Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

In the article they say that they killed it and sent its head for rabies testing. Seems kinda rude as he was only protecting his hogwife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Phanatic posted:

I want to know what happened to the warthog afterwards. Carnitas? Sausage? Pulled?

due to something called (seriously) boar taint, you do not want to eat a horny hog

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'd imagine hot dogs are full of boar taint (:V)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My MP husband Andrew Bridgen was captured by antivax ‘cult’

I do like the final line

quote:

The Conservative Party was contacted for a response but declined comment. However, a source questioned what action the party could have taken.
We’ve tried nothing and we’re all out of ideas!

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
About three and a half years ago I posted in this thread about my niece getting shipped off to one of those "troubled teens" "schools" when she was raising all sorts of Hell around age 15.

The place was called The Academy at Ivy Ridge and it's now the subject of a three-part Netflix docuseries called The Program: Cons, Cults, & Kidnapping. Wife and I watched it Tuesday. She went with my in-laws when they sprung the girl from the "school" and recognized the ornate conference room they'd shuffle visitors to so they didn't see what was going on there.

Highly recommend watching it. Niece is now 34 and still hasn't really told anyone what she went through in that hellhole.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I hope your niece is doing okay these days.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I hope your niece is doing okay these days.

Thank you.

She's doing well now - just gave birth to a daughter and seems to be loving motherhood. The series bringing light to the horrible poo poo that happened there is giving her some closure, I guess.

When the place closed, they just left all the files and poo poo right out in the open. In the docuseries there's a woman who grabbed a bunch and is in the process of mailing them out to the people to whom they belong. Niece is expecting to get hers in a few weeks.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irOQ4gzY0g8

In the early 1990s, three men set out on a mission: to build the ultimate jetpack. Unfortunately, these gentlemen weren't the most stable individuals and the project quickly devolved into infighting and violence. One guy was hit with a hammer so bad he was bedridden for a week. Another man was murdered. Then the first guy kidnapped the guy who attacked him. It's a lot more intense than my blurb right here so have yourselves a watch.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

The Golden Gael posted:

In the early 1990s, three men set out on a mission: to build the ultimate jetpack. Unfortunately, these gentlemen weren't the most stable individuals and the project quickly devolved into infighting and violence. One guy was hit with a hammer so bad he was bedridden for a week. Another man was murdered. Then the first guy kidnapped the guy who attacked him. It's a lot more intense than my blurb right here so have yourselves a watch.

This one was spectacular. It just didn't stop escalating!

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
e: wrong thread.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Boomers are Just Like That they have engineering degrees they got really cheap and use them to get small businesses that make hundreds of thousands of dollars per year and sign weird business deals with each other and when they go bad they get extremely violent and do things like shoot up the Mandalay Bay hotel or build an armored bulldozer to demolish everyone in town who wronged them or beat their business partner to death.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Boomers are Just Like That they have engineering degrees they got really cheap and use them to get small businesses that make hundreds of thousands of dollars per year and sign weird business deals with each other and when they go bad they get extremely violent and do things like shoot up the Mandalay Bay hotel or build an armored bulldozer to demolish everyone in town who wronged them or beat their business partner to death.

Oh my God it's true

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

WescottF1 posted:

Thank you.

She's doing well now - just gave birth to a daughter and seems to be loving motherhood. The series bringing light to the horrible poo poo that happened there is giving her some closure, I guess.

When the place closed, they just left all the files and poo poo right out in the open. In the docuseries there's a woman who grabbed a bunch and is in the process of mailing them out to the people to whom they belong. Niece is expecting to get hers in a few weeks.

I can recommend Joe vs Elan for a very emotional graphic novel telling the story of a survivor of a similar school abuse factory.

https://elan.school/chapters/

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

You're totally right, but I still have a soft spot for the killdozer.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Killdozer just wanted the respect to which he was entitled.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

The Golden Gael posted:

The quaintness of their approach to making money with this thing gets me. "Dudes working out of a garage to build something" is now firmly tied to the mythology around tech giants and the billions of dollars they generate, but the vision of these guys extended only to exhibiting it until it broke down. They didn't develop another model aside from making some improvements to the original and they didn't try to market it as a revolution in personal travel. Just ten years later, they would have been swimming in venture capital, but in the early 90s, the jetpack was a novelty and they were just eccentrics playing with it.

That has less to do with them than it does with the massive economic changes that would occur with the shift to tech and the internet, but it still seems like a missed opportunity. If they had been able to avoid killing and kidnapping each other for ten years they may have been able to get in on it.

It probably also needed more than 30 seconds of operating time, though.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Ohio woman gets life in prison for leaving her 16 month old baby at home while she went on a 10 day vacation

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

God drat it. That loving crushed me. What a piece of poo poo.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

quote:

There’s so much pain that I have in regards to the loss of my baby, Jailyn,” said Candelario, who has reportedly struggled with depression and related mental health problems. “I’m extremely hurt about everything that happened.

not gonna passive language your way outta this one

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

not gonna passive language your way outta this one

Then she goes "God and her daughter forgive her".

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

What...what was she expecting here? What did she think the first responders were going to do? "Gee, this dead child is extremely starved and dehydrated. No foul play here, happens to kids all the time"

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.
This case is one I've been thinking about too much lately and it makes me angry more than most I've seen.

I know you're probably asking rhetorically, but it's futile to try to understand her actions beyond a base level of "she was unable to comprehend the consequences of her actions" for whatever reason.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I can’t follow the logic, which I know there really isn’t any. What did the mom think would happen if she abandoned her 16 month old for over a week, alone?

Abandoning your toddler to go on vacation is not a common parenting practice, perhaps I’m out of the loop not being one, but I’m fairly sure that most people do not do that for a myriad of reasons. Correct me if I’m wrong!

I have a feeling it’s something related to mental health but goddamn, still no excuse.

E: I know it’s futile I just want to try and follow the train of thought in “abandon child, go on vacation, normal thing to do”

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Yeah I read the article hoping to get a glimpse of her reasoning, but there is none. Also baffling that she managed to keep the child alive for 16 months and then just…gave up on caring?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

remigious posted:

Yeah I read the article hoping to get a glimpse of her reasoning, but there is none. Also baffling that she managed to keep the child alive for 16 months and then just…gave up on caring?

The article doesn't suggest there was anyone else parenting the kid, so it's probably more like finally being ground all the way down by the stress and breaking from reality. She already had mental health issues, so I think it's literally just that the consequences did not factor into her decision making.

But if there were funds for a beach vacation, holy poo poo there were funds for a goddamn baby sitter

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Sounds like a psychotic break tbh, it doesn't excuse what she did but it does explain why there was no logic or reason to it.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Yeah I'm pretty unfazed by most poo poo these days but that is an incredibly hosed up story.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Sounds like a psychotic break tbh, it doesn't excuse what she did but it does explain why there was no logic or reason to it.

This is why I suggest there's no way to understand, because the things she was thinking would not have been "rational" things. If you read stories about people who have come back from psychotic breaks or manic episodes, they can explain the events and the "why" but it won't make sense to a non-manic person, at all.

What we think of as "logic" doesn't apply in these situations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

MrMidnight posted:

Then she goes "God and her daughter forgive her".

That was the part that really got me too.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Her apparent refusal to feel either responsibility or guilt speaks against it merely being a psychotic break. She might just be an utter sociopath.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Either way she needs to be somewhere safe where she can't ever wreak this kind of tragic havoc again.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

HopperUK posted:

Either way she needs to be somewhere safe where she can't ever wreak this kind of tragic havoc again.

It's pretty great how the USA has a lot of safe spaces for criminals and/or the mentally ill. I'm sure she'll be fine. There's no staff/inmate population on the planet who isn't loving and acceptable of child murderers.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Phanatic posted:

Her apparent refusal to feel either responsibility or guilt speaks against it merely being a psychotic break. She might just be an utter sociopath.

what are you talking about??? Do you think people who have psychotic breaks are incapable of feeling so much guilt that they have to wall it off from their emotions, and could not imagine that their daughter forgives them to assuage said guilt to cope?

Busted Pisser
Dec 6, 2020

Never skip kegels day

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

what are you talking about??? Do you think people who have psychotic breaks are incapable of feeling so much guilt that they have to wall it off from their emotions, and could not imagine that their daughter forgives them to assuage said guilt to cope?

Are you having one right now?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Busted Pisser posted:

Are you having one right now?

Come on, don't do that.

I think the confusion here is the idea that a 'psychotic break' is necessarily brief. It doesn't sound like she's in touch with reality at all.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

forget it WD, it's Phanatic

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

What...what was she expecting here? What did she think the first responders were going to do? "Gee, this dead child is extremely starved and dehydrated. No foul play here, happens to kids all the time"

Apparently there had been previous occasions where she'd arranged with neighbours to 'look after the kid' before leaving for a long period and said neighbours kept on feeding etc the kid long after she said she would be back because what are you going to do, stop?
And then this time she was even more dysfunctional and didn't even tell anyone she was going, just leaving things to work themselves out the way they always have.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I wonder if the neighbors ever called the cops on her before for abandonment? Seems like she should have bene on their radar long before this.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Georgia Public Broadcasting is currently airing a short documentary on the 1971 Thiokol explosion, which killed 29 in Camden County, which is on the Florida line.

GPB has a good article about the Thiokol explosion. Thiokol made tripflares, which were highly flammable, but the plant workers weren't told just how explosive it was. A fire spread to a supply closet, which blew up.

Thiokol battled victims' families for more than 15 years, paying out only $20 million. Though the area took care of its own decently well, this was a year after total integration of schools. Most of the victims were Black and quite poor. (Camden's since gotten a military base to boom its population, but remains devoid of any rreal infrastructure.)

The documentary is of course very dark, but gets dark as gently caress near the end where they mention Thiokol provided the boosters for Challenger in 1986.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Wasn't the challenger disaster about the o-rings and the temperature conditions being too cold for them?