Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
That whole goddamn sequence is irritating. Take those stupid rear end goggles off. Hostages, if you can't drop the weapons then throw yourselves on the floor. Swat just use flashbangs, and Gordon get a goddamn grip.

I might poison the well with this, but barring some scenes, I really like Rises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Kruller posted:

If it is incredibly important for someone to answer the call you are about to make, without fail the person you are calling will have their phone in another room and on vibrate. At no point will the person ever have a ringer turned on on their phone, or have their phone on them. Also, the vibrate function on their phone is the weakest, quietest vibrate in existence.

If the person happens to have their ringer turned on, they will be in the shower.

This is so incredibly loving annoying, especially when that person is desperately waiting to hear back from someone who they love and is potentially in danger.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
That awful WB series about witches Charmed actually did something entertaining with that. One of the main characters had telekinesis ,but unlike her ancestor who had the same power, she was able to move things without having to wave her hands around like an idiot.

Instead she rolleded her eyes around like an idiot.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
Those roar moments are sincerely my favorite part of the movie, that and the fatality.

The holes though, the first was understandable , the second was just silly.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Chernabog posted:

In the new Godzilla:

Why did the female monster have eggs before meeting with the male monster? Also, How did it know that the nuclear bomb would explode, providing the babies with the radiation they needed? Speaking about that, if fire could destroy the babies, one would assume that a freaking nuclear explosion would kill them as well. Why were the military using airplanes if they knew the monsters had EMP shocks? Why did Godzilla even want to kill the monsters so bad? Certainly not to eat them.

Yeah, I know it is supposed to just be a dumb action movie.

Regarding Godzilla:

Many organisms, if not the majority produce eggs that only need to be fertilized. That's the extent of the males participation.

The monster didn't know it would explode it merely wanted the radiation from the fissile material.

The army was using airplanes in places the didn't know the monsters were at yet.

And Godzilla killed them simply because he didnt want them around as competition, they was steppin on his turf!

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
I'm not touching the other stuff, but them some bad math skills.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I stopped watching House after a few seasons, was it ever lupus?

It was actually lupus one time. I think it was a time no else suggested it and even he was surprised.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
This always bothered me as well, so many hotdogs and coffees wasted. :negative:

What really annoys me are those same cops complaining about their lovely pay. Of course your broke you literally throw money away!

That brings me to another annoyance when some character bemoans that he has a crap 40k a year salary. Where I'm from 40k a year is a shitload. Way more than an average Joe around here is ever going to make.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
The time travel was a last resort, their ideal prize was 24th century Earth with all its infrastructure and what not.

Which makes the scene where they scan alt-Earth and realize its full of borg really stupid considering that prior to that the borg just showed assimilated or killed everyone took their poo poo and hosed off.
They never just hung around planets lounging about.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
The initial purpose of the serum wasn't to suppress his powers. Beast made it so he could walk again, the unintended consequence was that it ended suppressing his powers.

In short Dr. McCoy can only make useful things by accident.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
Bringing back the X-Men chat, If im not mistaken Xavier was never paralyzed. The boulder just crushed his legs beyond repair.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
As long as we're talking about Nolan...

I can't stand the way his films are edited, scenes change at breakneck speeds but the story progresses so slowly as to make all that urgency unnecessary.
I mean watch the first ten minutes of TDR after the joker's debut, it's just a barrage of 5 second scenes that cut out while characters are mid sentence.

Memento and Insomnia don't have that problem, but every thing post Batman Begins has the same annoying habit.

Also Guy Pearce as batman would have been sooooo awkward.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
I really think Peter not tapping into his full potential is partly due to a lot of writers insisting on keeping him a perpetual teenager who can't prioritize or keep his personal life in check

You see he's too busy fighting supercrime to get his life in order, even though there are people out there who work at jobs with incredible amount of pressure and responsibility yet manage to keep their poo poo together.

Personally I really liked it when he was a teacher, I could relate to him better as a young adult, rather than some kid who takes blurry photographs for poo poo money to buys his aunt arthritis meds and web fluid ingredients.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
If the small bit you can see in the latest preview of Horn is any indication, Daniel Radcliffe's american accent is pretty good.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Big Grunty Secret posted:

I got through most of L.A. Confidential before I realized that Russell Crowe and Kevin Spacey were different people.

How is this even possible, besides the obvious visual aspect, they sound and act nothing alike. You must have thought he was some sort of schizophrenic cop who was simultaneously a loose cannon and a sly playboy/wanne be actor cop.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
In some other thread, now lost to sands of time, someone posted a video about the huge gently caress off machine developed for the animators at Disney, it allowed them to change background and foreground cels more easily ( to avoid the type of static backgrounds you'd see in an old Scooby doo cartoon)and I think illuminate each one independently.

It was interesting because in the video Walt Disney seems hugely proud of that thing and now its probably sitting in a warehouse somewhere collecting dust.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
Doesnt the t-800 specifically mention that the t-1000 is composed of a polymimetic alloy that can simulate organic material thus allowing it to travel back in time.

Or maybe Skynet just made it turn into a small ball and stuck it inside a bag'o flesh and sent it through.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
I was re watching Layer Cake, and it never made since to me why XXXX just straight up disses Dragan (the Serbian assassin who is going around cutting peoples heads off) over the phone like if he was some chump. Especially since Dragan was being so cordial and politely asking questions rather than just catching XXXX and torturing the poo poo out of him.

Also while i'm on Daniel Craig films, is it me or does M just make terrible decisions throughout the entire film. First she orders Naomie Harris to take a risky shot for no real reason. I mean Bond is still fighting the guy, they are on a train , trains only move on rails! Just get someone to meet it on the other side or the next station. They later mention that the CIA was already monitoring the guys movements so why all the mystery?

Later on she sends Bond and Harris to Macau in order to rectify the earlier bungled mission, M sends the same exact agents who allegedly hosed it up in the first place, hell one of them isn't even fully trained and the other isn't fit for duty. Their seem to be only three agents in the whole of MI6 , including one who died in the first 5 minutes.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

Actually there's another verse in the full version of the song where he talks about the plane ride!

The whole intro (which I've only seen once) actually shows him getting on the plane.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Crumps Brother posted:

What you stated never once happens in the movie. The problem is that you're inserting "facts" about time travel that the movie never states or uses. The movie is completely consistent with itself in that each time a past person is hosed with the future person receives the physical changes immediately *and nothing else happens*. This poo poo is fiction and time travel can happen however the movie wants it to happen. Sorry it doesn't work like you want it to work, but the movie never fudges its own logic.

Don't they show that same character in a later scene being kept alive but maimed and captive until they could send back in time?

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
I was responding to the poster who said that everytime he lost a piece of himself then that should have shifted his circumstances, since that tends to happen to people who get maimed.

The film makes it clear that his circumstances wont change, no matter what pieces he loses, since his past self is always going to be captive. As to why he sees the changes occuring bit by bit, well its because it makes for a cool and creepy as hell scene.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Memento posted:

I know what's wrong with them. They're non-existent.

No but seriously, I have never encountered anyone who holds up FMJ as a movie that shows the awesome-ness of being in the military. Lots of people hold it up as shining a harsh light on just how hosed up you can get when a monolithic institution psychologically breaks you and then remolds you to be a machine of aggression and how not everyone makes it through that process. The second part of the movie is also held up as a good example of just how stupid and futile war really is.

Back when I was in high school there was group of students who would gather in their free period for a "film club". They must of watched FMJ like 4 times in one semester, all the while hooting and hollering about how awesome being in the marines is.

Best part is they werent even really americans.

To contribute, I caught part of an episode of Law and Order, and it reminded me of this tired exchange:

ADA: I need to see a list of ________or the name of ________.

Accountant: That information is confidential.

ADA: What if I get a subpoena?

Accountant: Oh no! Here take it!

Substitute accountant with whatever profession involves being discrete, but they always roll right over instead of just telling them to get the subpoena or telling them to contact their lawyers.

Mister Nobody has a new favorite as of 09:46 on Dec 23, 2014

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It's really god drat hard to find the CSI New York Second Life cyberchase (the episode is called Down the Rabbit Hole); at some point they must have realized that it's mother loving ridiculous, so they've tried really really hard to scrub it from the internet.

Saw an episode the other day where they get witnesses by beating the neighborhood toughs at handball, not to mention the absurdity of a crime scene technician talking to witnesses and suspects.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Danger Mahoney posted:

The wife got me to binge watch Arrow with her. It's not bad for a show aimed at teenagers, but I got irrationally hung up on the name of that super soldier serum they're always going on about. If you haven't seen the show, there's this drug that makes people super strong and fast. Whatever. But in the story it was made by Japanese scientists who named it "mirakuru" which is a fake loan-word of "miracle". Thing is, the very white characters keep pronouncing it "mee-rah-koo-roo". Its name is literally an English word. Why keep saying it like you are trying to emulate a Japanese accent? It's like if they were on a mission to recover the world's best Japanese burger and kept referring to it as "the hahn-bah-goo".

Never watched that far into Arrow, but it sounds like their trying to be clever and eventually segue into getting the characters to call it miraclo. I say trying, because like you said, they just sound silly.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
That's usually referred to as the Baader Meinhoff phenomenon. When you finally learn about a thing or concept and then start taking notice of mentions or references to it.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
My irritating daredevil moment is that the old lady whose first language is spanish, is pretty bad at speaking it. Seriously, even Matt and and Karen spoke it better.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Bogmonster posted:

You mean Burn Gorman? He totally was channelling Mark Heap, I never realised that before. He did basically the same character in a recent episode of Always Sunny as well.

Actually, that's related to a moment in Layer Cake that irritated me. His character is shown to be more careful, intelligent and less haphazard than his boss - so why is he an underling until his boss is out of the picture? It felt odd in a film that seemed to be all about showing the realistic side of British gangster movies.

More intelligent than the duke is still pretty loving dumb.

What I don't understand is why was everybody worried about Monty getting in trouble for kicking the poo poo out of Freddie, I mean he was in a coma and X certainly was going to rat him out, so who would ever link him to the crime?

Mister Nobody has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Jun 28, 2015

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
It's weird watching Capitan Nascimiento working with his mortal enemies. (Wagner Moura basically plays Carillo in the Elite Squad series).

Mister Nobody has a new favorite as of 22:00 on Sep 24, 2015

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Jmcrofts posted:

If it were me I'd just fly to Australia, live there for a year, then fly back and repeat. Walking across the pacific ocean is quite a trek.

It's been mentioned before in this thread I believe, the creators said it's capable of getting on a plane in order to follow you.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
My irrationally irritating Prometheus moment is in the Weyland Ted speech video. He smugly mentions that T.E Lawrence anecdote like it's some obscure piece of trivia.

I hadn't seen Lawrence of Arabia yet, so imagine my surprise when that moment is literally like in the first ten minutes.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Taeke posted:

Hear hear!

Seriously, if these things are genuine irritating movie moments for you you need to reevaluate your attitude to film because believe it or not, especially in scifi, suspension of disbelief is kind of a requirement for the whole thing to work.

This really is an enjoyable thread mostly, especially when it's pointed out a film breaks its own rules, but lets not get bogged down on realistic impracticalities because really, there'd be no end in sight.

I'll post something worthwhile once I'm done travelling and not on my phone, but maybe some of you can point out the difference between suspension of disbelief ans genuine plot holes/irritating movie moments in the last film I saw: Minority Report.

There should be plenty to say about that one.

In Minority Report they make it clear that the precogs can only detect premeditated murders, but if Tom Cruise's character had shot that dude he was accused of shooting, it clearly would have been manslaughter. He did it in a fit of rage and without any premeditation what so ever, hell the bad guys plan hinged on it.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Nobody used the lasgun/shield thing as a weapon because it was inconsistent. It could have the strength of an atomic blast or it could just kill the person firing the gun.

Yes, that was the big reveal at the end, he didn't have one so he actually was going to do it.

IIRC there was supposed to be something about the wood that made them impossible to fake, so you couldn't just have one made and claim they had a vision.

It was that beautiful all natural wood grain hand wittled by a mutant artisan.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Darth Freddy posted:

I think I am one of the few people that likes the Lynch Dune, but I had been watching it since I was like 5/6 (my mom was weird) I read the books latter on and do like them better then the movie but the movie is still great.

One general stroke. Charters who have seen amazing things, out of the norm, fantastic magical things etc but as soon as new things happen we get the entire thing of "that's not possible" "I refuse to believe it"

Jurassic world. You have your multi billion dollar creation in a cage but don't bother with more then a handful of cameras. "Were those claw marks always there?" "The cameras don't pick him up in the cage!"

Ohh I don't know how about rewind all the cameras to the last time you saw it and watch to see if it escaped. Oh it didnt? And the tracking device shows it still there? Guess that fucker has camouflage.

Oh look boss there's hundreds of flying carnivores headed to out guests if there was only some way to stop them like some kind of tracking device that can also stun the animal. No? Oh well.

Not to mention how boss lady waits until she is halfway back to the main park area before calling the control room and telling them to activate the tracker. What in the gently caress was she waiting for, why didn't she do it the moment they suspected it escaped.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Elissimpark posted:

Watched Spectre last night and was IIMM'd when Mr Hinx kills the dude at the Spectre meeting in Rome to show his "credentials".

They had one agent position to fill (Sciara's) but now they have to replace the dead dude as well. Hope there's someone who knows what's what in his office.

Plus they'll have to get someone to take over Mr Hinx's position. Being an evil HR supervisor must suck.

Also, they seemed to make a deal about Hinx's thumbnails - ooh, must be his gimmick!

But no, we don't see them again, not even for an ironic death where Bond turns his gimmick back on him.

Boo.

I'm pretty sure Hinx and the other guy were just contract killers auditioning for the job as spectre's premier assassin.

The thumbnail thing was really weird though, I definitely thought we would have seen more of that.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
I'm gonna be 100 percent honest and take the flak that comes with it, but I much prefer Cutthroat Island over any of them Pirates of the Caribbean films.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

There was a super confusing part where she was the actual lady brought back to life but the female lead was her reincarnated?

In The Mummy the titular character confuses the female lead with his lost love and tries to summon her soul into the leads body. In Return turns out the female lead is actually some other character the mummy should recognize. Absolutely no attempts are made to explain how the mummy could ever mistake the two.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
Some of those things aren't really coincidences though, like the fact that the father was an air traffic controller is just a thing, and I'm sure plane wreckage landed all over the neighborhood and not just Walter's house.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
The other missing people included some hunters who were mentioned very clearly as having gone missing in the Mirkwood.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

dordreff posted:

I hate the Netflix Daredevil series for not featuring him enough, actually. Like sure, he's there for the episodes, but in season 1 he had almost nothing to do with the actual downfall of Fisk - he just happened to be causing a little trouble at the same time as Fisk's own personal issues hosed him up. In the half of season 2 I watched before giving up on it, it was all about the Punisher and again Daredevil just kinda showed up and did incidental poo poo until the Irish mob hosed Punisher up enough for him to get all sad in a graveyard, at which point it suddenly changes from "oh no I inspired a bad man" to "this man is perfect and misunderstood and must be protected" for no reason. Motherfuckers I am here for magic ninja fights, not for some pointless libertarian wetdream piece of poo poo.

Those ninjas were like the worst part of season 2.

Which leads me to my irrationally irritating daredevil moment, you get a whole season of the hand preparing a magical resurrection vessel which takes them months and tons of resources to make. One would think this is something they save for special occasions, but then you get a whole scene dedicated to how some faceless ninja minion(whogets taken out like a punk) seems to have been resurrected several times. I guess resurrection is harder in hells kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Not really. I get that they're saying "it's bad", but how does that manifest? What do they mean? What are they talking about? What would have been different if they'd hired "someone who knows how to film great fight scenes"? And "the fight scenes would have been better" isn't a useful answer. What was wrong with the fight scenes? What should they have done differently? I watched the show. The fight scenes didn't strike me as better or worse than any other super hero show or movie I've seen. Like, you mention Daredevil, but I didn't notice a difference between the two. The fights are just fights. That corridor fight that everyone goes on about in Daredevil - I don't know what's supposed to be so great about it, it was just another fight scene. They mostly just kill time between the talky bits. :shrug:

That's the issue right there, you are not supposed to gloss over the fight scenes and they aren't supposed to just kill time, in action,and especially martial arts, films and shows they are the main event, the meat of the whole thing. So they better be up to snuff and entertaining otherwise why even watch them?

It seems you just want a drama with the trappings of action but without any real physical conflict.