Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
It killed a lot of my interest pretty early. I get it's irrational-ish and not the point of the movies, but when you have Magneto drop a stadium on the White House and rip the Presidential nuclear bunker out of the building in 1973, picking up in 1983 and claiming the entire world is exactly the same, didn't even delay the release of Star Wars just felt like..why bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Hey, at the end of the first X-Men prequels (First Class?) it ends with Xavier standing up, and we're all like WHOA WHAT THE gently caress and then... the next movie wasn't a prequel and I lost track. Did it explain what's going on there? Why was he able to do that at the end of the film? Or, haha, was I missing something super obvious and explained?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It's explained, it's because he's started injecting some formula that gives him back mobility at the cost of dulling his psychic powers. Something like that, anyway. In the next of the prequel ones, where that's explained, he's convinced to stop taking it, probably by Hank iirc

stringless has a new favorite as of 06:00 on Mar 29, 2024

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Grendels Dad posted:

Since it was discussed a few pages ago how Beast from the X-Men comics was at best an irresponsible asshat always bordering on supervilliany, I rewatched X-Men: Days of Future Past and it's kinda perfect that he is basically an enabler to Charles Xavier's drug addiction. Just full on "He's lost too much, here I have prepared an extra dose because you missed the last one" while doing sad "He's such a wreck, right" looks at everyone else.

My IIMM is that this movie is fantastic on so many levels, from acting to production design to pacing and writing and what have you, and nothing got followed up on in the sequel. I haven't even seen the Phoenix movie but/because X-Men: Apocalypse just throws away everything DoFP builds as a foundation, it wastes all the actors and it looks like Wonder Woman 84 before Wonder Woman 84 was a thing. A catastrophic drop in quality all around that I can't wrap my head around.

That kinda sucks. If you have a character that looks like a monster, but is actually very smart and civilized, in a show all about judging people for their looks and innate traits it seems like a misstep to make that guy an rear end in a top hat.

"You shouldn't judge people! Oh that guy who looks like a monster? Yeah he's totally a monster. Inside and out."

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cowslips Warren posted:

i just wanna see Quicksilver zipping around saving people set to cool 80's or 90's music. even update it through 2024 as he ages and keeps saving people from random poo poo.

Yep. Would watch a series of like fifty shorts that was just that. I'm a sucker for a speedster.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Quicksilver will never reach the heights of CGI baby in microwave.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Push El Burrito posted:

So what exactly was in that infamous scene? Haven't watched the film and definitely don't want to, but I have garnered through cultural osmosis that there's something really fucky with that scene?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Push El Burrito posted:

Gotta admit, I had fun watching the opening action sequence of The Flash.

My IIMM is that Ezra Miller ended up being a real nutjob IRL so it actually affected watching that movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Gotta admit, I had fun watching the opening action sequence of The Flash.

My IIMM is that Ezra Miller ended up being a real nutjob IRL so it actually affected watching that movie.

It was lol because the movie got delayed so much it came out long after Ezra Miller was a known nutjob, abuser, apparent cult leader, probably groomer, nepo baby, and possible boss fight in Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth irl.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Breetai posted:

So what exactly was in that infamous scene? Haven't watched the film and definitely don't want to, but I have garnered through cultural osmosis that there's something really fucky with that scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFGQJxpkPg4

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
wow thats stupid as gently caress and a whole bunch of bad cgi.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

What in the actual goddamn hell.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lmfao what in the world

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PhazonLink posted:

wow thats stupid as gently caress and a whole bunch of bad cgi.

Sadly Ezra Miller is not CGI. You got the rest right though.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cowslips Warren posted:

i just wanna see Quicksilver zipping around saving people set to cool 80's or 90's music. even update it through 2024 as he ages and keeps saving people from random poo poo.

We have Quicksilver zipping around saving people at home.

Quicksilver zipping around saving people at home:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
That poo poo's indistinguishable from parody.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Breetai posted:

That poo poo's indistinguishable from parody.

When he dove for the vending machine I had to check that it wasn't an ad for hostess fruit pies or whatever the DC equivalent was.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ah, but see, this is what you wanted, this is real superheroes who smile and save the day, not horrible grimdark Snyder that they saved you from.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hel posted:

When he dove for the vending machine I had to check that it wasn't an ad for hostess fruit pies or whatever the DC equivalent was.

you want vending machine ad placement? Hoo boy does Madame Web have just the thing for you

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The weird fisheye shots of their face are somehow the worst part.

I don’t want Ezra Miller to perceive me.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Ezra Miller is already behind you

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

And here I thought the worst scene would have been “Hey, look at all the dead people we totally got permission to recreate with horrible CG”

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I know the Flash TV show went downhill pretty sharply after season 2 but it still tickles me that they already had an actor who'd played the Flash for years, who was charming and likeable and knew how to do it, and still easily young enough, and just went 'no let's find the most terrible dickhead possible and use them instead'.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
As terrible as it is to give Disney any credit, the contracts they got their acting talents to include doing shows (on Disney+) at least kept things consistent.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Literally every single aspect of that scene is completely godawful, what the gently caress.

Imagine being a VFX artist with your name associated with producing that.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

That kinda sucks. If you have a character that looks like a monster, but is actually very smart and civilized, in a show all about judging people for their looks and innate traits it seems like a misstep to make that guy an rear end in a top hat.

"You shouldn't judge people! Oh that guy who looks like a monster? Yeah he's totally a monster. Inside and out."

there's a comic montage i keep seeing online of the Croc, I believe, going to job interviews and no one hires him. dude, anyone would want to loving hire him! Make him head of your returns or complaints, make him the guard at the bank, make him loss prevention, no one is stealing poo poo if he is there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I thought Ezra Miller's just running was terrible. Worst looking floppy form I've ever seen.

That scene with the babies is on another level of terrible I didn't even know existed.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ah, but see, this is what you wanted, this is real superheroes who smile and save the day, not horrible grimdark Snyder that they saved you from.

They can both be bad.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Jen heir rick posted:

They can both be bad.

Sorry, if one thing is bad that means the other thing is good

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so just a general IIMM about supa speed in visual mediums. everything is in "bullet time" but then there's some shots of things suddenly going faster even in bullet slowmo time. its like the Highschool of the Dead boob sniper thing.

like the scalpels suddenly rotating to point to the baby. the chem bottle unscrewing and pouring its contents onto baby, the oxygen tank flame burning the baby(actually this ones fine because chemical reactions "move" fast, but whatever). things arbitrary speed up to show danger / "coolness." this is why its just easier to just freeze everything and then do a cut back to everything saved. but I guess they wanted to one up the Quicksilver scene and failed

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Zero_Grade posted:

Literally every single aspect of that scene is completely godawful, what the gently caress.

Imagine being a VFX artist with your name associated with producing that.

VFX provided by Alan Smithee Studios.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Byzantine posted:

It killed a lot of my interest pretty early. I get it's irrational-ish and not the point of the movies, but when you have Magneto drop a stadium on the White House and rip the Presidential nuclear bunker out of the building in 1973, picking up in 1983 and claiming the entire world is exactly the same, didn't even delay the release of Star Wars just felt like..why bother.

Yeah, as much as I like Days of Future Past, you have to completely sort of forget the whole plan was "stop Mystique from murdering Trask cause that will kick-start mutant hate."

Because, call me crazy, but all the insane poo poo Magneto did is, to the PUBLIC, far worse than a single murder. Obviously the movie has to follow "PG-13 logic" and Magneto stealing Sentinels, the stadium, crashing it, etc.. somehow caused no deaths...but the United States public wouldn't give two flying shits. Just because Magneto heard a little heartwarming speech and decided, at the last second, to NOT murder the president doesn't erase the MASSIVE spectacle and display of his powers from the public eye.

The "future" timeline of that movie would have been ten times worse for mutants than at the start of the film.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, as much as I like Days of Future Past, you have to completely sort of forget the whole plan was "stop Mystique from murdering Trask cause that will kick-start mutant hate."

It's also because she gets caught after the murder and the experiments on her allow humans to develop the adaptability that would make the Sentinels so dangerous. The joke of the 1970's Sentinels is that they are flashy in a way Dick Nixon would like, but they are ultimately useless against someone like Magneto.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I forgotten the movie intro, but is the bad timeline bad only for mutants or did "normal" humans also get effed too because humans are the ultimate source of mutants and therefore the AI went Law Zero/Paperclip?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DrBouvenstein posted:

Because, call me crazy, but all the insane poo poo Magneto did is, to the PUBLIC, far worse than a single murder. Obviously the movie has to follow "PG-13 logic" and Magneto stealing Sentinels, the stadium, crashing it, etc.. somehow caused no deaths...but the United States public wouldn't give two flying shits. Just because Magneto heard a little heartwarming speech and decided, at the last second, to NOT murder the president doesn't erase the MASSIVE spectacle and display of his powers from the public eye.

The "future" timeline of that movie would have been ten times worse for mutants than at the start of the film.

Really they should have been trying to help Mystique get away with murdering Trask, help her cover it up so no one knew a mutant did it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

PhazonLink posted:

I forgotten the movie intro, but is the bad timeline bad only for mutants or did "normal" humans also get effed too because humans are the ultimate source of mutants and therefore the AI went Law Zero/Paperclip?

Yeah, it's something like the Sentinels keep adapting until they can detect people who will have mutant children, then people who will have mutant grandchildren, and so on until all of humanity counts.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, it's something like the Sentinels keep adapting until they can detect people who will have mutant children, then people who will have mutant grandchildren, and so on until all of humanity counts.

Also, most of humanity tries to help the mutants but at that point the Sentinels just gently caress everyone up.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

I thought The Flash just ran really fast but he does all sorts of wacky poo poo with physics, all around him? Every one of those babies and that nurse has insides that are soup after being jerked around like that at such high speeds.

also: this guy's face in that mask looks so dorky. Dorky in a way that none of the other superhero masks look.

credburn has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Mar 29, 2024

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the loving gas canister :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

credburn posted:

I thought The Flash just ran really fast but he does all sorts of wacky poo poo with physics, all around him? Every one of those babies and that nurse has insides that are soup after being jerked around like that at such high speeds.

The Flash has the Speedforce, which is basically an excuse for anything involving his super speed ignoring physics and also lets him do a lot of other dumb poo poo.

I have no idea why he’s powering up with snacks though, last time I saw anything Flash related that wasn’t a thing.