Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!
http://www.snopes.com/fiercefemtivist-nurse-racist-parents/

"The child appeared merely as a footnote to the narrative of neatly-packaged racism, replete with a Confederate-flag wearing, stock redneck character."

Since the bulk of STDH stories seem to be about appealing to conservative social values one way or another, it was kind of refreshing to see one so obviously designed to push liberal buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!

Murphy Brownback posted:

Another one where the writer doesn't realize how awkward/unrealistic their time lengths are. Who stays silent for a solid 5 minutes during what was presumably a conversation before that point? Wouldn't he be asking if she's alright, or change the subject or something? Or were they just staring at each other silently for the whole time?

Some times when people in stdh stories use unrealistic measures of time like "a good 5 minutes" or what have you, I kind of reckon it in my head in terms of household tasks you could get done in that space of time. For this story it occurred to me that he could have said that lovely solipsism line, then she could have gotten up (in silence, cause speechless) and made 2 bags of microwave popcorn, come back and sat down again without exceeding the time frame.

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!
Anthropologist here. I think the person who wrote that may be confused about what "anthropology" is.

• Locked thread