2RMWQ

100% STDH

Okay, I consider it A Good Thing that I'm no longer hip with the latest 4chan slang... But why the gently caress does he keep talking about Adobe Reader? Does that mean something else now?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

bobjr posted:

Here's one of those dumb meme comics that are more popular than they should be.

I remember this from high school on 4chan (I got better). But the variations I remember she bit his dick off and it was told to an ambulance worker or something.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Luckyellow posted:

Sadly, but this could had happened. There are plenty of bureaucratic office in poor neighborhood (H.U.D., Social welfare, etc) that's filled with sticklers for the rules type of people. I've seen a mentally retarded blind woman get rejected for a reduced monthly bus pass because she couldn't present her disability ID (Which is required to be filled out with a doctor note.) Her handler had to explain it to her and walk her out :smith:

Yeah, I live in Australia and there are lots of people at Centrelink who would demand REAL proof that you're proper disabled before doing anything at all, including obvious amputees in wheelchairs. The other two are stupid but I'm pretty convinced the first one is real, sadly.

e: My uncle is in a wheelchair (polio as a babby) and quite clearly needs it, but so many people are convinced he's making it up if he tries to claim disability-related perks in person (like just at loving cafes and the like) without immediately producing a doctor's note in triplicate and medical records from the past 60 years.

CROWS EVERYWHERE has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Jul 4, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Murdering and eating a teenager, now that's bad. But what's really Satanic is forcing them to drink alcohol.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Needing more anaesthetic than a regular person is definitely possible, whether due to being a massive goonlord, or just a greater genetic tolerance to common anaesthetics (my dad has red hair and fair skin/freckles and apparently this is one of the contributing factors to why he's usually so unresponsive to most anaesthetics and is something I should look out for?). Breaking the arms off the chair, probably less likely to have actually happened.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

NESguerilla posted:

Image macros are terrible but that penguin one is some next level garbage. The source picture isn't even humorous and since my only context is this thread I can only assume it's just an outlet for the lamest humble brag possible.

If I remember my advice animals correctly, the blue penguin thing is Socially Awkward Penguin, which is for when you do stupid terrible awkward nerd things in public that absolutely need to be turned into memes. Like when the cashier at the cinema says "Enjoy your movie!" and you reply "Thanks, you too." Everyone feels much better as a person knowing that this happened to you.

The red penguin is uhhhhh I can't remember but it's when you do awesome things that AREN'T socially awkward, basically. Very rarely used except when you do half blue penguin and half red penguin, like this, where you start out doing something stupid and awkward but somehow turn it around into what I believe is called an :airquote:"Epic Win":airquote:. And yes, it's pretty much always used for humblebrags.

Advice animals and other image macros are possibly the stupidest things to ever exist. At least baby snot sucking devices exist because babies have hosed up noses and poo poo. Image macros have no reason for being.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Postal Parcel posted:

When a guy says you have 'the tightest pussy short of a 12 year old,' you need to call the police.

I've had guys who try to use this or similar on me or women around me. They think they're being quirky and zany, when in actuality they come off as... well, a paedophile.

It usually works as a great "steer well clear of this creepazoid" early warning alert.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

sweeperbravo posted:

I just don't understand the logic as a pick up tactic. Why would anyone (who wasn't a pedophile, we'll add that qualifier) want to bring 12 year olds up in any conversation regarding sex unless it was that they DIDN'T want to have it and were afraid of eventually having one.

In at least a couple of cases they were absolute nerds who had only ever been to all-boy schools, and university or a job was literally the first place they'd been where they were able to openly interact sexually with girls. So they hadn't learnt that making "jokes" about impregnating you, comparing you to a child, or "I like my coffee like I like my women - ground up and stored in the freezer" was, uhhh, not actually funny and really kind of creepy.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Sentient Data posted:

Redditor spotted

Either that or a shoe salesman in the midst of a joke, but I don't see Al Bundy around here

Just an Australian :v: We use the UK spelling here. Or at least I do.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Postal Parcel posted:

Buy Hannibal Brand Coffee

It's so fresh, you'll swear you ground up her body yourself!

Not the worst serial killer crush to come out of tumblr. (Those would be the numerous actual IRL serial killer fetishists.)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I'd believe that. I've had weird teachers who would bust that kind of question out and have had more than a few who could have got arrested for growing weed. It's kind of cool that they have a basic Nursing class in junior high school either way.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Samizdata posted:

Solidsports. Why I know this term is sad.

What in the absolute gently caress is solidsports?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Jonny Nox posted:

it's related to watersports isn't it?

:barf:

Gassports :ohdear:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Samizdata posted:

They've got it, unfortunately.

Jesus loving wept. Now I know the term for this. Thanks, loser.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
That's a little bit hosed up. Oh America! :allears:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

poo poo That Did Happen posted:

About six months ago my wife and I decided to turn our North Georgia summer retreat into our full-time residence.

We decided to make a few changes to the property now that we would be living in it year-round.

As I was getting into my car one morning, three of the workers paused from what they were doing and stared me down.

I stopped and asked if everything was ok and one of the men said, "It's not fair. You have this beautiful home and a nice car while we are stuck doing hard labor for just a little more than minimum wage."

I approached the men and I ended up speaking about building wealth to the uneducated proles for almost two whole minutes before they laughed at me and threatened to eat the rich, causing me to shamefacedly make a noble retreat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

queserasera posted:

It's STDH. Librarians never pick a social venue that doesn't serve alcohol. Perhaps the paraprofessionals do quirky hipster things. Degreed librarians drink. A lot.

Edit: ^^^^ A rich person who chooses to spend the summer in an Atlanta suburb. Ho-lee poo poo.

I'm doing my Masters of IT(LIS) right now and, yeah, librarians who have their actual degrees do a lot of drinking. I was thinking it was just the people I worked with, but it turns out it's every librarian. It helps with being a combined babysitter, council representative, psychologist, technical support officer, events planner, drunk wrangler, etc etc etc.

• Locked thread