Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Re: Superhero costume acquisition implausibility:

Grant Morrison posted:

People say kids can't understand the difference between fact and fiction, but that's bullshit. Kids understand that real crabs don't sing like the ones in The Little Mermaid. But you give an adult fiction, and the adult starts asking really loving dumb questions like 'How does Superman fly? How do those eyebeams work? Who pumps the Batmobile's tires?' It's a loving made-up story, you idiot! Nobody pumps the tires!
I'm kind of with Grant Morrison on this, and suspension of disbelief in general. It just makes it worse when they give the drat costume its own origin story. It's a costume, it doesn't need it. But then, I suppose that's why this is the irrationally irritating movie moments thread.

And speaking of The Matrix, my irrational pet peeve is when movies portray situations where the actors look like they're having a hard time pulling off physical moves that their characters supposedly do effortlessly. I couldn't even enjoy the first Matrix film because of that. All the things the movie did well, just completely ignored as soon as Keanu raises his foot above thigh level and looks like he needs to have a quick lie down.

By contrast, Equilibrium is a loving terrible movie in basically all conceivable ways but I loved it just because it looked like Christian Bale didn't have any trouble twirling around like a ballerina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Michael Jackson posted:

I have watched a lot of mcguyver episodes in my childhood and what irritated me was the science involved. yeah sunlight on that precious stone and it becomes laser explosions! even at a young age i knew mcguyver would never in reality gain entrance to the hidden treasureTM.

Back in season one all that stuff actually worked, but they had to change it to more fanciful stuff in later seasons when it turned out that if you taught children how to make thermite out of fridge magnets, they would.

Also it's spelled MacGyver, which you may remember with the simple mnemonic that MacGyver is neither an MC nor a Guyver unit, or alternately by doing nothing but watching MacGyver for 20 years.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I just watched the episode of Daredevil where the ninjas show up, and my god, this show has just become so dumb so suddenly. He can't tell where they are because they've somehow made their hearts beat more quietly? And he also can't hear their footsteps for some reason, I guess? But he can hear their swords? What?

These bullshit ninjas actually retroactively ruin everything, because now every time you see Daredevil effortlessly avoid crashing into walls and furniture, it's because those things are humming quietly to themselves. It was never echolocation! No, Daredevil just lives in the sleazy part of Wonderland! I'm glad some dumbfuck in pajamas appeared on the show and demanded we believe Daredevil locates doors by following the sound of Break On Through! I haven't seen this level of dedication to annoying the gently caress out of people since Andy Kaufman!