Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

spixxor posted:

Not Wikipedia, but a post from these very forums in the Healthcare thread. I think it fits this one as well. Insanely :nms: story about what happens if you fall and can't get up...and no one finds you for a while.

Is there a way I can un-read this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_New_Zealand_Flight_901

In 1979 an Air New Zealand DC10 crashed into Mt Erebus, Antarctica. It was a regular sightseeing tour but the flight plan was altered the night before and the pilots weren't fully informed. All 257 on board died.

Leader of body recovery team posted:

The fact that we all spent about a week camped in polar tents amid the wreckage and dead bodies, maintaining a 24-hour work schedule says it all. We split the men into two shifts (12 hours on and 12 off), and recovered with great effort all the human remains at the site. Many bodies were trapped under tons of fuselage and wings and much physical effort was required to dig them out and extract them.

Initially, there was very little water at the site and we had only one bowl between all of us to wash our hands in before eating. The water was black. In the first days on site we did not wash plates and utensils after eating but handed them on to the next shift because we were unable to wash them. I could not eat my first meal on site because it was a meat stew. Our polar clothing became covered in black human grease (a result of burns on the bodies).

We felt relieved when the first resupply of woollen gloves arrived because ours had become saturated in human grease, however, we needed the finger movement that wool gloves afforded, i.e., writing down the details of what we saw and assigning body and grid numbers to all body parts and labelling them. All bodies and body parts were photographed in situ by U.S. Navy photographers who worked with us. Also, U.S. Navy personnel helped us to lift and pack bodies into body bags which was very exhausting work.

Later, the Skua gulls were eating the bodies in front of us, causing us much mental anguish as well as destroying the chances of identifying the corpses. We tried to shoo them away but to no avail, we then threw flares, also to no avail. Because of this we had to pick up all the bodies/parts that had been bagged and create 11 large piles of human remains around the crash site in order to bury them under snow to keep the birds off. To do this we had to scoop up the top layer of snow over the crash site and bury them, only later to uncover them when the weather cleared and the helos were able to get back on the site. It was immensely exhausting work.

After we had almost completed the mission, we were trapped by bad weather and isolated. At that point, NZPO2 and I allowed the liquor that had survived the crash to be given out and we had a party (macabre, but we had to let off steam).

We ran out of cigarettes, a catastrophe that caused all persons, civilians and Police on site, to hand in their personal supplies so we could dish them out equally and spin out the supply we had. As the weather cleared, the helos were able to get back and we then were able to hook the piles of bodies in cargo nets under the helicopters and they were taken to McMurdo. This was doubly exhausting because we also had to wind down the personnel numbers with each helo load and that left the remaining people with more work to do. It was exhausting uncovering the bodies and loading them and dangerous too as debris from the crash site was whipped up by the helo rotors. Risks were taken by all those involved in this work. The civilians from McDonnell Douglas, MOT and U.S. Navy personnel were first to leave and then the Police and DSIR followed. I am proud of my service and those of my colleagues on Mount Erebus.

Cat Hassler has a new favorite as of 03:06 on May 18, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Nah, videos of that poo poo went viral in early ... 2000s? Aughties? ... Naughties?

It was the plot to a Swamp Thing/Batman comic in the early 90s/late 80's as well.

loving... scary as hell too. People were climbing buildings and turning into explosions of puffy spores.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Withdrawal Plans posted:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_New_Zealand_Flight_901

In 1979 an Air New Zealand DC10 crashed into Mt Erebus, Antarctica. It was a regular sightseeing tour but the flight plan was altered the night before and the pilots weren't fully informed. All 257 on board died.

My friend's mother was on the cleanup team. She was given a medal for it a little while back.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

cptn_dr posted:

My friend's mother was on the cleanup team. She was given a medal for it a little while back.

I can't decide if this is a :smith: or :unsmith: post. I can't imagine what she experienced.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
its not really That noteworthy but Steven Seagal released an energy drink(Steven Seagal's Lightning Bolt) back in the day and one of the four selling herbs was chordyceps

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roch_Th%C3%A9riault

quote:

Roch "Moïse" Thériault (May 16, 1947 – February 26, 2011) was the leader of a small religious group based near Burnt River, Ontario, Canada [Between 1977 and 1989]

quote:

Despite his devastating punishments, the members of the Ant Hill Kids never questioned his authority. His punishments included making members break their own legs with sledgehammers, sitting on lit stoves, shooting each other in the shoulders, and eating dead mice and feces. A follower would sometimes be asked to cut off another follower's toes with wire cutters to prove loyalty. The children were not spared, and not only were they sexually abused, but they were also at times held over fires or would be nailed to trees while other children threw stones at them. Thériault was also responsible for the death of his own infant, as he left the child outside during a blizzard.

Surprisingly, it gets worse from there.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I don't usually condone prison justice and suchlike, but uh... after reading that article, I think I'd be okay with forgoing punishment for the guy who killed this guy :catstare:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

I don't usually condone prison justice and suchlike, but uh... after reading that article, I think I'd be okay with forgoing punishment for the guy who killed this guy :catstare:

He was stabbed by another prisoner serving a life sentence who immediately turned himself in to the prison guards. The guy was 60 years old so there wasn't much chance of him leaving in the first place.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

Mister Adequate posted:

Odobenidae posted:

He was stabbed by another prisoner serving a life sentence who immediately turned himself in to the prison guards. The guy was 60 years old so there wasn't much chance of him leaving in the first place.

Uh, dont go here, stick to the thread theme.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

amityville anus posted:

its not really That noteworthy but Steven Seagal released an energy drink(Steven Seagal's Lightning Bolt) back in the day and one of the four selling herbs was chordyceps

Eh, caffeine is a natural pesticide that just happens to have a stimulant effect on humans. So why not eat ant killing fungus? Could be delicious or fun!

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

wyoming posted:

Eh, caffeine is a natural pesticide that just happens to have a stimulant effect on humans. So why not eat ant killing fungus? Could be delicious or fun!

I like the fact if you ate a whole cigarette you would die, but its hard to do because your body rejects it so hard you cant just like eat one with your mouth hole.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah, cordyceps have been used as a stimulant for a while now but now people are all OMG CORDYCEPS because of The Last of Us. Pretty sure they're used a lot in Chinese medicine as well.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 16:13 on May 18, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah, cordyceps have been used as a stimulant for a while now but now people are all OMG CORDYCEPS because of The Last of Us. Pretty sure they're used a lot in Chinese medicine as well.

Yep, here's a bunch of pictures and whatnot about their use in Chinese medicine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyceps_sinensis#Use_in_medicine

Mouthguard Chump
Sep 19, 2006
Listen, you degenerate, toothless redneck...

StrangersInTheNight posted:

There was an X-Files episode, I believe in the third season, that had a cordyceps fungus bursting out of people. Fungal infections in general are pretty freaky deaky. Imagine it being the early 80s, brushing your teeth one morning and seeing :nms: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candidiasis on your loving tongue, and that was your way of finding out you had that AIDS you'd been hearing about (or whatever myriad names they were using for it in the early days of its observation). Bonus points if you weren't a homosexual but now had a supposedly gay man's disease.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Rapman the Cook posted:

I like the fact if you ate a whole cigarette you would die, but its hard to do because your body rejects it so hard you cant just like eat one with your mouth hole.

One of the more WTF moments of my life occured when I bummed a cigarette to an older lady I was sitting on a bus stop with. After a few minutes, I realized I didn't actually smell any smoke, so I glanced over and she was freaking eating the thing like it was a carrot stick. The tobacco flakes were sticking to her lips, it was pretty awful. I ended up walking the rest of the way home, and I still have no idea what the hell was going on.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Back to the Lost Cosmonauts, I got pretty spooked a while back now after listening to this- (SFW, just creepy as all heck.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sgc1I9sjfc
Apparently it is a cosmonaut in her last moments before the ship ran out of oxygen and burnt up on re-entry. It was recorded by these guys

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judica-Cordiglia_brothers

To this day the Russians deny knowing anything about it and the spooky, scared disembodied voice remains nameless.

ETA- Good Fortean Times article here ----> http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/1302/lost_in_space.html

Rondette has a new favorite as of 19:09 on May 18, 2014

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Literally Kermit posted:

Number Stations

Have you heard of Webdriver Torso? It's got people all a flutter at the moment....random 15 second videos of red and blue shapes, and an obnoxious tone. Over 77,000 of them, and no one really seems to know their purpose.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icyJYzhVcCY

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsLiV4WJfkTEHH0b9PmRklw

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rondette posted:

Have you heard of Webdriver Torso? It's got people all a flutter at the moment....random 15 second videos of red and blue shapes, and an obnoxious tone. Over 77,000 of them, and no one really seems to know their purpose.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icyJYzhVcCY

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsLiV4WJfkTEHH0b9PmRklw

Seems like it's probably someone testing out youtube's video compression algorithms.

quote:

The company needed to be able to quickly and reliably upload digital video, a capability which it tested by uploading short, randomly generated snippets to its YouTube channel and running image-recognition software on it. "Considering the volume of videos and the fact they use YouTube, it tells me that this is a large company testing their video encoding software and measuring how Youtube compresses the videos," says Vargas.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/shortcuts/2014/may/01/truth-youtube-mysterious-videos-webdriver-torso

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming
I just finished reading a book about this, so I thought I'd look up the relevant Wikipedia pages: The wreck of the Batavia, in 1628, and the subsequent reign of terror on a tiny group of desert islands just off western Australia that left 110 men, women and children dead - and not because of starvation or thirst, but almost all murdered on the orders of one of the castaways, Jeronimus Cornelisz.

Wiki posted:

Cornelisz established a brutal personal rule in the islands, backed by a core of men who had plotted with him on board ship. When food and water supplies became scarce, the mutineers began to kill their fellow survivors, at first covertly, then more and more openly. In all, Cornelisz and his henchmen were responsible for the deaths of between 110 and 124 men, women and children over a two-month period. Their victims were drowned, strangled, hacked to pieces or bludgeoned to death singly or in large groups. Seven surviving women were forced into sexual slavery. Lucretia Jans was given preferential treatment by only having to serve Cornelisz.

Jeronimus had an uncanny command of the mutineers, who did all of the murders at his bidding. He himself seemed more comfortable issuing orders to murder, than committing them himself, and in many ways was a fairly pathetic figure - the wiki lists his only personal act of violence as when he "tried and failed to poison a baby."

It all culminated when a Dutch ship, coming to rescue the survivors, came across a pitched battle between two groups of castaways - the "Defenders" and the mutineers. The Defenders, led by the common soldier Wiebbe Hayes, were a small group of soldiers who Jeronimus had suspected he'd be unable to convince to mutiny, so he tricked them into looking for water on a nearby island before leaving them stranded without boats. Ironically, Jeronimus had thought he was leaving the Defenders to die, but their island actually turned out to have a water source while Jeronimus's did not.

Fishermen are still discovering skeletal remains of the massacre on the islands today. Something good did come out of it, though:

Wiki posted:

The common soldier Wiebbe Hayes was hailed as a hero. The Dutch East India Company promoted him to sergeant, and later to lieutenant, which increased his salary fivefold.

ruarc
Oct 22, 2008

what

bladedsmoke posted:

I just finished reading a book about this, so I thought I'd look up the relevant Wikipedia pages: The wreck of the Batavia, in 1628, and the subsequent reign of terror on a tiny group of desert islands just off western Australia that left 110 men, women and children dead - and not because of starvation or thirst, but almost all murdered on the orders of one of the castaways, Jeronimus Cornelisz.

Jeronimus had an uncanny command of the mutineers, who did all of the murders at his bidding. He himself seemed more comfortable issuing orders to murder, than committing them himself, and in many ways was a fairly pathetic figure - the wiki lists his only personal act of violence as when he "tried and failed to poison a baby."

It all culminated when a Dutch ship, coming to rescue the survivors, came across a pitched battle between two groups of castaways - the "Defenders" and the mutineers. The Defenders, led by the common soldier Wiebbe Hayes, were a small group of soldiers who Jeronimus had suspected he'd be unable to convince to mutiny, so he tricked them into looking for water on a nearby island before leaving them stranded without boats. Ironically, Jeronimus had thought he was leaving the Defenders to die, but their island actually turned out to have a water source while Jeronimus's did not.

Fishermen are still discovering skeletal remains of the massacre on the islands today. Something good did come out of it, though:

Stuff You Missed in History Class also did a good 2 part podcast on the wreck and mutiny.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rondette posted:

Back to the Lost Cosmonauts, I got pretty spooked a while back now after listening to this- (SFW, just creepy as all heck.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sgc1I9sjfc
Apparently it is a cosmonaut in her last moments before the ship ran out of oxygen and burnt up on re-entry. It was recorded by these guys

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judica-Cordiglia_brothers

To this day the Russians deny knowing anything about it and the spooky, scared disembodied voice remains nameless.

ETA- Good Fortean Times article here ----> http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/1302/lost_in_space.html

I know some people who worked at Star City back in the 1960's and they claimed that the lost cosmonaut stories just aren't true. According to them it was a small community and no one knew anything about any deaths. Since they immigrated to the US decades ago I think it's safe to say that they weren't worried about being killed for saying otherwise.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Plus those two italian brothers have been pretty thoroughly debunked. Apparently their antenna set-up wasn't sufficient to do the kind of tracking they claimed to be doing, and they reported copying transmissions when the spacecraft was out of line of sight.

I had a pretty complete page on the subject in my bookmarks, but it looks like that was on another computer :smith:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Inspired by this thread, or it's previous incarnation I decided to watch the documentary series Paradise Lost about the murder of three little boys at Robin Hood Hills and the trial, imprisonment and eventual freeing of the West Memphis Three.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise_Lost:_The_Child_Murders_at_Robin_Hood_Hills

There's lots and lots of things about the murders, the suspects, the trials, the families, the towns, and the supporters that are scary or at least a little unnerving.

What really is getting to me is this:
Either those three guys were totally sent to prison for life (and in one case death row) in a horrifying parody of how a justice system is supposed to work.

Or, one or more of them totally killed those little kids and then they got set free because of a lot of hard work from misguided musicians, filmmakers, activists and support from a lot of people who stuck out in their little small towns and wear black and act spooky.

Either way the murderer (or murderers) is walking around free, the three kids didn't spontaneously get stabbed and tied up: someone viciously killed them and it seems like no one will ever know who now. As far as I know no one is seriously looking for the real killers, there's fingers pointing all over the drat place but no real investigation.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collyer_brothers

Bonus points for having an In Popular Culture section on an otherwise scary or unnerving article.

One of which is how I heard of them in the first place.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Random Stranger posted:

I know some people who worked at Star City back in the 1960's and they claimed that the lost cosmonaut stories just aren't true. According to them it was a small community and no one knew anything about any deaths. Since they immigrated to the US decades ago I think it's safe to say that they weren't worried about being killed for saying otherwise.

Besides, the real incident was much more horrible. Basically the first Soyuz flight was an absolute disaster. Nearly everything went wrong after it launched with faulty equipment in order to satisfy some political needs. Just about everything went wrong, cumulating in a mission abort. Then it was discovered that extremely shoddy workmanship had led to the the parachutes becoming tangled. (They were hammered into a smaller container to make them fit) and the ship hit the ground at nearly 140km/h (90mph) killing the pilot, Vladimir Komarov on impact. Some of the unnerving details are denied, but apparently evidence exists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_1

Some unsavory details have floated around as well, as well as some unsettling photographs :nms:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2011/05/02/134597833/cosmonaut-crashed-into-earth-crying-in-rage

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Everything I've read makes Kruschev to be an okayish guy, and Brezhnev to be a total rear end in a top hat.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I don't think the hatchet man for Stalin is going to approach even "okayish".

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

a kitten posted:

Inspired by this thread, or it's previous incarnation I decided to watch the documentary series Paradise Lost about the murder of three little boys at Robin Hood Hills and the trial, imprisonment and eventual freeing of the West Memphis Three.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise_Lost:_The_Child_Murders_at_Robin_Hood_Hills

I was lucky enough to be at the premiere of Peter Jackson's documentary about them, and he and Damien Echols did a Q&A afterwards. Echols was very well spoken, just a really warm, intelligent guy.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

Everything I've read makes Kruschev to be an okayish guy, and Brezhnev to be a total rear end in a top hat.

Nah, he was an rear end in a top hat too. The USSR never had a premier who wasn't a murderous rear end in a top hat; it's how you got ahead in that system. The nice guys got murdered / sent to the gulag.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Ah, I assumed since he denounced Stalin, he wasn't a part of that system. I was wrong!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Denouncing Stalin was the hip thing to do for a short period, and considering the cult of personality he'd built around himself, probably necessary to take control of the country after his death.

poo poo started to get weird before he'd even died, his Wikipedia article goes into some details : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Stalin#Death_and_legacy

(It's not scary, but I guess there are some unnerving elements to it)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

FrozenVent posted:

Nah, he was an rear end in a top hat too. The USSR never had a premier who wasn't a murderous rear end in a top hat; it's how you got ahead in that system. The nice guys got murdered / sent to the gulag.

Well, I guess Pavlov wasn't in the position long enough to do anything ESPECIALLY heinous.

Watch this, it'll turn out he stomped a tonne of puppies to death in the middle of Red Square or something.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

LOL goons. Rock on, comrade. Goons should study their history.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

khruschev was obsessed with corn

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
fuuck this is what you get for making assumptions that because stalin was bad and brezhnev was bad that the last guy was not as bad :eng99:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

a kitten posted:

As far as I can remember, the only evidence used to charge the West Memphis Three was circumstantial. The killer got away, but there was never really a chance any of them did it. Am I forgetting anything? I don't know that the first two documentaries cover everything that was ultimately revealed.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabant_killers

A bunch of apparent robbers attacked stores and restaurants. What makes this case unnerving is that they did not seem to have any sort of goal outside of causing mass panic. They stole consumption goods only worth a few thousands of francs during every raid but just shot people on sight and they hanged around until the police arrived to shoot the police officers as well. Sometimes they took dirt roads and hid in forests to lay ambushes for the police cars that followed them.

They did this at random for a few years and it became so bad that the police and gendarmerie asked the assistance of the military. For a time, you had squads of police and soldiers with assault rifles every other street.

This, coupled with the sudden bombings by a communist terrorist organization and political murders meant that Belgium was really, really tense for a few years.

But it gets better. All of this occurred when my parents were in their late teens, so they remember every aspect of it. My mom even knew one of the victims personally.

This isn't mentioned on the English page, but it is on the French page: during their last raid, a police officer decided that protocol could go gently caress itself and shot at the fleeing robbers while they drove away in a car. He claimed he hit one of them in the back of the head through the back window. Whether he did or not impossible to know for certain, but the killers of Brabant were never heard of again.

What makes this so unnerving is that they're still out there. And if they aren't convicted by the summer of 2015, they can't be charged for their crimes any more.

So who were they? A random paramilitary group that seeked to cause mayhem for their own agenda? Psychopaths? Mercenaries hired by politicians? Part of operation gladio, that sought to influence public opinion away from the rising leftist parties and more towards tough on crime, right-wing parties? Nobody even knows.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

As far as I can remember, the only evidence used to charge the West Memphis Three was circumstantial. The killer got away, but there was never really a chance any of them did it. Am I forgetting anything? I don't know that the first two documentaries cover everything that was ultimately revealed.

Oh I hope I didn't give the impression that I thought there is much more than an infinitesimal chance that any of the accused had anything to do with the murder. I just don't like speaking in absolutes.

So that's it then huh? Three dead kids and no investigation because as far as the authorities are concerned they arrested and successfully prosecuted the "guilty" parties? What a loving disaster on every level.

And jesus, it's been 20 years since the whole terrible saga started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
I seem to remember that there was a family member of one of the dead boys who abruptly had all of his teeth pulled when the police announced that they were analyzing a bite mark on one of the bodies. There was a lot of weird stuff with that case.