Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Rurea posted:

So in The Matrix, why do the Agents have such lovely aim? They aren't even human! They are literally sentient computer programs so you would think as part of their programming they would have perfect aim with a firearm. The machines would never have to worry about red pills because Smith could just cap fuckers from 200 yards out.

According to the sequels the hacker's attempts kinda mean gently caress all. The machines consider them a bit of inevitable glitching because the illusion of rebellion makes the program work. So to keep them fighting the Agents are probably intentionally made to be imposing and nearly unstoppable without being omnipotent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Whatev posted:

One thing that was dumb as hell in those Hobbit flicks is that they once again used the stupid eagles that confused and irritated audiences in the last Rings movie. So once more, why didn't they just use the dumbass eagles to fly to their destination?

The Eagles stay out of human territory as much as possible because men have a tendency to flip out and shoot at them. They're also capricious dicks and only help Gandalf because they're bros with Radagast.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

LeJackal posted:

StarTrek.txt

The episode of Voyager where Chakotay is drawn to the magical Space Reservation for Native Americans.

Star Trek is just regular irritating.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

^Oh yeah I know I thought his Romeo+Juliet worked but I don't know maybe if the soundtrack to Gatsby was better it would work but it just leaves me cold.
I did like the stupid thing about the cars seeming to go at breakneck speed if that's any consolation.

They probably weren't aiming for you. If they added a bunch of period music, no matter how raunchy, the types that post Facebook poo poo like "Boys have swag, men have class." would have mistaken it for a celebration of the things like lavish parties.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Attack the Block mentions the cell phone thing pretty early. The characters are all broke teenagers with prepaids. One guy in the entire group has a text credit left.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

So in the most recent Star Trek movie why is Khan but don't they have people specializing in combat on each ship that they can send down? :v:

This bit gets extra funny when you remember that Sulu is the only member of the bridge crew that had close combat training. And it was loving fencing.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Okay this segues directly into something that always bugs me - super advance civilisations that look like primitive ones. The Asgardians have all this super tech but hide it behind a seemingly primitive facade.

It's like a race where steampunk won.

This is so much more frustrating in the second movie. The Dark Elves are wrecking poo poo until Odin shows up and laser spears a bunch of them. Before that it was Dark Elves using guns and black hole grenades and the Asgardians are loving around with a sword and shield phalanx.

Odin has a giant gently caress off laser! Maybe make more than one of those instead of swords!

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
So in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trillian takes Arthur to the kitchen and shows him a neat little gizmo that makes whatever you're craving. Why didn't Arthur just get a cup of tea out of the damned thing?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If Spider-Hyphen-Man doesn't work or answer for any big crowd like SHIELD, how is he able to maintain his costume? He'd have had to spent loads of time experimenting suitable materials as well learning how to sew a skin-tight suit with an overly elaborate cosmetic-design.[/nolife]

In the comics science is way forward. In Ms. Marvel people like Reed Richards and Tony Stark have pushed things far enough that an AP chemistry student can figure out how to make poo poo like super-stretchy polymers.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

MrJacobs posted:

Yeah this is a guy who bitches about not having money when he could just go work for Tony Stark down the street and solve ALL OF HIS PROBLEMS. Dude's a total moron and we love him for it.

He actually works at Stark Enterprises for a minute. Then Tony becomes Power Suit Hitler and pisses everyone off(comic books are hella dumb.)

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I noticed this in the Dawn of the Dead remake, but also in stuff like The Walking Dead, but why does everyone go out to fight zombies in just t-shirts/sleeveless shirts? In the kind of situation where blood contact can cause an infection, wouldn't you want like thick leather and eye protection?

At least The Walking Dead has Glen run off to grab a riot suit when they find the prison.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
My problem with Divergent(besides the whole thing) was that there's no public works faction. Nobody seems to be fixing the plumbing or wiring of the only city left on Earth. Hopefully it's all handled in-house because I want to see a bunch of Dauntless trying to keep their idiotic whooping parkour shtick up while they shut off water mains and attach gaskets to things.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Tiggum posted:

That comment always sticks out to me because it just doesn't make sense. Even assuming that on that last day he did go to her for one last lesson, he had to already be pretty good at playing the piano by then. There's no way she would be able to take credit for it — even though she actually did teach him, she doesn't know that. By this point, wouldn't he basically be going there to use her piano to practice, rather than for her to teach him anything? But with all the other stuff he did on that final run-through, how would he even have had time for a piano lesson?

Inconsequential teachers do this poo poo all the time in real life. I have a writing instructor that I hated, learned nothing from, and in the final I all but said, "I'm better than you." But I got a little bit of recognition so when we see each other at art/performance things she tries to introduce me as "her student."

Memento posted:

I just read the Wiki synopsis of this and boy it sounds like a pile of shiiiiiiit.

You have a lot of time to kill on a flight to Tokyo. I'm glad I didn't even pay the one dollar to Redbox that steaming turd.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Neco Wafers.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Mr. Belpit posted:

I just reckoned it was a corporation caring more about doing it on the cheap than about doing it right, which is certainly unheard of among real-life businesses.

Isn't Weyland-Yutani canonically what Wal-Mart becomes in the future? Because if so I'm surprised Ripley didn't have to fight the first Xenomorph with a shopping cart and a safety cutter.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Took a break from Frozen with the kids and watched Rise of the Guardians. Okay movie, but I found it very odd that the bad guy, the Boogeyman Pitch, had the little monologue about how he knew how Jack Frost felt, being alone and unseen, and how he didn't want to be that way himself anymore, maybe HE wanted friends and a family. It just felt weird and out of place and made him a far more sympathetic character than pretty much any of the other Guardians; all of them had helpers and some family and friends, even Jack could hang around with the others if he wanted, but Pitch was always Bad Evil Leave Him Alone. poo poo dude, I'd want to take over the world too at that point.

When Pitch ran the world all kids had was terror and hopelessness. It's possible he's just being a manipulative dick because he can't overpower Jack like the others.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

MrJacobs posted:

Humans are smart, work in groups, and fight really dirty. We are awesome prey to predators.

Yeah, this is a thing in the terrible books. Newbie Predators hunt xenos because while they're hella dangerous the aliens are predictable to Predators. Humans are wily fucks that train killers and once you kick the bees nest it's only a matter of time before they shoot an A-Bomb or a Danny Glover at whatever town you're loving around in.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Static! posted:

Why don't Skynet just send a T-3 model super assassin cyborg back to 1984 and deal with SARAH CANNAH once and for all? Is there a time window in that universe?

I think the story is that the T-101 and T-1000 were sent back simultaneously when the resistance is about to crush Skynet. The machines were hedging their bets by sending a standard terminator and two prototypes to different areas in case one or more of them hosed up.

In T-3 Arnie mentions that destroying the salvaged Terminator processors only delayed Judgement Day so T-X comes from a different future or something. It's hard to remember because T-3 was a crappy movie.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Samopsa posted:

Don't think about timetravel, it does not make sense.

I unironically believe that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure had the best time travel mechanic. "We win as long as we remember to actually go back and rig the scenario" was brilliant.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

cheerfullydrab posted:

Has there ever been a time travel movie that addresses the fact that the Earth might have been floating in a different place in space on a previous date? I mean if you can instantaneously transport people or things between two points in the universe that's almost as awesome and world-changing and potentially profitable as time travel is.

I read a book that played with this. The protagonist has a time travelling belt from one of the first people to figure out time travel. He has to calculate the Earth's orbit when he uses it. At some point his wife uses it while in a panic and a subplot is the group figuring out when she left so they can jump to that second to stage a rescue.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Gorilla Salad posted:

And no one was living in massive houses or apartments. It was all rundown, small and exactly what you'd expect.

I hate movies where you see someone like a waitress go home to a huge ten bedroom apartment with tonnes of furniture and stuff everywhere. It's one of the things where all In can think is just how out of touch the makers of the movie must be to think normal people live like that.

As far as movie poor goes this is the second worst symptom for me. The worst has to be poo poo like Forgetting Sarah Marshall where Jason Segel apparently has the money to gently caress off to Hawaii and book hotel rooms without notice. Sarah and Aldous have celebrity money to do that poo poo but he's supposed to be an unemployed studio musician that lives in a one room and shops at Costco.

I want to watch popcorn flicks about Seth Rogan missing a date because he couldn't wrangle twenty bucks for gas and he doesn't get paid until Thursday.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Darth Freddy posted:

There people who won't delete a email/messenger/phone contact of some one who has passed away. Wont clean out their clothes from the closest because of the smell. Its the last gift his mom ever gave him, by opening it he is accepting the fact that she is gone.

Yeah, when I worked for Verizon there were a bunch of people that would come in for like 45+ minutes because they water damaged a phone with their dead mom's texts on it or something. People are weird about that kind of stuff.

And the entire point of the gift is that he only opens it after he finds a new family.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Novum posted:

Its not easy for just anyone to knock someone out in one shot every time and even when you do, it doesn't take more than a minute or two for them to wake back up. In every movie one karate chop will put someone down for the full duration of an hour long heist job or whatever.

Archer has a pretty nice scene in which Archer knocks out another operative by punching him in the face. He references that being knocked out for that long is "super bad for you". The agent he punched later mentions that the rest of his week is doctor appointments to see if he suffered any permanent damage.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Kyle says in the first movie that the resistance was knocking at the gate when Skynet activated the time machine. He time jumped literal minutes after the T-101. Skynet was weighing "Humans will definitely kill me" vs "loving with time travel will probably end my existence". As a computer it took the plan with a 1% chance of success over a 0%.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

bobkatt013 posted:

Patrick Bateman would have purchased it since it costs money and one of his "friends" might have bought one.

This explains most irrationally irritating things about the character. In the book he has an existential crisis because he thinks a restaurant is poo poo and someone tells him Donald Trump's wife eats there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

mind the walrus posted:

Anyone who has ever played the game of adding more female and minority representation to popular media realizes it's "damned if you do, damned if you don't" really early on.

A huge part of the problem is that neither of the female Avengers got stand-alone movies. Black Widow cameos in Iron Man/is featured in Captain America movies. Scarlet Witch got origin storied in a group picture and afaik there's no plans to give either character a stand-alone.

Although if Whedon's writing I don't know if I'd want a Scarlet Witch movie. He did the "girl gets tortured til she has superpowers" once and Firefly really didn't age well.