Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
https://www.mississippifreepress.org/40991/cold-cases-officials-keeping-bodies-for-personal-collections-spurred-push-for-new-law

Hey

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

quote:

“rouge anthropologists”

the part about dexter wade is the key here. the system, or lack of one, was maintained like this to enable the officials to do what they tried to do with dexter wade: cover up the wrongful deaths of black people by just expeditiously disposing of the corpses without leaving any way for people to investigate poo poo. let 'em be missing persons forever. the only reason hinds county and jackson pd are changing their rules are because this time they got caught and are being sued and can't bury the suit in a similarly unmarked pauper's grave due to social media attention. there's a lot of cops all over the country who benefit from being able to conveniently lose people's dead bodies

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Jesus gently caress.

Brazilian woman pulls a Weekend At Bernie's, wheels a dead body into a bank to sign for a loan.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/17/brazil-woman-corpse-bank-fraud

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I know I saw a story about a guy doing this in the US a few years ago but I had no luck finding it in searches, but instead..

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/dead-mans-roommates-drove-body-withdraw-money-bank-account-police-say-rcna142584

Happened in Ohio a month ago :staredog:

MehrTentakelnBitte
Jun 27, 2014

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhl'apn
Is there another/more dedicated thread for non-crime topics? Stuff like The Bloop, animals acting weird, other generally unexplained things? I don't have anything to contribute, but this thread never pulled up from the murders/child abuse, and the fringe science thread died in like 2019. Finally made it to the end and regretting that I did :(

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

MehrTentakelnBitte posted:

Is there another/more dedicated thread for non-crime topics? Stuff like The Bloop, animals acting weird, other generally unexplained things? I don't have anything to contribute, but this thread never pulled up from the murders/child abuse, and the fringe science thread died in like 2019. Finally made it to the end and regretting that I did :(

There's Cryptids and Conspiracies which tries to steer away from humans being awful or current political crazies. Not exactly the same as genuinely unexplained since it's mostly about things we know are nonsense, but has some fun content.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961328

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Please feel free to post them here!

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
There's also a pseudoscience thread, if you just want laughable weirdness that may not have malice behind it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3100175

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Do You Like These AI Images of Dying, Mutilated Children? Facebook Algorithm Wonders

:siren: Heads up: AI images of dying, mutilated children :siren:

Every time I check Facebook I feel like I’ve entered into a Walmart on discontinued cough syrup. It’s gotten weird with the AI garbage.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

teen witch posted:

Do You Like These AI Images of Dying, Mutilated Children? Facebook Algorithm Wonders

Every time I check Facebook I feel like I’ve entered into a Walmart on discontinued cough syrup. It’s gotten weird with the AI garbage.

Ititiiginal is in OXXGEN!

Myself, I prefer Shrimp Jesus.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

teen witch posted:

Uuuugh. I've been endlessly blocking and reporting every single one of these things but there are endless mutations of these pages. Some of them are getting into serious gore and shock category.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I guess the most mysterious song on the internet (“Ulterior Motives”/” Everybody Knows That”) has been definitively sourced to a 1986 photographic film, Angels of Passion:

https://www.stereogum.com/2261440/mysterious-viral-80s-song-everybody-knows-that-finally-identified-after-three-year-hunt/news/

I don’t know if that fits the criteria for this thread, but it might lighten the mood temporarily.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

MehrTentakelnBitte posted:

The Bloop turned out to be really loud iceberg noises thousands of miles away.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

GWBBQ posted:

The Bloop turned out to be really loud iceberg noises thousands of miles away.

Hard disagree. That's just what the man wants you to think.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
it would be cooler if the bloop were a cryptid but instead it's the scariest thing, further evidence of our melting fuckin planet :sigh:

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

I AM GRANDO posted:

I guess the most mysterious song on the internet (“Ulterior Motives”/” Everybody Knows That”) has been definitively sourced to a 1986 photographic film, Angels of Passion:

https://www.stereogum.com/2261440/mysterious-viral-80s-song-everybody-knows-that-finally-identified-after-three-year-hunt/news/

I don’t know if that fits the criteria for this thread, but it might lighten the mood temporarily.

I’d say that discussion of “lost media” can definitely fit this thread. Sometimes it is some eerie stuff, but even in cases like this one it’s an unsettling reminder that having hundreds of people working on a question with nigh-infinite connection and information at their fingertips might never find an answer and some things may never be explained. Crimes, cryptids, weird VHS tapes from Goodwill - we must accept the fact that there is still an Unknowable.

Also, that the internet is becoming the polar opposite of connection and information, which is bizarre to watch as an elder millennial who lived through the “holy poo poo! The encyclopedia is all just there if I type in this string of characters? I don’t need to put a disc in anywhere?!? I’m going to be the smartest person ever! Society is about to improve a hundredfold!” naïveté of the turn of the century.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Busket Posket posted:

I’d say that discussion of “lost media” can definitely fit this thread. Sometimes it is some eerie stuff, but even in cases like this one it’s an unsettling reminder that having hundreds of people working on a question with nigh-infinite connection and information at their fingertips might never find an answer and some things may never be explained. Crimes, cryptids, weird VHS tapes from Goodwill - we must accept the fact that there is still an Unknowable.

Also, that the internet is becoming the polar opposite of connection and information, which is bizarre to watch as an elder millennial who lived through the “holy poo poo! The encyclopedia is all just there if I type in this string of characters? I don’t need to put a disc in anywhere?!? I’m going to be the smartest person ever! Society is about to improve a hundredfold!” naïveté of the turn of the century.

Reminds me of goons looking for Super Hornio Brothers.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

I AM GRANDO posted:

https://x.com/jasonkpargin/status/1784755030131703974?s=46&t=ZnTIZXYEMHcybQkkyT0AJQ

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
If we are doing lost songs, I think we should try finding the truth behind this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_M...0given%20to%20a

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Pretty sure there’s a Tim Powers novel about something like this.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BattyKiara posted:

If we are doing lost songs, I think we should try finding the truth behind this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_M...0given%20to%20a

This one genuinely haunts me.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Have they ever found where you get the original getout frog

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Have they ever found where you get the original getout frog

The origin of the frog itself is well known in these parts.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

The origin of the frog itself is well known in these parts.

Yes, the photo is well known, but AFAIK nobody found who made / sold the drat thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MehrTentakelnBitte
Jun 27, 2014

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhl'apn

Busket Posket posted:

as an elder millennial who lived through the “holy poo poo! The encyclopedia is all just there if I type in this string of characters? I don’t need to put a disc in anywhere?!? I’m going to be the smartest person ever! Society is about to improve a hundredfold!” naïveté of the turn of the century.

I'm slowly teaching my boomer mom how to google things. You don't even have to type anything or visit a search site, just highlight, right click, "Search Google for" :monocle: Having to do the same thing for Kids These Days is just as frustrating. You have to unzip the file first... no, I don't know how to do that on your phone; how are you even running [program] on your phone?!

In a similar vein, Asking Jeeves about cryptids and spooky stuff and finding obscure sites about them was magickal! Googling things like The Bloop 20 years later is kind of sad when it's almost always like yeah iceburg sounds, whale fat, misidentified remains, or just straight up hoaxes. I KNOW bigfeet/dogmen are obviously bears, but I still NEED that kind of mundane mystery. orz