Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

This might be a more realistic looking Spider-Man costume, but I doubt you could convince Marvel/Sony to go with that in their 150 million dollar blockbusters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUcktiQxC9Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Lead Psychiatry posted:

This is pretty much every Vietnam flick. Napalm making huge, football field length rows of fire from a few 8' long cylinders being dropped. Instead of the roughly few dozen feet at best glob of fire.

New Godzilla flick: Motus being able to sniff out the small amount of radioactive material in an ICBM but completely ignore the few aircraft carriers and dozen submarines (Which all have nuclear reactors these days) in the Pacific on their way from Japan to the West Coast U.S.

Also I find it amazing that not a single San Franciscan or Marine needs to cover their ears when a giant pissed off lizard stands over them and roars.

One did attack a sub. Maybe they just learned that it was too much effort to go through that

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

bucketybuck posted:

I just assumed its like one of the many quirks humans have, like closing your eyes when trying to listen intently, turning the music down when trying find a certain street while driving, or tilting the joypad when playing a racing game.

Maybe the manipulation of metal is helped by a small gesture to focus your mind. Who knows, but if I was flying along like Magneto I'd probably put my hands out like that too.

Plus, I think it would just be boring, visually, if every shot of him doing things is just him standing static.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Squalitude posted:

Hacking was lampooned wonderfully in the last Transformers movie, with Dutch (played by THE GUY FROM FIREFLY!) remarking how difficult 128 bit encryption is to crack... but not for him! One click and he's broken through. Not even an attempt at an explanation, and that's why it worked so well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMIHNiR3CP8

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

I watched transformers 3 recently because I guess I hate myself.
It could have been so loving awesome. It's got loving robots from space invading earth and occupying cities. It got other loving robots from space fighting back, it's got fighter jets and big guns and every loving thing you need for a great dumb action movie.
And Michael Bay somehow fucks it up in so many ways. There's blatant sexism, an incredible amount of racism, the desperate attempt to turn loving Shia LaBeouf into an action heroand every character is some kind of wacky stereotype.
It's also has the biggest Mary Sue I've ever seen. Seriously, this guy saved the world twice already but boohoo no one wants to give him a job and he lost his supermodel girlfriend and that's so terrible except for of course he finds a job but it's a low level job so boohoo. Except at the end his boss pretty much wants to suck his cock because he's so super awesome and friends with a transformer. And of course he's got another supermodel girlfriend except this time she's blonde, British, even worse at acting and also pays his bills. Which wouldn't really be necessary because his parents are super rich because when you are writing a gigantic wank fantasy you might as well go all out.
The only good thing about this gigantic turd of a movie is that the next one can't possibly be any worse just because it has neither Megan fox nor Shia LaBeouf in it.
Oh who am I kidding...Michael Bay will find a way...

I've said it before, but the core problem on the Transformer films is the Bay and the screenwriters were completely incapable of understanding that the Autobots and Decepticons are, at their core, people. Gigantic, metal, alien people, but people nonetheless, and should have been treated by the story as such.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

In the very first Punisher movie (the one with Dolph Lundgren), why the gently caress didn't they do the single most simple, visually defining element of the character and do the god damned skull logo?

They felt it was "too comic book-y". Also, the film makers didn't want to use it in the Thomas Jane version, which is why they switched from the solid skull in the teaser trailer to the faded one in the movie. The film makers of Punisher: War Zone didn't want to use it either, which is why it's even more faded. And I'm pretty sure the Netflix series didn't want to use it either.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Well that's weird, if it turns out to be true, since they changed their mind so hard they engineered a bizarre series of murders that lead to it getting made on his shirt in blood in DareDevil. And when they eventually did make the Punisher series they happily put that on his body armor when it was relevant.

It was seen as Divine Punishment for the sin of queerdom and impossible to be contracted by Good and Pure hetro men and women.

It's not the skull they objected to, it's the idea of this guy running the city with a big white skull on his chest.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Slime posted:

Just have him leave the skull symbol as a calling card. That way you include it without having him run around with a big SHOOT HERE symbol at his centre of mass.

And now we're back to the Lundgren film, where he'd leave a knife with a skull on it (usually in someone's body)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

I was hoping Marvel would announce the cancellation of all the upcoming movies now missing major protagonists, if nothing else but to mess with people

Comic books fans: "How can you do a Venom movie without Spider-Man?"

Marvel: :smug:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Batman v Superman

Clark: "Wow, this Gotham Bat character is a real nasty piece of work. I think even my newspaper should be covering it."

Superman encountering Batman for the first time on the docks: "You better stop" Flies away.

Why didn't he just swoop down, grab him, and drop him off at the nearest police station? And don't say kryptonite. Supes could've had him before Bats even knew what was happening.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't read the Thrawn trilogy in about 15 years. I don't know if they're actually good or if it's just because I liked it when I was 11. :(

They are not good.

Thrawn is basic Arrow's Diaz in the Star Wars Universe.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

They sort of cover this more in the extended cut, where he's doing a story on Batman without Perry's permission.

Basically he's just like "He's done some good but he's getting people killed, he's gotta stop" and it's not like supes has the moral high ground.

The last thing that movie need was more footage

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

True, but the editing literally took out like 80% of Cavill acting like Clark and actually advancing the plot. He actually gets reasons for doing poo poo and figuring out other things, and they explain stuff like why he didn't see the bomb in the dudes chair.

On the other hand I don't know why they still think supes had something to do with the African warlords camp being destroyed by gunfire. They did make a point to burn the bodies so it looks like he heat visioned em all but that's not gonna magically clear up bullet wounds.

Should've gotten a better editor. Or stop hiring David Goyer to write.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Imagined posted:

'
A guy who thinks Martian Manhunter is lame should definitely never be allowed within 10 miles of a DC movie.

I can't think of anything else to say other than I'm speechless.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Tunicate posted:

a few silly particuulars aside they aren't that bad, and those are mostly things that'd be changed in converting to film anyway

You'd hope. You can't say for sure that they'd drop "Can look at a culture's artwork and immediately know what their military strategy would be" thing. And those Force bubble lizards(?) could be the new Porgs!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

And DC couldn't even wait until another film before hinting that Superman was still alive at the end of BvS

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I still don't get motherfucking Cyborg showing up the last DC crapfest. You're a Teen Titan, fucker, you don't come without the other cooler Titans!

And always, why was the Green Lantern was Ryan Reynolds, everyone I knew wanted the one from the animated series. "WTF why is the Green Lantern some white dude?"

Every ten years or so, DC tries to push Cyborg as one of the big guns of the DC universe, but no one buys it, and he ends up going back to the Titans

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I've never read a Star Wars book so I was aware of Thrawn only in a vague sense, but he's in Rebels and fairly interesting.

They took out all the stupid poo poo from the books, so yeah.

Like the reason you never saw him in the movies is because even the Emperor was afraid of his genius, so he transferred him to some far out post so he wouldn't be a threat. He was basically "Mary Sue, but a villain."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The Bloop posted:

He was extremely competent bordering on lol in Rebels, but with a galaxy to recruit from it's not too shocking that an everything wonk could rise to the rank of Grand Admiral

That was the other thing. Remember how all the Admirals were human in the OT? In the EU it was because the Empire is extremely racist, but Thrawn was just so great that he still managed to rise to the ranks of Grand Admiral.

He also kept pet lizards that could "create bubbles" in the Force on his ships so Vader couldn't kill him. MY GOD ISN'T HE JUST THE MOST AMAZING EVER!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Luke Cage is bulletproof. Everyone in universe knows he is bulletproof. It is his signature power and it's caught on video numerous times. So why do people keep shooting at him and then being shocked when he just walks up and breaks their guns?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmzEFcBf52o&t=0m25s

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Possibly meant to be showing how the media portrays the Prawns and District 9 vs the actual reality.

Except it randomly goes back to the found footage bits throughout the movie.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Back to the Future.

Not the story or anything, just the bad compositing during the time machine test which leads to Marty standing in a trail of fire.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Was there ever a show done in that faux-documentary style where they acknowledged the "film crew" at all, or one of them reacts to something happening or something?

Reno 911!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I just watched some british horror movie called Ghost Stories. Every time a writer wants to pull the lamest twist in the book (he was in a coma the whole time) they should be fired and barred from writing professionally ever again. What a waste of time.

People getting information via dream sequence. Batman v Superman does this, and it's pointless too. Batman's already decided to kill Superman, but then he has a dream/vision of Superman taking over the world, and is like "Now I REALLY have to kill him." Dude, it's a loving dream.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

It's still the dumb idea of "I had a dream, it MUST be telling me something. It must be REAL, because I dreamed it!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dream Sequences/Visions are still an infuriating way to convey information. It's also lazy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The only movie that used dreams effectively was the nightmare on elm street movies. Every other one is just a lame excuse for exposition and/or a jump scare.

Yeah, if the movie is specifically about dreams, (Elm St, Inception, Dreamscape) then their use is fine. Using it as an info dump is poor writing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

And Terry Crews finding out that he ended up playing just a dead body at the Terminator: Salvation premiere

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/why_you_shouldnt_ask_terr

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

It's not something ABOUT a movie, but drat do I hate the sound of an alarm clock going off in a film or TV show, since it's ALWAYS the same type of alarm I have.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I'm tired the recent trend of when during an action scene, dirt, blood, debris, etc "platters against the camera lens.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

No but you see, directors grew up seeing Braveheart where they had that part when he said "HOOOOOOOLD!" and it was exciting, so every movie battle needs a part like that even if it makes zero tactical sense. (In Braveheart it made sense because of a special setup)

Its just another case of Hollywood in-breeding where movies start doing "movie things" even though they don't make sense to the plot.

Army of Darkness did it first :colbert:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

They're not mutants in the MCU, they are in the FOX Universe, and Magneto is their father there

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Lambs posted:

Not related to any specific movie, but I pisses me off when some rear end in a top hat orders food somewhere then runs off without even having a single bite. It happens ALL the time.
Hell they don't even seem to pay for the stuff either.

The best was on Brooklyn-99. Jake and Gina are at the bar, and Jake has to run off in an emergency. Gina says "Aren'y you forgetting something?" Jake comes back, looking EXTREMELY confused, so he lightly kisses her on the forehead before running off. Gina then screams "I meant pay your bill!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Hobbits don't go on adventures, this is established.

The innkeeper had a room of Hobbit sized beds.

What kind of freaky poo poo was going on there? Was that inn the place for Hobbit booty calls?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

No, it's quite clear that the inn is the site of massive, MASSIVE, Hobbit orgies.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I'll cross post this here since I'm not sure why it bugs me I didn't pick up for YEARS that in Batman 89, Nicholson's Joker appearing without the white face was actually the character's makeup and not the other way around. Not even sure when I finally picked up on the fact that he was applying flesh colored makeup over his bleached skin and I bet I'm not alone since I don't remember the film clearly showing Napier doing this although I bet it did.

It's irrational because I was too stupid to realize it.

After he electrocutes the mobster, he starts wiping at his forehead, and the flesh color comes off revealing the white skin beneath

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I haven't read the books but it seems to have maintained a pretty consistent level of stupid since season 1.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise; the books are stupid too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that was an obvious missed opportunity. Everybody came away being like 'that unnamed stormtrooper was kinda cool' but he didn't even have a name so gently caress.

But that also doesn't really make sense. They apparently train some or most of their stormtroopers in how to fight jedi specifically with lightsabers by using these stun sticks, even though the jedi are basically non-existent now? And meanwhile in the older days of having serious jedi nobody thought to have a stun stick thingy?

I guess you could say the stun sticks weren't meant for jedi, that stormtrooper just improvised a melee weapon and made it work, but that just seems equally implausible.

Gen Grevious' Magna Guards had stun sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

I'm convinced that Lucas just has a really good poker face, and knows how bad all his poo poo is. He just stopped caring forever ago when the OT toy money came rolling in.

All you need to know about Lucas' sense of humor:

Only registered members can see post attachments!