Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ms Boods posted:

Don't get me started on Gladiator, although it never fails to crack me up that one of Russell Crowensius's choices of head-covering helmets just before his debut at the Coliseum is the Sutton Hoo helmet! (ie a dude from c.AD 180 Rome having a choice of wearing the ceremonial burial helmet of a 7th century AD Anglo-Saxon king).

I dunno, its a fair bit different, isnt it? Just seemed like a fairly generic spikey helmet to me (albeit a fairly non roman looking one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

rydiafan posted:

As a child before cell phones when I was ready for a ride home after school/social events I'd call my parents collect from a phone booth and give the number as my name. They'd refuse the charges and call back.

Aye. When I was a kid we used to call a local payphone to try and get people to pick it up. Hours of entertainment.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Evan a film as jingoistic as Independence Day paid lip servioce to the idea that there are other countries apart from America with the shots at the end of the destroyed spaceships at the Sydney Oprera House etc. But Harry Potter doesn't acknowledge a world outside of twee European white people.

I don't think Independence Day is a good example. It just shows the rest of the world waiting around for the Americans to save the day, making the US seem even more heroic.. Complete with some token stereotypical english chaps going "about time the yanks fixed this" or some poo poo. its also trying to be epic, and worldwide shots help that.

Harry Potter is a British kids book, not that surprising that its mainly in the UK. Besides, you Yanks lap that poo poo up. Harry Potter land Orlando is hilarious as a Brit.

I don't even know why im leaping to defend Harry Potter here.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I think the main thing going on with Yoda is figuring 'too little too late' by confronting the Emperor that late in the game. But he knew he had to do something.

That was the impression I got.

Sometimes wonder how much cooler it would have been if neither of them had lightsabers. Just reeeeally powerful force powers.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I'm watching Arrow, which is an entertaining distraction, if a bit daft sometimes.

Season one spoiler, I guess: Felicity, who is a skinny nerdy girl. No powers. Just picks up his bow and nonchalantly pulls it back with no effort whatsoever. Pretty sure that wouldn't happen. I remember picking up a proper bow when I was a kid and I couldn't budge the string in the slightest.

Christ, you're always showing us oliver working out. Pretty sure he wouldn't have a kids bow

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Jedit posted:

Oliver uses a compound bow. Depending on how they're made, you can get 100lbs of draw weight with as little as a 20lb pull.

At least in the season I'm watching at the moment he's not using a compound bow. And she literally put no effort in whatsoever.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I'm watching Arrow because I clearly have nothing better to do, and the woman that plays Laurel has had some plastic surgery between seasons one and two and dear god is it horrible. I'm not sure if it's just because it's getting to me or something but she barely looks real any more. Her chin is huge, she looks like the front of a ship.

It doesn't help that she's also really annoying. I'm finding myself cheering any misfortune that falls upon her. I've never hated a character so much.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress is this

"Hey guys I'm gonna say something pretty offensive and kinda racist but please don't call me out on it ok?" Who's the one that needs to grow up? If you say something stupid be prepared to be called on your bullshit.

He's a troll. He's trolling. Just ignore him and hopefully he'll go away.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Since R+L = J is all but spelled out, what I really want to know is wtf Rhaegar's thought process was in abandoning his two kids and the wife he seemed to barely like into the hands of his insane dad. Had Rhaegar the brains of even Hodor, he would have smothered or otherwise killed Elia (who was pretty weak after birth if I remember right) and then would have been free to take another wife AND kept two of the three dragons that idiot was so obsessed about.

I thought the point was that Rhaegar was a pretty nice guy. Didn't seem to me to be the type to go around murdering wives.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I own it after getting it for around $3. Not sure if I've seen it all the way through :negative:

I have a strange love for that movie. I have no idea why. It gets a colossal amount of hate but i think its ...fine.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I don't know where people get the idea that she was checking Facebook or whatever, seemed to me like she was still trying to do her (actual) job.

I can see what people are getting at here - i like me some ultraviolence but it actually took me out of the movie. Just seemed totally daft and over the top, and lots of people i know said the same thing.

Also, the movie was terrible. I thought it would be fun but it wasn't even that.

Chris Pratt, however, is awesome.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Not only that, but in Rogue One rebel ships wreck the poo poo out of AT-ATs just fine but in Empire Strikes Back they have to lasso them because their armor is too strong?

Rogue One is quite a few years later. By that time AT-AT's would be outdated.

Edit: wait. Got prequel/sequel mixed up. VV what he said VV

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Phanatic posted:

In Under Siege, why did they bring Miss July along with the terrorists posting as a rock band? The rock band ruse was sufficient to get them on board, the stripper added nothing.

I'd always figured that was part of the sweetner to get them on the boat in the first place. She seemed hella popular.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

WeAreTheRomans posted:

For real, I first heard the word "fag" from the book, and it's always struck me as a deeply bizarre system. The relationship between the prefects and the younger boys seems to have this air of psychosexual sadomasochism going on. Things that make you go hmmmmmmm

Don't get me wrong, the whole system back then was weird as hell, but there was no gay element to it. At least not in the use of the word 'fag' in that context.

Edit: under the Wikipedia article on "fagging" - ""Galloping Foxley" episode in Tales of the Unexpected. John Mills' character relates a story of being systematically abused by an older boy. It was based on a short story by Roald Dahl, who said he based it on a true story."

Roblo has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Jul 17, 2017

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

Mastadon literally already did show up and no one knew.

Helps that Brent Hinds looks like a wildling anyway.

Farrrr better cameo. Not in your face.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah, there were at least two deleted scenes that made it clear that the T-1000 was really not working well after freezing/shattering/rehealing. One had the T-1000 resting his hand on a striped handrail, only to find that he was accidentally mimicking the coloring and had a little trouble stopping himself from grabbing the thing in the first place. Other scene had John realizing his mom was the T-1000 was looking at her feet to find that everything below the knee was mimicking the metal grate under its feet.

The only part of this "the T-1000 is busted" throughline that survives into the theatrical cut is a bit where the T-1000 ripples upward once. It's still supposed to be a clue that poo poo isn't right with him, but in a void it just comes out looking like it's doing a "is everything where it needs to be" pass over itself.

That's weird. I'm pretty sure every time I've seen it it has those scenes in it. Is there an Extended Edition or something?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I didn't assume it was fear of Thanos or shame keeping him from coming out.

It did seem pretty clear that we weren't really supposed to understand why he wouldn't come out, and that Bruce himself didn't understand, and that we'd learn more in A4.

Yeah. This was what I took from it too.

It seemed a bit odd, but not so much that it bothered me.
I'm a big fan of triumphant arrivals in these movies (Thor turning up at the end in Ragnarok, hnnng) so hopefully it'll build up to something kickass in IW:2.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Is it though? Rowling for exaple made a lot of money before Harry Potter was finished and she still managed to complete the series.

Yeah. But not everyone is the same.

GRRM is also old, and is half trying to write another series. He might also be struggling with the fan expectations.

He was also writing ASoIaF for ears before it got super popular. May have a different mindset because of that.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I went through a period of hating Tom Cruise but have looped back around to liking him again. He is a genuinely good actor, just a little...loopy.

Also I watched that new cruise mummy film while on a plane once and can remember...not hating it. Might have been the long haul flight, combined with the fact that I like it when films are set in the UK combined with the fact that the mummy was strangely attractive but yeah, didn't hate it.

Went into the new Kong moving expecting to hate it too, and thought it was great.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Schubalts posted:

This is me, minus the mummy being "strangely" attractive.

Well. I meant strange in that for half of it she's all gross and undead with...double eyes going on.

I think half the reason people didn't like it (as someone mentioned) was that it was clearly an attempt to start a franchise. Just give us a good mummy movie already. The first and second were pretty popular, make more like that.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Samuringa posted:

There's a pretty nice technology dissonance in the whole thing, like when they show the library's computer

That's...not a computer. That's a microfiche reader...

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Len posted:

I've seen proof of T2 with actual interviews but nobody has ever been able to provide proof that From Dusk Till Dawn was ever anything except an obvious vampire movie. It's just goons going "I caught it on TV not knowing what I was watching and that twist!"

It was like that for me, I was a fairly sheltered kid with no TV at home. Watched it on video at a friend's house and it caught me by surprise to say the least.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Here's my entirely rational hate about endgame.

I live in Exeter, in the south west of England. I pre-booked tickets last week to see Endgame today. I get to the cinema, the machines won't give me my tickets, try another machine, still no luck.

Go to the counter. Code still doesn't work. Try several times. "Can I see the whole email sir?"

l'd booked tickets for the cinema in Edinburgh. Yeah, Edinburgh the capital of Scotland. gently caress.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Still Endgame.

She was. You see her looking around a bit, paying more attention to her surroundings than the others.

So many people seem to have missed that. I thought it was pretty drat obvious.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Ant-Man

Luis says at the start of the film that he's "the only one to knock out peaches" (the big guy in the prison). So it's not all that surprising that he can knock out a security guard with one punch (despite seeming a bit useless)

Also he was whistling "It's a small world" beforehand :3

Edit: wait goddammit. This is the wrong movie thread.

Roblo has a new favorite as of 22:16 on May 12, 2019

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

More Endgame
it's not completely crazy (at least in the situation of the film) that thanos, with his crazy advanced space tech and space wizards, was able to reverse engineer (and make better) something that was invented on Earth in the 60's or whatever. He just made it work on a ship scale. He had as much time as he needed, remember.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Couple of things from Detective Pikachu Tim is kind of dumb considering he doesn't put together after the bad guy reveals that Mewtwo can fuse humans and Pokemon together and he sees Mewtwo was messing with the Pikachu that his dad is in the Pikachu. The movie also has a big problem in that it is explicitly about finding what happened to Harry but it constantly goes out of the way to never show you his face in videos. Which makes it pretty obvious that he's going to be played by Ryan Reynolds.

Ha, you say this but I completely didn't see it coming. I was still thinking "oh I wonder what actor it's going to be" when they panned up from his feet and then I was all "oh, yeah, duh".

I'm a moron.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wait...where were they? Outside of Shield HQ? In a random park? It just occurred to me that their headquarters are a smoking pit and the surrounding landscape looks like Verdun. Were they doing time travel in a public park where old Steve Rogers could just wander in and sit on a bench undetected? WTF? Does no one have a backyard with a fence?

Outside the Avengers HQ building.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

They're slacking on the security then. Used to be even AntMan couldn't sneak by their defenses.

Avengers getting lazy.

well. Yknow. A fair bit of stuff happened. Building got a bit hosed up n' that.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Okay, the first Lethal Weapon

Riggs convinces Murtaugh to let him talk down the suicidal dude ready to jump off a building. They go back and forth and then Riggs’s crazy side comes out and he says “Do you wanna jump? Do you really wanna? Then that's just fine with me!” and he grabs his hand and they both leap off the building. The crowd screams and gasps, Murtaugh says “Aw poo poo” and the audience has no idea what to expect.

And then they land on a giant inflatable crash pad directly underneath where the guy was going to jump.

So why was it so perilous if the crash pad was there? Why did the crowd (and Murtaugh) react as though they were about to witness a double suicide? Every single part of the scene, including the actions and reactions of the characters, is set up as though the crash pad wasn’t there until it’s revealed to the audience that it was there the entire time. This has confused the poo poo out of me for decades.

I guess he saw that they'd finished assembling the pad, and went for it it. Stalling for time up until that point?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Isn't hitting the other person's sword more of an issue with Japanese weapons? Due to the steel, more likely to chip/damage the blade.

Mind you there is so much shite and misinformation out there about this kinda thing, especially when it comes to Japan (that tends to be more of the "katanas are indestructible" side of things though).

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Jedit posted:

Musashi devoted sections of Five Rings to discussing entanglement and controlling the opponent's blade. If he was down for it, it's probably not a bad idea in the context of Japanese sword fighting.

Fair enough. Was just thinking of the YouTube video of someone hitting a European saber with a katana, and the katana disintegrating (excellent nerdrage from weeabos in the comments).

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

areyoucontagious posted:

I mean, I know it’s the IIMM thread, but the reason those sounds exist is because if they weren’t there the audience would be unnerved by the lack of sound and get pulled out of the movie. Ferrets and guns both get weird sounds because even though everyone knows better, without audio cues the audience will miss things.

I get that, it's us that are the idiots not the sound designers. But would it hurt to just use a generic click when someone aims a break-barrel shotgun as opposed to the standard " CHK CHK" noise?

I'm far from a gun person but drat.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Calaveron posted:

The Boys just sounds like a delightful show I will never ever watch

You're missing out then, it's great.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

mostly. My hometown's mall still has one but it's not doing great. I got my current pillow from them earlier this year and they aggressively tried to get me to buy a mattress from them even though I said I already ordered one.

also my only irritation with Ragnarok was that song from shrek 3 (not smash mouth) they played in the intro battle. It felt out of place imho, like it was some fan-made video.

Dear god it's Zeppelin, it's not just "that song from Shrek 3".

And it's about Vikings, so it fits thematically. Best bit of the film, imo, when it comes back later.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Not a lot of people know this, but one of their miniatures is actually a fully-staffed mini-Weta. They do all of the CGI as they tried practical effects but it was too small to see, so they switched to digital.

A mini Weta? That's basically just a normal grasshopper then.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

The only descriptor of Triss from the books was that she was pretty with auburn (or almond) hair. The game took a lot of liberties with her look and the show is based on the books so suck it up nerd

Triss sucked in the games anyway, her accent was awful. Some sort of yank accent in my fantasy not-europe? No thanks.

Yen4lyfe

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

rydiafan posted:

That's obviously one of his mutations.

Precisely. (actually yeah I noticed, but it never seemed as grating)

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I watched Dunkirk. I liked it, it was a really impressive film with some fantastic cinematography/sound/music and I like Tom Hardy in everything, especially flying one of my favourite aeroplanes. But it felt really...empty.

I know they did hold back the RAF/Navy, but...they still flew something like 4500 sorties. There were hundreds of aircraft involved, 40 destroyers, same amount of mine sweepers. And quite a few hundred "little ships" turned up to help. In the film you see...one destroyer. 3 spitfires. Something like 20 little ships.

It kinda...undersells how impressive the whole thing was. Which I know isn't really the point of the film, seems to be more about the individual impact on people trapped on the beach but still. Felt a bit small. The channel looked empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

They made a big deal of flying actual vintage warplanes, which is nice - but they seemed to be flying them like 70 year old planes. Maybe it was super realistic, but it came across as slow and prodding.

I had an issue trying to appreciate the larger strategic picture. The film starts with Germans chasing one of the main characters and then it’s two days on a beach with no Germans. I get they held back to let the Luftwaffe finish them off, but then there weren’t a whole of Germans in the air either. It kind of felt like the beach was a whole world away, which was maybe the intent.

Yeah in reality the allies gor super lucky because Goering was a cocky poo poo, said essentially "save your tanks, the Luftwaffe can handle this" so the ground forces stopped short. Of course that actually meant they totally annihilated the beaches and town with bombers.
Not the occasional lone plane.