Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
About Spider-Mans webbing, shooters etc. In the very early stories, like the first 20-30 issues, they spent some time having Peter synthesize the webbing through trial and error until he gets everything just right. Ditto for the web shooters. At one point he goes to try to sell the formula for webbing to a glue company but by that point he's perfected it so it wears out. He offers to re-work it but they're like 'no thanks, please leave through the window you came in.' The costume was something he could sew up and throw in the wash. Movies just mess everything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
What did the morgue lady like to do sometimes when it's really late? Irritating not to know.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

DrBouvenstein posted:

"How could they big an Omega 13 device" when, judging from the snippets of dialogue we heard, it was never really explained that well on the show itself?

While the actors clearly had no clue what it was, the people that paid attention (the fans that help them out at the end) were able to properly theorize exactly what it did. They pieced together enough information to come to the same conclusion as the aliens, who probably started with the intended function and worked backwards until they had something that achieved it.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

10 Beers posted:

Yeah. I always figured that pre chip, he tried to emulate human emotion and feeling as much as he could. Plus, who knows, maybe his positronic brain allowed him some small amount of simulated feeling?

There's a whole TNG episode about this called 'Measure of a Man'. They argue back and forth about what Data's weird little quirks mean, including specifically keeping Tasha's picture around. It's really good.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
If I'm in command of an Imperial ship and I see the Death Star just blowed up for the second time, and the Emperor and Darth ostensibly killed, I'm throwing up my hands and going home too.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

ducttape posted:

I kinda get it; when I give an estimate for how long it will take me to do something, there's always a 'behave like a reasonable person' factor. If I estimate it will take me 20 minutes to drive somewhere, I could probably do it in 10, if I ignored all traffic laws, for example.

In Pulp Fiction when the Wolf says 'That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.' A 30 minute drive in 10? And by the way if you're worried about getting pulled over for random crap like a tail-light then 'I drive real fuckin' fast so keep up' doesn't sound so brilliant.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
He's the only character without any funny moments that I can recall, now that you mention it.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

N. Senada posted:

This is a good system that works.

Its a poo poo system that makes money for rear end bitches while ensuring we will never have an X-Men vs Avengers while Spider-Man makes fun of them all aka, a true Marvel U on cinema.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Die Laughing posted:

No, it's not. He's mutant Hitler.

That's a stretch, Hitler wasn't part of a tiny minority group being actively hunted, murdered and hate-crimed. Magneto has an actual argument for self-defense. Mutants got it pretty rough in Marvel U, even the generally good ones get pissed off and go ham once in a while.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jmcrofts posted:

I could be way off here, but I remember women walking around without a bra being way more common in the 90s than it is now, and it seems like it happened more in movies then too.

Friends set a lot of fashion trends, some not so good, and some that were alright

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dr_Amazing posted:

They play a lot with Data not understanding emotions or humor, but it always seems weird that he doesn't get what anyone is saying. He speaks every language and has complete knowledge of everything in the magic computer. there's no reason he wouldn't know what some old word means.

I think they did a good job with that, he generally understood the words but not the context they were used in. Someone would bust out a random phrase like 'thats one way to skin a cat' and he'd ask, why would one skin a cat. How is that applicable to a warp core breach.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

The problem with Holmes as a character is that he's supposed to be brilliant.

Screenwriters aren't brilliant. So they have to write a character who's smarter than they are.

So you wind up with two kinds of plots in Holmes stories: ones where the mystery is so pedestrian that anyone with half a brain in their head can figure it out, except all the people in the story can't, except for Holmes, in which case the audience sees the solution coming a mile away and this completely dilutes the supposed brilliance of the character. Or ones where the mystery is completely impenetrable and Holmes solves it because of some random factor that the audience is never informed of. The solution comes out of left field, nobody else even has a chance to deduce it because otherwise it would completely dilute the supposed brilliance of the character.

The first Downey Jr. film they took the first option. In the second one there wasn't even really a mystery to begin with. They're dull, plodding films.

Sherlock Holmes as a character is brilliant and awesome. Most of the actual Holmes stories by Sir Conan Doyle are very fun and well conceived (some duds, not many, but he was literally forced to bring the character back to life for an extra decade or so longer than he intended). They lampshade into what you describe but that is a problem with non-talented people trying to beat their own two dimes out of the character, not 'the problem with Holmes as a character'.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

CannonFodder posted:

It worked in Equilibrium, but that's because the movie built up the whole 'gun kata' thing so when two highly trained people meet it's a stalemate even after the shots start flying.

It works in Equilibrium (I assume you mean the final fight) because of how close they are, they're deflecting each others hands/arms, not reacting to fired bullets. The fight basically ends when one of them finally gets a good shot lined up.

That was the only real fight where they were equals all the other shootouts it was standard action hero stuff where Preston is just way better than everyone.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I havent seen Kingsmen yet but I have something bothering me -- in the trailers there's a girl with apparently blades for legs, how does she walk around without getting stuck everywhere? Can someone spoiler for me how those things work because it's distracting me a lot lately.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I get that, but it's just annoying that they take a character that has a big history of being the best fighter around (dude's basically immortal) and then just not bothering to train Jackman to actually fight at all.

It'd be like if they had a spiderman movie where he couldn't shoot webs.

He only really tends to use his skill against good guys he doesnt want to kill, like when he's fighting someone like Shang-Chi and out karates him instead of shanking him.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Silence of the Lambs - that bit where 'he ate her face and his pulse didnt go over 85' irritates me. They intend it to imply that he's as ruthless as a shark but to me it implied more that he has the resting heart rate of an olympic runner. It's distracting since they did a fine job building a psychopath without throwing in 'his crazy has been measured by science'.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Is that why The Dark Knight had a random field trip to China to capture a character nobody cared about for a subplot that was immediately dropped? Or did they actually think their 2.5-hour movie couldn't survive without that segment.

That sub-plot was awesome though, billionaire absconds with ballet, batman flying into a building and an actually decently shot fight scene, the skyhook escape. Whats not to like. And after all that the Joker steals the guy and burns him on a giant pile of money.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

To contribute: I'm irrationally irritated by the way that boxing movies actually handle boxing by and large. Aside from Raging Bull they almost always get it wrong and it almost always looks entirely fake. Plus, guys take super human levels of punishment, are bleeding to death in their corner and it always comes down to "heart" long after a ref would've stopped those fights.

I know its not boxing, but I saw the Bonner vs Griffin UFC reality show fight and apparently it is possible for two guys to stand in a ring and punch each other in the face forever and neither guy falls down out of just willpower.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

ninjahedgehog posted:

My IIMM with this scene is the brother who decided that his time would be better spent just watching her on the computer rather than, I dunno, HELPING THE ADULTS KEEP A VELOCIRAPTOR FROM ENTERING THE ROOM AND EATING THEM. Like, Sam Niell even tells Laura Dern to give him the shotgun that's just of reach, but somehow this little shithead can't run over and kick it closer to them.

EDIT: I mean, look at this loving twerp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1VE6C0H2bU

Like OK Laura Dern says she can't reach it unless she moves, which is fair, but why aren't the next words out of Sam Niell's mouth "TIMMY STOP PLAYING SLAPDICK AND GIVE ME THE GODDAMN GUN YOU USELESS poo poo"?

EDIT 2: Also, she's pressing on the wrong side of the door and barely helping as it is because she has zero mechanical advantage. She ought to be standing right behind Sam Niell and pressing on the door around him or even pressing directly on him, but my point is that she could have just gotten up and grabbed the gun and it wouldn't have made much of a difference.

EDIT 3: :goonsay:

How did they get back to being chased after they've locked this door. iirc there's a scene where they're on the phone with Hammond/Malcolm and you hear Grant scream 'It's coming through!' and then gunshots. Whats it coming through, the tiny window in the door?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gorilla Salad posted:

When I was a kid visiting my uncle's farm, he had shotgun shells that just contained a single, large metal slug he used for killing large :airquote:pests:airquote:, like saltwater crocs and razorbacks*.

I'm guessing they'd work a treat on dinosaurs too, given the loving mess they made out of boars.

*And camels and stray dogs and everything else on his property that didn't pay its way. The 70s were a very different time.

Trying to think of what region might have salties and camels wandering through randomly. Some place in africa?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gorilla Salad posted:

I remembered an old moment that really bugged me when it came out - Karate Kid 2.

So Scott Bao or whoever goes to Japan with Mr Miyagi and gets into a tussle with some local thugs. At one point, the thugs are buying vegetables off some local farmers because they're just that loving hard. But one of the weights on their scale breaks and it turns out it was made of plaster rather than metal.

Oh no, they are ripping off the farmers! How evil.

But the thugs were the ones buying, so using light weights mean the sales would show the produce as being heavier than it was, mean they would be paying out more money to the farmers. They were ripping themselves off :psyduck:

I had to google this because it made no sense they'd take their own weights and scales to BUY veggies, thats now how.. any type of food purchase works:

Corrected entry: In the scene where Chozen is buying vegetables from the villagers, one of the weights from the scale is knocked onto the ground. Daniel picks it up and realises that its not a real weight and breaks it in half. If Chozen wanted to cheat the villagers when he weighed their vegetables, he would need weights that were heavier than normal, not lighter plastic ones. Lighter weights would mean that Chozen would need to add far more of the light weights to make any amount of vegetables balance out, therefore he would be paying more for the vegetables than they are worth.

Correction: Chozen wasn't buying the vegetables, he was selling them, it was his land (his uncles land) so the villagers would pick then go to him to pay for what they have taken. That's why he had light weights, to have the villagers think they were buying more than they actually were.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Re: Tall mouth syndrome - It started invading things since it showed up in the Mummy. It's pants on head retarded every god damned time it shows up, be it a spooky ghostie or a vamp or whatever.

I'm sure I've seen an avatar or a gif of a really old (black and white?) movie where there's a woman sitting on a porch or something and her mouth is this huge gaping hole. I know it has a real simple name I just cant remember it, and I did a few searches for various combinations of 'old horror movie woman wide mouth' and, I'm not going to do that anymore. The image does seem to be somewhat ubiquitous though I've seen it a few places.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Glukeose posted:

Perhaps you're thinking of the movie Begotten?

That's it. That's what I think of for big mouths in horror movies, not The Mummy.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
In Pulp Fiction:

quote:

Jules: We should have shotguns for this kind of deal.

Vincent: How many up there?

Jules: Three or four.

Vincent: That's countin' our guy?

Jules: Not sure.

Vincent: So that means there could be up to five guys up there?

Jules: It's possible.

Vincent: We should have fuckin' shotguns.

So why didn't they bring shotguns? They were experienced killers, they obviously weren't comfortable with just handguns. Any of the explanations I can think of don't fit:

1 - 'they were told to use subterfuge and shotguns would have given them away'. This isnt the case because everyone knows who they are and why they're there, they immediately introduce themselves as Marcelus' men and are very obvious hitmen regardless.

2 - 'they were told to only kill as a last resort so gunplay wasn't expected'. This isnt the case because Jules casually murders the one guy on the couch just to make a point.

3 - 'they have their load-outs picked by someone else and they have no say in it'. ...Why?

4 - 'the mission was time critical and they didn't have time to get more equipment'. But they get there so early they need to hang back for a bit talking about foot massages. It's not presented as a situation where they're in a rush to get there.

Basically it plays out implying #3, but no reason given for why that is.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
He didn't mean to shoot Marvin in the face, there was a bump.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cage posted:

Yeah, does that not make it an accident? He was aiming a gun at his head and had bad trigger discipline. He was a bad hitman.

Well they did get the case back. But none of this is addressing the point, even a bad hitman doesn't want to die, so why go into a situation under-armed. A bad hitman may not realize the danger but they both clearly do.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Silly Newbie posted:

That's the thing though, they aren't hitmen so much as enforcers. They were probably told "go here, there will be a car waiting, keys in it. Take it to the apartment, get the case, make an example. Ditch the car and hardware after."

OK I can live with this.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lotish posted:

If I'm being generous, it sounds like Marsellus wanted this to be a standard hit, and in this case standard translates as his two men armed with pistols. I get the gist that the most they handle at once is probably one or two, maybe three, people, but this is more than that. Now maybe they've dealt with that before, so Mr Wallace thinks nothing of keeping up the standard hit routine, but Vega and Jules know that crossing that threshold makes things a bit dicey. They'd like something more when they cross that line, but they haven't brought it up with the boss yet. Maybe they do off camera, and that's why Vince has a UZI or something similar when he goes for Butch; Marsellus just straight upgrades.

Marsellus was a consistent gently caress up. He

a) managed to lose an extraordinarily valuable briefcase to a group of amateurs.

b) trusted a junkie hep cat to look after his wife which almost got her killed.

c) got clowned for a lot of money by Butch in a scam to lay down in a boximg match.

d) found a way to get rear end raped on a donut run.

Yeah Jules, he does look like a bitch since you mention it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

BrigadierSensible posted:

Stephen King is over-rated.

Yes, he worte some good books, and some of them are good movies, (I like the original version of Carrie, and also the arse-weasel movie), but overall he is not deserving of the aura that surrounds him as a horror genius.

He wrote The Long Walk.

King sucks at a lot but he is god-tier at world-crafting. Dialogue, narrative, ending? Maybe not as much. But at constructing haunting scenarios that stick with you he is pretty good.