Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

kinmik posted:

In Desolation of Smaug, why was Thorin totally willing to leave Bofur behind in Laketown? "He overslept, leave him. We can afford it." No you loving can't! You'd think he'd want every able-bodied dwarf with him in the mountain, looking for the keyhole and whatnot.

I thought it was more they were on a time table and had no idea how long it would take to get to the entrance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

KoB posted:

The "falling out" was Magneto being arrested for assassinating the Kennedy. If Magneto didnt come back trying to kill her they probably would have made up.

But nothing really makes sense so its probably just some weird alternate timeline/retcon poo poo because who cares.

I saw it that when she was captuired and tortured she fully realized Magneto was right and after she escaped rescued him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

I still think they should have used Magik in there, maybe. Her character already has time travel powers and teleportation powers, too.

There is a strange look from Bobby to Kitty in the film. A rumor I seem to have heard was that Rogue's character was supposed to have died in a prison break scene in the film that was cut.

I sort of wonder if the thing was that Rogue by the events of post-X3 gets her powers back and eventually gets an ability to not only steal powers but give them to people, too. (Sort of like the guy from Misfits.) If film was originally supposed to have featured Rogue and killed her off, I wonder if they'd planned to show Rogue pulling a reverse of her powers as a dying act to give the new ones to Kitty along with a snippet of her personality in the process. It sort of explains Bobby's glance and Kitty's new powers and how Singer's comments of cutting the Rogue scenes for pacing/time but thinking them important enough to film anyway.

A major subplot in Last Stand was Kitty and Bobby having a sort of relationship, and Rogue being jealous. We also know that she got her powers back since the cure does not work permanently.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Pneub posted:

They only sent her brain back because she was the only one that Prof. X hadn't trained to fight off psychic attacks in the past yet, it didn't have anything to do with her powers. They probably would've sent someone else if they could get away with it.

They also had a choice of wolverine, storm, colossus, Franklin Richards, or kitty

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's not the shark, it's Roy Scheider's wife.

But to be fair, she wasn't there, either.

Jaws: The Revenge is just one giant shithole of a movie.

We have to somehow accept that the shark in this movie is perhaps a descendant of the one from the first and/or second Jaws, so that it can hold a "grudge" against the family of the man who killed it's mom an/or dad. And also, it can somehow "sense" the members of the family.

And then how dose the shark travel nearly as fast as a plane to get to Florida from New England? How does it even know to go there in the first place?!

Why doesn't the family just never go back into the loving ocean? Why does the shark roar like a lion crossed with Godzilla?

Why does it loving explode after being rammed by a piece of wood?

Its all explained in the novelization of the movie - The shark may be acting under the influence of a vengeful voodoo witch doctor.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You also forgot how the fist kill in Revenge it seems like the shark set it up so he could lure Dead Meat Brody out to the dock. What an awful movie.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jay 2K Winger posted:

IIRC, Neville himself wasn't actually in the house at the time. Neville's parents were Aurors-- basically the Ministry of Magic's Dark Wizard Hunters-- and fairly well-known ones at that. The Longbottoms' torture didn't happen the same time as Voldemort going to kill Harry, it happened afterward, before all the Death Eaters went to ground. The Death Eaters tortured Neville's folks because they could, as one last "gently caress you" to the Ministry of Magic.

EDIT: Neville I think was in the care of his grandmother, and his parents had been out hunting Death Eaters and got caught.

They were torturing them to find out where Voldemort was. They did not know about the prophecy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Slim Killington posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy was excellent but there's a scene in which two characters get stuck floating out in space and it's terrible. I can't even imagine how an entire team of people thought an audience would just suspend that much disbelief, and even then, it's so poorly done and awkward that we cringed for its entire duration. I can't believe it made it off the development table.

Aliens

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I mean, people like Tarantino and Sorkin do this too, but they don't write retarded nerd poo poo like Kevin Smith so people actually like it.

What do you call the Superman speech in Kill Bill?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Morpheus posted:

So much for spider-hyphen-sense I guess.

Does not apply to bricks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The reason that Marvel become back was due to the shared universe concept. That there would be panels in Spider-man that had Thor flying by. At Marvel there were crossovers almost from the beginning. You also had the little boxes saying this happened in issue _ of ___. It was completely different than DC.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I can't stand they have her save the teacher. What bullshit.

You mean like in the book in which she survives?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Section 9 posted:

You're not really wrong, but 1 and 3 were very different from 2 (and the later ones were all very different from 1-3.) I won't nerd out about details because this isn't the thread for it. But yeah, they did get a lot of the mythology of Silent Hill wrong in the movie, but when is the last time you saw a movie based on a franchise with a small nerd fan base that was absolutely faithful to the source material and was successful?

Sin city

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

12 Monkeys didn't mess around with changing timelines or anything at least. They come out right at the start and say "the virus happened and there's no way to undo it, all we can do is gather info so we can maybe fix things going forward."

Then it turned out that what happened always happened.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

What's more is that sending Cole back didn't turn out to be the epidemic's triggering factor after all. Things would have happened just the same without him. It's a rare time travel story that not only is upfront with "you can't change the past" but actually goes through with it as well. And, of course, when Cole does start getting the idea that he could make a change, it's his death warrant.

There is also the simple fact that Cole always saw himself die. He also was the cause for the phone call that made everyone think that the group did it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dr_Amazing posted:

In Winter Soldier, Captain America has a small drive with vital information on it. He decides the best place to hide it is in full view in a vending machine in a room he knows enemy agents are sure to go into. And that's assuming some random person doesn't see it and try to buy it for a dollar.

I saw it as he had no choice but to do that. He knew he could not carry it with him so he placed it in the nearest place that had some security.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dr_Amazing posted:

He could have at least put it on top or under the machine. At least it's a little less likely a random nurse will buy it.

Also at the very end the bad guys are rushing to get the doomsday device going and everything is all ready. They get the order to fire, and still have to do a little 3 second count down first.

A janitor could have gotten it. He also shoved it behind a bunch of gum, and he went back for it like an hour later. I thought it was first the ships being launched, then the algorithm to load, and finally they could kill everyone.

bobkatt013 has a new favorite as of 17:01 on Sep 17, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I also saw it as Burke is at his wits end and trying anything to get an alien. She is really not that smart. Its also obvious that Waland-Yutani is not that smart.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Al this Alien talk is making me want to rewatch the complete series. Thank you thread.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

50 Foot Ant posted:

Godzilla 98 got us a revenge eye-loving with Ang Lee's The Hulk.

I blame Broderick.

He would have been a bigger threat to Godzilla if he was just driving a car.

You do know the original movie had very little Godzilla and it was mostly about the scientists?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

sulphix posted:

Oh you can gently caress yourself right now good sir.

So, I was rewatching the X-Men movies yesterday, and I forgot how much the progression of the first two depend on coincidence. For example, how did Sabretooth know where to find Wolverine in the beginning at the truck ambush (X-Men)? How did Magneto know to look for Rogue on the train (X-Men)? And how did Magneto find just where their jet would crash (X-2)? Still enjoy the movies well enough, just forgot how many "well, I guess it's convenient these two happen to be right where their powers are needed".

Also, watching the first Hobbit movie now, and there is something in the beginning that annoys me to no end. In the prologue, during the dragon attack on the mountain, Thorin spots the dragon and tells people to sound the alarm. Only problem, is his demeanor during these few seconds give the impression that a dragon is no big deal, like he was sounding the alarm for lightning storms or something "Oh, it's just a dragon". I'm no expert, but aren't dragons basically fantasy nuclear bombs? Seems like he'd be more concerned. He does become more concerned in a few seconds, once the fires start.

Sabertooth was not looking for Wolverine he was looking for Rogue. He helped build Cerebro I just assumed he a small one.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

sulphix posted:

And it was about a billion times more interesting than the Alien sequels about aliens.

You seriously think Prometheus is more interesting and a better movie than Aliens?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Byzantine posted:

G-98 isn't better than 2014, but they average out to be pretty close. '98 doesn't have the pure awesome scenes 2014's Godzilla does, but it also doesn't flounder about with kids\families\Deep Human Drama\OHNOADOGISINPERIL

Instead it flounders with Matthew Brodrick's stupid romance and other "human" drama but done in a lovely lovely way.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Then the family drama with Godzilla's kids

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Trailers can never be misleading
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SvqEIKP4t8

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tiggum posted:

This reminds me of the TV series Rome. I couldn't watch more than one episode of that just because of how wrong it was (and I'm hardly an expert, so the stuff I noticed was pretty egregious). And that period of Roman history has so much going on that would make for great TV, you don't need to make these massive and arbitrary changes.

What where the things as they did have historical advisers on the show? They might have changed some things but that was just the nature of a tv show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Like I said, I only watched the first episode and I'm not an expert, but the biggest stuff that jumped out at me was Octavian being in it at all at that stage and his mother being just completely wrong in every way.

The incident in the first episode was based off a historical event it just took place in a later campaign. He could also have visited Caesar when he was in gaul. Historically we know nothing about his mother, and they decided to combine her with a couple of other characters.

bobkatt013 has a new favorite as of 06:41 on Sep 30, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

theironjef posted:

Just the Sisko, whose dedication to a 500 year old sport is incredible. I love that the rules of baseball survived an apocalypse,a cultural dead period, and a eugenics war unchanged. Or maybe they didn't and he's just a weird 20th century purist (who am I kidding, every major character is a weird 20th century afficionado, even the aliens and the robots).

Kim did not what wheels are.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Trent posted:

Stupid as it may be, it was an explained plot point that Soong intentionally made Data "roboty" and autistic. He cannot say contractions because he was made that way. Not understanding idioms is like the unrealistic skin and eyes - Soong could do all those things, and did, just not with Data.

Don't get me started with B4.

The robot that can do all those things was evil. That gets me to one of many problems I had with Nemesis. Why did they put B4 together? The last time they did that the result was Lore and he wanted to kill everyone.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dr_Amazing posted:

More complaining about star trek. No one ever wear any sort of protective equipment. Just those spandex suits. Beaming into an unknown ship: no space suit. A ship they know is on fire: no protection or air source. No armor or even a helmet when they're going into a fight.

Not true

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cage posted:

I cant think of any movies specifically, and its not done all that much anymore but I hate, hate sped up footage to make something look faster than it is. Like a car chase.

Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooy4VtKCVNo

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dr Scoofles posted:

I watched one of the 300 films the other, day. The one with Eva Green in it. I became irrationally irritated by Greeks who would constantly and dramatically remove their helmets in the midst of battle. Never mind historial realism (because that would be dumb as gently caress to even try) but several times during that film we're treated to drawn out slow mo scenes of swords and arrows glancing off of helmets. The film is telling us how super important helmets are in the 300 universe and yet every five minutes the protagonist tears his off so he can glower at some distant enemy. I'm pretty sure in one scene he puts his helmet on, jumps into battle and pulls it off again all within the space of a few minutes. Why even bother putting it on?

I think I'm watching Pompeii later this weekend. As a fan of Roman history who has taken several courses on Pompeii I'm really looking forward to picking the corn out of that particular turd.

The movie also had the secret weapon be a horse in a navel battle. Its stupidly ridiculous like everything else in that film.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Something that bugs me about the 300 sequel is that in the first movie there was the whole thing about Leonidas and crew proving that Xerxes wasn't actually a god and was just a normal guy. Then in the sequel there's a whole scene where you learn that no, Xerxes isn't just some normal guy considering he bathed in a magic pool of water that made him gigantic.

I thought that was all propaganda by the greeks side making him larger than life. It was shown that Ava Green was the real power behind the crown, and he was just her puppet.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shai-Hulud posted:

DC just can't handle how loving dumb comic books are and desperately tries to be gritty and realistic. I'm really curious how far they are taking this. Will someone finally get his arm ripped off like in every DC comic in the last year?
How will they grit up Wonder Woman? Does the golden lasso decapitate everyone and the invisible plane carry Amazonian nukes?

The made all the amazons in to rapists and baby killers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Aleph Null posted:

:stonklol:
I looked up New 52 Wonder Woman on wikipedia and you aren't even joking.

Funny enough other than that its the best Wonder Women run they have had in years.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Later on Detective Lance knows that Canary is his daughter, is dating Oliver and talks to Arrow and Canary several times in full light with the hood up and the small mask AND STILL CAN'T PIECE IT TOGETHER. Hell, even Laurel gets within six inches of Canary's face and can't tell it's her sister. The Lance family is inhabited of exclusively retarded people. No wonder the mom left when she got the chance.

They hint he knows but just does not admit it. It the same as Jim Gordon.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah Donal Logue is the only reason I'm still watching Gotham. Also I am irrationally irritated that they made the murder of the Waynes into a big conspiracy that they have to solve rather than a random street crime. It just fucks up the mythology.

They sort of hinted the League of Assassins was behind it in Batman Begins, as Ra says something along the lines that the Waynes were ruining their plans.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lamprey Cannon posted:

In Batman Returns, the Penguin implants a device on the underside of the Batmobile that allows him to control it remotely. So, Batman is trapped inside while Penguin's on his joyride, figures out that there's something on the car that shouldn't be there, then punches through the floor of the car in order to get to it. This is the Batmobile. It is bulletproof, crash-proof, explosion-proof, but you can just bash your way through the floor like it's an ancient rusty pickup truck?

Its the goddamn Batman!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

By the lack of Batman saying "okay, you're right, we'll have to think of something else, it's gonna be much harder but we'll find something." When it comes down to it, going too far saves the day.

It was more we have no other choice then to use this now, and then I will blow it up since it can be easily abused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

The show on the other hand literally would not survive if it weren't the only big-budget "no frills" zombie apocalypse show on TV.

Yes that's the only reason why its the highest rated show on cable.