Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

bonestructure posted:

I seem to remember that there was a family member of one of the dead boys who abruptly had all of his teeth pulled when the police announced that they were analyzing a bite mark on one of the bodies. There was a lot of weird stuff with that case.

Yeah, it was one of the kids step-dads or mom's boyfriends or whatever.

There's no way the kids did it and they totally got railroaded because they didn't fit into the community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

a kitten posted:

Oh I hope I didn't give the impression that I thought there is much more than an infinitesimal chance that any of the accused had anything to do with the murder. I just don't like speaking in absolutes.

So that's it then huh? Three dead kids and no investigation because as far as the authorities are concerned they arrested and successfully prosecuted the "guilty" parties? What a loving disaster on every level.

And jesus, it's been 20 years since the whole terrible saga started.

This whole sorry saga is a terrible indictment of the justice system in the US. Those boys are so clearly innocent that making them take Alford pleas rather than just exonerating them, and attempting to find the real killer(s), is beyond belief.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Watching the sequels to Paradise Lost, its really hard to tell if the step-dad is a legit suspect or if the filmmakers just really really wanted a compelling alternate theory.

The guy is a weirdo, and that's obvious to anyone who sees the interviews. Its easy, especially for anyone who grew up with police procedurals like Law & Order, to look at him and see the typical "gotcha" killer revealed at the end of the episode. He is suspicious for several reasons.

1. He is a known weirdo in the community
2. He is the step-father of one of the victims. The fact that he wasn't actually the kid's father makes him more suspicious to people.
3. Before the physical evidence basically proved the Three innocent, this guy just wouldn't let up about how guilty they were. He really appeared to have a vested interest in proving they were guilty, beyond the fact that they were already convicted in prison for the crimes. He seemed to care about public opinion.
4. After the bite mark was found he coincidentally had all of his own teeth pulled. Some say it was to prevent a comparison, as he was already suspected by that point.

So really 3 out of these 4 points are pretty weak. Most people start to take him seriously as a suspect when they hear about the teeth being pulled, but taken on its own that really doesn't mean a whole lot. The guy is a hardcore redneck and probably had terrible hygiene, and its not like he got them pulled a few days after the bite mark was found. Still, there's something off about him in interviews, its hard to articulate what it is. There's an air of bullshit around him, and that can be pretty disturbing when he's talking about a triple murder. He may have bullshitted his way out of it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
We talked about cordyceps and nobody mentioned Instruction for a Help? Some shameful goons :smith:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

stickyfngrdboy posted:

This whole sorry saga is a terrible indictment of the justice system in the US. Those boys are so clearly innocent that making them take Alford pleas rather than just exonerating them, and attempting to find the real killer(s), is beyond belief.

But think how it would damage the justice system if there was a risk for viciously attacking blatantly innocent victims to close a case.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

We talked about cordyceps and nobody mentioned Instruction for a Help? Some shameful goons :smith:

I really don't get why goons love this article so much. Just sounds like an instruction manual sent through Google translate and back to me.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I really don't get why goons love this article so much. Just sounds like an instruction manual sent through Google translate and back to me.

Did you read the whole thing?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Popular Human posted:

Did you read the whole thing?

Yes.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Even the "Words From Below" bit at the end? That's where it's explained.

http://www.somethingawful.com/daily-dirt/instruction-for-america/1/

Instruction Manuel has a new favorite as of 02:10 on May 20, 2014

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

FrozenVent posted:

poo poo started to get weird before he'd even died, his Wikipedia article goes into some details : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Stalin#Death_and_legacy

What's supposed to be weird?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I've never seen this before, but it's so clever that I'm really sad that I can't read anything about its reception since archives went down.

Did everyone like it? I love how open-ended it is about which side was in the right.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Jack Gladney posted:

I've never seen this before, but it's so clever that I'm really sad that I can't read anything about its reception since archives went down.

Did everyone like it? I love how open-ended it is about which side was in the right.

It was a pretty big hit--it is very clever, and the mixed-media format fit the venue perfectly and allowed for lots of exploration and elaboration that you couldn't accomplish with a regular novel. And if you weren't aware, Zach went on to write a few darn good books, including My Tank is Fight! and Liminal States. The former is a sort of non-fiction-mixed-with-fictional-accounts description of insane/awesome WWII technologies, and the latter...is a lot of things. A sort of preview/prelude is available right here on SA: http://www.somethingawful.com/news/reificant-battle-spire/1/

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 11:59 on May 20, 2014

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Does anyone know the wiki article about human experimentation done without consent and funded by Proctor and Gamble? It was either that or Johnson and Johnson. Googling doesn't bring anything up for me for some reason.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hardwood Floor posted:

Does anyone know the wiki article about human experimentation done without consent and funded by Proctor and Gamble? It was either that or Johnson and Johnson. Googling doesn't bring anything up for me for some reason.

What details can you remember? Most human experimentation in the US was done by the CIA or the army, or by independent scholars funded by the military.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Jack Gladney posted:

What details can you remember? Most human experimentation in the US was done by the CIA or the army, or by independent scholars funded by the military.

Isn't most of it done by pharmaceutical company, and a completely routine thing?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Isn't most of it done by pharmaceutical company, and a completely routine thing?

I meant unethical, dangerous human experimentation without consent and/or knowledge. Which I guess was what I thought he was talking about as well.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I don't think it was done directly by them, instead it was sponsored. I can't remember any more details aside from that. :( Might just go through the previous thread and see if it's there (I'll post it here if I find it).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There was an experiment run by MIT and paid for by Quaker Oats where they fed irradiated cereal to kids with mental disabilities to see how people digest cereal. They didn't say anything to the kids or pay them, telling them that they were in a "special science club." I guess their compensation was going to Red Sox games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_E._Fernald_State_School#Nuclear_medicine_research_in_children

There are probably way more stories like that out there. I had thought that the Army paid for this study.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
There was a really good "Comedy Goldmine" front page article about horrifying things companies have done, posted way back in 2009:

http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/most-evil-companies/1/

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Rober Galbraith Heath is my go-to for unethical experimentation. His wiki page is pretty sparse, but this page right here has most of the goods:

quote:

Dr Robert Heath was Chairman of the Department of Psychiatry and Neurology at Tulane University in New Orleans from 1949 to 1980. He performed many controversial experiments involving electrical stimulation of the brain (ESB). In one procedure, Dr Heath wired up the pleasure centres of a gay man. During a three-hour session, the subject, code-named B-19, electrically self-stimulated his reward circuitry some 1,500 times.

quote:

“During these sessions, B-19 stimulated himself to a point that he was experiencing an almost overwhelming euphoria and elation, and had to be disconnected, despite his vigorous protests."
[Moan, C.E., & Heath, R.G. Septal stimulation for the initiation of heterosexual activity in a homosexual male. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry, 3, 23-30, 1972.]
Dr Heath believed that ESB could be used to "cure" homosexuality. Insofar as people prefer direct stimulation of the pleasure centres to having sex, ESB can "cure" heterosexuality too.

quote:

Dr Heath's work on mind-control at Tulane was partly funded by the US military and the CIA. Dr Heath's subjects were African Americans. In the words of Heath's collaborator Australian psychiatrist Harry Bailey, this was "because they were everywhere and cheap experimental animals".

There's another mention of him here:

quote:

In 1970, Robert Heath of Tulane University dreamed up a far more novel application of Olds and Milner's discovery. Heath decided to test whether repeated stimulation of the septal region could transform a homosexual man into a heterosexual...

By this stage of the experiment B-19's libido was so jacked up that Heath decided to proceed with the final stage in which B-19 would be introduced to a sexually-willing female partner. With permission from the state attorney general, Heath arranged for a twenty-one-year-old female prostitute to visit the lab, and he placed her in a room with B-19. For an hour B-19 did nothing, but then the prostitute took the initiative and a successful sexual encounter between the two occurred. Heath considered this a positive result.

Little is known of B-19's later fate. Heath reported that the young man drifted back into a life of homosexual prostitution, but that he also had an affair with a married woman. Heath optimistically decided that this showed the treatment was at least partially successful. However, Heath never did try to convert any more homosexuals.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Would he have considered it a failure if he didn't sleep with the prostitute? I'm straight but there's no way I'm sleeping with a prostitute because I don't want STDs.

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MKULTRA

Back in the 50's, CIA agents wanted to learn how to control peoples' minds, so they dosed a bunch of people with powerful hallucinogens and played sick mind games with them. Some of these people were in mental institutes, others were prostitutes, homeless people or junkies. Some were even government workers suspected of spying. As someone who's experimented with psychedelics and had a handful of bad experiences, I can only imagine how horrifying it would be to suddenly lose your mind for no reason and then have a bunch of G-men interrogate you.

Alpacalips Now has a new favorite as of 18:30 on May 21, 2014

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Mar 31, 2017

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Alpacalips Now posted:

Back in the 50's, CIA agents wanted to learn how to control peoples' minds, so they dosed a bunch of people with powerful hallucinogens and played sick mind games with them. Some of these people were in mental institutes, others were prostitutes, homeless people or junkies. Some were even government workers suspected of spying. As someone who's experimented with psychedelics and had a handful of bad experiences, I can only imagine how horrifying it would be to suddenly lose your mind for no reason and then have a bunch of G-men interrogate you.

(MKULTRA was also the money behind Robert Heath's experiments.)

What's extra horrifying/depressing about MKULTRA, for my money, is that in the end the CIA just threw up its hands and said "Welp, I guess mind control doesn't exist", so billions of dollars were spent, hundreds of lives ruined, and who knows how many atrocities committed just to prove that The Manchurian Candidate was a work of fiction.

I think that's basically the ultimate objection to anybody who bemoans how much science could advance if not for ethics, because here's the thing: we've tried that, and it doesn't really teach us anything we couldn't have learned ethically (the only exception that comes to mind being the Nazi's hypothermia research, which is pretty :smith:).

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

DStecks posted:

What's extra horrifying/depressing about MKULTRA, for my money, is that in the end the CIA just threw up its hands and said "Welp, I guess mind control doesn't exist", so billions of dollars were spent, hundreds of lives ruined, and who knows how many atrocities committed just to prove that The Manchurian Candidate was a work of fiction.

I think that's basically the ultimate objection to anybody who bemoans how much science could advance if not for ethics, because here's the thing: we've tried that, and it doesn't really teach us anything we couldn't have learned ethically (the only exception that comes to mind being the Nazi's hypothermia research, which is pretty :smith:).

Yeah. And Japan basically did the same "research" at the same time and learned the same thing. Making it even more of a waste.

Honestly, in the last thread someone always used to say something to the effect of "this is way worse than anything else can't get over that," about just about every new topic someone brought up (obviously everyone has different feelings about what is the worst thing they ever read). But I always thought to myself "How can you say that when Unit 731 is on the first drat page."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

Basically its about as bad as you can imagine as far as experimentation on humans with the expected outcomes being lethal. Organ removals and amputations without anesthesia. Sometimes reattaching the body parts often times not in the right places. I recall trying them trying to attach the amputated limbs to a twin of the original owner or unrelated prisoners but didn't see that in my quick scan. Freezing and thawing of limbs to see their effects on the body. Infecting prisoners with diseases to study the effects of various diseases when untreated. Testing of biological and chemical agents. Testing of conventional weapons such as explosives and flame throwers at various positions and distances to test leathality. Exposing prisoners to high and low pressure atmosphere and radiation. Injecting prisoners with salt water and animals' blood.

And now I need a break.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
A solid technical/nerd debunking of the Lost Cosmonauts is here for those who don't want to wade through links of links.

Also Unethical human experimentation in the United States has its own wiki page.

I've always thought the Green Run was a good starting point.

quote:

The "Green Run" was a secret U.S. Government release of radioactive fission products on December 2–3, 1949, at the Hanford Site plutonium production facility, located in Eastern Washington. Radioisotopes released at that time were supposed to be detected by U.S. Air Force reconnaissance. Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests to the U.S. Government have revealed some of the details of the experiment.[1] Sources cite 5,500 to 12,000 curies (200 to 440 TBq) of iodine-131 released,[1][2][3] and an even greater amount of xenon-133. The radiation was distributed over populated areas, and caused the cessation of intentional radioactive releases at Hanford until 1962 when more experiments commenced.[3]

There are some indications contained in the documents released by the FOIA requests that many other tests were conducted in the 1940s prior to the Green Run, although the Green Run was a particularly large test. Evidence suggest that filters to remove the iodine were disabled during the Green Run.[3][4]

Why wait for nuclear war for fallout fun!

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
There isn't a Wikipedia article about "The Bug Pit" but it's horrifying to consider.

http://www.vice.com/read/brutality-report-knowledge-of-the-bug-pit

quote:

Accounts vary as to the exact size of the pit. Reports describe a stone chasm somewhere between 12 and 40 feet deep. Some versions have the pit open for inspection, others cite the sole entrance as a hole in the ceiling through which horse manure and the occasional rope were dropped. What is known for certain is that the pit was filled with "vermin." Rats were part of the mix, but mostly it was just a big hole filled with insects. Stoddart served the next two years of solitary confinement in the Bug Pit.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/zindon-prison

quote:

In 1842, the British soldiers Connolly and Stoddart were executed in front of the Ark Fortress in Bukhara. It was the grim finale to years of torture (for Stoddart - four years) in the Zindon prison located within the fortress. However, the most famous resident of Zindon was not a person, but a place: "the Bug Pit," a four meter deep hole, accessible only by rope. This bleak pit is where Connolly and Stoddart spent their time in Zindon, while guards poured scorpions, bugs, and rodents onto their heads.

http://www.abandonthecube.com/blog/bukhara-%E2%80%93-the-city-synonymous-with-medieval-torture/

quote:

This was no ordinary prison, the Zindon prison has a special cell for the worst offenders that is lovingly referred to as the bug pit. This pit is roughly twelve feet deep and only accessible by a rope lowered down through a hole in the center of the ceiling. Into this hole the prison guards gingerly poured daily doses of scorpions, rodents and other vermin. Stoddart was to languish in this pit alone for a year.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
One I haven't seen posted here, or in the previous thread, is the Order of the Solar Temple.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Solar_Temple

As a Freemason, this one unnerved me quite a bit largely because they, like other pseudo-masonic organizations, claimed a direct lineage to the original Knights Templar (if your curious, I'm of the opinion that there may have been links with the surviving knights and the stone guilds, the latter of which would open their membership to the public and become what we know of as Freemasonry today. contrary to pop-historians, I don't believe they influenced the Guilds but assimilated into them. Our Knights Templar, of which I'm a member, are simply a christian subgroup in the Masonic Family that applies the teachings of freemasonry on a more denominational level).

This, coupled with the fact that they were influenced, structurally to an extent (not so much philosophically) by the ceremonies and, early on, formalities of Freemasonry, along with the fact that they acted out every Conspiracy Theorists wet-dream of what they think Freemasons do. From Ritual Mass Murder/Suicide to infiltration of influential and wealthy people, along with members of law enforcement, leading to conspiracies, death and mystery.

This is made all the creepier by their hidden rooms in otherwise unassuming houses and the ritualized formations of pentagrams by those who had chosen to take their life for this cult.

quote:

In October 1994 Tony Dutoit's infant son (Emmanuel Dutoit), aged three months, was killed at the group's centre in Morin Heights, Quebec. The baby had been stabbed repeatedly with a wooden stake. It is believed that Di Mambro ordered the murder, because he identified the baby as the Anti-Christ described in the Bible. He believed that the Anti-Christ was born into the order to prevent Di Mambro from succeeding in his spiritual aim.

A few days later, Di Mambro and twelve followers performed a ritual Last Supper. A few days after that, apparent mass suicides and murders were conducted at Cheiry and Salvan, two villages in Western Switzerland, and at Morin Heights — 15 inner circle members committed suicide with poison, 30 were killed by bullets or smothering, and 8 others were killed by other causes. In Switzerland, many of the victims were found in a secret underground chapel lined with mirrors and other items of Templar symbolism. The bodies were dressed in the order's ceremonial robes and were in a circle, feet together, heads outward, most with plastic bags tied over their heads; they had each been shot in the head. There was also evidence that many of the victims in Switzerland were drugged before they were shot. Other victims were found in three ski chalets; several dead children were lying together. The tragedy was discovered when officers rushed to the sites to fight the fires which had been ignited by remote-control devices. Farewell letters left by the believers stated that they believed they were leaving to escape the "hypocrisies and oppression of this world."

A mayor, a journalist, a civil servant and a sales manager were found among the dead in Switzerland. Records seized by the Quebec police showed that some members had personally donated over $CAD1 million to the group's leader Joseph Di Mambro. There was also another attempted mass suicide of the remaining members which was thwarted in the late 1990s. All the suicide/murders and attempts occurred around the dates of the equinoxes and solstices in some relation to the beliefs of the group.

The photograph below is of one of their abandoned ceremonial spaces.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SylvainMustach posted:

One I haven't seen posted here, or in the previous thread, is the Order of the Solar Temple.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Solar_Temple

As a Freemason, this one unnerved me quite a bit largely because they, like other pseudo-masonic organizations, claimed a direct lineage to the original Knights Templar (if your curious, I'm of the opinion that there may have been links with the surviving knights and the stone guilds, the latter of which would open their membership to the public and become what we know of as Freemasonry today. contrary to pop-historians, I don't believe they influenced the Guilds but assimilated into them. Our Knights Templar, of which I'm a member, are simply a christian subgroup in the Masonic Family that applies the teachings of freemasonry on a more denominational level).

This, coupled with the fact that they were influenced, structurally to an extent (not so much philosophically) by the ceremonies and, early on, formalities of Freemasonry, along with the fact that they acted out every Conspiracy Theorists wet-dream of what they think Freemasons do. From Ritual Mass Murder/Suicide to infiltration of influential and wealthy people, along with members of law enforcement, leading to conspiracies, death and mystery.

This is made all the creepier by their hidden rooms in otherwise unassuming houses and the ritualized formations of pentagrams by those who had chosen to take their life for this cult.

The photograph below is of one of their abandoned ceremonial spaces.

If you know about masonic stuff, could you tell if any of the details about Alan Robicheaux, a guy who has come up in this thread before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbKrY0HXOz0

He was a guy in his early 70s who disappeared without a trace, but then in 1991 his body was discovered in a secret vault he built under the porch. He shot himself while looking into a mirror and had arranged mirrors and porcelain figurines around himself before he did it. I've always wondered about this case because of the ritual details. Are any of them masonic (if you can say without getting into trouble), or was he just a dude headed toward dementia?

More details here:

http://files.usgwarchives.net/la/orleans/newspapers/00000531.txt

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Jack Gladney posted:

If you know about masonic stuff, could you tell if any of the details about Alan Robicheaux, a guy who has come up in this thread before?

He was a guy in his early 70s who disappeared without a trace, but then in 1991 his body was discovered in a secret vault he built under the porch. He shot himself while looking into a mirror and had arranged mirrors and porcelain figurines around himself before he did it. I've always wondered about this case because of the ritual details. Are any of them masonic (if you can say without getting into trouble), or was he just a dude headed toward dementia?

More details here:

Nothing resembling anything present in the California Masonic ritual, that's for sure.
(Past Master of a Masonic Lodge)

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
There's nothing masonic about that. I work for a masonic grand lodge in our library and I've read almost every ritual I could get my hands on. It doesn't resemble any of it, but it sure is super creepy.

EDIT: I can go into pretty much anything and won't get in trouble. Don't worry. On that note, if you have any questions about anything masonic, check out the Ask/Tell thread about us. The other brethren there are, as far as I can tell, just as knowledgeable, candid and happy to talk about it as I am (perhaps even more so).

So to you, or anyone else, bug us here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523447

SylvainMustach has a new favorite as of 03:28 on May 22, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

More details here:

gently caress, I remember reading that in a book a while back. Not that specific guy, just how these detectives or cops or something found some guy who had accidentally locked himself in his panic room in the basement, and no one really noticed anything for a few months. Had scratches in the door from when he went mental.

I wish I could remember the name of it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alpacalips Now posted:

And one of those subjects was the Unabomber, who was a bit of a weirdo at the time, but within normal levels of weird for "brilliant mathematician".

Not so much after, though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

And one of those subjects was the Unabomber, who was a bit of a weirdo at the time, but within normal levels of weird for "brilliant mathematician".

He was actually the only one who didn't have any secrets or sexual fantasies he was ashamed of. Part of the experiment involved the students writing out everything that humiliated them or made them feel ashamed, and he just wrote about how he was proud to be at Harvard and loved his parents and loved America. His codename for the study was "Lawful" because he was such a square.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

SylvainMustach posted:

The Order of the Solar Temple was creepy as hell. The Order of the Neo Solar Temple, however, was some drat fine entertainment.

DStecks posted:

I did not know this and that makes his work really unnerving. This is why I will never trust the government.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I hate that MKULTRA has become the go-to for every conspiracy theorist to launch off into their rant about chemtrails and GMOs and HAARP. MKULTRA is both legitimately a government conspiracy (to drug the gently caress out of citizens and see if they could be chemically programmed) and an example of a rogue agency within the government (the CIA totally did whatever the gently caress they wanted and shredded a fuckton of files when Congress finally questioned them). It should be their Holy Grail, instead it's a stepping stone.

Fuckers like David Icke are going to help get us all killed, eventually. Take, for instance, the GM Streetcar Conspiracy, where the fine folks at GM and a bunch of other rich assholes got together and decided to buy up small rail companies in order to purposely tear them to shreds and make the automobile the only viable option that Americans had for transportation. It started in 1936, but it was almost four decades before most Americans even knew about it. Nearly four decades later, no one even thinks about it. Yet, it was a legitimate conspiracy that has had a massive impact upon our lives, government policy, and the very planet we live on.

Real conspiracies happen all the time, and it's reasonable to assume they're happening now. It's just that no one will believe you about the Koch brothers' influence over elections because they've also heard some rear end in a top hat tell them about the FDA trying to kill Americans with heroin pills.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This is an offensively lovely article.

Gripen5 posted:

Honestly, in the last thread someone always used to say something to the effect of "this is way worse than anything else can't get over that," about just about every new topic someone brought up (obviously everyone has different feelings about what is the worst thing they ever read). But I always thought to myself "How can you say that when Unit 731 is on the first drat page."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

Basically.....

And now I need a break.

The Nazis did the same things.

Also I think the whole "And Now I need a break"/"OMG crying so hard now"/"Welp, not sleeping tonight" crap is far worse than Unit 731.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
To be fair to the chemtrail people, a sentence I never thought I'd type, the US government did spray a few communities with chemicals, from the air, sometime in the 1950s, I believe.

David Icke is still a disgusting Nazi apologist, though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

chthonic bell posted:

To be fair to the chemtrail people, a sentence I never thought I'd type, the US government did spray a few communities with chemicals, from the air, sometime in the 1950s, I believe.

David Icke is still a disgusting Nazi apologist, though.

This is true! I don't think I was able to find exactly what you were talking about, because frankly the US government's track run with human experimentation isn't inspiring. I do remember an incident over a predominantly black neighborhood which was blamed on a lot of cancers and that the government denied, though. Pretty sure it was in the last thread.

Anyway, I found something else relevant to the thread. gently caress me, the poo poo the government did when they didn't understand a drat thing about nuclear weapons was disgusting. The Green Run incident might also be what you were referring to, and is of particular relevance either way. It's also not the only time that the government used aerosolized contaminants for some sort of experiment.

Basically, believing that the US government is conducting unethical experiments on civilians without their knowledge isn't a stretch given what the government has admitted to. Saying that they're spraying us all with mind control chemicals that make us like Jay-Z and accept homosexuality is where poo poo gets absolutely stupid.

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 11:30 on May 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
At the risk of derailing the thread into an inevitable serial killer tangent, Ivan Milat (inspiration for the killer in Wolf Creek) is a super creepy slice of Australian modern history. I was old enough to understand exactly what the deal was with this guy and live pretty close to where all the bodies were found. Once in prison, Ivan decided to go on a hunger strike to get a PlayStation, but was unsuccessful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Milat_(serial_killer)