Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CratSock posted:

I saw a kid do a comparative study for english class using Back To The Future. Part II. :airquote: "Based on the popular motion picture". In grade 12. :(

You went to school with Ryan North?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Slim Killington posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy was excellent but there's a scene in which two characters get stuck floating out in space and it's terrible. I can't even imagine how an entire team of people thought an audience would just suspend that much disbelief, and even then, it's so poorly done and awkward that we cringed for its entire duration. I can't believe it made it off the development table.

They specifically consulted with NASA for that scene to make sure it was plausible enough to handwave.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I personally find it hilarious that newspaper spiderman is the only one who has his poo poo together. He's married, has a stable financial situation, and is generally well-liked by everyone.

He also spends most of his time watching TV, and his recent arc (after fighting Iron Jonah) consists entirely of Peter going around taking pictures of Doc Ock solving crimes instead of Spiderman.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I forgot about that, an incredibly lazy way to establish that she's a genius. IIRC she even says it was simple to work out in the end.

To be fair, there's an easy way to solve it.

It just also happens to be a logically flawed not-mathematically-valid solution.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Neco Wafers have been around since the civil war, and were in some of the Union Soldier's rations.

Believe me, you can tell from the taste.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

You're in the desert, you see a turtle on its back, it's belly baking in the sun.... but you don't help it turn over. Why aren't you helping?

Because I am also a turtle.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

Oh my god. He's actually having a nuclear meltdown.

It's professional jealousy. The mutos beat him out for the audition.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

While it might not be reasonable for Data to learn every species' idioms it's goddamn stupid to not teach/program English ones into him. There's also the problem that by TNG it's not like he's just been turned on, he'd been active for quite a while and still acted like he had no clue as to simple conventions.

Apparently people were just treating him as a dumb machine (like the ship's computer) before he got onboard the enterprise.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If he takes the guns from a criminal, where's he going to put them?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The blight isn't alive.

Then what the gently caress is it?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Here's one that's bugged me about Guardians Of the Galaxy

Why, in ~20 years, did Quinn never never open his mom's gift until the climax of the film?

Honestly, it sorta looked like it had already been opened.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anosmoman posted:

Having baddies drop like cardboard cutouts also takes tension away from the action. The protagonist is basically just target shooting until we get to the boss fight and the viewers know it.

Wick would have been better if there had been less of this.

Also, every time he got referred to as Baba Yaga irritated me. He doesn't have a hut with giant chicken legs.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Darth Freddy posted:

Actually a lot of competitive shooters have been known to take a single shot. Steadies the nerves and takes away that ever so slight tremble.

Yeah. They test olympic shooters for alcohol, actually, since it's considered a performance enhancer.

As for people who are actually drunk "Intoxicated subjects were less accurate, slower to fire in reaction time scenarios, and quicker to fire in scenarios requiring judgement"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Gasmask posted:

Hah, that's a really clever take on the whole conceit! It definitely makes me yearn for more adventure movies where the journey itself is the grand reward, not some treasure.

I like this take.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Firstborn posted:

Trying to stay on topic, but I think the idea is that some racists believe Jews could obliterate a neighborhood.

The funny thing is, Imperial Japan read The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. They decided since these Jewish guys are obviously super influential world-domination types, we'd better get them on our side. We need some of that economic dominance and shadowy control of the world, especially since Hitler considers us Untermensch and will be coming for us next.

End result: the Japanese ended up smuggling tons of Jewish refugees out of Germany.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Mexican standoffs have never made any sense to me. If we want to kill each other and I'm pointing a gun at you and you're pointing a gun at me, isn't the best option for either of us to just shoot? Why does everyone just stand there like as though that's a stalemate?

Well, gun shots aren't exactly instantly fatal.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rysithusiku posted:

There's a 5 minute scene where you get to watch one of the main characters brutally murder the entire totally not Westboro Baptist Church.
This really isn't the deep and complex movie people are painting it as. Just watch and enjoy.

My beef with that scene is simple.

They should have been snake handlers too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I thought conventional weapons actually worked on a few angels, too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

http://splitsider.com/2014/12/leaked-sony-documents-confirm-that-adam-sandler-films-have-no-more-value/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

:stare:

Is this just un-medicated schizophrenia, or something? Because :stare:

well, it's what the Stasi did in East Germany, so...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Can there be an irrational irritation about a movie because it didn't happen?

I'm upset that in neither Avengers or its sequel did we have a moment where the Hulk manages to lift Thor's hammer. I think it happened in some continuity or another, and it had a clever logical path for it:

- Hulk can't lift Thor's hammer
- That pisses off Hulk
- Hulk gets stronger as he gets more pissed
- Did I mention Hulk is extra-special annoyed that he can't pick up the puny hammer in front of him
- Holy poo poo he just picked up Thor's hammer

I'm irritated there wasn't an after-the-credits scene, with the janitor (Stan Lee) cleaning up after the avengers.

He polishes Cap's shield, collects Hawkeye's recipients from home depot, picks up and dusts under Thor's hammer...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I'd really like to see a decent Modesty Blaise film.

:agreed:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

How is he a dick? Also Cap can lift the hammer in the comics, and budges it a little in the movie. It's possible he ends up lifting it by Infinity War.

You're real issue with it should be how Superman is somehow unworthy

Apparently they later retconned the rules, so worthies other than thor can only lift it if he's not available or has given permission.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Professor Wayne posted:

I like the part in the Lost World novel where a character calls that theory retarded. "Deer freeze as soon as they see you. Rexes would be the worst predators ever."

And why would deer evolve to do that unless it protected them from dinos? :smuggo: checkmate atheists

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

They do that because modern realistic videogame noises would be a distraction in a movie.

Ignoring the idiot uploader's added text (in the movie it's just plain black), I think this worked pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTFrnivm2cE

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

He loses it but eventually Legolas gives it back for him to fight Azog. "Orcrist" is a goblin killing blade (thanks a lot for the misnomer, Tolkein)

Goblins and orks are the same loving thing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

It super obvious but I liked that when they showed inside the Matrix it was green and the real world was blue.

The highway scenes in Matrix 2 would have been a lot better without the stupid green filter making it all look lovely.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I hate how in the superman movie everyone was trying to hide from a tornado under an overpass :wtc:. That's literally the worst place you could possibly go.

It would have been a better movie if the twist was that daddy kent, supes, and the dog were the only survivors after that idiotic decision. At least then supes would have a traumatic reason to avoid helping people.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea, I think the general idea is that at least under an overpass you feel like you have some sort of shelter. IIRC you are supposed to find a ditch or something to lay in.

Guess maybe it'll save you from wind debris if it doesn't drop that overpass on you in the meantime.

The problem is the overpass is like a giant funnel for winds, making them even faster and more dangerous.

But yeah that means this movie might end up actually killing someone.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Sep 14, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

Raises the question of why they didn't have replicators on the Enterprise churning out projectile weapons.

In Star Trek Online, the best weapon against the borg is a 21st century shotgun.

Specifically, this one.

Grendels Dad posted:

As with the sound effects of the lightsabres in Star Wars, it improves the movie if you imagine it's the characters who produce those sounds.

Filming episode one, they had to keep reshooting the lightsaber fights with Ewan McGregor because he kept making the lightsaber noises with his mouth :kimchi:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

LXG was baffling in how they couldn't get Dorian Gray right. Dorian dies when he looks at his painting, which until now was hanging in plain view in a hall in his house.

No he doesn't. At the end of the story he stabs the painting, and that's what kills him.

quote:

He went in quietly, locking the door behind him, as was his custom, and dragged the purple hanging from the portrait. A cry of pain and indignation broke from him. He could see no change, save that in the eyes there was a look of cunning and in the mouth the curved wrinkle of the hypocrite. The thing was still loathsome—more loathsome, if possible, than before—and the scarlet dew that spotted the hand seemed brighter, and more like blood newly spilled. Then he trembled. Had it been merely vanity that had made him do his one good deed? Or the desire for a new sensation, as Lord Henry had hinted, with his mocking laugh? Or that passion to act a part that sometimes makes us do things finer than we are ourselves? Or, perhaps, all these? And why was the red stain larger than it had been? It seemed to have crept like a horrible disease over the wrinkled fingers. There was blood on the painted feet, as though the thing had dripped—blood even on the hand that had not held the knife. Confess? Did it mean that he was to confess? To give himself up and be put to death? He laughed. He felt that the idea was monstrous. Besides, even if he did confess, who would believe him? There was no trace of the murdered man anywhere. Everything belonging to him had been destroyed. He himself had burned what had been below-stairs. The world would simply say that he was mad. They would shut him up if he persisted in his story.... Yet it was his duty to confess, to suffer public shame, and to make public atonement. There was a God who called upon men to tell their sins to earth as well as to heaven. Nothing that he could do would cleanse him till he had told his own sin. His sin? He shrugged his shoulders. The death of Basil Hallward seemed very little to him. He was thinking of Hetty Merton. For it was an unjust mirror, this mirror of his soul that he was looking at. Vanity? Curiosity? Hypocrisy? Had there been nothing more in his renunciation than that? There had been something more. At least he thought so. But who could tell? ... No. There had been nothing more. Through vanity he had spared her. In hypocrisy he had worn the mask of goodness. For curiosity's sake he had tried the denial of self. He recognized that now.

But this murder—was it to dog him all his life? Was he always to be burdened by his past? Was he really to confess? Never. There was only one bit of evidence left against him. The picture itself—that was evidence. He would destroy it. Why had he kept it so long? Once it had given him pleasure to watch it changing and growing old. Of late he had felt no such pleasure. It had kept him awake at night. When he had been away, he had been filled with terror lest other eyes should look upon it. It had brought melancholy across his passions. Its mere memory had marred many moments of joy. It had been like conscience to him. Yes, it had been conscience. He would destroy it.

He looked round and saw the knife that had stabbed Basil Hallward. He had cleaned it many times, till there was no stain left upon it. It was bright, and glistened. As it had killed the painter, so it would kill the painter's work, and all that that meant. It would kill the past, and when that was dead, he would be free. It would kill this monstrous soul-life, and without its hideous warnings, he would be at peace. He seized the thing, and stabbed the picture with it.

There was a cry heard, and a crash. The cry was so horrible in its agony that the frightened servants woke and crept out of their rooms. Two gentlemen, who were passing in the square below, stopped and looked up at the great house. They walked on till they met a policeman and brought him back. The man rang the bell several times, but there was no answer. Except for a light in one of the top windows, the house was all dark. After a time, he went away and stood in an adjoining portico and watched.

"Whose house is that, Constable?" asked the elder of the two gentlemen.

"Mr. Dorian Gray's, sir," answered the policeman.

They looked at each other, as they walked away, and sneered. One of them was Sir Henry Ashton's uncle.

Inside, in the servants' part of the house, the half-clad domestics were talking in low whispers to each other. Old Mrs. Leaf was crying and wringing her hands. Francis was as pale as death.

After about a quarter of an hour, he got the coachman and one of the footmen and crept upstairs. They knocked, but there was no reply. They called out. Everything was still. Finally, after vainly trying to force the door, they got on the roof and dropped down on to the balcony. The windows yielded easily—their bolts were old.

When they entered, they found hanging upon the wall a splendid portrait of their master as they had last seen him, in all the wonder of his exquisite youth and beauty. Lying on the floor was a dead man, in evening dress, with a knife in his heart. He was withered, wrinkled, and loathsome of visage. It was not till they had examined the rings that they recognized who it was.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

No it wouldn't. Dorian lunges at someone with a knife. They use the painting as a shield.

Honestly that's how I remembered it happening in the movie.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah they have the number printed on the phonebooth.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spectre opens with a line about the dead walking the earth, and the idea it created of James bond opposing the undead was more interesting than the movie's actual plot.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Snapchat A Titty posted:

It's a metaphor for western interventionalism

It's a metaphor for alcoholism.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Without the EU, we never would have gotten Jabba the Hutt's dreadlocked father, Zorba the Hutt, who is so fat he's immune to blaster fire and flies around in the Zorba Express.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Krinkle posted:

I feel that nobody should make the image of harrison ford we all have in our hearts and memories say the dumbest possible thing ever, just in my humble opinion.

"I've been from one end of this galaxy to the other, and I've never seen another house like this one. It's a new concept of mine—houses that float in the sky. If you don't like the cloud you're living on, you just drift off to another one."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Some shows will just give lines to their regular extras, which is nice because then you can actually spot them in the background later on and they don't feel like the Simpsons new neighbors.

Stargate did a pretty great job of that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pidmon posted:

My IMM is how The Onion doesnt think mobile phones exist so I get a teeny tiny strip of the middle of sentances in between the constantly scrolling menu and other article columns.

I like how the videos randomly autoplay on non-mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

What's worse, the entire plan (which was predicated upon on a bad guy infiltrating the hogwarts faculty, keeping a person alive in a box so they could be harvested for hair to create shape-changing potions which had to be drunk every few hours for an entire year, spoofing a magical artifact to have Harry join the triwizard tournament and planting clues on other students to guide him through the challenges, ensuring that somehow this fourth-year student outcompete several other, more qualified wizards to win the games, all while the bad guy actually teaches a class all year to maintain his secret identity) culminates in getting Harry to touch a cup.

It didn't even have to be a cup, it could have been literally any object. Crouch could have shown up and enchanted one of Harry's shoes while he was sleeping, or his broomstick, or any number of other objects that didn't require fooling an entire school full of powerful wizards for eight months to cheat at an elaborate and deadly sequence of challenges which had no way of completely ensuring Harry would be the first person to complete the maze. He didn't even have to wait for school to begin! He could have just written "Gotcha" on a piece of paper, made it a portkey and mailed it to harry in july.

Crouch didn't make the portkey, he hacked one that Dumbledore (who has admin access and can ignore hogwarts anti-teleport poo poo) already made. Just like how he hacked the Goblet. It's consistent, even if it isn't explicitly spelled out.