Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Thomas Crowne Affair (Brosnan, not McQueen). He steals that Monet by putting it in that fancy briefcase, closes the briefcase thereby FOLDING THE CANVAS AND STRETCHER IN HALF, and walks out the front door. Next scene, Monet comes right out of the briefcase in pristine condition as if nothing happened (I.e., the stretcher isn't fractured).

The commentary states that they originally had a longer scene where he cut the stretcher so it would fold, but it ruined the pace of the scene and they just figured suspension of disbelief would cover them. I get that. However, why couldn't they just make the briefcase big enough to fit the painting flat so he didn't have to even fold it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

When Batman blatantly tries to murder Robin in Dark Knight Rises and Robin doesn't seem to give a poo poo.

Can you elaborate? I do not remember this scene.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Febreeze posted:

Yeah somewhere along the line they stopped being just dumb car racing movies and turned into Vin Diesel & Friends commit elaborate heists and wreck sweet cars in the process. It's barely about the cars anymore.

Jurassic World looks stupid. Raptor Buddies belongs in a different tone of movie, this one looks all typical monster flick "SCIENCE GONE MAD" then all of a sudden Chris Pratt is driving along with his friend raptors it doesn't match up. Might just be how the trailer is edited and obviously the movie might deliver, but the trailer made me sad.

I assumed he was being chased by them and is escaping on a motorbike, but I legitimately want Jurrasic World: Hell's Raptors to happen now.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

sinburger posted:

Lucy makes perfect sense. She gets an overdose of a drug that should have killed her but instead starts turning her into Akira. The brain % usage is just a symbolic count down timer. She contacts Morgan Freeman early on while she has some measure of humanity , and he convinces her to give mankind the sum total of all knowledge before she ascends. She turns into a computer and info dumps onto a swank USB drive, and then goes poof.

Riiiight, perfect sense.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

CJacobs posted:

For the record that isn't even what I was implying with the post, I was saying that the cliche itself of "the black guy dies first" does not have a racial undertone to it at all unless you give it one. It is a real cliche, but it's at least partly invented by the audience; but at the same time that does not magically make you be racist for doing so. I guess I phrased it poorly.

I don't know, man, it kind of seems like you are talking out of your rear end here. "Partially invented by the audience"? What does that even mean? Obviously the black guy doesn't die first in every movie (e.g. , The Thing), but it does seem to happen a disproportionate amount of times relative to the ratio of black people in major productions.

Also, can we talk about how disproportionately white most casts are in most tv and movies? At least in the USA, white people are a minority majority, but a US show is usually all white save one or two minorities, who are typically minor characters. I get that people naturally tend to group with their own ethnicities due to instinct, socio-economic factors, etc., but it just seems way over the top on tv, etc.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

cheerfullydrab posted:

Black people only make up 10-15% of the US population. So as long as you have 2 characters out of every 10 be black, you're good.

Despite what you have learned from movies, tv, and your country club membership and staff, there are other ethnicities besides black and white.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

cheerfullydrab posted:

I was actually raised in a castle where I was not allowed to see old age, sickness, death, or minorities.

Me too! :hfive: I just like to throw the proletariat a bone every once in a while. Typically quells the uprisings.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

ubachung posted:

Despite what you might think, the post you were responding did not dispute this in any way.

Despite what you think, you may have also missed the point. For sake of clarity, I did not think the quoted poster was unaware of other ethnicities or that he was defending white-heavy casting.

Edit: ooooh, nice biting quip there. Do you have a newsletter to which I can subscribe and learn from a true master?

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 02:29 on Feb 13, 2015

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I can't recall the exact dialog, but in First Class the moment that drug me out of the movie the fastest was when Shaw was talking about how humans are all wrong and evil and will keep mutants as SLAVES and then immediately :stare: at Darwin.

"Better to die on your feet then live on your knees" trope?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Nah, I'm used to that, it was just this big speech ending with SLAVES and then looking at the only black dude in the movie was kinda jarring.

Hahaha, ironically that flew right over my head.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Duke Igthorn posted:

“I don’t know about Mel. He got drunk and said a few things, but we’ve all said those things. We’re all loving hypocrites. That’s what I think about it. The policeman who arrested him has never used the word friend of the family or that loving Jew? I’m being brutally honest here. It’s the hypocrisy of it that drives me crazy. Or maybe I should strike that and say “the N word” and “the F word,” though there are two F words now.”

“Alec calling someone an F-A-G in the street while he’s pissed off coming out of his building because they won’t leave him alone. I don’t blame him. So they persecute. Mel Gibson is in a town that’s run by Jews and he said the wrong thing because he’s actually bitten the hand that I guess has fed him—and doesn’t need to feed him anymore because he’s got enough dough. He’s like an outcast, a leper, you know? But some Jewish guy in his office somewhere hasn’t turned and said, “That loving kraut” or “gently caress those Germans,” whatever it is? We all hide and try to be so politically correct. That’s what gets me. It’s just the sheer hypocrisy of everyone, that we all stand on this thing going, “Isn’t that shocking?” [smiles wryly] All right. Shall I stop talking now? What else can we discuss?”

In an interview with gossip site TMZ, the officer in question denied ever using such language. "I'm Jewish, and why would I say that to discredit my own religious makeup?" said former LA County sheriff's deputy James Mee. "The N-word is a scary word. I would never even dream of using it. It sickens me that anyone would use that word."

He added: "I feel sorry for people that need to say things about other people in order to justify themselves."

I think skinhead might be a little much if that's the end of the quote. Also, he played a black pimp in True Romance; Checkmate.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 06:38 on Feb 18, 2015

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Rysithusiku posted:

Someone tweet this to Stephen Hawking.

I've always wondered if, when you are famous, you are somehow always made aware of people referencing you. Like does your publicist call you up and say, "Stephen, you'll never believe how bat man just defeated his archnemesis this week..."

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

I think that's just in the Earth/Universe/Paradise X series which isn't necessarily the marvel universe as we generally know it. And which starts out interesting but sort of disappears up its own arse.

There is an entire comics sub forum.

Irrationally irritating movie moment: Robocop 2014 - what the hell was that pseudo explanation about how Murphy is now a robot who thinks he is a human, and that somehow is okay under the dreyfus act, which prohibits robot police/soldiers in the US.

Edit: VVVV ah, gotcha, I didn't realize it was a "but let's keep this between us" kind of thing.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 07:38 on Feb 25, 2015

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

A_Raving_Loon posted:

It's only '97 because that was far enough ahead of 1984 to be The Future!! and contain whatever technologies the writer says it does.

see also Demolition Man

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Len posted:

A gritty reboot where Wishbone is one of Michael Vicks dogs dreaming after a day of fights.

With a theme song by DMX

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

cheerfullydrab posted:

Hitler got saved by an oak table leg when they tried to blow him up.

Are you upset with the plot of Valkyrie? If you are, it's based on a true story the movie from the 60s (?) is much better than the Tom cruise remake.

Edit: well, I obviously can't read context. I see now you were responding to the "tables can't stop bullets" conversation.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Yea, I always took it as he has issues and nightmares about his wife, and when he got in the EH the ship went OH poo poo THIS NIGGA CRAZY I GOTTA GET ON THIS and decided he was the best chance of influence. Everyone else kinda had moved on past their own issues for the most part.

Doc was the only one shown to still have active issues at the time, iirc.

Apparently the EH went through a bad neighborhood in Hell.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

Wait, did people ITT really think that churches were like, always full of people? How would that even work? What would they be doing there?

I've always thought it was kind of hilarious how much otherwise viable building space sits idle for ~90% of the work week. I'm sure renting it out to local business owners would gently caress up religious tax exemptions, but drat if there isn't a ton of lost utility through only using a church on Sunday morning/afternoon (and maybe a few hours during the week). Basically, I want to run my office out of the local Catholic church; client interviews in a pew would be awesome.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

AA meetings and similar. The church I go to has at least one twelve-step meeting there every night.

Yes, but I want to run my divorce law practice out of the chapel.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

an overdue owl posted:

designed by the devil and powered by the dead

With quality assurance by Glenn Danzig.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Patattack posted:

Cool, glad to know you think she's ugly! :thumbsup:

(Maybe keep the original cast, and don't worry about shoehorning a conventionally attractive romance onto the characters? Even ignoring how problematic it is that a conventionally attractive man can't possibly be interested in a non-conventionally attractive woman...why couldn't he just have been Hunky Action Man?)

Lol, you sound fat.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Krinkle posted:

I know it's not fair I mean I only saw it in the first place because someone said it was and I said "well okay you sold me" and it wasn't.

Well this sure is an irrational stand you have taken here. At least it fits into the theme of the thread.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

The best wielder of Mjolnir is Throg, who in case you are unaware is a literal frog.

Beta Ray Bill :colbert:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Hahaha, that's great. Yeah I often think about how characters in Anime and Videogames often have helmets or beards or really huge collars (Auron in FFX) probably just to cover up their mouths because animating mouths is a TON of work, looks like crap if you don't try really hard, and doesn't really even add all that much.

Its the same thing with changing camera angles to look away from a character right as they talk, and then switching back to them when the other character is talking.

Irrationally irritating movie moment - I hate when a scene gets overdubbed (talking English movies here, because they screwed up the audio or because they couldn't record it at the same time) and its obvious. Sometimes the mouth doesn't match up at all but I guess Hollywood says 'good enough' ? I'm trying to think of examples here but I know I see it pretty often.

Even worse is when some character talks a bit and then walks off, and there's some parting shot line and its clear that was overdubbed in later and the character didn't actually say anything while they walked away.

Not irritating, but related is when theydub over foul language-heavy movies to make them suitable for TV. I was flipping through the channels a few years ago and White Men Can't Jump was onTNT or some poo poo, and there is a line when Rosie Perez jumps on Woody Harrelson's lap and says softly "Let's gently caress!", which in turn was dubbed into "Let's make love". Not only did the mouth movement not line up, the loving voice didn't even match up (I swear to god it sounded like a 40 year old white teamster said the dubbed line). I guess the only way to combat this would be to have the actor/actress provide voicing for a "clean" version at the time you film the movie, thouggh, which us likely costly.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Of course not, they're not criminals. They're citizens unjustly accused and deserve a good defense. Those other guys? They're criminals.

Everybody in jail is innocent.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Danger Mahoney posted:

Lol, most real-world fights are one awkward punch followed by grabbing each other and awkwardly wrestling until someone pulls them apart. Both of the combatants are usually crying a little because that's what adrenaline does to most people.

I'm too lazy to post the clip from Dazed and Confused that would be relevant here, but just imagine I had done so.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

poonchasta posted:

Why yes, I have observed that most real life fights involve getting paddled on the butt by Ben Affleck.

Wrong scene, but I see that you had a tough childhood.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

My IIMM with Desperado is when Antonio's band mates show up and wreck poo poo and then die. Those two guys were really cool but then kind of died like chumps and Antonio did not care at all.

This also annoyed me. particularly since they seem like such badasses, and then are killed by the first group of bad guys they encounter

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

sassassin posted:

It is very irritating to me that people can watch the 300 movies and not understand that the hypocrisy of the characters is intentional. They are deliberately over the top propaganda movies and you're not supposed to fall for it. The narration is always in character, from biased perspectives. In the first one the entire movie is revealed to be a story that one Spartan tells to the army just before another battle, intended to rile them up.

When Spartans shout about freedom you are supposed to laugh at the funny joke.

Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Hah, thought so. So Gaiman's Sandman actually massively pre-dates it, and they just copied him. Figured! I gave them the benefit of the doubt but shouldn't have.

And I know that's Dream and not Death, but still. Its a character who looks like Death who talks the way Dream does from the comic series about Dream / Sandman / Morpheus / Whatever you wanna call him. Having unique fonts like that isn't completely unheard of in comics but its pretty rare. The Endless' designs were really great and definitely one of the most memorable parts of Sandman. And people working for D.C. Marvel would have definitely read Sandman by 2004.

Ghost Rider V1 & V2 had a similar mechanic, where ghost rider spoke in white letters on black bubbles, with the bubble outline also having a flame effect. Not sure on the relative time frames of publishing, so it might be Marvel who actually did it first.

Edit: also, I think Venom had a similar speech bubble mechanic.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Mar 21, 2016

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Crowetron posted:

Ryan Reynolds has never made a good movie.

Blade Trinity begs to differ

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

The Zombie Guy posted:

Didn't Segal's improvised bomb in Under Siege have a smart rear end kind of message on the beeper screen? YOU'RE hosed or something along those lines? I kinda doubt that having a smarmy message for the bad guy to catch a glimpse of before getting blown up would really be something to waste time on in a life or death situation.

I don't think you understand Casey Ryback's priorities at all. Get the girl and make the terrorists look like chumps. Anything else is incidental.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Well, they are, just not as constantly as they could be.

:vince:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

easily the best scene in the movie

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Jedit posted:

You do realise the movie is set in America, right?

But Connor's white?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Dr. Doom is not an alias. It's his name. He's a Doctor.

You do realize that comic books are works of fiction written by an individual, yes?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I think you meant this one

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Imagine the prospect of having to do puberty and High School twice.

Also you probably need a new identity and lose all your old friendships and everyone you ever knew or loved thinks you're dead. Also there's nobody to take care of you so good luck getting adopted, mystery girl with no birth certificate!

So what's the bad news?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, there is no grand DNA database in the world where you can just drop in some bio material and it'll spit out a dossier on the owner.

Really, unless you are a known criminal, a military member or a certain class of government employee, your DNA is unknown to the world.

(DNA forensics is a very nuanced and fascinating subject. Everyone should look into it.)

Whatever you say, Mr. NSA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

It's all worth it for the 18 wheeler scene, though.