Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The pitch-shifting they did for some of the voice actors in The Lego Movie. I get that movies having celebrity voice actors is a thing and all but they could have saved a lot of money and effort just hiring Tara Strong and a guy who can actually do two different voices instead of making the girl from Community and Liam Neeson sound extra squeaky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

This annoys me.
They could redo some songs from the period to be more "bombastic"?
This is the period when music took off for the average person, it was not longer a strict art from but something that was being made for people to party out to. There's hundreds and thousands of songs from that era there must be twelve that could be rejiggered to fit.
In fact I'm sure some arsehole has already done something similar just for fun.

Or maybe I'm being oversensitive because I recently watched all of Broadwalk Empire and the songs in that were ballin'.

I don't know if you've ever seen a Baz Luhrmann movie before, but that's kind of his "thing"; The Great Gatsby uses modern hip-hop because that's what modern people associate with lavish wild parties, Moulin Rouge! uses covers of modern songs to distill down a bunch of classic operas into an accessible modern pastiche, and Romeo + Juliet has a modern setting where Montagues and Capulets are organized crime families.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this? posted:

Mission Impossible's super spying where Ethan Hunt goes on Usenet and looks up "Max.com" to find the black market broker.

Mission Impossible came at the perfect time because it encapsulates the technology of that era without going full-retard like most late-90s techno-thrillers.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pixeltendo posted:

Watched Pacific Rim earlier today, one thing bothered me.

Why on earth did the government think making a giant wall over giant robots was a good idea? did they like, expect the monsters to give up and go home?

Darth Freddy posted:

On pacific rim. How can they complain about a budget anyways. The world is about to be taken over. Screw the debt and start printing money or you know just ignore the money thing and save the world:

The answer to both of these is that ever since Watergate happened having the government be stupid, incompetent, or outright evil is a cheap and easy way to generate drama and smug nods of agreement from the audience.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Gaunab posted:

Star wars.

"Straw warts" is a palindrome. That is more interesting that just about any Star Wars tactical realism :goonsay:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If you look at Meiji-era Japan or Communist-controlled China you can see how religions and social institutions can vanish in less than a generation, it's really not that unbelievable that the Jedi could vanish in a similar span of time.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty much every script ever written had tons of poo poo that was refined or discarded over the course of countless rewrites, the fact that people think that pointing out this fact about the movies George Lucas worked is some sort of :stoke: just shows what a worthless cargo cult attempt at film criticism has sprung up in the wake of the nerd backlash against Lucas.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

I'm really looking forward to Lucy, because even though it looks like utterly ridiculous nonsense it is directed by Luc Besson so I imagine it is going to look incredible and be a blast to watch even if none of it makes a lick of sense.

Counterpoint: everything Luc Besson has been involved with in this century.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I don't know if this is better or worse than his old gimmick of pages of fiction that nobody reads or cares about.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Aleph Null posted:

At least "zombies vulnerable to cold" was in the source material.

The source material was loving awful too.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

You say this like as though zombies make any kind of sense to begin with. This is why I hate "realistic" zombies. They're not realistic. At all. Saying it's a virus instead of magic makes it less believable, not more, because we know about viruses and they absolutely can't do that. Magic can do anything.

Plus as much as people bitch and moan about the movie not being true to the source material the book had poo poo way more goofy that that. Like zombies walking around on the bottom of the ocean indefinitely, zombies freezing solid during the winter and then thawing out in the spring no worse for wear, zombies with their lungs turned inside-out from the force of explosions and still trucking along, all the while insisting that this was because of a viral infection and totally plausible...yet something actually new and original like the disease thing in the movie is just too much to handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

LeJackal posted:

The problem isn't 'realism' its internal logical consistency. The central conceit of 'it needs a healthy host to spread' falls apart when Sal, the 10-pack a day smoker who can't climb a flight of stairs, gets his throat ripped out and then his undead corpse starts doing parkour at the Olympic level. It obviously doesn't need a 'healthy' host because the zombie effect turns every corpse into a super-athlete regardless of 'health' while alive. (Did I mention that I hate 'fast' zombies?)

Once the premise falls apart, we have to ask ourselves "If the health of the victim is obviously immaterial, why would the zombies avoid the terminally ill?" The answer, of course, is because Lindelof is a hack and wanted a lazy way to provide for a cheap way out for the hero and ham-fisted 'drama' with 'hard choices' that only arise with the most ham-fisted contrivances a script-writer can produce.

Why is it that the people who whine about "plot holes" are always the ones who fail to understand the most basic plot points that are explained to the audience directly in the movie?