Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Action Tortoise posted:

Spider-Man man movies,

Where the hell does Peter get his outfit?

Same for the newer films. Even Electro is in boxers for the early parts of his appearance and then a scene later he's got a jumpsuit with a lightning bolt on his arm.

From forever ago but I read the whole thread and hadn't seen this addressed:

I hear this complaint a LOT but it's really covered in ASM. They loving show him buying spandex and surfer stuff off the internet. There's an entire montage/scene dedicated to it where he silkscreens the web pattern on it and everything. It's always baffled me how people miss that.

For the Raimi films it's a legitimate bitch but for ASM it's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I post this in every "irrational movie moments' thread, but in Terminator 2, they explicitly establish that the resistance keeps dogs around in order to scope out and alert them to terminators. 'Wolfie' even barks when John calls home. Yet, when Arnie and Linda arrive at the weapons camp, there are dogs all over the place and none of them bark or react to Arnold at all.

edit:

Action Tortoise posted:

I remember the silkscreening scene but forgot the part where he orders stuff online. It's not how he gets his materials that get me, it's just how his suits look so well made for a kid just scraping together cash. But I guess that says a lot about Peter's character to make the most with what he's got.

It's there and, for some reason, always gets my goat when people bitch about it because for once it's explicitly shown and, having built my own Spider-Man suit once for Halloween, I realize how tough it is to do. I didn't think the suite looked all that great in ASM 1. ASM2 is a different story because that poo poo looked sweet.

In the Raimi movies, he just magically goes from yard sale/wrestling costume to form fitting spandex with raised webbing inlays and custom inlaid lenses with no explanation at all but in ASM he hodge-podges it together form surfer, skater, skier, swimmer and jogger websites.

It's one of several things I liked about ASM over the Raimi trilogy and I'm always surprised when people miss that specific scene dealing with precisely that issue.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Aug 7, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Cage posted:

Thats in the future, though. Isnt it? In the movie its the present, and the only resistance fighter is Kyle Reese, no? Wolfie was probably barking because its two owners just got killed and are lying dead on the floor.

I don't know. In Terminator, Kyle freaks out when he hears a dog barking while they're at the motel and tells Sarah that it's some sort of alarm bell to warn them of terminators so at the very least, he believes that dogs can sense them.

Keep in mind I'm in no way trying to be rational, I don't care if it's a plot hole and I love the Terminator movies so whatever.

Gordon Shumway posted:

Dogs in the past still sense terminators, the one at the motel in the first movie sniffed out Arnie and the barking tipped off Reese, if I remember correctly.

You remember correctly. That's what I meant.

syscall girl posted:

I think they meant the scene in old Mexico. With the huey on blocks and the underground weapons cache?

They already switched Arnie's soul from on to off. The only reason he can't cry at that point is because Skynet didn't install any tear ducts. :roboluv:

Exactly what I was referring to. There were dogs everywhere and none of them barked at Arnold. Like I said, I don't give a poo poo, but I remembered wondering why the dogs didn't bark at him even at the time I saw it in the theater. And I was peaking on acid at the time.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 23:29 on Aug 7, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I hate how in Rocky, after going out their way to do the middle rounds as a montage, they supposedly show the final round in real time yet that poo poo is over in something like a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5-s4abeoak

It's still one of my all time favorite films but, gently caress. If you're going break away from the montage and do a dramatic three minute final round, at least make it last 3 actual minutes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Is it irrational to be annoyed that he gets away with some rapey poo poo? Even as a child who had not even heard about social justice warriors I never liked that first "date" she's forced to endure, Rocky just getting way up in her space just keeps pressing on until she gives in. It's pretty lovely.

Disclaimer in case some cannot understand that a person can like a film and still disagree with given characters and how their scenes play out.

Late, but I've seen Rocky probably 50 times and never read that scene that way, although I get why some people do and have heard it proffered before. To me, it was a scene about two awkward misfits who were uncomfortable in their own skin and didn't know much about love. Seemed to me, Adrien was overcoming her fear of feeling ugly, never being loved, being abused and shamed by her alcoholic brother and scared about her virginity.

Rocky was just a big, soft-hearted palooka who didn't know any other way. He broke thumbs and punched people in the face for a living but still felt bad about it. Adrien was a mousy, abused, shamed, fearful, battered and repressed caretaker who never had a chance to blossom or live any sort of life because of Paulie (note how she blows up at him later in the film when he tries to shame her for having sex).

I always found that scene tender in its own way given the context and the nature of the characters. It was awkward bit not "rapey" to me, since the characters are established as awkward misfits.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I like Nolan's movies. Am I not cool now?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Synonamess Botch posted:

It's really stupid that all these comic book guys are in the same universe, and it's disappointing that the movies are headed in the same direction

I dislike fun things too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Celery Face posted:

Bad accents:

Jon Voight in Anaconda and Pacino in Scarface.

swamp waste posted:

Have you read superhero comics? They're really absurdly bad and dumb;

Sure I do. Not as much as I used to. A lot of them are bad and a lot of them aren't. This guy said it better than I can.

CJacobs posted:

Comic book nerds are the very first people to say "hold on, that doesn't make sense" in a world where people can fly and shoot lasers from their eyes and smash buildings with their faces or whatever.

Sometimes the shared universe seems hokey and forced. Dumb even. Other times it works fine (Luke Cage, Iron Fist & Daredevil, for instance). I've never been a big fan of the Superman/Batman team ups but the shared universe of Ultimate Spiderman came off pretty well I thought. At least for a while. Avengers does a pretty good job with it as well. When I was a kid, I loved the 'Thing vs. Hulk' crossovers.

I think it depends on who's sharing time with whom. Like Daredevil shouldn't go into outer space and fight Galactus any more than the Fantastic Four should hunt down the Kingpin and rough up Turk and Grotto in Rosie's Bar.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Celery Face posted:

I didn't even know he was trying to put on a Cuban accent until someone told me.

You watched that film and didn't know Tony Montana was supposed to be from Cuba?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

And The Untouchables was badass and not silly at all, you kids these days :corsair:

It's as if were being irrationally irritated. Connery's death scene was pretty over the top and my least favorite part of the film. Costner owns though. He gets a bad wrap for being sort of milquetoast and un-hip but he's a good actor.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I think Frozen will be pretty well forgotten by most people in ten years until Neo-Tumblr posts some "ONLY KIDS BORN IN THE '10s WILL GET THIS" and they all fall over themselves trying to establish who is the biggest fan despite none of them having seen it in at least five years.

Jesus Christ i hope so. I hate that loving movie and my kid wants to watch it every god damned day.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

mng posted:

Loudness

Post those graphs for Nolan's Batman trilogy. I swear to God, I've never had to reach for the volume remote so much in my god damned life. The music and sound effects shatter my teeth while I can barely hear the dialogue at all.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ok. I have a few. I was watching Superman 2 yesterday for the first time in a long while. I remembered it being cheesy but still liking it. Jesus Christ is this thing a piece of poo poo. Lex and Ms. Tessmacher escape in a from prison in a helium balloon. They're caught doing it. So no one within 50 miles is on the lookout for a hot air balloon or can spot one.

Later, Lex, still in his prison garb, has somehow guided the balloon to the Antarctic because he knows where Superman's Fortress of Solitude is. It has to be loving FREEZING up there, especially in the loving SKY, but here's Lex with his bald head and still in his prison skivvies floating around with his half naked bitch, not freezing at all, not hungry or anything and with obviously no one looking for him.

Christ.

Earlier, a little kid falls off the ledge of Niagra Falls and, honest to god, it must take him 45 seconds to even begin to reach the bottom. I'm not entirely sure how gravity works but I know a bit.

Then later we get Superman cellophane logo superpower out of nowhere. Movie loving sucks. I love Chris Reeve in the role and a lot of other things about it stylistically but gently caress if this movie hasn't aged badly.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

My physics teacher in high school actually had us watch that scene and calculate how long Niagra Falls would have to be for it to take that long. He was a cool guy.

But really the old superman movies are from a different era, when comics were just plain goofier and you didn't have to justify squat.

I'm from that era. :corsair:

As a child that movie was pure magic. Superman 1 was also and Christopher Reeves is still fantastic. But man are they hard to take now and it makes me sad. Almost irrationally irritated in some ways. Your physics teacher was awesome too, by the way. How long (deep) would Niagra Falls have to have been? What was the answer?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

The Silent Hill movie is quite remarkable in that everybody on the technical end of the movie- art, lighting, costuming, special effects, cinematography, sound work- did a top-grade job full of accuracy and love for the series, but it turns out that isn't enough to save a movie from a crappy script, workmanlike direction and unenthusiastic acting. :sigh:

Although my favorite part about the movie is that Rose is essentially a video-game protagonist, and Cybil treats her like you would a video game protagonist, i.e. a dangerous idiot-savant who will do dumb things for no readily explicable reason that will nonetheless turn out to be crucially useful later on.

They were too faithful to the games in that sense, including leaving in the parts where the plot make no loving sense. They nailed the atmosphere and look of it but also nailed the nonsensical story. After I saw it I realized it would have been just as well to watch someone play Silent Hill for 2 hours.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Frostwerks posted:

It was actually pretty good. Visually awesome but that's Gilliam anyways.

Yeah. Seconding this. What's wrong with 12 Monkeys? I mean beside there not being 13 monkeys.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Thanks for sparing me the temptation to watch the new Godzilla.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

What's so hard about making a decent Godzilla, Hulk, Transformers film or even a decent Alien or Terminator sequel or a new RoboCop movie? These things practically write themselves they're so god damned simple, especially Godzilla and Hulk. Why is this tricky? Showing Hulk smashing and Godzilla wrecking poo poo should be remarkably easy. One is "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde with a dash of Frankenstein" and the other is "Giant Monster Fucks Up Cities; gently caress! Run! Someone Kill It!"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

mng posted:

As much as CGI has improved over the years there are still some things that it just can't do right, especially fluids it seems. The Thing, Terminator 1+2, Robocop, Alien(s) still hold up to this day. It can look cheesy and you can point at something and say 'ha, that's a dummy!', but it still looks, well, real. Our brains are weird.

That's a pretty good point. I was watching Alien again last night for the first time in a while and that poo poo holds up rather well. Sure, you can tell that the chest burster was a puppet and that Ash's head was talking through a hole in the table - poo poo like that - but the overall effect is still more visceral than CGI. All the poo poo poo poo caked on Ash's face, the coils and hoses, the jerky movements of the baby alien all work really well and have a physicality to them that CGI can't reach. The face hugger surgery scene is incredibly creepy.

Same with Robocop and Terminator like you said. The stop motion Ray Harryhausen jerkiness somehow feels more physical and robotic than CGI does. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas uses puppetry in a similar way to visually describe an acid trip. I suppose you can add Jurrasic Park to this category.

To contribute: speaking of Alien, gently caress that motherfucking cat. gently caress Jonesey right his stupid cat rear end and gently caress Ripley for wasting time with him. They're down to three people, they're separated, the ship's going to blow up, Ripley hears her crew mates being slaughtered and she's worried about this motherfucking stupid rear end cat. "We've got to save the animals/pet!" tropes are irrationally irritating to me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

mng posted:

Jonesy

I remember seeing the film as a kid in the theater when it first came out (I was 12. What was my family thinking?) but even then I kept seeing the cat as a McGuffin. Myself, and everyone else in the theater thought their was an egg in the cat and ws bitching at Ripley to just leave the loving cat behind.

Come to think of it, that would have made a lot more sense and would have been a better plot device than "Alien has time to waste two of the last three crew members, make it all the way back to the escape shuttle, hibernate, lay in silence, never pass Ripley through the tunnels or the one doorway to the escape shuttle and then sneaks out once she starts to strip off her clothes." A face hugger erupting from the cat would have been a lot creepier and scary. That fast little crab motherfucker chasing her in that enclosed space. Plus it would have played on the idea of Ripley's empathy and given a reason for saving Jones in the first place.

Also, why is the alien in such stasis at that point? It acted like it had been there forever and was half asleep, which makes no sense if it traveled all the way to the shuttle after killing Parker and...um...the paralyzed screaming woman. I choose to explain it away by assuming that there was always more than one alien all along, all in various states of growth, and that's why it changes size so drastically. That makes a hell of a lot more sense except we never see it happen or are given a reason to believe HOW it could have happened.

I LOVE the film to death and like Aliens even better but there are problems with both of them. Irrational problems in some cases.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

kizudarake posted:

If I ever own a radio station, I will set aside a block of time every day at 6 am where that clip and song play.

That's actually a very funny idea. "I Got You Babe" by Sonny and Cher every morning at 6 AM. I bet it's been done.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

...was that alien going to eat that cat?

Everyone in the theater seemed to think so. Not eat the cat, but lay eggs in it at least. Granted, this was 35 years ago and tropes have had a long time to grow into cliches (become tropes) but, like I said, in many ways that would have been a more satisfying realization of the final Ripley vs. Alien showdown if it were handled right.

Having a face hugger bust out of that cat and fight it's way out of that carrier, then chase Ripley all over the escape capsule would have been insane.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Facehuggers hug faces. Chestbursters burst out of chests.

I'm an idiot, aren't I? Yes. Yes I am. Regardless, either one of those two would have been scarier and more rational than "4 minutes ago it killed 2 crew members and now it's fast asleep in the escape pod."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I can't find the post I was looking for but someone brought up Batman's straight on fighting style in TDKR as opposed to the stealthy ninja style moves he used in the other movies. I always just chalked that up to the long layoff. Bruce didn't exactly look like he was training every day and staying sharp.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jen heir rick posted:

The thing that annoys me about TDKR and guns is how he makes a big deal about how he doesn't use guns, but then he's got these big rear end guns on his bat cycle. I guess he's ok with shooting people if he's on the bat cycle.

Rubber bullets. Honest.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Batman Returns

There's a lot of goofy and illogical poo poo in Batman Returns.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I haven't seen this mentioned: superhero movies where the hero takes his mask off or has it destroyed just to get the actor more face time. Spiderman 1 & 2 and Batman Returns spring immediately to mind.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

I tell you what irrationally irritated me from that trailer:

Female scientist: 'we made a genetically engineered hybrid dinosaur'
Everyone else: 'oh holy gently caress wtf have you done?'

Genetically engineered hybrid dinosaurs were the loving problem all along, morons, or have you forgotten that they could only reproduce because you crossed them with frogs?

Or is this some sort of series reboot?

It's a piece of poo poo cash grab with "superior" CGI. Think Transformers 4 or 5 only with dinosaurs. It's gonna suck.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

After watching that trailer a few times, it actually doesn't look half bad. And when I said "cash grab", I didn't mean that I didn't understand that studios want to make money. It was more along the lines of "is this really necessary?" Like splitting the Hobbit into three films, for instance.

Sometimes it's pretty blatant and, as a cynic, it turns me off right away. Same with too much product placement, toy tie ins and just...one...more...sequel. I can't believe there have been, what, 6 Fast and Furious movies and 4 Transformers ones?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I forget what I was watching that reminded me of it but I hate "dying last breath dramatic statements/clues to the crime" where the guy or girl manages to get that last vital piece of information out right before they pass away.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

What, Pee Wee Herman doesn't count?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Someone mentioned the single tear during death scenes. What about the trickle of blood out of the corner of the mouth? And the stuttering? "It was...k...kkk....kkkk...k...."

*whispers*

"Kenneth..."

*Blood trickles down - tear flows*

I've seen a few people die in my day and that's not at all how dying works. I hate this trope. It should have begun and ended with 'Rosebud".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Probably because he didn't expect Richard to actually find out the truth. Him running around evading cops just makes him look more guilty.

That's what I thought. He was helping him so that Richard wouldn't suspect him, right?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

swamp waste posted:

All cop shows kind of are self-parodies, right?

The Wire wasn't.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Gasoline explosions everywhere...
If you are going to blow some poo poo up in a movie, please use some high velocity explosives, unless ofc it really is a bunch of gasoline being blowin up.

21 Jump Street did a pretty funny bit on this exact thing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I woke up with a hangover this morning and it reminded me of an irrationally irritating thing: Badasses in movies (usually cowboys) who swig straight whiskey out of the bottle like it was iced tea and who down shots like they were lemonade but always seem able to shoot straight.

Along these same lines, it always bothered me in M*A*S*H* (the movie and the TV show) how these doctors seemed to be wasted all the time, making stills and drinking 24/7 but could always hop to it when Radar got on the speaker and said "Attention all personnel! Incoming wounded".

loving Hawkeye, Trapper, Henry and BJ never seemed to operate with a hangover, while drunk or to be passed out and unable to be rousted of bed when the choppers came. One minute they're slamming martinis and the next they're in the O.R. pulling shrapnel out of a dude's heart/liver/kidney/lung.

That might have made a good episode. "Too Drunk to Operate".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Good one. I though you were going to link me to a M*A*S*H episode where Hawkeye was to drunk to operate.

Lap-Lem posted:

My dad was in a MASH unit during the Vietnam War, yeah, that's pretty much how it worked. You take a bunch of kids send them somewhere they don't want to go to do something they don't want to do, and surround them with horror 24/7. Drinking copious amounts of alcohol is basically what happens. Alcoholics function surprisingly well while intoxicated.

As a high functioning alcoholic myself, I can relate. But, for me, "functioning" means designing a magazine, an ad or posting on Something Awful, not picking shrapnel out of a dude's lungs at 3 am after a bender. Plus, the cast weren't written as "kids", in the movie or the show. They were portrayed as great doctors and surgeons at the top of their game who were thrust into a hellish situation so it always rang false for me.

It bothered me irrationally one might say.

What's your Dad do now? Was he drafted as a doctor? How old was he when he served? Did he operate while drunk? Did he ever gently caress up because of it?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Isn't there things you do better while drunk?
I can't play pool or foosball for poo poo sober and play alot better while slightly drunk. Also when practicing a new thing on the drums it sometimes help better if I'm really tired or slightly drunk.

Certainly. But firing a gun or performing surgery aren't among those things.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Nostalgia4ColdWar posted:

:laffo: if you think that civilian doctors don't operate on people drunk or drugged out of their minds.

Would you say I was being irrational?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hahahaha, holy poo poo, I had no idea "motion comics" were so hilarious:

It's like something out of SeaLab 2021.

Tiy should check out the 1960's Marvel ones. I think they're on YouTube.