Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Wasn't there also a goon who killed and raped (In that order) a little girl who lived next door to him?

Goons are hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I don't think he was a goon, he just played some lovely browser MMO that goons also played, and some kind of knew him.

Fragrag posted:

Goon murderers? Well, there was Bomber1666. I remember the thread shortly after I registered and I remember several goons coming out the woodwork who were somehow related to the victims. :smith:

Ooh, I remember that thread.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Wasn't there also a goon who killed and raped (In that order) a little girl who lived next door to him?

Goons are hosed up.

Was that aatrek?

Scary and unnerving? I'd say Byron Smith :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_David_Smith_killings

He parked his car behind his house and hid in the basement so that people would think no one was in, then he waited and he made a recording of the event when two teenagers broke in, and then he shot them. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/hear-graphic-audio-catches-moment-byron-smith-guns-teens-article-1.1776145

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Crankit posted:

Was that aatrek?

Scary and unnerving? I'd say Byron Smith :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_David_Smith_killings

He parked his car behind his house and hid in the basement so that people would think no one was in, then he waited and he made a recording of the event when two teenagers broke in, and then he shot them. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/hear-graphic-audio-catches-moment-byron-smith-guns-teens-article-1.1776145

No it wasn't Aatrek.

The guy wasn't a goon at all, he just gets posted in these creepy threads a lot and for some reason people get it mixed up.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ignimbrite posted:

Nature - from space, not nice old mother earth, that is, - can do us one better. Gamma Ray Bursts.

Basically, when a big enough star goes supernova, or hypernova, even, it will release a pulse of extremely energetic particles along its primary axis. We can see gamma ray bursts from other galaxies safely - hell, it's how we actually figure out how far away they are. But, if we had a star with the right orientation, pointing right at us, produce a gamma ray burst, we'd all be dead quick enough we couldn't literally see it coming until it was too late, not that we could actually DO anything about it, either. One of the big mass extinctions before the dinosaurs (The ordovician-silurian extinction event) could have been caused by a gamma ray burst.

Don't gently caress with nature.

And as luck would have it, there's a potential one basically pointed at us.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Not Wikipedia, but a post from these very forums in the Healthcare thread. I think it fits this one as well. Insanely :nms: story about what happens if you fall and can't get up...and no one finds you for a while.

elise the great posted:

I've been putting this story off for a while. First off, I promised everybody ~gross pictures~ and this post does not contain gross pictures. Besides, after the poo poo that I'm about to tell you guys, it's hard to get excited about a blurry phone shot of a cholecystectomy with abscess.

Sunday night, late, the ER called up with something unusual. A mother-son duo, found down, she headed for the SCU and he for the ICU. "Sorry," said the ER nurse. "It's pretty bad."

This, coming from an ER nurse, had us all suspecting the worst. We were absolutely not loving prepared in any way.

Our tiniest, sweetest nurse, she of the blonde hair and freckles, took the ICU admit. The guy was in his fifties, with a core temp of 29.5, horrific rhabdomyolysis (muscle breakdown from protracted flaccidity, which clogs up the kidneys and organs with toxins), and "areas of skin breakdown."

He was rotten. There's basically no other way to put it. Sheets and chunks of skin and underlying tissue on his ice-cold arms and legs, and even a pretty good swath on his flank, all rotten and gray and falling to bits. "Uh," said the noc doc, "make sure you don't warm him up too fast. We don't want that poo poo hitting his core too fast."

The frantic search for family began. Fortunately, as his nurse and I worked to clean and salvage and semi-stabilize his rapidly dying body, they found the family pretty quick-- turns out they'd been the ones to make the welfare check call.

As we poured bottles of saline rinse over his wounds and pounded him with huge boluses of insulin/dextrose/bicarbonate to control his soaring potassium, the doctor pieced together the story: the man lived with his aging, profoundly Alzheimers-ridden mother, her sole and dedicated caretaker, and the rest of the family lived out of state and called in every Sunday to make sure everything was all right. Last Sunday everything was fine; this Sunday nobody answered the phone, so they called the neighbors, and when the neighbors reported a cold dark locked house they called the police.

It seemed, from the EMT report and the family's schedule, that he had fallen some time last Sunday or Monday night, possibly from a stroke, and lain in the kitchen floor with his arm still in the open fridge ever since. His muscles began to rot, and fouled up his kidneys.

His mother, confused and demented, apparently managed to feed and water herself for at least a couple more days, judging from her relative condition. She seems to have been up and moving, walking from her bedroom to the kitchen, pouring herself a glass of water and having a bite of toast, a few feet of linoleum from her dying immobile son. She likely didn't even recognize that he was a person.

After a few days, though, perhaps Wednesday or Thursday, the smell of his feces and rotting flesh had apparently begun to bother her, and she'd tried to move him. Weak with inadequate food and advanced age, however, she'd slipped, fallen, broken her hip and femur, and lain atop his cold, still-breathing body for days.

Days.

The doctor tried to explain code status to them, and how he would likely not survive CPR. Meanwhile, his nurse and I discovered that he still withdrew slightly to noxious stimulus-- a sternal rub got us a grimace, a hard fingernail-pinch warranted a twitch of the fingers.

He was, somehow, faintly awake.

The family agreed quickly to a status change, and the doctor began gently suggesting a withdrawal of life support, to shift from life-saving to comfort care. As he broached the topic, our patient started to drop into little spurts of V-tach, showing that our life-saving efforts were far too little, far too late.

So we dosed him with fentanyl and versed and switched our focus to postmortem care, wrapping wounds and washing the body. Death might be inevitable, but there are other duties to the dead.

On closer inspection, we found worse things. The wounds on his legs were not intact, not merely rotted. Several colors of short hairs were embedded in the flesh, and weird ragged marks were scored into the skin around the wound. Yes, our mother-son duo kept cats, and after a few days without food, the cats had turned to the closest source of protein.

They had been eating him. For days, probably. Chunks of his legs were simply missing. There was a pretty good section gnawed on his flank around the rotten patch there, which (upon closer inspection) sloughed off like wet pastry from a gooey filling, revealing the yellow bubbles of internal fat... with fang-marks.

The family understood. Mourning, they chose to let him go, and we raised his dose of fentanyl and versed and pulled the breathing tube out.

Next door, his mother lay in her bed, awaiting surgical repair of her injuries, convinced she was in a hotel and asking everyone for snacks. She is, to the best of my knowledge, still alive. She's a sweetheart, but so degraded by Alzheimers that she can't remember what a pillow does. It's for the best, probably. Better for her, and for her family, that the events of the previous week be absorbed into the vacant fog of dementia.

Because, as we dressed her son's body for the morgue, as we poured peppermint spirits into our masks and poured the stuff into the trash cans and smeared the stuff on every lintel and doorpost of the ICU like an echo of the first Passover, a guard against the stench of someone's dying firstborn-- as we gagged our way through rotten gnawed carrion and filled in missing places with wadded gauze, we realized that the marks on his legs were sharp gouges like tiny serrated knives, and the marks on his arms were half-moons.

One can only imagine what went through her mind, lying for days on her own house's floor, while her dehydrated and slowly dissolving mind robbed her of words like "kitchen" and "refrigerator" and "son." One can only imagine what connections she made, as the animals that lived in her house discovered the cold meal laid for them, and her stomach growled in response.

We wrote nothing of this on the chart, of course. No sense in burdening the family, with no decisions to be made from any of these suspicions. We rounded out the gnawed parts with bandages, bagged him up, and carried him away in silence.

(His nurse went home.)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The entire health care stories thread could be copy and pasted into this thread but yeah, Elise's stories are something else.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

spixxor posted:

Not Wikipedia, but a post from these very forums in the Healthcare thread. I think it fits this one as well. Insanely :nms: story about what happens if you fall and can't get up...and no one finds you for a while.

Jesus Christ.

shock.wav
May 25, 2009

Saiphiriel posted:

It reminds of one of my alltime favourites, the Taman Shud Case:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taman_Shud_case

From my experience (I've lived in Adelaide all my life, and known of this story for about 6 years) nobody in Adelaide has ever heard about this. And it's fascinating.

It makes me wonder if there are other towns around the world which may have an incredible story attached to them that the residents just don't acknowledge.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Jambo Jambos posted:

http://allkindsofhistory.wordpress.com/2011/02/13/an-abandoned-lifeboat-at-worlds-end/

Bouvet Island lies in the furthest reaches of the storm-wracked Southern Ocean, far south even of the Roaring Forties. It is a speck of ice in the middle of a freezing fastness: a few square miles of uninhabited volcanic basalt groaning under several hundred feet of glacier, scraped raw by gales, shrouded by drifts of sea-fog, and utterly devoid of trees, shelter, or landing places.

So how did a rowing boat, a forty-four gallon drum and a pair of oars appear on the island. Whose were they? What happened them?

This blog is a gem; a lot of really interesting stuff, and well-written. I found the story of the family living isolated in the Russian taiga for decades again, which I loved. It was posted in the old thread but I'll post it again in case anyone hasn't read it: http://allkindsofhistory.wordpress.com/2013/01/28/lost-in-the-taiga/

A team of geologists discovers a family of six living in complete isolation after having retreated into the Siberian mountains from Peter the Great's religious persecution. The youngest children had never seen another human face and spoke to each other in their own dialect.

quote:

The silence was suddenly broken by sobs and lamentations. Only then did we see the silhouettes of two women. One was in hysterics, praying: ‘This is for our sins, our sins.’ The other, keeping behind a post… sank slowly to the floor. The light from the little window fell on her wide, terrified eyes, and we realized we had to get out of there as quickly as possible.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spixxor posted:

:gonk:
Is this a PYF thread, or somewhere else? I'm morbidly curious.

Does youtube count for the thread? I forget when I subscribed, but Tats does various lists. Namely, creepy stories and the like. Here's a classic one, non-gaming creepypastas. It includes goon favorite Slenderman, and some honestly creepy stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjCHTSMGuY

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Manuel Calavera posted:

:gonk:
Is this a PYF thread, or somewhere else? I'm morbidly curious.

Does youtube count for the thread? I forget when I subscribed, but Tats does various lists. Namely, creepy stories and the like. Here's a classic one, non-gaming creepypastas. It includes goon favorite Slenderman, and some honestly creepy stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjCHTSMGuY

It's in The Goon Doctor. Click the username in the top of the quote where it says "elise the great posted" and you will be taken directly to it in the original thread.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Kimmalah posted:

No it wasn't Aatrek.

The guy wasn't a goon at all, he just gets posted in these creepy threads a lot and for some reason people get it mixed up.

This guy's testimony is one of the few things I wish I could unread.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yeah, I think it was linked in the "Soul crushing thread", it definitely lived up to title of that thread. Ugh.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

shock.wav posted:

From my experience (I've lived in Adelaide all my life, and known of this story for about 6 years) nobody in Adelaide has ever heard about this. And it's fascinating.

It makes me wonder if there are other towns around the world which may have an incredible story attached to them that the residents just don't acknowledge.

You must knock around in a parallel dimension, because in my experience it's pretty well-known among Adelaide folk.

But nowhere near as well-known as DUN-DUN-DUNNNNN the Beaumont children (who were coincidentally taken from somewhere very near the Taman Shud guy):

quote:

[the Beaumont children] were three siblings who disappeared from Glenelg Beach near Adelaide, South Australia on Australia Day (26 January) 1966.

Their case resulted in one of the largest police investigations in Australian criminal history and remains one of Australia's most infamous cold cases.

The huge attention given to this case, its significance in Australian criminal history, and the fact that the mystery of their disappearance has never been explained, has led to the story being revisited by the press on a regular basis. It is also viewed by many social commentators as a significant event in the evolution of Australian society, with a large number of people changing the way they supervised their children on a daily basis.

No trace was ever found of the Beaumonts. The chief suspect is Bevan Spencer von Einem, who was arrested for another murder in the early 1980s, as well as being a "suspected serial killer" (according to Wiki's wording). This is where it gets especially creepy and weird:

quote:

One of the witnesses, regarded as highly credible by police, related a conversation in which von Einem boasted of having taken three children from a beach several years earlier, and said he had taken them home to conduct experiments. He said he had performed surgery on each of them, and had "connected them together". One of the children had died during the procedure and so he had killed the other two and dumped all the bodies in bushland south of Adelaide.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I love lost gold mines. Ever since I was a kid I thought they were cool: http://offbeatoregon.com/1207b-crater-lake-discovered-by-legendary-gold-mine-seekers.html

If anyone is looking for a good book on the subject check out "Dig Here!" which despite being published by a super sketchy publisher that also publishes UFO books is an extremely well researched look at the various lost mines of the South West. The title is mislead though, the book should really be called "and it probably never existed" since thats the general summary of a good 75% of all the mines.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

InediblePenguin posted:

It's in The Goon Doctor. Click the username in the top of the quote where it says "elise the great posted" and you will be taken directly to it in the original thread.

I forget about that upgrade sometimes. I am smart. :downs:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yeah, that's why I just linked to his fairly limited Wiki article instead of that.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Double Plus Good posted:

It was posted in the old thread but I'll post it again in case anyone hasn't read it: http://allkindsofhistory.wordpress.com/2013/01/28/lost-in-the-taiga/

You posted in the other thread about this dude who was obsessed with you, right? You should retell that story, it was p unnerving.

ChickenOfTomorrow has a new favorite as of 04:57 on May 18, 2014

ruarc
Oct 22, 2008

what

Kimmalah posted:

No it wasn't Aatrek.

This was all over the news here, as Purcell isn't far from where I live.

KXII
Murder Charge Filed in Purcell Death
Services For Slain Girl Held in Purcell

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

You posted in the other thread about this dude who was obsessed with you, right? You should retell that story, it was p unnerving.

It's rare that they catch them before they escalate to going after people. I would be interested in this story too.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

You posted in the other thread about the dude who was obsessed with you, right? You should retell that story, it was p unnerving.
(would y'all mind removing the link? It's not a hard story to find but I don't want my university linked with my account here... sorry, after something like that you get a little paranoid. :shobon: It's a very, very small school. )

Yeah. It's a short story, but definitely not something I ever thought I'd be dealing with. Dude was in my social circle, although I didn't know him very well. He was in a fraternity that I had a mixer with. He messaged me on FB and after some casual conversation asked for my number, saying that he needed someone to talk to and that I seemed like I could help him. I gave it to him and he texted me a fair bit after that. I had assumed he was gay, actually, so when he started inviting me over to his apartment to drink wine and "let the words flow like water," I got a little skeeved out and told him I wasn't interested in anything but being friends. Then things started to escalate, and he would send me weird, vague messages, and call me asking to meet with him. He kept saying that he just needed to tell me "one thing and it will all be over." I never met with him. This was during this tense period where the police kept finding mutilated cat corpses around campus, being displayed in more elaborate ways. One was strung up on a flag pole in the middle of campus. A few days after Halloween I got out of class and had like 40 messages from friends who had heard before me that the guy had been arrested as the suspect. I'm really, really glad that I never met with him alone. I had been posting on Facebook about the cat killings, like everyone else, because I love cats and am involved with some humane society stuff. He liked a few of the pictures I posted of my own cat.

So there's not much to the story. A guy who seemed normal if a little troubled messaged me wanting to meet up and confess something, turns out to have been mutilating cats.That's the last I heard of him. It still really bothers me that he has my phone number and knows a lot of information about me just from being Facebook friends.

edit: went back through my old text messages and found this. I couldn't remember the exact words he used, but this is the message that still makes me shiver every now and then.

really glad I never went to speak with him in person.

Double Plus Good has a new favorite as of 05:10 on May 17, 2014

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

The entire health care stories thread could be copy and pasted into this thread but yeah, Elise's stories are something else.

Meh, seems too embroidered to be real.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.
It reminds me of something 50 Foot Ant once posted about a little girl who was brought to a hospital and found to be literally rotting from the inside out. I'm hoping this story is fake too because I'd like to believe health care professionals don't post patient information in lurid, pulp-magazine story format on the internet on a regular basis.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

All on Black posted:

It reminds me of something 50 Foot Ant once posted about a little girl who was brought to a hospital and found to be literally rotting from the inside out. I'm hoping this story is fake too because I'd like to believe health care professionals don't post patient information in lurid, pulp-magazine story format on the internet on a regular basis.

it was posted by 50 Foot Ant, it was probably not true and also about how he beat someone up and also has a hot pregnant wife (so hot (so pregnant))

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Double Plus Good posted:

(would y'all mind removing the link? It's not a hard story to find but I don't want my university linked with my account here... sorry, after something like that you get a little paranoid. :shobon: It's a very, very small school. )

Then things started to escalate, and he would send me weird, vague messages, and call me asking to meet with him. He kept saying that he just needed to tell me "one thing and it will all be over." I never met with him.

Gotta be honest, this gave me a chill. Talk about dodging a bullet.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
God drat, Double Plus Good. :stare: Give yourself a hug for me or something, that's scary as poo poo. Jesus gently caress.

All on Black posted:

For one, she's proven she's a real nurse in that thread, and for two, you do realize that story fully complies with the law, right? You can't identify your patients or give away details that make it easy to, but recounting a story while abiding by those guidelines doesn't seem very bad to me. It's a coping mechanism for the most part, I'm pretty sure. I'd certainly feel the need to vent if I was her, reading that thread a few weeks ago made me realize just how much poo poo nurses put up with in both senses of the word. A bloo bloo somebody told a story in which the patients are for all intents and purposes completely anonymous to anyone who reads them, who cares?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I just read about the Ruby Ridge siege, that poo poo was a Kafkaesque series of hideous escalations. A man suspected of selling an illegal shotgun was erroneously told to appear on court on March 20, when his scheduled court date was February 20. One thing led to another, and armed commandos killed the man's wife, son, and dog.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I just read about the Ruby Ridge siege, that poo poo was a Kafkaesque series of hideous escalations. A man suspected of selling an illegal shotgun was erroneously told to appear on court on March 20, when his scheduled court date was February 20. One thing led to another, and armed commandos killed the man's wife, son, and dog.

And apparently the same sniper who broke ROE at Ruby Ridge was present as well during the Waco siege.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Fragrag posted:

And apparently the same sniper who broke ROE at Ruby Ridge was present as well during the Waco siege.

Holy poo poo, Timothy McVeigh wanted to kill that guy before he decided to do the bombing instead.

I wonder if he's going to be there when the FBI finally gets sick of Cliven Bundy's poo poo, so he can pull a paranoid nutjob hat trick.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

All on Black posted:

I remember reading that post and starting to cry. Half way through it for some reason I decided to double check who the poster was. Once I saw "50 Foot Ant" I was so drat relived because that meant it wasn't true.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Of course there's no such thing as a 50 foot ant. :rolleyes: Some people will believe anything.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

RCarr posted:

Of course there's no such thing as a 50 foot ant. :rolleyes: Some people will believe anything.
:colbert:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

20 feet tops
:colbert:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Them was clearly a documentary.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

DoctorWhat posted:

Them was clearly a documentary.

OK, I was being facetious. But even small ants can be scary and unnerving.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_ant
Ant mega-colony takes over world

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Ant chat and no one's mentioned cordyceps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyceps

quote:

Some current and former Cordyceps species are able to affect the behaviour of their insect host: Ophiocordyceps unilateralis (formerly Cordyceps unilateralis) causes ants to climb a plant and attach there before they die. This ensures the parasite's environment is at an optimal temperature and humidity, and that maximal distribution of the spores from the fruiting body that sprouts out of the dead insect is achieved.[4] Marks have been found on fossilised leaves that suggest this ability to modify the host's behaviour evolved more than 48 million years ago.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I, too, have played The Last of Us.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

LoonShia posted:

I, too, have played The Last of Us.

Nah, videos of that poo poo went viral in early ... 2000s? Aughties? ... Naughties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Zopotantor posted:

OK, I was being facetious. But even small ants can be scary and unnerving.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_ant
Ant mega-colony takes over world

Big deal, just apply flame.