Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
JGL's face in Looper is very off-putting due to having to vaguely resemble a young Bruce Willis via make-up, for plot reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

Recently watched the show for the first time and only one thing really bothered me.

Why does Uncle Iroh have an accent when nobody else in his family or from his city does?

Don't think it's a generational thing either, since (as far as I recall) not even his dad had one.

//

Joker

That dancing scene on the stairs that people were going crazy for was set to that pedophile football song lmao

Also, while watching the movie I remembered people itt being annoyed that Fleck just randomly getting with his gorgeous neighbor makes no sense.

I would have assumed that whole relationship was only in his head (which it is), but this possibly incorrect memory of other people's complaints turned a predictable twist into an actual surprise for me.

If my memory of other people's complaints is actually accurate, then some people here must not have been paying attention.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

flavor.flv posted:

Because they got Mako on board and they needed to have him play the best character

Even if it's the actor's actual accent, in-universe it still doesn't explain why the character has one.

Given how well the accent suits the character, and just how pleasant he is to listen to in general, the best solution would have probably been to simply give all characters from that region a similar accent.

Though that would have probably resulted in a bunch of white VOs doing some Mickey Rooney-rear end bullshit, so maybe limiting it to just Iroh for no discernable reason was the right call.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The Legend of Korra spends a a good 90% of its run explaining how the heroes of the previous generation were terrible parents, so I think it's fair to extend that back to Iroh.

Is that show worth watching?

Recall reading here that it's overtly pro status quo, which is not just a lovely message for a show for kids, but also seems directly at odds with the original show.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Just started watching The Bronze.

About three minutes in, the main character gets injured in a flashback/montage set during the 2004 Olympics. She refuses a wheelchair and says she will try to do her routine anyway. This is not a spoiler because I don't know what happens next.

There's a text overlay of headlines and snippets from news articles or possibly live reporting about this in various languages.

There's a bit in German saying "[Character] werde für die Bronze zu gehen. Sie sagt, sie nach Amerika, es zu tun."

This is complete gibberish. The first part is clearly an attempt to translate, word for word, the phrase "going for x" meaning to attempt to do/obtain x.
This is not an expression in German.
Even Google Translate can recognize the phrase and would translate the full sentence differently, so either they translated the words or sentence fragments separately, or went off their very hazy memory from German class.

Having reread the second part a couple times now, I have no idea what it could possibly be trying to say.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit:
I just realized how weird it is that there is an actress named Melissa Rauch (protag of The Bronze) and another named Melissa Fumero (Santiago on Brooklyn 99), as both names mean smoke. In German and Spanish, respectively.

Bk. has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Jul 23, 2021

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Just watched the Pacino version of Scarface.
The credits show a Kid #1, but no other kids.
Why bother numbering a single kid?

Also, I'd forgotten just how weird the movie is.
Irrespective of whether or not it holds up or deserves its iconic status (I'd say yes to both), it's just a really odd movie in so many ways.

Probably the most obvious example of this is the club shooting scene with the dancing clown(?) with the papier mâché head. What's the deal with that?

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

Torquemada posted:

The answer is usually ‘there were other kids that got left on the cutting room floor’.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Or who weren't featured prominently enough to warrant listing in the credits.

Only kids I remember being featured at all prominently are the two in the backseat of the car Hector Salamanca wants to blow up, and I wouldn't say either one plays any more or less significant a role than the other. Neither one gets any dialogue.

Anyway, the whole movie really goes to show what a great actor Dunkacino used to be, to make such a ridiculous character with such an absurd accent so compelling.

Atrocious Spanish though, makes sense all the Cubans eventually default to English even when amongst themselves.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

Looked up the scene on YouTube because I couldn't recall; both girls.
Was certainly a plausible guess, though.
We definitely live in a terrible society that shits on women and girls non-stop.

Checked IMDb and there actually is a listing for a Kid #2, but they're not listed in order so I must've just missed it.
Both boys though, so I have no idea what characters they are supposed to be.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood:

Dashiki throws a pair of red boxing shorts at Ashtray. They're implied to belong to Mike Tyson, who famously boxed in black trunks.

Also, lots of diegetic east coast rap, despite being set in LA in the 90s. That might actually be a deliberate joke though.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
The laser grid thing in Resident Evil doesn't damage the duffel bag with the EMP in it.

Also, once I realized why Eric Mabius/Matt looked so familiar, I couldn't not see Daniel from Ugly Betty. Even though I haven't seen that show in over ten years. Does it hold up?

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
The Batman
All of the masks look kinda dumb, but it only makes sense in-universe for Riddler's to do so.
Because he is explicitly a dweeby internet guy.

Batman gets exploded at one point and while his suit is shown to be extremely protective, his fully exposed chin should have at least gotten a bit sooty or something. But, nothing.

Roblo posted:

Re: the new Mission Impossible:
[...]
But there was a conversation at the start between a bunch of heads of US spy agencies and the Sec of Defence or whatever. And the conversation is painfully ..fake. Like, they each say a line of a sentence then someone else says the next one immediately. That's now how people talk! It was just so...artificial.

Given the kind of un-human psychos that actually run all of those agencies, this is the most realistic part of the movie.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
RoboCop 2
Cain's digital face render thing that appears on his little screen sometimes occasionally distorts all weird and looks like those skibidi toilet gmod things.

I'm also torn on whether the new paint job they gave Murphy looks cool or terrible.
Might be both, I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gromit posted:

My favourite thing like this that's everywhere is when you can see that the script is written so that actors cut each other off in their lines, but they do it like they are taking turns. There's a little pause before someone "cuts in".

It's such an easy mistake to avoid but somehow keeps getting left in stuff instead of being edited out or re-shot. Baffling, every time.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
her
Why does Joaquin Phoenix only talk to his phone girlfriend via that weird earbud, even when he's alone in his apartment. Even in bed.
Just use a speaker, idiot.

The phone design is pretty dope though.

Apocalypto
Some real bad haircuts in this movie.
No other notes.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Saw the Hunger Games prequel and found it very distracting when the male lead spent part of the movie looking exactly like a Default Eminem.
Same haircut and color, plain white T-shirt and dog tags on a ball link necklace.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

Hel posted:

Is it the guy with the small straw hat? because it provides slim shade.

Having first mentioned him in the thread, I feel partially responsible for this awful joke.
Sorry everyone.

Shame on you, Hel.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Fargo
That little wiener kid Scotty Lundegaard plays the accordion. He has a poster on his bedroom door of the "Accordian King", spelled wrong like that.

TV Fargo season 4
Chris Rock is not at all convincing as the dignified old crime syndicate patriarch.
Nothing he can do about his slight build and goofy face, but he could have maybe tried talking differently.
Different tone of voice, maybe an accent or something.
The little old-timey mustache was not enough to make the character not just Chris Rock.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
The whole fight sequence at the end of Dark City sucks rear end.
Also the opening narration, which was apparently mandated by the studio and is not in all cuts of the film. Luckily I missed it the first time I saw the movie, back when TV was on a schedule and you couldn't rewind.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Reacher S1E1
Nerdy black cop angrily tells Reacher to keep his wife's name out of his mouth.
Feels like a super lame reference to that time Chris Rock got slapped, but the episode actually came out about a month before that happened.

And the fight against the main antagonist at the end of Dark City objectively sucks, it's not just my opinion.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

I've heard that phrase used before Will Smith said it.

Maybe you should be more mindful of how you talk to and about other people's spouses then.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Road to El Dorado
A Spanish character (from Spain) jokingly says that El Dorado must be a native term meaning big rock.
That joke would only make sense if the guy was canonically (diegetically?) speaking English, rather than that just being a cinematic convention.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Or it could be a False Friend, so El Dorado does mean City of Gold or whatever in Spanish, but he's implying that the indigenous people have a very similar phrase with a completely different meaning in their own language that happens to sound like it.

Actually, all characters in the movie (including the horse and armadillo) understand each other without any problems.
So it's a moot point either way.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Rollerball
James Caan and several background teammates are just rubbing themselves without any soap in the shower. It's like they're miming the act of showering, while actually literally in the shower.
Baffling.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

theyre all neurodivergent and all forgot the soap so theyre all going through the motions in the hopes that nobody notices

The props department did its job, there are bars of soap visible in the shot.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

credburn posted:

How long is this shower scene that you can deduce they did or did not use soap?

Deduce these nuts.
There were clear lathering motions on chests and backs and vigorous rubbing under armpits.
While clearly not holding any soap or rags or futuristic sci-fi loofahs.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
The Night Comes for Us
Movie is (mostly) in Indonesian, so I watched it with English subtitles.

A character named Bob is occasionally called Bobby in the subs when the characters are clearly saying Bob.

Even weirder, the subs refer to heroin as smack, junk and other slang terms while the characters are consistently just calling it heroin.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
The Looney Tunes Show
S1E16: That's My Baby

Porky Pig is filling out some paperwork and tells Bugs Bunny he can have the pen when he's done, but he is actually holding a pencil.

Show gets a pass for explaining to kids what an up-sell is though. People keep pushing product on poor Porky. poo poo is hosed up.

PhazonLink posted:

the soylent creator is weird

Tech folk need to all be euthanized.
Nobody benefits from their continued existence, least of all themselves.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Normally I finish what I'm watching first, but I had to stop 28 Weeks Later and come complain right away.

The infected (and highly infectious) wife is being held in some secure facility, but the room she's in has no guards and is unlocked. Robert Carlyle just walks right in and makes out with her.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure he has a skeleton key and the guard stepped out for a smoke, or something. Still not exactly Fort Knox, but they didn't have a revolving door to her cell.

He's shown to have some sort of key card thing because he's a maintenance guy or custodian or whatever, guess I missed him using it to get into the cell.

Don't worry, I have more complaints.

The annoying little brother character foreshadowingly tells his sister that they definitely won't get separated again.

The inevitable separation happens when they both fall down some stairs in a dark subway station.
Sis is then at the bottom of the stairs, obviously.
Bro is just randomly somewhere else.

Edit:
The kid's name is Mackintosh Muggleton, which is pretty funny.
The sister is played by Imogen Poots, who is obviously more well known but also has a very funny name.
This is not a complaint.

Bk. has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Apr 26, 2024

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
A couple of minutes into The Luther Movie, they gave Andy Serkis a distractingly terrible haircut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
A fresh spin on one of my all-time favorite stupid internet pictures. I think about that little exchange all the time and this will only make things worse.
Thank you.