Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

moonmazed posted:

david thewlis was great as an insane french cathar in barkskins, which i was the only person to watch

I haven't seen it mentioned yet , but my introduction to him was Dragonheart. His over the top evil king character was absolutely incredible. I have been a fan since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
I just watched the new Antman. I like to have fun, so I let a lot of poo poo slide, and it is pretty fun. The part that got me though was in the credits scene: When they have all the Kang variants in some temple, it feels very "Council of Rick's". I'm sure someone is going to let me know that is what R&M was spoofing in the first place, but it was still the first thing I thought of and it made it feel very hokey.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

christmas boots posted:

There is an equivalent in the comics but IIRC in that case it’s actually just the same Kang from different points of his very long timeline
That makes sense, but this was definitely multiversal because there were different alien versions of him, not just human.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I've not read many of the comics (I'm a DC guy), but I'm starting to see a pattern that Reed Richards is a mad scientist that is only good because he doesn't actively pursue evil intensions and that's basically it? Wasn't he also responsible the whole Marvel Zombies scenario?

Now I am really wanting them to cast Glenn Howerton as Reed in the MCU.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

didnt Disney Plus have a What If? episode? it was their first big boy MA rated thing with the Marvel ip iirc too.

Yes, and they have an entire Marvel Zombies spin-off series coming too.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
It was my impression (and I could be way off) that it was the council that banished him. Of all the evil ones, he was either the least or most evil version that was trying to weaken or destroy them so they got rid of him. My vote is that it was actually the "least" evil version and that he would have returned them all home after escaping and hosed back off to fight the Council, but his defeat has now put a target on the world of the MCU. They will probably have to go back and free him from that thing to get his help to defeat all the other Kangs. I figure we will get some of the "who's who" cleared up in season 2 of Loki.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
This is why only the supernatural "the dead are rising because hell is full" zombie plots where there is no explanation and they just keep coming are the only scary ones. It makes it a much more permanent problem and would absolutely collapse all societies everywhere. As soon as you try to explain how it works, it all falls apart and is no longer fun. It's the same thing with time travel.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

IIMM: Encanto bullshit. The engagement dinner? It should be a loving HONOR to marry into magical family, to the point it should be the hopeful suitor and his mom bowing to get a chance to propose. Like everyone in the town should be praying one of their kids can marry into the magical family. But the movie plays it that the family is Super Lucky to get this rando to marry Isabella.

I assumed that the pool of eligible bachelors of an appropriate age was basically just Mariano.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Other than Mrs. Doubtfire and Ant-Man, has there been a movie ever where divorced couples/parents don't loving get back together at the end because the trials of the movie make them realize they really do love each other after all and whatever reason they divorced is totally fine now (he cheated, she spent too much time shopping, they both hate each other)?

Would Cast Away count? They never married or divorced each other, and they do still love each other very much; but they still don't get together in the end.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I'm pretty sure Cinderella was the one that kicked off this whole trend, and yeah, it was pretty bad. I actually like the villain origin ones myself. Maleficent and Cruela were both a lot of fun. I'm not sure how I feel about making villains sympathetic characters, but its a little more creative than just a shot for shot remake, imo.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Should try more Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead remakes, retelling the story through side characters.

Also Disney should embrace absurdism. The movement still has more to say!

This is a favorite of mine as well. And by chance my daughter was watching Lion King 1 1/2 the other day, and I had the exact same thought because it is basically RGAD'ing The Lion King (which is basically a Hamlet clone) but with Timon and Pumba.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I want somebody to do a live action movie based on the Hunchback of Notre Dame before Disney does. It is in public domain.

Ask and Broken Lizard provides: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1609497/

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

gently caress your life. Bing bong.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also, I will never know why the werewolves hid from the vampires for so long. They were immortal, just like the vampires. Stronger, in their wolf form, than the vampires. And could walk around in the daylight.

I only ever saw the first 2 movies, but I thought the vampires created the werewolves to be their daytime protectors and the werewolves rebelled against them but the vampires still had some kind of control over them. I don't really remember and don't really feel like delving too deep into it.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

...Spiderman, Daredevil or Batman aren't ever going to die in any meaningful sense...

Batman died at the end of The Dark Knight Rises in a heroic sacrifice.

No, no, no, that scene at the end with Alfred was just wishful thinking/ hallucination.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

credburn posted:

... thinking about the goofiest and dumbest outcome of the trilogy...
To me, this was Alfred abandoning Bruce when he really needed him. That was completely out of character for Alfred. They just didn't know how to fit him in the story. They probably should have just killed him too to heighten the stakes for Bruce more. Anything other than him just noping the gently caress out because of one disagreement.

PhazonLink posted:

a city gov was able to pass a law to ignore constitutional rights, and the rest of the US Fed and what ever state Gotham is in was like. "okay" until it wasnt okay.
Also this.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I have a different issue with that new Trolls trailer. I've seen it a couple of times at the theater now, and I feel like I have seen the movie. It's so long and they show so much of it. They basically cover every major story beat and climactic scene that the ending pretty much becomes implied. It's like a speed run of the entire flick.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Jedit posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Sarah Polley quitting acting also had something to do with her turning 30 and still being best known for The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, which she made when she was eight.

The actress from Dawn of the Dead and Go? I'm learning some poo poo today.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
That was going to be the sequel that will never happen.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I imagine the clones don't retire, the survivors just get promoted or get to be instructors. Like, why waste the experience?

By the way, I have no idea if the EU went into this or not, but it would be fun to see a clone battalion that defects after the Empire takes over. Maybe they'd be mercs, maybe they'd join the rebellion. Feels like there's a lot of cool directions you could take that in.

The newest season of The Bad Batch actually goes into some of the Senators trying to pass a Clone Rights Bill, because the Empire essentially "decommissioned old hardware" and cut them loose. They are galactically homeless and treated very poorly.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Something kind of dumb about the new season of Futurama is that they want it both ways where they acknowledge real time has passed but also don't want their characters aging. Which leads to dumb stuff like an episode that follows up on a 20 year promise and the very next episode having Dwight show up the same age as before.

Side effect of the previous chronol-anomalous event, don't think about it too hard; it's fine. Carry on.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Leave posted:

I like the Yuuzhan Vong.
My favorite thing about them was that everything including their ships were living biotech, and if I remember correctly, their foreign biology from a different universe made them immune to the Force. I admit, that I never read the books and all I know about them I learned from the old Star Wars tabletop rpg.

Some of their other tech I liked was the gravity well generators that would slam moons and planets together and their singularity mines that created mini, instantaneous black holes then collapsed (like the ones the Dark Elves use in Thor 2, if anybody remembers those).

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

The idea that someone could be immune to the Force is completely stupid.
I think the idea was that their universe was so fundamentally different that the Force could not bind to them, like oil and water. I could be misremembering. I don't dislike the idea of some things existing "outside" the Force, but I can also see that getting lame quickly if handled poorly.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
They have shown to have free-will but no agency. They are bought, traded and sold and treated as objects. They also have been programmed to feel pain (per the droid torture room) and fear death, I assume to further their understanding of consequences. A droid in the SW Universe is a slave at worst and a pet at best.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

IIMM: I always hated the sequels of Star Wars and I know Disney hosed it up, but for me where they really dropped it, at the start, was making Ben loving Solo instead of the three kids from the EU: the twins and then the older son? I know one of the dudes turned to the Dark Side. There, three possibly interesting characters instead of loving Kyo Ren, who legit reminded me of the fan theory that Han Solo wasn't his dad but Boba Fett was.
Agreed. Also, why the gently caress did he get the name Ben? Han and Leia had no connection to Obi-Wan the way Luke did. That's why Luke and Mara Jade's son was named Ben Skywalker. Hell, naming Kylo (Ben) after Luke would have made more sense and been even more of a heavy blow to their connection in the sequels.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
poo poo, you're right, I didn't consider that series. They did have an adventure together. I was just thinking about his time, pre- and post-death, training Luke. Leia never interacted with Obi-Wan later on.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

quote:

Mr Satan
I never watched it but had a coworker that would always talk about it, and I remember them saying that the joke of the name was the he was the only major American character. Is that true, because I always found that funny?

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
Never seen it, but how likely would it have been for them to use the cables and winch to just pull the roof off the house and smoke them all at once? Work smarter not harder!

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Torquemada posted:

As the pitch meeting guy says, so that the movie can happen.
I know, I know. That is the answer to most of these irritating moments. Isn't playing Captain Hindsight half the fun?

10 Beers posted:

It's on Netflix right now! Please go watch it!
Wait, I have seen this! James Woods and the lesser Baldwin; I don't remember this scene but I remember thinking that movie was wacko.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is the lesser Baldwin Danny or Stephen?
Danny. Stephen is the least. William is Baldwin II and Alec is obviously Baldwin Prime.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Vader's whole deal is being an inhuman, mysterious magical monster that's above anything else in the Empire. To concede to others threatens that entire deal.
Within the Empire, Vader was effectively 3rd in command (arguably lower if you include the Emperor's closest advisors). He was 2nd to Palpatine, but Tarkin had military rank over him and vastly more resources. Vader was always treated like a leashed animal.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Honestly the most surprising thing is some one like that made it that high up in that sort of government. Possibly just mistakenly thought he was indispensable or something. Historically always a mistake.
I was curious because I never bothered to look him up before, but his name was Conan Motti. He was from a wealthy family and was the Chief of the Imperial Navy and Commander of the Death Star's fleet. The meeting he was choked in was a meeting of the Joint Chiefs of the Imperial Military. I especially enjoyed this quote:

wookieepedia posted:

Nevertheless, he later submitted a sharply worded incident report criticizing what he characterized as Vader's attempt at religious proselytization, further stressing his confidence and his pride in the battle station.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

rydiafan posted:

Somebody saw it was by a Miyazaki and got confused.
This is what tricked me into watching it. Not to mention that the story ultimately goes nowhere because (I assume) they were planning on a sequel that never happened. Just an all around terrible experience.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Leave posted:

This seems like a good case for animation, but unfortunately, that's not a common medium for adults in the US. Animated adaptations would make a lot of sense for King's style, too, I think.
This would be true for many stories, and I would definitely be on board. I've never read King's books but tend to enjoy the adaptations and I would watch any one of his stories animated. From what I know about it, this may be the only way to get a proper Dark Tower told.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Clark Griswold isn't Pierce Hawthorne.
This. It's odd, I don't even hardly recognize them as the same actors.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
What the gently caress is Steven Universe about?! I thought it was a kid's show? :psyduck:

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

It's a kid's show that goes into very mature themes because the writers know children can handle them. Apparently, many adults cannot though as it has some really stupid takes online sometimes from people willfully misreading it. One of the more common dumb takes is treating Fusion as a metaphor for sex when it's not, it's a metaphor for all kinds of relationships, some romantic (like Ruby and Sapphire), some familial.
That could be cool. I have never seen it and only really knew the character designs in passing, but had zero clue about story or themes.

dr_rat posted:

I have no idea, but I know when ever you see a post talk about it you should just skip over it, as none of it will make any sense what so ever no matter how many times you re-read it.

Also never ask anyone to explain it. It will also make no sense. Some things are just best left not to know I guess. :shrug:

Edit:

Okay this actually seems like a good one sentence summary that makes sense.
Yeah, this may be the best route for me for now. I have a 4yo though, and assume she will discover it or something similar and then I'll put in the effort. lol

I also liked that summary and all the others that are popping up too. Seems to have a dedicated fanbase.

Ommin has a new favorite as of 04:04 on Oct 24, 2023

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I've not read it, but apparently the novelization of Rises mentions that when Bane emptied all the prisons, he left Joker locked up because he was too much of a liability to be free.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

Being able to disrupt Banes plans to just have fun and show how even their ideological purity can be broken, even talk league of shadows people into being his henchmen would have been really cool.
Absolutely. Or instead of Catwoman, Batman breaks out the Joker to be the big distraction. Ledger dying was a huge blow to Nolan's plan. I doubt Rises would be anywhere near the same movie it is had he lived. I have no proof of that, just the way it feels. Like people have said before, the way the Joker just disappears from the movie makes me think that his story was meant to carry over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Zero_Grade posted:

I've come full circle on the Schumacher Batmans, from originally liking them as a dumb kid, to thinking they're ridiculous, to now thinking they're still ridiculous but it owns. Give me more ice puns and bat buns!
A fan theory I read recently that has become my new head cannon is that the Riddler's Box plan from Forever was turned on long enough before he was defeated that it still was able to drain the intelligence from most Gothamites. That's why, by the time of B&R, the city has become so cartoonish.