Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

CJacobs posted:

But it's not just movies, you can post about other forms of visual media too. Here is a post of mine that talks about the worst stock sound in television:

What am I supposed to be hearing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

IMJack posted:

He got an invite to M. Bison's Final Boss Gym.

Explains the quads.

For you, the day Bison approved your membership was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Leg day.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Depends on what you call a "great movie:"

I Know What We Did Last Summer Camp

The Unbearable Lightness of Being in Love With a Kid

Earth Tweens Are Easy

Brokeback Mountain Elementary School

American Beauty

christ there is no way i'm beating "bridge over the river kawaii"

Fine, I'll beat it. 8 1/2.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Those are my stats.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Falukorv posted:

Also the anachronistic stereotypes became extra glaring for that reason. I'll name one: the roadtripping protagonist couple have to pretend they're married when they need to stay at a BnB because the lady owner is a catholic fundie. Like any owner of a BnB in recession Ireland is going to turn away tourist couples who aren't married.

Not Ireland but there was a British B&B owner who refused to rent to a gay couple for religious reasons a few years back.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Action Tortoise posted:

Watch The Last Stand. There's a terrorist outdriving all the cops in this sweet sportscar that only one dude in the FBI knows about and he goes to great lengths to explain all the car's features and why it's so good at schooling cops.

What are the features? I do not want to watch what looks like a really bad movie.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Action Tortoise posted:

Despite what I posted, there's a cool fight scene at the end. Give it a shot.

Let me put it this way: I'm not going to spend money to watch this movie period. Spoil away.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

It also wasn't actually product placement because they called it something other than OnStar.

It was northstar which was also probably coincidentally used in a seinfeld episode I think though I like to think they are both concurrent in their own universe.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Does this count as a meltdown?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Celery Face posted:

It also kinda weirded me out how all the female characters were strippers, hookers or just walked around in their underwear. The one exception doesn't even speak, you only learn about her through slightly creepy monologues about "sweet little deadly Miho."

To be fair to a guy who really doesn't deserve it:

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Well, Frank Miller's kind of a creep.

Noir-ish stuff really isn't what you would consider a bastion of progressive thought.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Professor X is loving lame anyways. Oh boo hoo I can hear voices and it's so sad waaah.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

CJacobs posted:

I like that they basically never show the dog and/or other animals dying because it'd be ~too sad~. Whenever there is carnage everywhere, if there is an animal on screen, the safest place for any human to be is within a three foot radius of the drat thing.

This was the most bitched about scene in The Toxic Avenger by the way. Not the kid's head getting popped under a car wheel. When they shoot the seeing eye dog.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Jedi has best space battle, best land battle, best lightsaber fight. It is the best of the ot. Also lolling at nerds bitching about ewoks. Oh god, this entire galaxy full of weird poo poo wait what the gently caress is that teddy bear my immersssssioon nooooo.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He should make his suit out of spidersilk and it'd explain how he can stick to poo poo plus would be durable.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Man I watched 12 monkeys the other night because of this thread and that was a depressing rear end movie thanks a lot you jerks.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

You're in the desert, you see a turtle on its back, it's belly baking in the sun.... but you don't help it turn over. Why aren't you helping?

Remember if he gets this wrong it's not considered rape.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

My Lovely Horse posted:

I started watching Fringe the other day and there's an episode where they make a cure for something that has to be injected directly into the bloodstream. Through circumstances it ends up that the victim has to inject herself while under great distress and it goes from "inject it in the neck veins" to "ram it in the general vicinity of your neck." Although I suppose Fringe being what it is it's not particularly surprising.

You don't even want to know what it was a cure for.

If it was for your posting, modern medicine was probably ill equipped.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sorry I and the others made you watch 12 Monkeys :(

It was actually pretty good. Visually awesome but that's Gilliam anyways.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
50 foot ant is your ptsd acting up again?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh my god. He's actually having a nuclear meltdown.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Also I don't buy for one minute that they used the word cocksucker in the 1870s.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Facehuggers hug faces. Chestbursters burst out of chests.

I guess I'm a chesthugger.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

made of bees posted:

the best movie CPR was in John Carpenter's The Thing

Best defibrillator scene easy.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
All I want is a movie with Navy SEALs and trained raptors killing Osama Bin Laden is that so much to loving ask.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

syscall girl posted:

Yeah. And the Aliens vs. Predator 4 player preceded the movie by a decade or so.

That and maybe some Metal Slug flavors are really all I would need cabinet wise if I did a home arcade thing. And Area 51. And Sunset Riders.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nostradingus posted:

My irrational movie irritation is when people take the word of their funny review mans as gospel. I can't have a decent conversation about the Star Wars prequels (lol) without someone bringing up Red Letter Media's unfunny garbage "review" or, worse, just quoting it outright.

RLM is better as entertainment than as legit criticism but they're far funnier than anything you've ever posted.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

CJacobs posted:

I am reminded of Max Payne, the video game, not the movie. It does happen in the movie too sort of but it's hardly well-executed because the movie is horsegarbage. Max goes on a rampage and kills a bajillion and a half mobsters, blows his cover as a cop, and assassinates the head of a very powerful and prominent corporation by blowing up her helicopter with a rocket launcher and a sniper rifle. He manages to clear his name for the crime he was originally framed for (in the beginning of the story he is set up by the mobsters as an informant for them who killed his own partner even though neither of those things are true) and he avenges the death of his wife and child as well as blowing a drug conspiracy within the aforementioned company wide open... but he killed a bajillion and a half mobsters and assassinated the head of a very powerful and prominent corporation. He gets arrested and is absolutely certain he'll go to jail, but thanks to a contact of his pulling the strings behind the police, he is released and put back on the squad by the second game.

Kinda like real life.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Tiggum posted:

And yet it's still way better than Sherlock. :shrug:

And yet it's really not. :shrug:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

kizudarake posted:

That was a special tour, dude. His grandkids, and the fuckers he hopes will say "this is loving awesome, open it right away!" And his d-bag lawyer who wants them to say "shut it down before you get sued! It's too dangerous!"

That bloodsucking lawyer was on his side dude.

Also,

kinmik posted:

I...

That big red report button was callin' to me, man.

Goddammit. :golfclap:

What sort of poo poo-tard would report someone over that? Goddamn dude.

Frostwerks has a new favorite as of 11:34 on Jan 23, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Inzombiac posted:

Uhh.
He says that and then Nightcrawler breaks in but is brainwashed and under Stryker's control. It's setting up the fear and then artificially confirming it.

I'm irrationally irritated that people don't realize that the Nightcrawler attack was the start of the movie.

Frostwerks has a new favorite as of 00:06 on Feb 14, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Because everyone who could run, jump and swim away are American now.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Aleph Null posted:

Especially his relationship with Mina once he figures out why he doesn't frighten her.

What's that.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

PaleInkedBoy posted:

I'm watching the 2006 movie version of Desperation by Stephen King because I clearly have nothing better to do with my time and it irrationally irritates me that when a cougar is in the middle of attacking a man they use the stock RAWRAWWWRAWR cougar sound while it's clearly still biting him. What, it just stopped to yell around a mouthful?

Um.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

The biggest issue with Mandain is that he is yellow peril personified.

Uh, he did say aliens.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Creature posted:

Most public (government run) schools in Australia have houses as well, as far as I know. But they're mostly just a way of splitting the school up evenly for sports days and similar activities. At my school it was primarily used by the teachers to decide who was on bin duty. :(

I know it's a minor annoyance, but I always start yelling at the screen during movies when characters are driving and talking to whoever's in the passenger seat. Eyes on the road, dipshits. You're gonna get hit by a bus if you maintain constant eye contact with your friend while in the middle of a busy highway.

Bin duty? Does Australia seriously not hire wise negro janitors

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm just saying. Nothing says ownership like making a black person work a lovely job.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't get me wrong, I totally buy that you can get super addicted to nicotine and you feel awful without it.

But even if you're jonesing really hard for a cig, its just like "aw yeah there it is." Its more about relieving those bad feelings than anything, right? I don't think you're like, having an orgasm when you light up, which is the fetishistic take on smoking that some movies seem to have. Maybe I'm overthinking it. Thread does say irrational though!

Although in general it seems that movies massively overplay the effects of drugs. I guess its part cliche (lots of popular drug movies) and part just lazy or something. I imagine part of it is just ignorance and people growing up in DARE programs learning that all drugs are like heroin and get you addicted and make you hallucinate.

I guess now we're getting into a new irritating movie moment for me: When a character is supposed to be drunk or on drugs and they totally do not act like they are drunk or on drugs but instead act either really sober or on all the drugs.

I feel like cocaine in particular is massively overrated in films, probably by people who have never taken it? I guess that's more of a rational movie irritation though.

As for irrational, am I the only one who thinks Wolf of Wall Street was really juvenile and pointless? Scorsese is supposed to be this gigantic director, but he seems to be a teenage boy at heart. After Goodfellas he's just been kinda remaking Goodfellas over and over and over.

And at least Goodfellas had some great drama and characters and tension. Wolf of Wall Street was just like "hey lets take drugs and party with Leo: The Movie"

If you don't like Scorsese, you're a dumb gently caress motherfucker.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Anosmoman posted:

Why would it matter to them if the labelling was correct? When I dispose of bodies in drums of acid I just slap a random "danger" sticker on it to discourage people from opening it. If they do open it to test the contents they'll notice the sticker is wrong no matter what the sticker is because the government don't issue any hydrofluoric acid + corpse stickers.

I slap a sticker that says carcass on it and people just think I'm joking.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ignite Memories posted:

Thank you for once-and-for-all convincing me I don't need to watch True Detective.

Irrationally irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'd have preferred a more noticeable burning the dude. It wasn't until someone pointed it out to me that I was like OH YEA, there IS a guy there!

I don't think I ever noticed it to be honest.