Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

re: Daredevil how is listening to heartbeats "kid stuff" or whatever compared to hearing breathing anyway? i'm not blind and i can generally hear people breathing if they're within a few steps but i definitely can't hear their hearts beating

didn't impact my enjoyment either but drat if that wasn't irrationally irritating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Krinkle posted:

Moused over a spoiler of the special guest of season 2 of daredevil in this thread and it made me catch up on the first season and start the third. They remade one of my favorite, only things I read them do when interacting with daredevil. Cool.

I guess my irrationally irritating movie moment is when someone said twelve rapid fire things that 100% for sure definitely signal they're going to die today. the guy who makes, and then fixes daredevil's helmet made the 2nd one indestructible. Bad move, buddy, now your job security is gone. He has turned down criminals who want him to make more special suits. Strike two, hombre, that's motive. He is wearing his own supply, but nothing on the face oh you're just loving asking for it. "Gotta stay strong for becky" you are so loving dead I've never even seen someone as dead as you. You half idiot lunk. Rest in piss.
you think they're going to write off Gladiator that quickly? nah.

lemme see where you're getting the third season from, though

also Betsy, not Becky.

stringless has a new favorite as of 08:59 on Mar 23, 2016

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Krinkle posted:

Oh he's a guy? A guy from things? I guess I'll go google that name but I've never heard of him.

They killed off ben urich, anyway, and I recognized him from things as a guy what ain't supposed to die.
yeah, they really shouldn't have done that.

and yes, Melvin Potter was established in the comics long before the show.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

John Big Booty posted:

True, but Zack Snyder is hardly a master of subtlety.
or anything whatsoever, while we're on the subject

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

BvS

just tell Wonder Woman to go get the spear

just say "Lex Luthor has my mother and if you're still listening he sent me here to kill you to keep her alive" like way before it gets to fisticuffs and way before walking towards the guy whose whole thing is being prepared (which you should know since he apparently lives just over there).

I still enjoyed the movie far more than I expected to.

The bit here through the Hamlet reference is probably why it didn't seem boring but everyone should watch it in its entirety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9LCwI5iErE&t=547s

it's all about perspective.

the dirt is the final chord and i'm okay with making this comparison

stringless has a new favorite as of 15:02 on Mar 29, 2016

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

"and how could she promise to kill the person directly responsible for said trauma? so weird"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

sassassin posted:

The Mummy Returns is great.
they turned into terrible parents of an 8-10-year-old in like two years

also the "omg there's a huge wave of sand coming right for us but maybe flying will save us" scene was one of the most ridiculous in the original and they replicated it twice

i'm fresh off of just watching the original a few days ago and Returns just now

so there

sorry for contributing rationally irritating movie moments

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Which was the one with the zombie pygmies?
that was Returns.

thanks for reminding me

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

About Scarjo being cast as the lead for Ghost in the Shell, can Hollywood just loving admit to whitewashing already?
even disregarding the whitewashing, we've seen her "i'm putting effort into this fighting" expression and that will absolutely not fit the Major.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Also, Mummy Returns had an egyptian sai fight.

That, in itself, should let you know that it is not a movie to expect to take seriously.
bladed sai fight, no less.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

dpack_1 posted:

This is up there with the shotgun *chook chook* noise that is used for every single gun ever. Including a double barrel shotgun in an episode of NCIS i believe? But has also been parodied to death in some rather humours ways elsewhere so at least some people are aware of bad foley artists.
i remember seeing some terrible sci-fi show that did this--with an AK-47--and the guy actually acted like he was pumping the foregrip.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

There's a running joke where a side character has visions of their jobs, and is writing a cheesy Goosebumps-esque series about them. Each episode is a book in the series. They go to a hotel that happens to be hosting a convention to investigate... a ghost I think? I forget exactly. But the con guests constantly poo poo on their crappy Sam and Dean costumes, and the episode is an opportunity for them to address some of their crazy fan stuff.
they're invited by the writer's assistant that's super into Sam at the time iirc and then it turns out there's actual work to do plus a wink and a nudge regarding how quickly they dig graves up.

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, most likely. The show's creator is a Hellblazer fan. There's actually a character on the show who dresses exactly like Constantine.

To the point that the show's crazy fans accused the show Constantine of stealing the character's look.
and he's a complete subversion while being at least as competent.

Len posted:

He wasn't the King of Hell originally but he ended up taking the position once Lucifer got locked in his box again. Crowley is the longest lasting antagonist and one of the least retarded characters on the show.
Mark Sheppard is always Crowley. Even in season one episode 12 of X-Files.

personally, i like the Sam Smith and Dean Wesson episode

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

The show's rules are explicitly that the Christian stuff is real, and all the others are false. They're just spirits, elementals, etc. that were worshiped enough to gain a lot of power, but are still nothing next to the Christian powers.
i was incredibly irritated when the Trickster turned out to be The Archangel Gabriel "in hiding"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Randomly decided to start watching The Messengers because it's on Netflix so mild spoilers.

So the devil is playing chess for an incredibly obvious "when you least expect it, checkmate" "we are such clever writers" moment.

But despite not getting a full view of the board it can't possibly be an actual checkmate.

Though the message could be "the devil is really good at bluffing" i doubt it.

(second episode about 29 minutes in if anyone wants to see)

also, token "i'm an atheist" character sees herself and companions with wings in a mirror, it is acknowledged that they all saw it, and then is still staunchly against any reasonable course of action whilst being totally certain that a video she saw of a random eight-year-old boy has to be her son that has been missing for over seven years "because i'm his mother, that's how".

lol episode 3 ~9:30 in "then you can enjoy watching him both die"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

FFT posted:

Randomly decided to start watching The Messengers because it's on Netflix so mild spoilers.
episode 5

why aren't you punching the devil

he's right there

at least they finally loving sat down and talked about "hey this is what the devil looks like" after everyone had already met him in some way but cool there's a rogue secondary teenager that wasn't privy to the conversation why am i still watching this

ep 6 there's a swingarm gate not connected to a fence or anything blocking a dirt road in a wooded area, guess we have to get out of the jeep and start walking~

stringless has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Apr 25, 2016

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The most IIMM about THE MESSENGERS is that dude's cell phone understanding what the gently caress he is saying with that horrible accent, when he asks it something.

"where can i play chess in a park"

um

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

Just started watching The Messengers because of you guys talking about it in this thread.

They just did the "Well how did you know that's who I was talking about, I never said their name! Gotcha!" gag in back to back episodes
yeah

the devil's kind of a ditz, i guess?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Screaming Idiot posted:

EDIT: Actually, this post was a little douchey, so I rescind it.

i hope it was basically "AND HOW THE gently caress DO MERPEOPLE BREED, ANYWAY"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I've read the comics and I enjoyed it.
Same.

It is enjoyably solid.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Club Dread

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Been watching Person of Interest since it's been brought up a bunch and ~netflix~

somewhere late Season 2

Why didn't they just ask the machine who was in charge of HR while they had 24 hours of admin access? Or, i don't know, maybe ask for an email with a spiffy flowchart for the entire operation, and flowcharts for every other organized crime syndicate in New York--nay--the world?

/e on a few minutes more of thought, ask it to email conclusive evidence to every DA and ADA in the country but then that's ~exposure~ i guess plus you'd have to clarify to exclude John and the Bird Crew.

so much wasted potential

counterpoint S3E11 ha! he used the old school captain crunch phreak! credit

also, the soundtrack got loads better going into season 3 which has been great, especially with one track i'm particularly fond of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5yFx6Kn0iU

stringless has a new favorite as of 12:11 on Jun 24, 2016

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

dirksteadfast posted:

A regional IIMM for me:

Finally got around to seeing The Usual Suspects after many years, and all of the characters pronounce "San Pedro" correctly. That is, "San Peh-dro". Problem is, no one in the LA area would ever pronounce it like that, outside of people actually speaking Spanish. Everyone pronounces it "San Pee-dro", because Angelenos are all horrible at pronouncing Spanish words for some reason.

I would pronounce it "San Pay-dro", how wrong am I?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Biplane posted:

My irrationally irritating movie moment about John Wick is that it ended.
My irrationally irritating movie moment about John Wick 2 is that it isn't out yet.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

She flies eventually in the comics, probably will do some in season 2 or Defenders

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

re: Jessica Jones

She (or someone else) definitely does the headphones thing at some point.

also, DOUBLE SPOILER though I think by episode 5 you're supposed to have picked this up, she's immune to Kilgrave's power

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

a while back, but:

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, that actually seems decently likely. The movie even makes a point of telling us that there's an anti-meteor defensive network around earth, which went conspicuously unmentioned after Buenos Aires was hit: https://youtu.be/S-s4lEk91ng?t=34s
And then the movie immediately goes "ONE YEAR EARLIER" to hammer home that this defense system is a recent development

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Thaddius the Large posted:

I haven't seen the new Westworld, but unless that character is literally Burt Gummer, I'll probably be disappointed.

he's kind of a cross between Burt Gummer and Muldoon

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd say 'Predator vs superheroes' but there's been crossovers with Batman before I'm pretty sure.
Notable comic crossovers:

Batman versus Predator (1991)
Batman versus Predator II: Bloodmatch (1993)
Superman vs. Aliens (1995)
Tarzan versus Predator: At the Earth's Core (1996)
Batman/Aliens (1997)
Predator versus Judge Dredd (1997)
Batman versus Predator III: Blood Ties (1997)
Overkill: Witchblade/Aliens/Darkness/Predator (1999)
Aliens versus Predator versus The Terminator (2000)
Superman vs. Predator (2000)
Green Lantern versus Aliens (2000)
Witchblade/Aliens/Darkness/Predator: Mindhunter (2000)
JLA versus Predator (2001)
Superman vs. Aliens II: God War (2002)
Batman/Aliens II (2002)
Judge Dredd versus Aliens: Incubus (2002)
Superman and Batman vs. Aliens and Predator (2007)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: In Space No One Can Hear You Slay! (2012)
Archie vs. Predator (2015)
Aliens/Vampirella (2015)
Predator vs. Judge Dredd vs. Aliens: Splice and Dice (2016)
Archie vs. Predator II (2019)

Almost all of these were multiple-issue runs.

stringless has a new favorite as of 12:11 on Jul 21, 2021

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

GazChap posted:

And then the main character and his unit buddies get teleported to the future, where they immediately have to start a mission to recover some poo poo, and halfway through loads of aliens turn up and start loving them up.

Why were the aliens there? By its own rules, the aliens should have all been asleep while they were doing this stuff.
They explicitly have to jump early because the important place is being attacked

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

I thought it was dumb that they did some weird mix of old and new designs for characters. Also it was really bizarre that they go to Heaven and learn that normal people don't get an afterlife, only heroes do.
Did they leave any wiggle room for like a Greek afterlife where there's Good, Boring, and Bad places or just straight up "only heroes live forever" lol

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Just gonna go ahead and put out there that I did a slow sad remix of Baby One More Time earlier this year.

https://soundcloud.com/duskimpending/hit-me-remix

It's more gothic industrial than whatever Gary Jules' Mad World is but it still kinda fits the bill.

lmao are those the drums from Clubbed to Death

anyway if we're posting tonal change remixes here's a thing i did 11 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vynbH2DUJ3o

stringless has a new favorite as of 09:20 on Jul 30, 2021

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's from this little tune you've probably never heard of, something about levees failing I dunno

:doh:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Movie's not going to last very long if the protagonist makes sure to finish the job after momentarily knocking down the villain

"Haha, now I have the advantage! Anyway, see you around!"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Forget it, Taeke, it's Pokemontown.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I walked past Marc Warren in front of the Bellagio when Hustle was still on the air, 100% sure it was him. But I couldn't remember his character's name, much less his actual name, so I didn't make it weird.

Checked later, he was in Vegas for his birthday.

Years later, I awkwardly shuffled past Evanna Lynch while deboarding in Scotland.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnmJALXh_sI

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

New Suicide Squad: why would he not simply use lanyards? Or even monofilament lanyards, given that the gadget weapons are clearly controlled by intention

/e: okay, not monofilament lanyards, that wouldn't work well in the long or shortened limbs run

stringless has a new favorite as of 11:21 on Aug 7, 2021

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I'm watching The Objective and there's a scene where they are waiting for a chopper and to signal where they are, at night, they use green glow sticks. For a chopper that's going to be using night vision. That's green.

They should use either uv or red, and I get that it's less neat looking for the movie scene, but every time the protags use night vision in the movie so far it's lime green. It's not a big leap of logic to go "Maybe we should use white ones?" so it seems a bit less dumb and pointless. Green glow sticks are not going to show up at all on green night vision. It'll just look like the soldiers are having a vogue off on the mountain.
Are you under the impression that green glow sticks are the same brightness as the surrounding area and would therfore be invisible with night vision?

That said, for IR-based night vision systems there are indeed IR glow sticks

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

rydiafan posted:

He who? Use lanyards for what?

I saw The Suicide Squad and I have no idea what you're talking about.
You don't remember a character conspicuously losing all of his modular gun parts? You might have missed it when they were getting very obviously torn out of his hands.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It's actually bdsm.

(I assume that joke is older than I am)
They called it a restraining bolt so, uh, yeah probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

he's gone on record about "feeling" so he's probably just going "people should be talking" and "if I can't hear poo poo neither should anyone else"