Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

There's a thread in GBS right now about Jurassic Park and it's sequels and reading it motivated me to spend some time watching the movies again for the first time in years over the weekend. The Lost World is pretty much a piece of poo poo no matter how you slice it but I had forgotten about just how much of the movie's plot is created by Vince Vaughn being an idiot and an rear end in a top hat. He wrecks Jeff Goldblum's trailers and gets Toby from the West Wing killed by picking up the baby T-Rex and taking it back to their camp. After being rescued by not-Muldoon and the InGen people he proceeds to wreck their camp and their communication equipment by letting out all the dinosaurs because of Greenpeace or something? Then, while they're in a desperate survival situation and trying to make it to their only way to call for help he takes time out of his busy schedule of being an idiot rear end in a top hat to unload not-Muldoon's rifle so that when the T-Rex attacks they end up scattering through the wilderness and getting picked off by raptors and whatnot. gently caress you, Vince Vaughn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Cowslips Warren posted:

In The Walking Dead, where the gently caress are all the flies? Every zombie should be full of maggots. For that poo poo, the gently caress are all the animals? Dogs, cats, loving birds?
The show is terrible and I don't want this to come off as defending it. But we've seen the zombies eating animals so you can assume that a lot of the cats and dogs were served up buffet style by the assorted hordes. The ones that didn't get eaten probably give anything approximately zombie shaped a wide berth at this point.

As for the maggots and flies that's just a SFX budget thing. Pretend they're repulsed by the same magical conditioner that the characters use on their hair or the fantasy wax that keeps their Hyundais shiny and polished all through season two (where it became a running joke for me and my friends).

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think it was a season premiere or finale for season...8? 9? (After I stopped watching it regularly, at any point) where that is the basic premise of the episode.

Some lawyer decides the best way to win for his client is dredge up all the shirt the SVU members have done, like Olivia helping her brother when he was a suspect in a sex crime, Stabler using his cop cred to get his daughter off of DUI charges, etc...
It was the season finale of season 8. And by that time I hated pretty much every character on that show who wasn't John Munch so I was praying that they'd actually follow through on the ending where they all seemed to be screwed. But of course they didn't. Luckily, however, that led to season nine's "Avatar"; the funniest episode of television ever produced. SVU is the worst.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

I had to double-check that this is the one i was thinking of, and yup...that one was absurd.
You didn't mention either the part where they have to arm twist the Second Life executive into "turning on the sun" at Second Life midnight so that they can match the shadows to aerial photographs of the real cabin or whatever evidence they had on hand to find him. Or the greatest exchange in television history where the SVU team is at the NYPD call center phone bank fielding tips from random callers about the missing girl when Detective Chester Lake beckons over Cragen, Benson and Stabler with a dramatic "I think we got something!"

He presses the speakerphone button, instructs the caller to tell the Captain exactly what she told him and the next line, I swear I'm not kidding about this, is:

"I think she's in another universe."

Then the scene cuts.

We learn in the following scene that what she actually said was Another Youniverse, the SVU-verse equivalent of Second Life but that moment and that scene cut will never not crack me up. Just because I like to imagine Cragen pausing, hanging up the phone and then telling Lake to clean out his desk.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Avengers & Guardians of the Galaxy :

if Thanos is the most powerful being in the universe why does he send scrubs like Ronan and Loki after the Infinity Gems? Why not just waltz in and take them?
So there's no in-movie explanation and there likely never will be but in the comics Thanos is absurdly powerful, way more powerful than movie Ronan or Loki. But in comic books that's like being the PAC-10 champion in college football. There are a bunch of much more powerful beings who play in an entirely different league than Thanos or Thor or any of the characters we've met in the movies (though one of them did briefly show up in the Collector's flashback in Guardians) who would stomp Thanos flat if he openly went after the magic items that he needs to gain ultimate power (the various McGuffins from the movies).

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is Galactus a Celestial? If not what the hell is he?

And what the gently caress is this?

http://marvel.wikia.com/Eternity_%28Earth-616%29

Seriously how did the Marvel universe grow from some super powered men in tights to... this.
Steve Ditko liked to draw crazy things. The classic Dr. Strange stories are full of characters and concepts like that. Anyway while that character is, in theory, the most powerful thing in the universe (kinda by definition) in practice he mainly exists to be imperiled.

"My God! This villain must be impossibly dangerous! He threatens even mighty Eternity himself!"

A lot of the upper echelons of Marvel power don't really do anything in most stories. They're just hanging around in the background being beyond our mortal ken or whatever.

Galactus' most accepted deal, I think, is that he's the last survivor of whatever existed before the Big Bang. He's important to the continued existence of the Universe in some vague way and wanders around eating planets.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

ducttape posted:

4) The torpedo took x amount of time to travel from the surface of the death star to the core of the death star. In that same amount of time, the slower X-wings and the much slower Falcon were able to get far enough away for this shot:

The real reason for most of the trench run stuff is because it was inspired by footage from a WWII air assault (like a lot of stuff in Star Wars -- including the Millenium Falcon's turrets which, in my irrationally irritating moment, are not used during the Battle of Endor).

But to answer point four specifically, "You've never heard of the Millenium Falcon?" Expanded Universe can be safely ignored now so I'm confident in saying there's no way an X-wing is faster than the Falcon. Remember, she outraces the detonation at Endor, too (and that explosion eats two TIE interceptors).

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

But why weren't the turrets manned for the Battle of Endor, damnit?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

They didn't use them in ESB either when they were running from the Empire. I think they just forgot they existed.
In Empire I've always forgiven it because a) They were running from Star Destroyers more than TIEs and b) Leia would probably have shot the Falcon like Sean Connery in Last Crusade. (Seriously, Leia is completely useless in Empire; not quite Willie Scott level but she's incapable of accomplishing anything and has nothing to do for the entire movie aside from fall for Han.)

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

ducttape posted:

In episode 4, the falcon can barely outrun star destroyers, and TIE fighters (literally) fly circles around it.
The whole reason I quoted that line was because it was from Episode IV.

quote:

Han Solo: It's the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. I've outrun Imperial starships. Not the local bulk cruisers mind you, I'm talking about the big Corellian ships now. She's fast enough for you old man. What's the cargo?

And it does outrun the Star Destroyers quite easily (after angling the deflector shields). The Imperial Officer on the Death Star later even identifies her as "the ship that blasted it's way out of Mos Eisley" -- noteworthy because it must be referencing the Falcon's speed since they never fire a shot during the escape.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

swamp waste posted:

The thing I didn't like about the Watchmen movie was that it treated violence as cool, as something to be lingered over in salivating slo-mo while like a woman's calf muscle explodes as a bullet rips through it or captain america rapes the prom queen in the rec room. If Watchmen takes place in a world where violence isn't horrifying then there's no point, there's no satire, it's just R-rated Batman Forever
The thing that made me nuts about the Watchmen movie was that, in order to make all the flashy eye candy big scenes fit into a feature length film they had to literally cut the heart out of the book. In addition to cutting the two best pieces of Alan Moore's writing for no drat reason from the movie, the filmmakers removed basically all the minor characters who, in the climax of the story are, by their actions, refuting both Rorschach's nihilism and Adrian's utilitarianism. It's actually really important for the book and having them absent from the movie so you can fit in Big Figure is horrible.

Also cutting "Noting ever ends, Adrian" is inexcusable.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Lemon posted:

Would one of those be Rorschach's interview with the psychiatrist, the part where he discusses when he became who he was? Why they felt the need to change even one word of that is beyond me.
Don't forget they also had him just kill the guy with a meat cleaver.

quote:

Stood in firelight, sweltering.
Bloodstain on chest like map of violent new continent. Felt cleansed. Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.
Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and God was not there. The cold, suffocating dark goes on forever and we are alone.
Live our lives, lacking anything better to do. Devise reason later. Born from oblivion; bear children, hell-bound as ourselves, go into oblivion. There is nothing else.
Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose.
This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It’s us.
Only us.
Streets stank of fire. The void breathed hard on my heart, turning its illusions to ice, shattering them. Was reborn then, free to scrawl own design on this morally blank world. Was Rorschach.
Does that answer your questions, Doctor?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

:psyboom: I never noticed that
The graphic novel is crammed through of things like that. One of my favorite little bits is the debris (especially newspapers and magazines blowing around) when Jon and Laurie return to New York.

"I will give you bodies beyond imagining"

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Jedit posted:

They're talking about Luke's lightsabre, not Ben's. Luke practices with it aboard the Falcon, but he never uses it during the Death Star mission.

Of course, it's not really that surprising if you think about it. Luke can't deflect bolts reliably yet, it's much more sensible for him to use the blaster that he does know how to use. And from the Death Star they go straight to the battle of Yavin, so there's no more opportunities.
I like to imagine that there's a scrapped scene out there somewhere that had Luke use his saber to kill the green eyeball tentacle monster (or at least hack off a tentacle) but it was cut because it undermined the tension for the rest of the compactor scene.

I would enjoy it though just for the sequence where a green tentacle grabs Luke, he slices it with the lightsaber and then stares down at the water for a beat before going "Huh. That was weird."

Bonus points if Han and Leia are both staring at him with :aaaaa:

NorgLyle has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Jul 26, 2015

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Aleph Null posted:

The Alien reboot by Neill Blomkamp (of District 9 fame) is supposed to fix that by pretending Alien 3 and 4 never happened. I'm not sure how they will handle Newt to be honest.
I would have loved to see this... in 1996. It's 2015 and I kinda feel like that ship has sailed, burned to the waterline and fifteen years ago divers brought up the plates for a museum show. Alien and Aliens were amazing but let them rest; nobody really wants to see whatever CGI horror show they paste over some poor kids face so Lance Henrikesen can record dialogue for Bishop. Aliens never needed a sequel and I think if everybody just ignores the movies and games and vs Predators that came after it and let the final image from that universe be Ripley and Newt sleeping the whole world would be a better place.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I know my last post in this thread was also about Star Wars but I swear that I do watch other movies sometimes.

"This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was." - Yoda.

"He is too old. Yes. Too old to begin the training." - Yoda again.

" That boy is our last hope." - Obi Wan Kenobi.

Well, guys, not trying to point out holes in your brilliant 'Leave the last hope of the galaxy on a moisture farm" plan, but if proper Jedi training takes time and is best started young, why the hell didn't Obi Wan put the plan in motion years earlier?

He knew where Luke was, he knew where Yoda was, Yoda knew where Luke was and apparently what he was doing the whole time. What was the backup plan if Leia didn't stick the Death Star plans in a random passing droid who was able to escape capture because of the worst Imperial Officer in the entire series?

(I know even Family Guy made fun of the "No life signs" gunnery guy but geez.)

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Armacham posted:

I always thought that Yoda was saying no and making excuses to Luke to see if Luke was really committed to the training, or if he would peace out as soon as he heard a no. This plays into his old kung fu master persona.
But again I have to ask, to what possible end would he do that? If Luke just starts blasting at the weirdo digging through his stuff is Yoda really going to go "Not willing to train you, am I. Consign the galaxy to an eternity of rule by the Sith, yes. Teach you a lesson about hostility, will this."

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Funny story, the actress who plays Dee was on Conan (she's actually Rob's wife in real life) and she was talking about filming that scene. She said that she stepped on some wooden plank that like fell or broke or something and ended up cutting up her face pretty bad and had to go to the emergency room. So they all rush her to the hospital without thinking, and then they get there and they're waiting at the Hospital... and Rob is still in blackface.

And she's like "yeah my husband... no you see we were filming a tv show.... forget it"
I refuse to believe this story if only because it's too perfect not to include in the show in some capacity. People staring in horror at Mac only for the gang to slowly realize he's in blackface is a flawless Always Sunny scene.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Nuebot posted:

As for irritating movie moments, I saw Batman vs Superman recently and I'm another one of the people who was wondering why Superman didn't just give the spear to Wonderwoman at the end. He could have just thrown it to her instead of dying! She is obviously better at fighting with weapons.
Nobody at DC Comics gets the joke in this strip:

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

At the end of Suicide Squad the characters are all having a big fight with the Enchantress and Killer Croc teams up with Deadshot to throw a bag of explosives into her giant blue sky laser. Deadshot shoots it (after drama happens) and the bag explodes causing the vortex thingy to collapse and stop destroying the earth. I have no idea why the characters in the film thought that would work. As the audience, I certainly have no idea why it got played up with slow motion and witch illusion drama. I guess it did stop the world from being blown up, which was nice, but really basically everything about the Enchantress' and her plan was the worst most Irrationally Irritating part of a movie that had some good elements buried under whatever they were going for.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Honestly I've never understood the appeal of the hypothetical alternate universe where Connery was Gandalf. First because McKellen was basically perfect in the role but also, and more importantly, because I legitimately can't think of Sean Connery's last decent performance.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Dwayne would have been an amazing Gandalf, I agree.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Phanatic posted:

Man, the uncanny valley is on display in Rogue One something fierce. Peter Cushing died over 20 years ago, can't you just hire an actor who sort of resembles him and just expect the audience to know it's the same character?
My real problem with Tarkin was the voice. Peter Cushing had a fairly distinctive delivery and timbre to his speech and the person they had doing his lines in Rogue One managed to mimmick exactly none of it. I found Leia less distracting because she was onscreen for a lot less time and only had one word to speak (and, let's be honest, it's not like Carrie Fisher had exactly what anyone would call a really consistent delivery for any of Leia's lines between the movies).

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

My Irrationally Irritating Always Sunny moment is that in Westworld they never had Jimmi Simpson interact with the Host who was obsessed with milk. Missed opportunity and :sad: .

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Phanatic posted:

The photos are of the previous generation. That's why the 80s one has 70s icons in the photos.
My IIMM for that image has always been the conspicuous lack of Martin Brody on the 70s wall. You could have even used him to tie in to the 1930s US League in the obvious way.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Byzantine posted:

After all, it's not like anybody gives a drat that Velociraptor was actually two feet high, Pteranadon couldn't lift a human, Mosasaurus was nowhere near big enough to eat a great white shark whole, etc, etc, etc but for some reason Spinosaurus, and only Spinosaurus, needs to be accurate...
I know this is the IIMM thread so I feel dumb typing this out but I wanted to explain my perspective on the whole thing.

It's not that Spinosaurus needs to be accurate, far from it. It's that its portrayal in JP3 contradicts the mythology of dinosaurs that is basically imprinted in the popular consciousness -- something your examples are actually pointing out. Velociraptor was a completely unheard of and unknown dino until the first Jurassic park movie; as a kid I was a huge dinosaur fan but was much more interested in things like Deinonychus than any of his relatives but when Jurassic Park came out Velociraptor became the 'big claw hunting dino' in the minds of pretty much the entire world. Pteranodon absolutely couldn't lift a human in real life but it's the most famous flying dinosaur and in cultural imagination dinosaurs are huge and powerful so of course in dino myth the Pteranodon is a gigantic beast capable of lifting a grown man in each claw into the air with ease. Mososaurus gets the same treatment for water based dinos (though I'm surprised that they didn't go with a Plesiosaurus which would get the Loch Ness bump in pop consciousness -- probably too similar to the Brachiosaurs, though).

Spinos crime was being portrayed as bigger and tougher than the T-Rex which 'everyone knows' was the fiercest most dominant and dangerous predator dinosaur of all time; he's got 'king' right there in the name. He's the Hulk Hogan/John Cena of the Dinosaur world and Spinosaurus needs to know his role and shut his mouth in the minds of the casual dino fan.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Henchman of Santa posted:

There's no deaf assassin anywhere to fight him but that does remain relevant.
Hawkeye.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

That and I'm willing to bet Burke and the company didn't brief them at all on the civvies they were bringing along. If they got anything it would be "you're bringing the warrant officer of a ship that landed on Acheron 57 years ago as a local expert", and no mention that she retrained as a loader driver after the company fired her for blowing up the Nostromo.
Aliens is just about a perfect movie for me but the one single IIM that has been there for me ever since the first time I saw it is Bishop doing that thing with the knife again. I get that it was done just to reveal that he's a synthetic to Ripley but I always hoped that his superhuman speed and reflexes would come up at some point.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wild, Wild West is the movie I so badly wanted to be good. :sigh:
It's weird thinking about how much talent that movie squandered -- actually that just makes me think of Collateral Beauty and now I might hate Will Smith.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

JT Smiley posted:

Don't forget when they cut to a shot of him in ancient times with his head pasted on a super swole body
The secret that Marvel and Warner Brothers are hoping nobody realizes is that most superheroes have absolutely awful villains. Batman has an actual functioning roster of interesting enemies who all -- for the most part -- play off the core concept of Batman and reflect the hero in some kind of interesting way. Marvel has done a decent job of masking their terrible rogue's gallery by primarily focusing the movies on the 'Scheming rear end in a top hat' sides of some of their doofier villains (nowhere in Captain America: Civil War, for example, does Zemo accidentally glue his own mask to his face). Superman has a small cast of bad guys who are kinda interesting and a smaller roster of kinda interesting guys who can actually reasonably fight with Superman the way modern cinema seems to want to portray him (sorry Toyman).

Wonder Woman has absolute garbage. Once you take the big step down from Ares, God of War you get into things like Cheetah, Silver Swan and Dr. Psycho (who is basically Professor X as played by scenery chewing Peter Dinklage -- which honestly might be fun but I imagine you'd have a hard time selling him).

Green Lantern is even worse as his most iconic villain is 'Guy With The Exact Same Powers Only A Different Color'. There is a reason Iron Monger isn't anybody's top Iron Man bad guy...

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I'm vaguely hoping that after the first failed Dark Universe movie, Marvel will drive a dump truck full of cash up to Universal and just buy the rights to Marvel's Dracula outright.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Justic League is stupid because superhero movies are all about punching so everybody will end up having superman level strength so they can participate in the big brawl.
It's not difficult to find panels from a "critically acclaimed" (Comic Book journalism generally giving video game journalism a run for its money) series where the premise is 'Superman is Bad' and so in-universe scientists (Batman) made a pill to give everybody Superman punching power and naturally that leads to Alfred Pennyworth, Batman's Butler, beating the holy hell out of Clark.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Well see Alfred was really mad...

http://imgur.com/gallery/yYzpF

So it all makes sense. Comic books can be really fun but even when they are they're still far, far stupider than even the dumbest comic book movie (even including Elektra).

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Personally I find stuff like Superman having robots at the fortress of solitude and Batman being part of a team that fights aliens stupid, but I'm mainly familiar with the movies and not the comics.
The baffling thing, if you read comic books, is that even back in the 1940s the authors realized this and when they were putting together the first Justice League style team book they had Superman and Batman as 'Honorary Members' who didn't actually appear in the comics that often and weren't part of the team's normal missions (which, at the time, mostly involved beating up spies and Nazis and such).

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

And originally (when it was the Justice Society in the 1940s, before the Justice League was created) Wonder Woman was only a member as the team secretary. :v:
As it should be. :smugdon:

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

RareAcumen posted:

Whoa, people actually know Wonder Woman villains? Because of all the animated stuff, the only one I know is Cheetah (Cheetara? Or is that Thundercats?)
She also has a villain that is literally Serpentor from GI Joe only instead of being cloned from the most evil people who ever lived she is smushed together out of the clay found at the sites of the world's greatest atrocities (See cause Wonder Woman was a clay statue given life her greatest nemesis must be the same thing only much much dumber).

EDIT: Wonder Woman is currently not a clay statue given life and is instead just a regular old fashioned demigod absentee fathered by Zeus. This is a much better origin for the purposes of 'connecting to non-comic book readers' so of course the loudest voices in comic book fandom hate it.

NorgLyle has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Jun 5, 2017

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

RareAcumen posted:

Obviously a new one for me.

Honestly, that just makes me realize I don't know many of the Justice League's rogue gallery. Who are Cyborg, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Black Canary and Hawkgirl facing off against on a regular basis? Hell if I know!
Yeah, most of the people you mentioned don't really have their own villains because they are superhero team lifers. It's like asking who Colossus' arch enemy is from the X-Men.

Green Arrow has a small stable of his own forgettable losers since, like Aquaman, he has had his own book for long stretches of time but he's still Green Arrow so unless you really like the TV show chances are you haven't heard of any of them.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

RareAcumen posted:

So I'm watching Supergirl again after giving up on it early on after I saw this is what they had for the android Red Tornado.

I don't think that looks bad? I guess I'm just glad he doesn't have a giant yellow arrow on his head - I'm still slightly scarred from Smallville's overly literal interpretations of comic book costumes in some of the later seasons, though.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Somehow I'm... skeptical? (I'm not sure what emotion that molded helmet and smirk are supposed to be expressing)

It looks like inexpensive TV costuming but at least it's not going to permanently embarrass the actor they made wear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

RareAcumen posted:

Wrong, they're a bundle of sticks.
You're reading the recipe wrong...