Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I would have bet a testicle that the whole Rebel Moon Cinematic Universe project would have been cancelled after the first one.

I heard industry gossip that that wasn't on the cards. The whole series is getting made even if six people watch the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Rockman Reserve posted:

dawn of the dead owned and I’m not super convinced there could be a better cinematic adaptation of watchmen that didn’t completely ignore the themes of the source material in favor of slavishly recreating scenes shot-by-shot.

it’s kind of hilarious that he apparently forgot all of those themes to make some of the most navelgazing forced-epic cape trash ever,

I think he only included those themes because he was slavishly copying what was on the page.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I also just watched it and my feelings from the first one carried over exactly - the only part I liked was the space priest (or whatever) costumes. Every other part was forgettable at best.

These guys:

And we got zero background on them. gently caress you, Zack Snyder.

Their background is "Zack Snyder watched Star Wars Episode One and liked the costumes".

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The only thing I really know about that movie is that they use Skyginas.

Forever lolling about space holes.

The funniest thing is that the Spacegina ends up being one of the few things that are actually interesting about it. In the second part there's a glimpse of what powers the ship: A giant metal statue of a woman held in bondage, tangles of wires running into and out of her brain and mouth, with some kind of consciousness imprisoned inside it.

And that's pretty cool! There's some kind of actual vision there. But those moments last a total of maybe 10 seconds, and literally nothing else in the movie even tries to swing for the fences in the same way. It's like they had exactly one concept artist who even tried doing something cool, but they were constantly drowned out by uninteresting slop so generic it may as well have been AI generated.

Rubber Chicken posted:

I did lol every time they tried for pathos and the Braveheart/gladiator music started playing because what a bunch of uninspiring caricatures.

That aspect was downright embarrassing. Like the movie knew it had no real emotional impact, so it just tried to brute force it through cinematography. Extremely overwrought scenes of pretty things in slow motion while the most on-the-nose rousing music plays, like the movie is getting in your face and screaming "This is very dramatic and evocative! You are now emotionally invested!!!"

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Cowslips Warren posted:

I know there are other non Star Wars terms that could be used, but Rebel Moon just seems like part of that universe. That is intentional, right?
Supposedly it was pitched as a star war but disney told him to gently caress off.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pilchenstein posted:

Supposedly it was pitched as a star war but disney told him to gently caress off.

It's weird hearing about disney making a smart decision.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Torquemada posted:

I heard industry gossip that that wasn't on the cards. The whole series is getting made even if six people watch the last one.

This sounds like things are going to get epic in the best possible way.

Perestroika posted:

The funniest thing is that the Spacegina ends up being one of the few things that are actually interesting about it. In the second part there's a glimpse of what powers the ship: A giant metal statue of a woman held in bondage, tangles of wires running into and out of her brain and mouth, with some kind of consciousness imprisoned inside it.

And that's pretty cool! There's some kind of actual vision there. But those moments last a total of maybe 10 seconds, and literally nothing else in the movie even tries to swing for the fences in the same way. It's like they had exactly one concept artist who even tried doing something cool, but they were constantly drowned out by uninteresting slop so generic it may as well have been AI generated.

That is a cool as gently caress visual, no lie.

I just feel like the movie(s!) were made after Snyder had a box of random art dropped on his desk and he madlibbed them into a plot.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

dr_rat posted:

It's weird hearing about disney making a smart decision.

I assume the pitch was "it's a star war but they say gently caress and there's blood everywhere" which even the most concussed Disney exec would say "nah, we're good" to.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
One the one hand relaxing that rule would give us so much tryhard edgelord bullshit but on the other Fiona Shaw would've been allowed to say "gently caress the empire" in Andor, so it's impossible to say if it's good or bad.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Pilchenstein posted:

One the one hand relaxing that rule would give us so much tryhard edgelord bullshit but on the other Fiona Shaw would've been allowed to say "gently caress the empire" in Andor, so it's impossible to say if it's good or bad.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That guy was such an amazing flunky. A+ brownshirt wannabe. The sort of person who still uses Rhodesia instead of Zimbabwe. Well, the Star Wars equivalent.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That guy was such an amazing flunky. A+ brownshirt wannabe. The sort of person who still uses Rhodesia instead of Zimbabwe. Well, the Star Wars equivalent.

The sideburns is what really does this. You just can't have sideburns like that and be a sympathetic character.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

The sideburns is what really does this. You just can't have sideburns like that and be a sympathetic character.

it makes me wonder about casting for the "disposable fiancé/spouse" in all the romcoms. like, do you cast your main person first, and then have all those people act out scenes with them, and the one who has the worst chemistry gets the role?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
There's a scene in Civil War where an Apache comes down way too close to the street, way too close to the surrounding buildings, and fires its weapons at a target that's way too close. And when it fires its chain gun, it's got the rate of fire of a minigun. And you can't even say okay, it's a civil war, they might have improvised a minigun under the chin instead of the standard armament because what's clearly shown on the thing is the normal chain gun.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Phanatic posted:

There's a scene in Civil War where an Apache comes down way too close to the street, way too close to the surrounding buildings, and fires its weapons at a target that's way too close. And when it fires its chain gun, it's got the rate of fire of a minigun. And you can't even say okay, it's a civil war, they might have improvised a minigun under the chin instead of the standard armament because what's clearly shown on the thing is the normal chain gun.

Isn't that right out of the tactical manual?

I've sure seen plenty of fighter jets perform strafing runs against Godzilla that bring them within swatting range.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Phanatic posted:

That scene was badass in Dolby though if you don't care about that stuff

The chopper sound right "over" the audience was top tier sound mixing

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Cowslips Warren posted:

it makes me wonder about casting for the "disposable fiancé/spouse" in all the romcoms. like, do you cast your main person first, and then have all those people act out scenes with them, and the one who has the worst chemistry gets the role?

Furthermore, is there some b- or c-list actor who has ended up typecast as "dickish partner", with the occasional "dickish middle manager" role?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wasn't Piece Brosnan the villainous fiance in something? Weirdly enough it works. Have them be an rear end in a top hat but entertainingly so.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Arrath posted:

Isn't that right out of the tactical manual?

I've sure seen plenty of fighter jets perform strafing runs against Godzilla that bring them within swatting range.

drat near every kaiju movie want to recreate the famous Kong on the empire state building scene in 1933.

It works if your special effects are very limited and the stat of the art fighter aircraft are biplanes with fixed machine guns. Not so much in 2024.

But movie makers are going to continue doing it until the end of time, I suppose.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't Piece Brosnan the villainous fiance in something? Weirdly enough it works. Have them be an rear end in a top hat but entertainingly so.

Timothy Dalton was amazing as the villain in Hot Fuzz. An incredibly charming bastard.

But, no, not a romantic foil in that one, lol.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Don't Talk to Strangers, a TV movie from 1994, is a hell of a deep cut.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mrs. Doubtfire

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Leave posted:

Mrs. Doubtfire

That's it, I was gonna say, but it almost felt too obvious. Also maybe not a straight example given how it ends.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, the Fiance often isn't even a bad guy, he's just who the audience roots against by virtue of not being the main character. Liar Liar also does this with the rival being the sweetest guy in the universe, it's just that because he doesn't have Jim Carrey's manic energy he can't sell the banter with the child so he has to go.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Oh, so I found a more obscure Brosnan role where he's the villainous ex-fiancé

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

People like Brosnan who are effortlessly charming in general work really well as the villanous fiance just because of audience expectations, I think.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Timothy Dalton was amazing as the villain in Hot Fuzz. An incredibly charming bastard.

I bloody love Dalton in that. The man knows that you sell comedy by playing it entirely straight, and while he's playing it BIG he never quite hits scenery chewing levels of excess.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

People like Brosnan who are effortlessly charming in general work really well as the villanous fiance just because of audience expectations, I think.

This is something I really love in The Tailor of Panama. Brosnan goes from Bond to full Archer and it's fantastic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A Worrying Warlock posted:

This is something I really love in The Tailor of Panama. Brosnan goes from Bond to full Archer and it's fantastic.

The thing is with Archer is that he's barely a parody.

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, the Fiance often isn't even a bad guy, he's just who the audience roots against by virtue of not being the main character. Liar Liar also does this with the rival being the sweetest guy in the universe, it's just that because he doesn't have Jim Carrey's manic energy he can't sell the banter with the child so he has to go.

Yeah, a lot of the better romcoms/designated love interest stories at least knew what they were doing and rolled with it. Not nearly so common these days (I think Mrs Doubtfire mighta set up the subversion with the ending that Robin Williams had to throw his weight around to get) but back when that was obligatory some movies knew how to make it funny, and there's entire genres of comedy about huge assholes who happen to be funny for a reason.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The thing is with Archer is that he's barely a parody.

Yeah, Archer is Bond with no attempt to make him likable. He's an alcoholic misogynist who just happens to be very good at the parts of his job that stop him from getting killed.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, Archer is Bond with no attempt to make him likable. He's an alcoholic misogynist who just happens to be very good at the parts of his job that stop him from getting killed.

If anything, he's more likeable because Archer actually has to interact with his co-workers...and he has a Pam. Everyone needs a Pam.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

You can't give Archer credit for Pam

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Archer's incompetence directly led to Pam being given a shot as an agent.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

No, that was Nick Frost.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Just because Pierce Brosnan came up I need to throw out the eternally overlooked film The Matador with Greg Kinnear. Pierce Brosnan crushes it and that is a drat fun movie.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fil5000 posted:

I bloody love Dalton in that. The man knows that you sell comedy by playing it entirely straight, and while he's playing it BIG he never quite hits scenery chewing levels of excess.

Wish there were more Timothy Dalton as hammy bad guy roles, he was one of the highlights of The Rocketeer for that too

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

TGG posted:

Just because Pierce Brosnan came up I need to throw out the eternally overlooked film The Matador with Greg Kinnear. Pierce Brosnan crushes it and that is a drat fun movie.

I love this movie. It's a perfect shot at the spy thriller genre.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Phy posted:

Wish there were more Timothy Dalton as hammy bad guy roles, he was one of the highlights of The Rocketeer for that too
Doom Patrol. He wasn't explicitly a villain but he was a terrible person.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

TGG posted:

Irrationally irritating movie moment: every mention of Greg Kinnear immediately makes me think of this king

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There's never enough Ray Gillette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

BioEnchanted posted:

Check out The Baxter, by the same guy who directed The Big Sick. Our hero is the inoffensively boring schlub who got left at the altar at the end of every other romantic comedy.