Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ever have that thing about a movie that really shouldn't bother you, but it just loving does? That thing that you mention to your friends and they go "what, you're crazy, I'm a mindless consumer of visual media and that doesn't bother me at all!" and then you just stare angrily at them until they go away? That thing that ruined an otherwise good movie for you because you just couldn't get over it (and who could blame you?)? This is the thread where you post about that thing. It doesn't matter how big or small it is, if it bugs you, post about it here and other people will probably quote it and go "yep that bothers me too". Sometimes movie directors don't know anything about movie directing, it happens.

There aren't really any obligatory thread rules other than don't start poo poo about movies you like that someone else didn't like, nobody cares.

edit: Following a few big text dumps I have decided to ask that if you have lots and lots of complaints, rational or not, please stagger them over a handful of posts instead of just pooping them out in one big one. It makes you look a little crazy.

I will start us off with an example from any given found-footage movie that has a scene with in-world music: Rarely if ever do I hear the music in the scene be cut with the camera jump cuts and it's a really annoying continuity error!

But it's not just movies, you can post about other forms of media too. Here is a post of mine that talks about the worst stock sound in television:

CJacobs posted:

Reality television sucks and is always at least partly staged in both the US and the UK, but the for-TV editing in the UK versions of Gordon Ramsay's programs eek them out as better. I've already talked in this thread about the US version and that loving editing-for-emphasis sound effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxPMUcEOr6Q&t=79s

You know the sound effect.

So go nuts, have fun, get mad at movies. Just don't take them too seriously and write a 3000 word essay on Elysium like that one guy did.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:08 on Apr 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That annoying buzzsaw sound they play whenever something "shocking" happens on any reality TV show ever. I noticed it once and now I can't stop!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ahhhh man, having no signal in a time of crisis. I'm glad they still use it in movies today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIZVcRccCx0

I also like the trope of people yelling "Come on, COME ON!! GUUARGHH" at technology when it's not working in their time of need. :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZboyfaVLM4

Thy do it with video games too.

"You hold the high score in virtually every massively multiplayer online role playing game! :downs:"

"Can you get to level ten? *plays Prince of Persia*"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The same also happened in Shaun of the Dead. Pegg likes being authentic. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I loving hate the Star Wars fandom. The wiki just makes me sad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would rename this thread PYF Instantly Unfunny Joke but you can't rename your own threads anymore unfortunately.

Been watching House MD recently on Netflix, which is not a movie, but it does contain a couple of the most irritating elements of a serial TV show: Namely how formulaic the A-story always is. I love the show, really I do. The characters are great and the B-story is almost always interesting, but the patient-of-the-week side of it is almost always the same thing.

In the first act, something is wrong with the patient but we dunno what it is!! Let's throw out some doctor-y words so the viewers remember this is a hospital show too. In the second act, we and/or House tried something but it didn't work and now the patient is worse! gently caress!! In the third act, House talks to a member of his team or Wilson and either he says something and stops in mid-sentence or someone else says something that gives him the magical cure to the patient's illness, complete with the camera zooming in slowly on his awed expression. In the denouement, the patient is now fine and the B-story has usually been resolved.

Again, it shouldn't bother me because I still really love the show and it's supposed to be more about the B-story anyway (some would argue that the patients ARE the B-story), but god drat my eyes hurt from rolling them so hard when nobody listens to House in the second act despite him always being right in the third.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:45 on Jun 15, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It does make the episodes where they change it up stand out a lot, I will say that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Haha, the show just took a shot at its own formula; Cuddy asked House how he was going to figure out the patient's real problem and he said he was gonna go talk to Wilson about something totally unrelated and see what happens. I'm glad they're self-aware about it.

edit: Oh man, this entire episode revolves around her, so the glimpses you see of the normal characters have them doing what they normally do. I love the episodes where you get to see an episode of House from the outside, man I love this show. :allears:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Jun 15, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Two things. A) I agree with you, Michael Bay's movies suck for more reasons than just his explosion fetish, and B) your post is a fuckin' mess dude.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God drat it do I hate movies that do the whole "start sentence- jump cut to a different scene -finish sentence" thing. As if a real person would just hold in the last two words of a sentence until the exact right moment when something else is happening.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

shock.wav posted:

This can also go horribly wrong. In Buffy The Vampire Slayer (TV) any scenes with Oz' band playing feature Seth Green on guitar, and he looks like he learnt to play the guitar for that role so he didn't appear to be faking when on camera.

The result is a 'professional' band rocking out on stage while the guitarist looks like he's playing Bad Moon Rising at his 6th grade recital.

This worked out well in House MD because Hugh Laurie, like House, actually does play the piano/guitar/harmonica/whathaveyou. He even composed a couple of songs for the show.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That reminds me of how there are points in movies where the character recalling the events is not present and therefore can't know what was said after they left. Or, like, when a character recalls something that was said by another character when they weren't present, or little logical inconsistencies like that.

I'm still chewing through House MD and they make reference to this in pretty much every episode that's told in frame story format. Most recently, House was talking to his therapist about the patient-of-the-week, and in his story he leaves the room. He tells the therapist that after he left, the rest of his team was commenting on how dumb and inept they are compared to him; and when the therapist asks what they really said, he just makes this "come onnn :smug:" face.

And then it cuts to the real scene where they're poo poo talking how he was wrong about his initial diagnosis of the patient.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:58 on Jun 26, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am also among the people who immediately hate the movie just based on its stupid, stupid premise. Then again they say you can't judge a book by its cover, so maybe it'll be great.

edit: Just watched the trailer and nope I'm wrong this looks terrible.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 09:17 on Jul 2, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You were so concerned about that element of the fight that I bet you didn't notice the part where Neo throws a Smith into a bunch of Smiths and they fall over like bowling pins complete with bowling pin strike sound effects.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Supreme Allah posted:

In Pulp Fiction when the Wolf says 'That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.' A 30 minute drive in 10? And by the way if you're worried about getting pulled over for random crap like a tail-light then 'I drive real fuckin' fast so keep up' doesn't sound so brilliant.

Reminds me of that god-awful In Time movie with Justin Tim(e)berlake. A lady is almost out of time to live (it makes sense in context) and so she can't pay for the bus ride fee. Her nearest source of more time to live is at home; it's an hour and a half walk or something and she's only got an hour to live!! The bus driver, who is a total dickbag, says "then you'd better run."

Then this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfjhlsOfF5U&t=341s

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Perhaps I should put a "stagger your complaints if you have a lot of them" suggestion in the OP.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not a movie, but it happens in Dead Space 3. It turns out that the angry dickbag meathead ship captain actually sold Isaac and co. out to the bad guy, oh no, big shock! Isaac and the co-op buddy ward off the big bad and face captain dickface down once and for all; Isaac tries to resolve the situation with yelling but dickface pulls a gun and it ends in a shootout. When Isaac gets back to the rest of his team with co-op buddy in tow, he somehow neglects to mention that the dude was literally trying to kill him before Isaac pulled a Han-shot-first on him, and the next half hour is spent with everyone but the co-op buddy mad at Isaac because he just doesn't tell them the whole story for some reason.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The ridiculous, annoying, painful deus ex machina that solves everything at the end of World War Z made me hate the entire god drat movie. It's seriously high school fanfiction level of writing quality.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree. Pretty much the only major safe haven in an entire country is totally compromised just because he happened to be there!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm glad this thread is helping me reinforce my belief that zombie media is goddamn awful. Like sure, zombies are fine I guess, but when you try to justify it with real life poo poo only to half-rear end it and go "IT'S BECAUSE OF THIS AND THIS and who really knows in the end I guess THAT THE ZOMBIES ARE ABLE TO FUNCTION" it all falls apart immediately.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It's a gross misrepresentation, and at no point does Patrick Jane get a cop killed. I also don't remember him ever putting peanuts in any guns. He does remove bullets occasionally. Really, it's not a bad show if you remember, he's not a cop, and he doesn't actually care about proof, just about being the smartest guy in the room.

This is also the best way to watch House because even though that is the case, House always ends up being right and so he wins out in the end even if he pulls six-degrees-of-separation levels of logic in the final diagnosis.

I can think of maybe half a dozen times when he made the final diagnosis and then was wrong, and one of those is because he got shot and the whole episode was a hallucination.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

AFewBricksShy posted:

Was it ever lupus?

There was an episode where, yes, it was lupus. It was suggested way early on in the episode and House shot it down because it's never lupus. :rolleyes:

My favorite missed diagnosis thing on House was the episode with the blind dude. The key symptom that brought everything together went unnoticed by the team because it was an eye issue, which they did not look at because the dude didn't have working eyes in the first place. It was somehow equal parts realistic and unrealistic that they wouldn't catch it.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:07 on Jul 24, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like that they basically never show the dog and/or other animals dying because it'd be ~too sad~. Whenever there is carnage everywhere, if there is an animal on screen, the safest place for any human to be is within a three foot radius of the drat thing.

edit: In fact, in Man of Steel, not showing the dog dying is a critical(ly stupid) plot point. :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Canemacar posted:

Are there any movies were the hero proves their innocence, but gets promptly arrested anyway for assaulting officers and resisting arrest?

Technically happens in Max Payne (the video game, not the movie). Max has secured JUST enough evidence of the baddies' wrongdoings to preserve his innocence along with the help of the corrupt dude on the inside, but he gets arrested at the end of the game anyway because, despite being a cop, he did kinda go on a big gunslinging mobster-killing rampage through new york that ended with the murder of the CEO of one of the nation's biggest pharmaceutical companies.

By Max Payne 2 he's back on the force as a detective so obviously it didn't stick v:v:v

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Jul 28, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite one is the infamous scene where DC gets blown the gently caress up in Independence Day and they show a dog leaping away from the massive fireball to safety after literally hundreds of humans are vaporized on-camera in the preceding 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lydpulKkJ-Q&t=200s

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's the dude on the inside I was talking about. This guy:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

oldpainless posted:

I remember watching the 1963 version of The Lord of the Flies and when Piggy is killed by a rock I burst out laughing

This happened to me too. It looks so goofy and dumb that I couldn't take it seriously.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The makeup in TWD has also taken a hit since AMC cut the show's budget early on. In season 1 it was really well done but now a lot of the zombie effects are either also CGI or just kinda poorly put together. Sometimes you still get moments where they're like "Oh right, this is a zombie show better make the zombies look good" but of late it's been kinda meh.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really like when that happens in movies because it shows that the ambushers have a sense of humor. They wait until JUST after the heroes have realized they're hosed before they reveal themselves, usually with dramatic background music clatter and shots of the heroes swinging their heads around like idiots.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I liked the new Spiderman 2 movie where the obligatory credits thing was literally just a clip/trailer for the new X-Men movie. It was so loving lazy that I couldn't help but laugh. There isn't even anything after the credits, the trailer cuts in about 30 seconds into them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of Spiderman 2, what a loving awful movie it was. I loved it.

Inzombiac posted:

That was because the director had to cut a deal to film Spider-Man 2 when he should have been working on Xmen, I think. He was allowed to disrupt the schedule provided that the trailer was in the credits.

:allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's awesome/hilarious/terrible. Some weird amalgamation of the three.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What's even more annoying is when the guy has basically no redeeming features and only gets the girl at the end because he's the protagonist and otherwise it wouldn't be a rom-com and would just be a normal com, see: Every romantic comedy Dane Cook has ever been in.

edit: Although I guess with Dane Cook it wouldn't really be a comedy either. Hmm.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Finally someone else recognizes my complaint from the OP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdE2VdasvEU

:siren:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I already knew Christian Bale is from the UK but people are always surprised when I tell them he's not American or they hear his normal speaking voice so I guess that means he does a good job?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Super heroes that live in the same universe" comics/movies having to constantly justify their existence even with throwaway lines is pretty funny to me. Comic book nerds are the very first people to say "hold on, that doesn't make sense" in a world where people can fly and shoot lasers from their eyes and smash buildings with their faces or whatever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Conversely, Sean Bean speaking in an American voice can be anywhere between passable and goddamn hilarious (Silent Hill and Revelation 3D).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lucy is such a goddamn stupid movie with a goddamn stupider premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Silent Hill Revelation 3D is a terrible movie, but that's also relevant to this discussion because the audio balancing in that piece of garbage is but a smaller piece of the same garbage that forms the big garbage ball that it is. Quiet scenes are way too loving quiet, and the loud poo poo is way too loving loud to the point where you can actually hear the audio clipping on the final movie release. It's so bad. Oh my god it's so bad.