Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I just checked to be sure and I don't see how guns that were over a hundred years old by the time the people go into the vault would be easier to procure than other stuff. Also apparently the only fallout game that even featured them was Tactics. It's such a weird choice that irrationally irritates me (and so would have seeing just about any other real world gun there) . 3 had the games' staple 10mm pistol used in that vault.

I'm not sure if that tranq pistol is a model that shows up in the games or an original or just a more obscure real gun but at least it fits the look.

There's something like it in fallout 4:

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Syringer_(Fallout_4)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

I just checked to be sure and I don't see how guns that were over a hundred years old by the time the people go into the vault would be easier to procure than other stuff. Also apparently the only fallout game that even featured them was Tactics. It's such a weird choice that irrationally irritates me (and so would have seeing just about any other real world gun there) . 3 had the games' staple 10mm pistol used in that vault.

I'm not sure if that tranq pistol is a model that shows up in the games or an original or just a more obscure real gun but at least it fits the look.

Are you suggesting Vault-Tec wouldn't cheap out on the mass-produced guns as much as possible? Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's just to keep that 50s aesthetic ongoing and nothing. You could argue that these were advanced stens with fancy parts, while keeping the old designs (or something), developed and used frequently in this world. Dunno. But a fair enough annoyance.

The tranq pistol is new. Of course it's been added to Fallout 4 in mods by now, and a patch in Fallout Shelter, but before the closest thing was a cobbled-together Dart Gun, or Syringer (edit: beaten)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
The sten gun is a weird choice, and it was an intentional choice. Someone specifically indicated that the Vault should have sten guns instead of other guns. There must be some kind of reason for it, but I don't think there's any line of dialogue or visual indicator as to what that was.

Fallout 2 had needle guns, is that the same thing as the tranq thing?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

credburn posted:

The sten gun is a weird choice, and it was an intentional choice. Someone specifically indicated that the Vault should have sten guns instead of other guns. There must be some kind of reason for it, but I don't think there's any line of dialogue or visual indicator as to what that was.

Fallout 2 had needle guns, is that the same thing as the tranq thing?

According to wikipedia:

"The Sten paired a simple design with a low production cost, facilitating mass production to meet the demand for submachine guns.

Around four million Stens in various versions were made in the 1940s, making it the second most produced submachine gun of the Second World War, after the Soviet PPSh-41. The Sten served as the basis for the Sterling submachine gun, which replaced the Sten in British service from the 1950s."

So a cheap, mass-produced gun that would be phasing out of military use and probably being sold as surplus for dirt cheap roughly around the time the series draws inspiration from for its style, seems fitting for something a company would use as it's firearm of choice.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
They are Sterlings, not Stens. Vault-Tec and friends probably had enough connections to get a bunch of what would have been a new (for the 50s), reliable SMG to stock their vaults. It also fits the time-period aesthetic of the games/show. And there's plenty of weapons in the show that fit the more futuristic style of some of the ones from the game, and not to mention there are plenty of guns in the game that are just straight-up real-world guns, even if they don't have the same names.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Yeah Fallout 2 had the grease gun in it, so robust reliable cheap SMGs have a long history in fallout.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm just mad they teased the laser pistol and rifle and never used them :argh:

Kinda the same with synths in a way.

I'll be watching season 2 though. Great show.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Detective Thompson posted:

They are Sterlings, not Stens.
Yeah okay, my bad on that one, I'll readily take the hit to my nerd cred for that.

Detective Thompson posted:

Vault-Tec and friends probably had enough connections to get a bunch of what would have been a new (for the 50s)

I understand retro aesthetics, but again, the opening scene takes place in 2077. And yes there's old real guns in the games (and modern real guns, too), but I'm taking issue with the strange decision that they made to use a recognizable ancient real gun model that has no connection to Fallout into that scene inbetween all the Fallout props.

I will keep watching though and I am looking forward to nitpicking a lot of things for either being not like the games or being like in the games but it's things that didn't make sense in the games either.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

...or being like in the games but it's things that didn't make sense in the games either.

Yeah, a lot of stuff with the guns in the games didn't make much sense either. A lot of that likely just coming from being realistic wouldn't of been much fun. Like lol, there is no loving way there is so many mint condition pre-war guns just lying around everywhere 200 years after the war and when there's roving gangs everywhere. It's just one of those things everyone politely ignores, so the game can be enjoyable to play. The show actually seems way more accurate in that regard, as I can't remember anyone just finding a gun when looking through a random box or draw or whatever.

As for those particular type of guns being around, they do seem very pre-war fallout accurate. Pre-war fallout is a mix of the 50's and weird sci-fi retro 50's future, so that kind of gun makes more sense than any real world gun from like the 60s onwards would.

dr_rat has a new favorite as of 13:10 on Apr 19, 2024

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I always thought fallout was what happens if you make incredible advances in nuclear energy, but still use vacuum tubes instead of integrated circuits.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Armacham posted:

I always thought fallout was what happens if you make incredible advances in nuclear energy, but still use vacuum tubes instead of integrated circuits.

That’s basically how it is— in-universe transistors and all the knock on technology derived from them weren’t invented until the 2000s. So vacuum tubes, magnetic reels, and the like were the norm.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

season 2 ep 3 of the expance. there are a lot of filler scenes in this one

tom jane gets fired three times, and its not a joke. there are three scenes where he gets fired, by different people and for slightly different reasons.

those scenes were not there when i saw it before, maybe 4 years ago. he was subtly let go at the bar with the empty bag (this scene is still there), now he also gets yelled at by steven strait (? the smooth young guy), and chad coleman tells him to gently caress off.

why are they making extended versions of series? they ruin the flow and make them boring and im glad i didnt pay for this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fallout has always had shitloads of guns from all over the place basically because the designers thought they looked cool. There's fancy future firearms and energy weapons including the gun from Blade Runner and some energy weapons in early games are fictional models made by real weapon manufacturers, iirc Sig-Sauer made a plasma pistol. It's absolutely got excuses to include any gun you want, and Fallout Tactics is a fun deep cut to get the Sten gun from.

New Vegas alone by the end of the DLCs has what are clearly grease guns with the 9mm SMG, a laser tommy gun, an actual tommy gun, the Bozar (which is a reference to a bugged weapon in Fallout 2 that basically ended up being a sniper machine gun), and gatling guns that fire revolver rounds and use the living brain of a dog for aiming and enemy detection.

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, a lot of stuff with the guns in the games didn't make much sense either. A lot of that likely just coming from being realistic wouldn't of been much fun. Like lol, there is no loving way there is so many mint condition pre-war guns just lying around everywhere 200 years after the war and when there's roving gangs everywhere. It's just one of those things everyone politely ignores, so the game can be enjoyable to play. The show actually seems way more accurate in that regard, as I can't remember anyone just finding a gun when looking through a random box or draw or whatever.

As for those particular type of guns being around, they do seem very pre-war fallout accurate. Pre-war fallout is a mix of the 50's and weird sci-fi retro 50's future, so that kind of gun makes more sense than any real world gun from like the 60s onwards would.

It's also actually a plot point in New Vegas that companies are able to manufacture new guns and modifications, using pre-war designs. There's even a mission based around industrial espionage sneaking into the Gun Runners workshop to steal the blueprints for another company.

There's also one unique weapon that is literally mint condition because it has been sitting in a museum for the entire time, never fired.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

is that pedro pascal? with a black halo from bad greenscreen? why why? he is in narcos at this time, maybe. not in the expanse

where can i download the broadcast version, preferably from vhs. every copy i find at my local video stores are the amazon version.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Have you checked the smoke detectors in your house recently? I don't think Pedro Pascal was ever on the Expanse.

I googled it, and apparently Amazon HD and Amazon Ultra HD are slightly different cuts of the show.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Squidster posted:

Have you checked the smoke detectors in your house recently? I don't think Pedro Pascal was ever on the Expanse.

I googled it, and apparently Amazon HD and Amazon Ultra HD are slightly different cuts of the show.

I can never trust my own memory, so I did a quick Bing search of "was Pedro Pascal in The Expanse?" and according to Copilot, "Yes, Pedro Pascal was indeed part of the sci-fi drama series “The Expanse”. He portrayed the character Oberyn Martell in the show’s fourth season" so I bet you feel stupid now.

Also, I think it's the carbon monoxide detectors Carthag should be checking. Do you see Pedro Pascal with a black halo around him in other shows, Carthag? What about when you turn off the tv? When you close your eyes?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

its a dude who looks like him with a shaved head, but that wasnt the point. whoever it was was clearly pasted in. black halo and so on

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's also one unique weapon that is literally mint condition because it has been sitting in a museum for the entire time, never fired.

Having a fully loaded and operational weapon on display in a museum is the most Fallout thing ever.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

Having a fully loaded and operational weapon on display in a museum is the most Fallout thing ever.

also demolition man

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Alhazred posted:

I decided to replay New Vegas because of the show and because I never finished it, and just ran into this yesterday.

Not going to spoil it, but this might be tied with Ghouls-on-the-moon for my favorite quest so far.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Its been a bunch of years but isn't there a dead presidents gun in the Smithsonian in fallout 3

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Carthag Tuek posted:

also demolition man

The 80s and early 90s were truly the golden age of ridiculously over the top action movies. We shall never see its like again.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The 80s and early 90s were truly the golden age of ridiculously over the top action movies. We shall never see its like again.

Dredd (2012). :colbert:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Breetai posted:

Dredd (2012). :colbert:

Dredd is subtle and understated compared to Demolition Man or Tango and Cash. Or Judge Dredd. The closest thing to big dumb 80s action movies now is the Fast and Furious franchise. In fact Hobbes and Shaw had the potential to be EXACTLY that sort of movie but it never quite commits to the bit.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

500excf type r posted:

Its been a bunch of years but isn't there a dead presidents gun in the Smithsonian in fallout 3

Lincoln's repeater, which is cool because it actually is in the Museum of American History in the real DC.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Crank (2006) :colbert:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Byzantine posted:

Lincoln's repeater, which is cool because it actually is in the Museum of American History in the real DC.

not if i can do anything about it

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

not if i can do anything about it

I didn't know Nic Cage was a goon

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

... the Bozar (which is a reference to a bugged weapon in Fallout 2 that basically ended up being a sniper machine gun)...

Ah yes, Fallout 2 where you beeline to the vendor to rob his guards of Bozars.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Out of morbid curiosity I have watched the second part of Rebel Moon, and somewhat unsurprisingly it's pretty bad. But I'll limit my bitching here to one aspect: The evil Empire's aesthetics don't work at all. Their foot soldiers are pretty much modern soldiers in fancier armor, their officers have WW2 uniforms, their special forces are space knights with light sabres, their nobles wear 19th century clothes with a dash of roman empire, their spaceships look like WW1 style battleships, they have steampunk walking tanks belching black smoke, and there are random 40k techpriests in the mix as well.

It's a grab bag of random poo poo that absolutely does not come together in the least. The only unifying thing in there is that just about everything is a bland shade of beige/brown.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Out of morbid curiosity I have watched the second part of Rebel Moon, and somewhat unsurprisingly it's pretty bad. But I'll limit my bitching here to one aspect: The evil Empire's aesthetics don't work at all. Their foot soldiers are pretty much modern soldiers in fancier armor, their officers have WW2 uniforms, their special forces are space knights with light sabres, their nobles wear 19th century clothes with a dash of roman empire,

...the high nobles are decked out in the shiniest bronze age chariots, and the imperial regalia is the finest hides and stone tools

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I know there are other non Star Wars terms that could be used, but Rebel Moon just seems like part of that universe. That is intentional, right?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SiKboy posted:

Crank (2006) :colbert:

That's one. And a good example.

The 80s and early 90s were special because there were just hundreds of them.

Perestroika posted:

Out of morbid curiosity I have watched the second part of Rebel Moon, and somewhat unsurprisingly it's pretty bad.

The only thing I really know about that movie is that they use Skyginas.

Forever lolling about space holes.

edit: Wait a second - did you say second part? They made a loving sequel?

I would have bet a testicle that the whole Rebel Moon Cinematic Universe project would have been cancelled after the first one.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 04:29 on Apr 21, 2024

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I also just watched it and my feelings from the first one carried over exactly - the only part I liked was the space priest (or whatever) costumes. Every other part was forgettable at best.

These guys:

And we got zero background on them. gently caress you, Zack Snyder.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
It's a weird tryhard mashup of Star Wars and Warhammer 40k made with apparently no understanding of why either property is compelling

Gosh it's dumb

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Rubber Chicken posted:

It's a weird tryhard mashup of Star Wars and Warhammer 40k made with apparently no understanding of why either property is compelling

Gosh it's dumb

I've only read about it, mostly on these forums, and my conclusion was that it was a Star wars/40k mashup that aspired to the world building of Chronicles of Riddick, and I'm glad I wasn't too wrong.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Has Zack Snyder ever actually made a film that you can really direct unqualified praise towards? Because looking through his filmography everything he's directed that I've seen or heard of seems to be on the level of "well it's visually spectacular/ambitious but..." at best.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I watched the first one with some teens who kinda liked it.

I tried the second one but stopped after like 10 minutes or so?

Aside from the special effects everything, especially the world building, plot and dialogue, feels really loving juvenile, and by that I don't mean written for 12 year olds, but written by 12 year olds.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Ok, I watched the second one

Goddamn every single scene has something about it that's just stupid

Like first draft, oh no wait that doesn't remotely make sense in context stupid

I did lol every time they tried for pathos and the Braveheart/gladiator music started playing because what a bunch of uninspiring caricatures.

Some of the effects are great though, no doubt, even if the action is nonsensical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Breetai posted:

Has Zack Snyder ever actually made a film that you can really direct unqualified praise towards? Because looking through his filmography everything he's directed that I've seen or heard of seems to be on the level of "well it's visually spectacular/ambitious but..." at best.

dawn of the dead owned and I’m not super convinced there could be a better cinematic adaptation of watchmen that didn’t completely ignore the themes of the source material in favor of slavishly recreating scenes shot-by-shot.

it’s kind of hilarious that he apparently forgot all of those themes to make some of the most navelgazing forced-epic cape trash ever,