Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
On re-watching Firefly I noticed it had some of the worst gunfights in recent memory. Film and TV show gunfights are always hilarious. No one uses cover properly, no one ever has to reload, and the bad guys are always conveniently terrible shots. Hell, there was a scene with Zoe going into some kind of roll down a hallway crowded with guys shooting at her. Not only do they miss the person doing a hedgehog impersonation right in front of them, they wait patiently as she stands up and unloads a clip into all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

The crappy TV show Andromeda had a good explanation as to why the main characters never actually got shot in gun battles. Because it took place in the future guns didn't fire bullets, instead they shot tiny missiles and the main characters (who had better tech than the bad guys) all wore devices that disrupted the tiny missile guidance systems.

That's...that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. No wonder that show didn't take off.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Once he gets popular he can probably just get replacement stuff from costume shops. Newspaper Spider-Man bought an entire replacement costume when he was stuck in Miami without one and I'd bet that he's done something similar in the comic books as well.

That was one thing the New 52 comics addressed that I'd like to see in a superhero movie. In his first days as Superman, Clark commissioned a screen printer to make dozens of t-shirts with his "S" insignia on them in various colors. Then wore those and waited for his popularity to spawn numerous knockoff shirts of the same design for tourists and Superman fans to buy. So as time went on he only had to pose as a tourist and wander into any Metropolis gift shop to get a new "costume."

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Spalec posted:

The Dark Knight Rises:

You've captured/incapacitated Batman, will you:

A) Immediately shoot him in the face or B) leave him to suffer in some deathtrap (the pit or leaving him to get nuked) where he'll inevitably escape and gently caress everything up?

BOTH villains do that, you'd have thought they would learn once he returns to Gotham.

I really loved the scene in TDK where the Joker flat out says he'll never kill Batman because he's just too much fun.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, her giving him skin was stupid because he could already feel with his robot skin.

Data's entire "I wanna be human" shtick was irritating. It makes sense for an actual robot. But he was already a sapient being. Him wanting to be human was like an alien wanting to be human. As if his own "species" wasn't good enough. That dude was basically an android racist.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Celery Face posted:

Last time I saw Into The Wild was in grade 9 and it was only part of it but there's something I still don't get about it. Was the movie trying to make you agree with Christopher McCandless? Even in grade 9, when I didn't know anything about the incident, I knew he was going to starve to death. He makes a big deal about how horrible his life is but he just graduated from university with a law degree and his parents were trying to buy him a nice car. Then he just abandons his family to go into the Alaskan wilderness with almost no gear or any knowledge of how to survive. Plus, he mooches off of people he meets, ignores warnings from park rangers and poaches animals.

Then again, I only saw part of the movie so correct me if I'm wrong.

I am a very big fan of Chris' story and feel I can attest that no, you aren't supposed to actually agree with his direct actions. Only the spirit of them. What he did was stupid, selfish, and essentially suicide. However, the point of the book and movie were to help you understand him. An important theme of the movie and Krakauer's book is that you can lend some understanding to a person without completely buying into what they're selling. Chris was a disillusioned young man who held tightly onto many disappointments about life and its meaning, which is something that just about any starry eyed kid can relate to. So in that vein one should be able to understand his intentions.

Chris' story is one that has been close to my heart since I was an edgy teenager. But it served it's purpose in also showing me the folly of taking such drastic actions. My own issues with society and the meaning of life allow me to relate to Chris and sympathize with his plight, while at the same time his story serves as a shining example of what not to do when faced with such weariness about the world.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Nah, bro, she's just phasing stuff through... time...
It's fine.

I gotta say I agree with this one. She can already control reality enough to phase everything about herself or others down the the quantum level through a solid object intact. It's not much of a leap for me personally to assume she can do it through time too.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

On the other side of this is Spaced, where Simon Pegg insisted on actually playing the games during his scenes but kept getting distracted and forgetting his lines.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

HairyManling posted:

Because the first Star Wars movie would have been about six minutes long and not included that kickass trench run scene.

For content:
Riddick was a halfway decent, dumb action movie, but there's one part that just infuriates me. They shoot Riddick's wolf with a barium dart or whatever it was so they can track it back to Riddick, knowing it will run home when injured. How in the hell did they know that the wolf was Riddick's? Also, the one woman in the entire movie, who happens to be a lesbian, suddenly gets all hot for Riddick after he manages to not die. "Riddick has proven his alpha-ness. Suddenly I am no longer a lesbian!" But I guess that's a whole other can of worms.

Now that I think more about it, Riddick sucked and I'm ashamed to admit I spent five bucks renting it on Amazon.

They made it pretty clear that he and Dahl didn't do anything, she was just messing with him because of his whole prophecy thing. Because if you pay close attention, you'll notice nothing in his little prophecy happens the way he says it will. That's why at the end he says "keep it warm for me", he's implying that he wants to make another attempt to get in her pants someday.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Eh, it was a GREAT Riddick movie, but a kinda crap sci fi film. Just a higher budget retread of Pitch Black.

In the creators defense, after Chronicles everyone everywhere started bitching that they wanted Pitch Black again. So that's what the writers gave'em. I for one thought Chronicles was an extremely well made, epic sci-fi opera that just oozed personality. The movie blew me away. But I seem to be alone in that regard.

Esroc has a new favorite as of 07:59 on Jun 13, 2014

Esroc
May 31, 2010

dpack_1 posted:

Don't they briefly explain this by saying it uses the snow it plows as a clean water source as well as a way of cooling said super infinite energy machine?

So it has to skate around the world at high speed to work or some poo poo?

More or less. If I'm remembering it right, the entire reason the perpetual motion engine is on a train is because the motion of the train in an unending loop is part of what keeps it perpetual. And the designer really liked trains. So the same engine couldn't just be hooked up to a bunker and work. It has to keep moving itself to maintain itself.

In other words: Magic.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

Watch The Last Stand. There's a terrorist outdriving all the cops in this sweet sportscar that only one dude in the FBI knows about and he goes to great lengths to explain all the car's features and why it's so good at schooling cops.

There was a weird tales show in Disney Channel years back called So Weird. Good show early on, Henry Winkler had a funny episode. One of the episodes was about a guy designing a game that could program kids into becoming obedient Stepford children. There's shots of the kids holding handhelds like Gameboy Colors while a voice is heard hypnotizing the kids. But when the main character gets a copy of the game, it's in a CD jewel case that's obviously way too big to fit on a handheld.

Eh, that can be explained fairly easily. Games are programmed on computers before being put onto a cart. The CD could have been a copy of the original source.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

In the Planet of the Apes movies, why do the apes live in human-like relationships? Gorillas live in family harems. Orangutans are solitary, and chimps don't form any form of partnership. Chimps have sperm warfare built into their genes, gorillas don't. Why the hell would they mimic human monogamy?

Not only that, but in regards to Rise and Dawn their population is ridiculously small. If they were really going to grow and be able to rival humanity they'd need multiple partners. So right off the bat you're running into an issue where monogamous relationships would possibly cause the population to stagnate.

The rest can be explained away as them not being fully chimp/orangutan/gorilla anymore now that they're sapient. Humans can deny their baser instincts when the situation calls for it. There's no reason the Apes couldn't.

Esroc has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Jul 12, 2014

Esroc
May 31, 2010

The Wildings specifically mention in one episode that they will go around The Wall if they can't fight their way through the Night's Watch. Though I can't imagine why laying siege to Castle Black is easier than just going around in the first place. Maybe they don't have the materials and tools to build enough boats.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

MindlessHavok posted:

Snowpiercer: The entire end of the movie. Curtis stops the engine, wrecking the train and killing everyone on board. Except for an ~18 year old girl and a ~5 year old boy who have never been off the train. They are literally the only people left alive on earth at this point. Now what? They walk off the train and see a polar bear (who I half expected to hold up a Coke and smile) and then it fades to black. There's no way they end up living or repopulating the earth. This movie left me with so many questions.

How did it get so many positive reviews?

If it helps any, in the original graphic novel there's actually a second train exact opposite of the Snowpiercer on the track. So there's hope for humanity. Though they're just as hosed up a society, so...

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I was incredibly annoyed in the Avengers when Hawkeye was falling off the roof, and shot an arrow at some hosed up angle like up and to the right to how he was falling, but still managed to somehow make it go in a straight line to hit the building.

I know it's dumb, but it's a big budget movie and dammit, it's not like you didn't center the god damned camera on that shot anyway. How hard would it have been to just retake that shot and tell the actor "AIM AT THE loving CAMERA JACKASS".

And that, my friends, is the irrational irritation for the morning.

I just pretend that the MCU Hawkeye actually has a bullseye superpower. It makes those silly scenes easier to stomach.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

So is there an official nerd explanation as to why Peter Parker can climb walls even when he's wearing gloves and shoes?

There was a Marvel encyclopedia that stated that his suit uses a very thin material specifically so it doesn't hinder his wall-crawling.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yeah I thought about that, but sometimes you see him clinging to surfaces even with sneakers on. Then again, I think he's always had his hands on the surface also.

Apparently his "real" wall-crawling ability is comic book physics involving atomic friction or some other pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo. Only the Raimi films tried making it filament based. So theoretically he might be able to stick with shoes, at least in his comic incarnation.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

In Coherence one of the major plot reveals is that the dinner guests have been popping in and out of other realities the entire time and the implication is that none of the characters at the end of the movie are the original person first met at the beginning of the movie.

The irritating part is that not a single one of these other selves comes from a reality where they've already figured that out. The replacements are all conveniently in line with the overall unraveling of events as the viewer experiences them and learn about how it all works in the same timeframe. Even though by the movies own logic someone should have shown up at some point going "Hey, guess what! My group already figured all this poo poo out hours ago. You scrubs need to step it up!"

Esroc has a new favorite as of 06:33 on Sep 27, 2014

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Horror movies that defacto prove the existence of God to the characters and they still don't act any differently.

I just saw Annabell and it's a Christian couple, that go to Church, have a local pastor and when the demon shows up instead of having faith in God they just go ahead and give up a soul. Not a moment of thought about it. Not once did someone say "hey if it wants souls and hell is real maybe we should just get killed by it and go to heaven?" No. Two characters literally choose an eternity in hell for no reason.

I know it's a thing that if you're a character in a horror movie you can't do anything that makes sense on any level but come on!

Supernatural bugs me about this. The Winchesters have met all manner of Gods across multiple pantheons, have straight up visited Heaven and Hell, and by all accounts should realize death has no consequence in their universe. Because so long as you're a decent person you'll go to heaven and even if that's not your cup of tea there's a million and one ways to be brought back to life. They probably even have their own penthouse suites waiting for them for all the times they've saved the world. Yet they still act like death is a huge deal.

At this point they should be acting more like the characters of Dragonball. "Oh, gently caress he's dead again. Someone go summon the dragon..."

EDIT: Related, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, which got it kind of right. Buffy gets pulled back to the mortal realm from Heaven and straight up hates her friends for yanking her out of paradise.

Esroc has a new favorite as of 09:00 on Oct 21, 2014

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Murphy Brownback posted:

There's all sorts of really stupid angsty story behind it, but there are parts when they do just want to die and get it over with (mostly Sam, who even tried to make a deal with Death so he could never be brought back), but the other brother/god/whoever keeps bringing them back. Also I don't think either of them are ever going to heaven legitimately considering all the angels they've killed and deals with demons that they've both made. Also there's the end of season 9 that might complicate things for one of them.

They make it pretty clear with the revelation that the "Prophet" Chuck was actually God itself (The writers have confirmed this) that God is guiding the brothers or otherwise manipulating events. God's absence throughout the show is false, it merely wants to work from behind the scenes and not be bothered by everyone asking it to fix everything for them, thus upholding a modicum of free will. Thus the Winchesters are literally doing God's work. Which one would assume means a free ticket through the pearly gates once all is said and done.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

There were a lot of things wrong with Lucy, but I was able to look past them for the most part. Except for the fact that some lab somewhere made a drug capable of giving people reality bending God powers but apparently didn't bother to test it and find this out. And instead apparently made it and just decided to sell it to street kids to get high on right out of the vat. Did those guys have no concept of clinical trials? And why did everyone act like Lucy's departure at the end was some big loss of knowledge when they all knew where the powers came from and could just make more? It wasn't even a particularly exotic concoction.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

There was some discussion about The Walking Dead before, so let's bring that back.
In the mid season finale, Beth dies a completely pointless death. It honestly feels like they just had a cast that was too big and decided to kill SOMEONE. It was such a stupid thing to do, what did she think was going to happen if she stabbed the cop lady? Even in the best case scenario, shots would be fired and maybe some of her friends would be killed.
Also the fact that she got shot so perfectly is stupid.

Finally, the lesbian girl is a completely pointless character.

What I took away from all that was Beth didn't want the cop to get away with all the poo poo she'd done and stabbed her as a roundabout suicide attempt knowing the cop would shoot her then Rick & Co. would shoot back. She didn't want to let them off scott free, even if it meant her friends being in a firefight in the middle of a crowded hallway. But gently caress if I know. I only put that show on as background noise, so I literally pay about as much attention to it as the writers do.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

10 Beers posted:

On a whim this weekend, my girlfriend and I decided to watch the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Mistakes were made. You could just put the whole movie in this thread.

TMNT was really odd watch for me because it had a lot of great scenes and ideas, and the Turtles themselves were as funny and charming as they should be. But overall I did not like the movie. It just didn't grab me and I felt really detached despite it earning a chuckle from me every so often. My only theory as to why is my nostalgia for the old live action films, and maybe I just couldn't relate to the poorly animated monstrosities they decided to use instead of physical costumes. I mean, the CGI was really really bad to the point that the whole movie looked like Roger Rabbit, with cartoons interacting with live people.

I'm normally just fine with CG and I don't particularly have a strong opinion on the CGI/practical effects debate but in this case I think the advancements in practical effects could have made for great physical costumes for the Turtles and I can't help but wonder if they had gone that route instead if I would have liked the movie more.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I've been watching the first season of The 100 and it's a pretty interesting show for a CW property, but it bugs me that there's a secret cabal of people seemingly hellbent on stopping the people of the Ark that are trying to get to Earth. Granted, I'm not very far into the series so maybe there will be some big reveal that makes their plan make some sense, but as it is I just cannot fathom their motivation for loving over everyone trying to get things prepared to go back to the ground considering their other option is slow death via asphyxiation.

I mean, jeez. Can't your personal vendetta's wait until after the threat of horrible death isn't looming over everyone?

On a related note, after everyone finds out that Earth is not only habitable, but has entire populations that have survived for almost 100 years, everyone on the Ark still talks like they're the last hope for humanity. I get that they still want to live and all, and wouldn't want them to give up trying to return to Earth just because its occupied, but knowing that humans survived the nukes just fine and there's no immediate threat of extinction should at least relieve some of the stress the leaders are experiencing. Since now if they gently caress up they aren't dooming the entire species.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

The 100 bugged the gently caress out of me, enough that I gave up halfway through the first season, when the spacebound society which was running out of air was still executing people by flushing them into space with an airlock full of air. Let alone when they've been hovering above earth for 100 years without, apparently, even a telescope to look down and see the people living there (or indeed, the canaries they sent down to see if it was habitable).

I just couldn't force myself to give a gently caress after that.

They showed midway through the first season that they would suck the air out of the chamber before letting the person float out into space, specifically to address your issue. However, it is really stupid that they had no idea about anything on Earth when a simple look down to see lush green and blue covering the planet and not varying shades of brown should tell them all they need to do know.

It also bugs me that grounders speak the same hip teenage lingo as the kids in space isolation for 100 years. I would imagine the vernacular would shift considerably over 100 years on both sides. Hell, just a simple attempt at an accent for the grounders would've been more believable.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Ha. Another silly moment in The 100.

The tween camp gets infected by a biological warfare virus and everyone panics, only to find out later that the virus doesn't kill you and just makes you temporarily sick and causes psychological trauma to soften you up before a grounder raid. Except not twenty minutes before this reveal there was a kid who dropped dead from it. But nevermind him, it's totally harmless.

This show has the weirdest writing. The writers do a great job at creating tension and character development, but leave plot holes laying around like its studio mandated.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Elfface posted:

See, as weird as they look, I think it was a necessary evil in the show. It uses a lot of phones and text messages etc. and having a character read the message aloud every time they read and typed would be a pretty bad solution (and one of my irrationlly irritating moments), and you can't exactly show a close-up of the messaging app or whatever without violating some law of filmmaking and having it look really odd.

A lot of shows these days have taken the route of showing the text as an animated pop-up, like Sherlock for example, which to me seems like a perfect solution to the problem. Especially since going forward texting on phones is going to be in a lot of movies and shows and someone has to do something to make it bearable.

e;f;b :argh:

Esroc
May 31, 2010

The 100 again.

The double-standard that the characters apply to each other is so ridiculous as to be jarring. In the most recent episodes I've watched we have Kane arresting Bellamy for socking Murphy in the mouth, then helping Murphy up and brushing him off and then giving a speech about how Bellamy shouldn't behave like that. Yet he knows Murphy murdered two other kids and its implied he was sent to the ground in the first place for murder. But nooo, it's Bellamy who needs to be roughed up and put in cuffs, not the psychopath. And Kane gets on my nerves. The guy can't decide if he's a troubled good guy making the tough calls for the good of the people, or just a dick.

And then later boyscout Finn, who has spent the entire series so far trying to win an award for most angelic character who does no wrong, straight up slaughters half a village of unarmed women, children, and old timers for no logical reason. Which even Murphy thinks is royally hosed up. And yet Finn's massacre is brushed off as war collateral and everybody goes back to dogpiling on Murphy, who at least only revenge killed people who had tried to kill him. Executing a large group of innocent civilians in a fit of rage? Totally cool. Killing two kids who tried to kill you? Unforgivable.

It's also fun to see this show embrace the redshirt trope with such gusto. If any main characters wander outside of camp and have an extra in tow, not only is that extra not coming back but no one is going to bat an eyelash when they bite it.

I kind of love this show.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Here's one that's bugged me about Guardians Of the Galaxy

Why, in ~20 years, did Quinn never never open his mom's gift until the climax of the film? I can vaguely accept a mild through-line that he's actively been avoiding Earth and his past, but he obviously loved his mom and not opening it doesn't really make a ton of sense.

The fact that it doesn't make sense to you says all kinds of things about your relationships with your loved ones.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

mng posted:

I like to think about this clip when things get analyzed too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkMaxdhzzMw

That scene pissed me right the gently caress off and makes me irrationally angry at people who hold it up as a good example of how to handle storytelling. Telling your audience to shut up and not think about it is lazy and insulting. If you put any effort in as a writer to keep everything consistent and plot holes to a minimum then you wouldn't need to beg your audience not to ask questions.

Looper makes me so goddamn mad at movies. gently caress that movie , gently caress everyone who thought it was even remotely good, and gently caress everyone involved in its creation.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Memento posted:

I get that a lot of people hate the movie because of that scene, and I agree with you that telling your audience to shut and and watch is dumb (unless you're Mastodon at the start of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie, or Austin Powers) but it's a movie about time travel and like all movies about things that will always be impossible, it's kind of nice to just be entertained.

I thought it was entertaining. They could have left out the bit with "shut up and watch it you idiots who give us money" easily and people would be a lot less offended by it.

Admittedly, I apparently wasn't Loopers target demographic. Which probably had a lot to do with why I hated it so much. I'm one of those nerds who when I watch a time travel movie I prepare a pencil and notepad before I even hit play. I enjoy mapping it all out as I watch. In a box in my closet I have a half a spiral notebook worth of Terminator notes for god sakes. And you don't even want to see my Primer notebook. So to go into Looper with this mindset, and have the film essentially say people like me are idiots, felt like a personal insult. I get that maybe the method with which I enjoy time travel movies isn't for everybody, but there was no need to blatantly insult me over it. Had that scene not been included I would have let Looper fall into obscurity and never thought about it again.

On a related note, Coherence irritates me. I've watched it twice and something just doesn't add up. Certain aspects of the plot only make sense if we assume the girl who arrived late to the party at the beginning of the film was the first person to jump realities, but that would mean she jumped before the realities converged so the timing is way off. And then throughout the film they make it very clear that the convergence took place on that night and all the realities are the same as before convergence and only began to differ afterwards. But then in the last ten minutes they throw this out the window so one of the girls can find a reality where she achieved her dream career. These two instances combined irritate me because Coherence is a drat good film and unless I'm missing something major then it appears the script was written by one set of very competent writers, and then someone else with a red pen and no concept of consistency jumped in undid it all.

Esroc has a new favorite as of 15:00 on Jan 21, 2015

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

gently caress, you're so right. You can shine a flashlight on them and practically set them on fire.

Watching Fringe and the two universes have merged... in a way. Olivia is upset that Peter had sex with Fauxlivia (her not - really evil double) but not a single person brings up that he was raped via deceit and he's practically the bad guy for loving his girlfriend's identical double; thinking it was her.

This is actually really common in TV and film, and it's just one more thing that says a lot about the media's attitude toward women. Any time another woman displays sexual advances or something similar on a taken man, that man's significant other will blame him for it regardless of circumstances. Perpetuating the attitude that all women are spiteful bitches. This just happened on an episode of Roseanne I was watching where another girl kisses Leonard without him expecting it and he immediately tells the girl to gently caress off, and Darlene still yells at him and breaks up with him over it. The only women I've ever met who would actually act that way live alone with a lot of cats.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Lucy: Doctor Manhattan as written by someone with no imagination.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

WickedHate posted:

I've never seen Lucy, but I've thought about this cliche before and it really bothers me. A bigger/better brain would just increase your ability and capacity to learn, not give you a bunch of random knowlege.

I took it as more of that she was "connected" to reality in a way normal people aren't. It's not that she suddenly knew everything, it was that she could conjure up the information she needed from reality itself or something.

But gently caress if I know. Trying to make sense of Lucy is an exercise in futility. I couldn't stand that she had limitless reality bending powers but still used physical means of defeating her enemies, walked everywhere, and otherwise acted like a human still bound by physics. She could have easily blinked everyone out of existence, teleported, and yanked information she needed straight out of peoples brains.

As I said, she's Doctor Manhattan as written by someone with no imagination.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

She can control gravity.
She super fast so the lap is now super fast.

And I have no idea what the gently caress happened in the airplane.

The powers were starting to burn her body up at the atomic level. So she ingested more of the drug to unlock more powers so she could physically pull her body back together and rebuild it.

At first she was concerned that her body would burn up and kill her, but I think what we were supposed to take away from the airplane scene was the increased dose pushed her to a level where the burnup was no longer an issue but now she had the inevitable result of becoming so powerful as to remove herself from the human condition entirely. So she replaced one ticking clock with another.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Synonamess Botch posted:

I saw 1408 on acid and to this day I maintain that it is the scariest movie ever

I saw Paranormal Activity 3 in a crowded theater on an eighth of shrooms and I was bored out of my mind. The PA franchise sucks.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I was a little disappointed by Pacific Rim, but with Del Toro at the helm I was hoping for something more Evangelion when in reality it was more Godzilla meets Power Rangers. If I'd known that going in, I could have been in the right mindset and appreciated it more, I think.

Speaking of, its sorta a Irritating Movie Momemnt, but at the same time its what made me realize the movie wasn't trying to be Evangelion at all but instead was more Super Sentai;

They fight with Gypsy Danger several times, against a few different kaiju, and its like okay, here's what the robot can do: It punches stuff. That's how it fights.
Then all of a sudden in the middle of a fight where they're losing, its like "HEY remember that super-secret power sword that we never mentioned earlier? Lets use that to defeat this guy really easily" :rolleyes:
They should have mentioned earlier that they had a power sword, but they couldn't use it more than once or something so they had to save it, and then forget about it for awhile only to bring it out in the 3rd act, like a Chekhov's gun.

But again, its what made me realize the movie is literally Super Sentai. They do the exact same thing, where they fight hand-to-hand (with giant robots?) for a long time, seem to be losing, then all of a sudden its "hey guys, lets use that sword!" and they 1-shot the enemy.
Why the gently caress don't you guys just open with the sword? You'd be done. Nothing ever survives the sword.

This is why I loved Pacific Rim so much. :allears: I love Japanese film in general and never in my life had I entertained the notion I'd ever get to see a high-budget Hollywood tokusatsu film that stays so true to the source material. Del Toro really went out of his way to capture the tropes I've grown to appreciate in things like Super Sentai and Ultraman.

It kind of gives me hope for the rumored Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers movie I've heard murmurs about. If it shows even half the love toward the genre that Pacific Rim did then I'm going to throw as much money at that movie as I can spare.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

mustard_tiger posted:

How many revenge flicks have you seen where the main protagonist avenges his wife's death? I think it was better this way.

Yeah. The whole point of the dog being the breaking point that sends him on a rampage was intentionally to subvert the "revenge for dead spouse/kid/parent" trope that is so common in action movies.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

This reminds me of an irrationally irritating moment of my own.

Dark Knight Rises:
"You should use your full name, I like that name. Robin."

Robin was the superhero alter ego identity, it was never the name of the character. Even then, its just way too explicit, like HEY YOU GUYS. Comeon Nolan, have some more subtlety. :rolleyes:

If the line was just "You should use your full name" that'd be a nice wink that there was something else going on, people could have figured it out. Or if she called him Jason Todd or Dick Grayson or something.
But no, better make it clear "HEY ROBIN! HOW'S BATMAN?"

I know, I'm a huge nerd. But it bothered the hell out of me.

It bugged me because I seem to remember there being no point in the story where it was crucial his name be spoken until that scene. Nolan could have just avoided having his name be spoken at all and likely no one would have noticed while watching, and then he could've dropped the Dick Grayson bomb at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

The best part of the new American movie is that they are pretty much going "well we can't loving stop this thing so let's just let it do what it's doing". Godzilla's main motivation seems to usually be that he hates imitations of himself or other creatures existing on a similar scale to him, so if you can learn to live around Godzilla he'll take care of all the other monsters for you.

There was a series of Godzilla novels several years back where the characters got this. The humans basically just kept tabs on Big G and evacuated populated areas in his path, but otherwise left him alone until they needed to steer him toward a more unpredictable monster.