Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The documentary is of course very dark, but gets dark as gently caress near the end where they mention Thiokol provided the boosters for Challenger in 1986.
"When do you want us to launch, Thiokol?"

Ironically, they were absolutely the good guys when it came to Challenger. They strongly advised against launching, and NASA overruled them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ironically, they were absolutely the good guys when it came to Challenger. They strongly advised against launching, and NASA overruled them.

I didn't read enough on Thiokol's involvement with Challenger. The doc definitely made them sound worse than they really were with Challenger.

Thiokol was still involved in lawsuits over Camden factory explosion at the time of Challenger, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

We're getting a real time addition to the thread: four hours ago a Singaporean cargo ship lost power setting out from Baltimore and collided with the Francis Scott Key Bridge, completely destroying it. The ship regained power just before the collision and you can see it trying to turn, but it was too late. Luckily - ha - it was 1.30am local so there are only about 20 people missing, mostly maintenence workers I believe. Seriously bad poo poo.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Jedit posted:

We're getting a real time addition to the thread: four hours ago a Singaporean cargo ship lost power setting out from Baltimore and collided with the Francis Scott Key Bridge, completely destroying it. The ship regained power just before the collision and you can see it trying to turn, but it was too late. Luckily - ha - it was 1.30am local so there are only about 20 people missing, mostly maintenence workers I believe. Seriously bad poo poo.

Livestream of the port.

https://www.youtube.com/live/83a7h3kkgPg?si=XGs4ZwQ-mb2GT4Oq

Mostly boomer chat to the side but their mods are quick to take out any political posturing bullshit.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Jedit posted:

The ship crew also got word in to stop traffic on the bridge, so it could've been so much worse.

It looks really slow, but in reality that's a ship that comes in at just above 100,000 tons unladen, add on the cargo and you're creeping up on 200,000 tons hitting a bridge.

Even at low speed, that is a LOT of mass and I'm not at all surprised it took out the bridge entirely. To steal a quote I saw on twitter "The thing you put in front of ships that size to stop them is called "land"", because people were claiming it was a fault of the bridge design, like that mattered.

Naturally, idiots are coming out of the woodwork to give their conspiracy takes.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Keru posted:

Naturally, idiots are coming out of the woodwork to give their conspiracy takes.

It was the work of a cabal of fetish artists who have been searching for another Ever Given payday.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Keru posted:

If you can get some hip waders on to protect yourself, you can take a look at the Freep (Free Republic) excerpts thread. The least offensive tidbits from the cesspool are blaming DEI (Diversity, Equality, and Inclusion) employment practices on the part of the shipping line, because there's no way a qualified middle-aged white dude would have caused such an accident. (Joe Hazelwood? Who's that?) It gets worse, much worse.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790452&perpage=40&pagenumber=692&noseen=1

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I've already seen some of the "takes" from the crowd of malignant tumors, yeah.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Shipping companies, famous for being hamstrung by DEI hires and not the fact that they do everything they can to get all their poo poo done in the cheapest and most environmentally toxic places.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Inceltown posted:

Shipping companies, famous for being hamstrung by DEI hires and not the fact that they do everything they can to get all their poo poo done in the cheapest and most environmentally toxic places.

No, it's stupider. They're blaming it the mayor of the city being black.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

ah yes, because of course the bridge would just... bounce the container ship away with it's Pure Whiteness Aura if the mayor wasn't black?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oh, they're also blaming the crew for being under a Singaporean flag.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
the hip new boomer trend is blaming literally anything bad any company does on DEI. bridge struck by a boat? DEI. Boeing reaping what they've sown via decades of lovely manufacturing practices? DEI. ice cream machine broke at the McDonald's? DEI.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, they're also blaming the crew for being under a Singaporean flag.

Flags of convenience should be illegal imo. I don't know if he's expanded on this in replies, sorry.

https://twitter.com/Dazzleox/status/1772595115355189388

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Flags of convenience should be illegal imo. I don't know if he's expanded on this in replies, sorry.

https://twitter.com/Dazzleox/status/1772595115355189388

Nah, ten levels of shady lowest bidders subcontracting parts of their duties to even shadier, lower bidders is just superior capitalist optimization. The fault is with the foreigners who forced their way into the work force without even having the courtesy of being white.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Nah, ten levels of shady lowest bidders subcontracting parts of their duties to even shadier, lower bidders is just superior capitalist optimization. The fault is with the foreigners who forced their way into the work force without even having the courtesy of being white.

Oh, it's nothing so nice. When the capitalist company cuts every corner possible and hires an Indian for whom minimum wage feels like a King's ransom then gives them minimal low quality training, the chuds aren't just yelling "DEI!" because he's foreign. When pressed, they will tell you that a white person would have done the job right with the same training. It's always Nazi poo poo.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

the hip new boomer trend is blaming literally anything bad any company does on DEI. bridge struck by a boat? DEI. Boeing reaping what they've sown via decades of lovely manufacturing practices? DEI. ice cream machine broke at the McDonald's? DEI.

Much in the way that they rebranded 'politically correct' to 'SJW' to 'woke', now they go for DEI.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Don't forget CRT!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

Don't forget CRT!

I'm not into retro console gaming, so I shall in fact forget CRT

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-investigate-death-girl-body-found-pipe-after-108523462

lazy river pump reverses, sucks little girl into 16" pipe where she drowns

:negative:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I didn't read enough on Thiokol's involvement with Challenger. The doc definitely made them sound worse than they really were with Challenger.

Thiokol was still involved in lawsuits over Camden factory explosion at the time of Challenger, though.
They're not blameless, but Challenger was a failure at all levels. The shuttle should have been grounded the first time a recovered booster showed evidence of burn-through, but instead it got to the point that engineers couldn't adequately push back and explain why it would make a difference that time. From Apollo 1 to the end of the Shuttle program, we apparently learned nothing past "we should make sure it doesn't do that next time."

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Whenever anything like this happens my knee jerk reaction to blame accountants. Some person in a suit working in an office probably half a world away decided they could save a few % on operating costs. Either by reducing crew numbers, training or maintenance etc. then a few months later something like this happens.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
MBAs, you mean

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

GWBBQ posted:

They're not blameless, but Challenger was a failure at all levels. The shuttle should have been grounded the first time a recovered booster showed evidence of burn-through, but instead it got to the point that engineers couldn't adequately push back and explain why it would make a difference that time. From Apollo 1 to the end of the Shuttle program, we apparently learned nothing past "we should make sure it doesn't do that next time."

I always sound like a kook, but the original O-rings were made by Hydrapak in someones living room, most likely by children.
Hydrapak was owned by the Jeffs family, as in Warren Jeffs the pedophile mormon cult leader.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Why is everything always so loving weird

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I always sound like a kook, but the original O-rings were made by Hydrapak in someones living room, most likely by children.
Hydrapak was owned by the Jeffs family, as in Warren Jeffs the pedophile mormon cult leader.

Wait what

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

https://jalopnik.com/how-a-cult-built-the-o-rings-that-failed-on-the-space-s-1846151814

There’s a few Warren Jeffs working at the company now, but none of them are that Warren Jeffs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Why is everything always so loving weird

Is it time for a new thread title yet?

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

I am posting this because of the sort of insane rhetoric around ‘protecting our children’ from trafficking. I understand that it is a very real thing in certain circumstances, but this appears to be a case surrounding the idea that nowhere is safe and there are powerful rings occurring everywhere, especially public schools, that a lot of extreme conspiracy theorists have presented to a wider audience.

Content warning: This is truly gruesome and involves extreme violence towards children. I have spoilered the specific details, but skip this one instead if you feel you must. It is horrific and truly depressing. 

This is a case that just happened, is brutal, and while not explicitly stated by any reports, potentially involves untreated mental illness and/or postpartum depression mixed with extreme paranoia of child trafficking. 

Most of what is presented is from the witness statements of a 10 year old girl.

Quick information:

Isleta Pueblo sits immediately south of Albuquerque and is reservation land.

Zuni Pueblo is another reservation west of Albuquerque, which made this case difficult to read for a local due to the last name of the suspect is Zuni, who lives in Isleta. Any mention of Zuni is a specific person and not the pueblo.

On March 21st, a young girl, only identified as 10 year old “JE” was playing with her younger brother, 5, outside their home on Isleta Pueblo. Inside, JE’s mother, Mariah Zuni, was with her 9 month old little brother. JE’s father was outside, working in the fields around their home. 

Recently, Zuni had removed JE and her brother from public school. She had also forbidden any visitors to their home for no reason beyond a vague statement of keeping the children safe. 

Sometime after 9 AM, Zuni called the 5 year old into the family home while JE stayed outside to play while her father worked. Some time later, Zuni came outside and called JE in, asking if she wanted to watch a movie. Zuni told her daughter that her brothers were both “So, so tired” and told JE not to enter their room because both children were currently sleeping.

JE searched for the television remote control in the couch while her mother was out of the room and rather than finding the remote, she discovered what she believed to be the handle of a knife between the couch cushions.

JE recounts that shortly after noon, her father came in from his work and checked on the boys. From her brother’s room, JE hears her father start screaming out “Why, honey, why!?” and her mother responded simply, “I had no choice. I had no choice.”

At 12:25 PM, the Isleta Police Department arrived at this home in response to a 911 call of a child not breathing and unresponsive. Upon arrival, they found a distraught father calling out “My son is gone!” Mariah Zuni, standing in the home, arms and neck covered in blood that had been partially washed away made the following statements, described as excited utterances, to responding officers: “He needed to die.” and that she did it to protect JE from a sex ring in their school. The reason for the insistence on this labeling of statements, as far as my years of law enforcement will permit me to remember, is that something deemed an “excited utterance” is a statement made from someone still in the stress of a situation, related to the situation, that can be made admissible as evidence rather than a form of hearsay due to the stress factors at play making their statements more likely to be truthful in nature.

Police carried JE, unharmed, out of the home while she cried that her father didn’t do it. As this occurred on tribal land, The police contacted the FBI at this point. 

Zuni made statements to responding officers that she was trying to protect her daughter, as she had somehow in her mind failed to protect her sons. In “failing” to protect her sons, she decided on her course of action. With her two oldest outside, she took a serrated bread knife and slit the throat of her youngest son on the morning of the 21st before calling her 5 year old inside to his room, at which time she did the same to him. In interrogations, she would tell the officers she used a bread knife because in her mind, it was the quickest and most painless option she had. 

During questioning, Zuni told officers “I knew in my heart that it was the only way to protect them.”  

Zuni also said something to the effect of “I took them out of this cruel, evil world and put them with my father.”

Mariah Zuni is currently awaiting trial.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

I AM GRANDO posted:

https://jalopnik.com/how-a-cult-built-the-o-rings-that-failed-on-the-space-s-1846151814

There’s a few Warren Jeffs working at the company now, but none of them are that Warren Jeffs.

His dad Rulon helped start it and was on the board, after the explosion it was sold to Rulons other son Wallace, and Rulon tried to have his name scrubbed from it.

Also Big Bird was originally intended to be on the Challenger.

https://nypost.com/2015/05/02/how-b...d%20the%20plan.

Big Bird — with Spinney in the suit — was originally slated to be a part of the Challenger space-shuttle mission in 1986, in the hopes of renewing kids’ interest in America’s space program. But the suit wouldn’t fit on the shuttle, so NASA scrapped the plan. The shuttle exploded soon after takeoff, killing its seven crew members — including schoolteacher Christa McAuliffe, who was selected in Spinney’s place.

Was the original plan for Mormons to assassinate Big Bird by way of exploding space shuttle?
SOME SAY YES!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

And if you can’t get enough of insane Mormon fundies, this is mandatory reading.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

To combine insane Mormon things and child trafficking there's Tim Ballard.

He rose to a lot of fame for creating a so called anti-trafficking organization tugging on the the heart strings of his followers by making dramatic rescue social media videos. They even made a movie about it, Sounds of Freedom starring Jim Caviezel, had endorsements from Glenn Beck, and the ear of the government. Turns out most of the stories were fabricated, Tim used a physic who had the ghost of a Book of Mormon character speak to her to help in his anti-trafficking efforts, believed he was on a path to become a prophet-type figure in the LDS church, and the money their anti-trafficking group was getting wasn't exactly going to that save the children effort. Oh, he also contrived a "couple's rouse" to where he'd have to practice sex acts with women employees in his group who were playing the role of his wife while doing under cover operations so that they could be more convincing to the traffickers.

Last year as all this came out he was denounced by the LDS church as they quickly scrubbed any affiliation with him. Now Tim looks to be changing religions and announced so at a recent Catholic Prayer for Trump event! https://bsky.app/profile/tokensandsigns.org/post/3kosbyc3t4u2v

edit:
If reddit links are OK, the exmormon community is huge there and does a good job of summarizing:
https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/17rai1e/summary_of_tim_ballard_affair/

AzureSkys has a new favorite as of 17:48 on Mar 30, 2024

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

What the gently caress is going on in New Mexico?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hey Jeffery Epstein had a nice big ranch in NM and just over the border in old Mexico I'm pretty sure the Romney's relatives in the FLDS got a ranch.

Just some nice ranch owners.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

WaywardWoodwose posted:

His dad Rulon helped start it and was on the board, after the explosion it was sold to Rulons other son Wallace, and Rulon tried to have his name scrubbed from it.

Also Big Bird was originally intended to be on the Challenger.

https://nypost.com/2015/05/02/how-b...d%20the%20plan.

Big Bird — with Spinney in the suit — was originally slated to be a part of the Challenger space-shuttle mission in 1986, in the hopes of renewing kids’ interest in America’s space program. But the suit wouldn’t fit on the shuttle, so NASA scrapped the plan. The shuttle exploded soon after takeoff, killing its seven crew members — including schoolteacher Christa McAuliffe, who was selected in Spinney’s place.

Was the original plan for Mormons to assassinate Big Bird by way of exploding space shuttle?
SOME SAY YES!

Genuine lol

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Honestly it sounds like what's happening is that woman had a psychotic episode or other serious mental disturbance and it ended tragically.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

AzureSkys posted:

If reddit links are OK

Reddit posts are ok but try to link quality ones, you know?

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Still the wild west, with:
Substantial poverty
Poor education
Land of mañana
A spectrum of official corruption
Everywhere is out of the way and isolated
Interminable wind storms
High UV index 300+ days a year

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Droogie posted:

Still the wild west, with:
Substantial poverty
Poor education
Land of mañana
A spectrum of official corruption
Everywhere is out of the way and isolated
Interminable wind storms
High UV index 300+ days a year

No it's because the aliens live under the ground

Adbot