Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Celery Face posted:

I know Troy is obviously not supposed to be historical, but it was still funny how all the men had perfectly waxed chests.

Also, "you sack of wine" is one of the lamest insults I've ever heard.

That line stands out so horribly that I wonder if there's any historical context I'm missing or if the writers really thought that insults just mean angrily calling people ordinary household items.

"You can of soup!"

"You feathered pillow!"

"You chair!"

etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The Nolan batman movies piss me off.

Why?

Because we have a guy who's supposed to be the BEST EVER FIGHTER IN THE WORLD and he fights like this.

Not to mention the idea that Batman, a strategically-minded tactician whose entire thing is finding an enemy's weakness and exploiting it (to the point that he carries around a kryptonite ring) would take one look at Bane's rebreather and NOT try to find a way to rip it off his face.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

There was that episode where Wesley was applying to Starfleet and there were all these super crazy and difficult tests and I'm like, really? Every single redshirt went through this crap? I don't think so.

The red shirts are probably mostly enlisted, so they only had to score above the 30th percentile on an aptitude test based around 10th grade level knowledge.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Panfilo posted:

-How is Stryker so young, when in Wolverine Origins he was at least ten years older? How the hell do you get to be a friggin colonel so young?

He was a major, which isn't really unheard of in your 30's. Plus it's said multiple times that he's private sector.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Also I thought it was completely unnecessary that their guns completely erase people from existence. Especially for how cavalier they were in shooting "deadoes."

Do you not have this reaction in other movies where characters are cavalier about shooting people and the consequence is, you know, dying?

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

eating only apples posted:

I think The Prestige is my favourite movie, but there's a bunch of dialogue at the end that bugs me.

Angier has just been shot and takes the time to commentate his realisation - and the audience's realisation - that Borden was actually using a double. "Brothers... twins... you were Fallon all along..." There's the standard flashbacks to previous moments in the film, most of which have extra revealing moments added, which is all great and interesting and does a good job of answering the questions that need answering - but over it all is Angier and Borden explaining everything awkwardly as though the audience wouldn't have understood if it wasn't explicitly explained.

It's a clever film that assumes the audience can understand what it's saying, and most of that dialogue is completely unnecessary.

A few pages back, but there were plenty of goons in CineD who went to see the Departed when it came out, couldn't tell the difference between Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon, and came out thinking it was a cerebral existential thriller. The Inglorious Basterds thread had a recurring multiple page derail from people not understanding how Michael Fassbender's character blew his cover. There were goons in this thread who didn't understand why Professor Xavier could walk at the beginning of First Class but not the end.

People are terrible at watching movies, and goons aren't even the worst of it. That's why circling the black SUV is a thing.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
I was at least halfway through Fight Club before I realized Brad Pitt and Edward Norton were the same person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

I was thinking that but it simply wouldn't work. If they have facehuggers on them I can't see the marines agreeing to bring the bodies with them while trying to fight their way out.

In the first movie, when they're trying to remove the facehugger from Kane, Parker repeatedly says "Why don't you guys just freeze him?" It's not too much of a stretch to figure that the SOP in situations where someone has an inoperable medical condition is to put them in cryo and get them back to a proper treatment facility.

In the cases of them sending blue collar uninformed nobodies to bring home an alien life form, the crew wasn't meant to survive the mission. They were meant to be expendable nobodies who wouldn't be missed.