Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
One thing that was dumb as hell in those Hobbit flicks is that they once again used the stupid eagles that confused and irritated audiences in the last Rings movie. So once more, why didn't they just use the dumbass eagles to fly to their destination?

Because the idiot eagles are fully sapient and can speak and reason. In the Hobbit, the eagles didn't want to risk their eagle buddies helping Bilbo and his band of smelly dwarves, and they presumably would have just eaten Frodo and stolen the ring in LOTR.

There is no way for movie goers to know that without reading the insufferable books. With all the bloat of the new films, why did they cut that part and reintroduce a huge plot hole from a decade ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Razorwired posted:

The Eagles stay out of human territory as much as possible because men have a tendency to flip out and shoot at them. They're also capricious dicks and only help Gandalf because they're bros with Radagast.
Yessir, but there is no way for audiences to know that crap from seeing the films. There's never any indication that the birds are anything more than big dumb animals, so the characters seem stupid for not using them more.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

IMJack posted:

He got an invite to M. Bison's Final Boss Gym.
Magneto powers would be awesome at the gym. You could push yourself way harder if you could use your stupid powers to spot yourself whenever you were failing.

Also you could increase the hindrance on the weights used by nerds and ruin their motivation by convincing them they cannot lift 25 pounds. You'd win every lift competition and earn all the sweaty muscle-man pussy to which you are entitled.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its pretty dumb but i wasted many years of my childhood loving it and now this knowledge is still in my brain
Well whose fault is that?

It's mine. I used the force to manipulate you into reading stupid poo poo for Baby Einstein dropouts.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Screaming Idiot posted:

I can never hate the Nolan movies because they somehow made audiences laugh at a terrorist blowing up a hospital. I can even overlook the not-so-subtle conservative praise in the movies.

Which leads me to my own irritating movie thing: The Nolan Batman flicks are just huge, sloppy blowjobs to the conservative mindset. "OH NO! TERRORIST IS OUT AND ABOUT! BETTER SPY ON THE ENTIRE CITY TO FIND HIM!" "OH NO! THOSE DIRTY BROWNS FILTHY POORS TERRORISTS HAVE TAKEN OVER THE CITY! BETTER ESTABLISH ORDER REALLY QUICK!"
Nolan's Batman films obviously took inspiration from real life events and controversies, but there really is not a consistent or coherent partisan message to take from them. You can tit-for-tat bits and pieces that can be interpreted as conservative or liberal.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Van Dis posted:

IIMM: screenwriters so bad at their jobs that, unable to figure out how to move the plot forward, give a single but pivotal line to an extra, who promptly disappears.

In the first Nolan Batman, at Bruce Wayne's fancy party, a late-middle-aged woman comes up to a distracted Bruce Wayne and says, "Now Bruce, there's someone you just have to meet! [mystery man's back is turned] Now am I pronouncing this right? Mr. Ra's al Ghul?" And then she wanders out of frame. That's it. That's her contribution. Are we supposed to believe she's in on Ra's's plan?? gently caress you, Christopher Nolan! I know you okayed that!
Maybe she was just being a bro after Ra's al Ghul told her he was trying to hook up with Bruce but was to nervous to approach him.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Parks and Rec has a lot of lines and even episodes about how fat the people and children of Pawnee are, but whenever there is a big town event, all the attendants are remarkably trim.

Gotta fatten up your actors, buddy. Breaking my immersion.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

John Big Booty posted:

Maybe not so much.
A lot of people interpret much of Frank Miller's work as satire. Love him or hate him, it is very clear based on interviews and his catalogue as a whole that absolutely none of it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked Iron Man 2, but I guess I have a high tolerance for bad movies. I liked the moments with the villain working on his drones, they did well to humanize him. Just loved him with his Dreadlocks tied back into a ponytail with a screwdriver in his mouth and a tiny pair of reading glasses. :3:

Also though it was neat the way he reacted to the bird. Any other movie with that archetype would likely have had him kill the new bird out of a show of force, because it wasn't his bird, but he bonded with it and found himself liking the lil' guy just as much as his original bird. He was a dull character overall but he had moments that I liked.

Literally everything you liked about Iron Man 2's villain was forced into the movie by Mickey Rourke (the actor playing him dingus). The birds, the hair, the tattoos and teeth and his more human scenes - all of it. That's how bad the script was; it contained absolutely none of that. Imagine that character with none of those elements and that was what it was going to be, there but for the grace of Rourke.